Page 1 of 37 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How about a comparison for those who are looking beyond the 800 right now. I purchased a Touch Pro today so I will do a real side by side comparison.

PRICE (Touch Pro 1 vs. Treo 800w 0)
    First off go to Best Buy to pick your upgrade. They apply instant rebates where as the Sprint stores give you lots of paperwork for mail in's. What a pain. You will pay more at the Sprint store and leave wondering if you will be declined the mail in. Its an uneasy feeling. For some reason BB prices are lower. Samsung Instinct $49.99 at BB and $129.99 at Sprint. Weird.

800-$599 retail is hefty. If your upgrading $299. The value of the 800 declines every month. Why pay $299 for an upgrade with a 2 year contract? Power Sellers on eBay sell them for $239-$259 no 2 year contract required. If you have one odds are your selling if for much less than you paid.

Touch Pro-$579 retail still hefty here too. eBay has them for $425-$450 if you don't want to sign a contract. If your elgibile for an upgrade the $299 is nice. Later I am sure the value will still be there if you want to sell. Right now they are in high demand.

Winner-Touch Pro

BUILD QUALITY (Touch Pro 1 vs. Treo 800w 1)
    Many of us are not into sliding keyboard devices. I am actually one of those. The beauty part of sliders is it frees up the front of the device so the screen is nice and large. With Treo/BB devices you lose lots of screen real estate. With that said here is a side by side.

800-The Treo is well a Treo. The 800 has had the same look and design for years. It's built that way. It's pretty much a tank. It can be dropped and it will keep ticking.

Touch Pro-It's suprisingly solid. No creaking, no loose feel, no nothing. If this device was dropped it could possibly crack somewhere. It has chrome edge all around it and the front is flush glass. Hey, that's why we pay the insurance.

WINNER- Treo 800w

LOOKS (Touch Pro 2 vs. Treo 800w 1)
    Are you kidding? Maybe I shouldn't compare them in this category. However when you look at the pictures next to each other its clearly obvious how outdated the 800 looks. I won't go any further just look at the pictures. There really is no just in the pics. Just next to each other looks out of place.

WINNER- Touch Pro

SPEED (Touch Pro 2 vs. Treo 800w 2)
    I went in thinking the Touch Pro was going to be real slow with the horror stories I read. It is not the case. I am not noticing a huge difference and I have the same programs installed on each. The TP has a lot of bloatware. Like twice as much as the 800. The TouchFlo3D has to be farily large. I am giving the win to the 800 slightly and it's a tad speedier in the internet department. I tested both device 3 times and took an average. The 800 averaged 720kb/sec. The TP averaged 640kb/sec. Nothing you're going to notice while browsing.

WINNER- Treo 800w

PHONE QUALITY (Touch Pro 3 vs. Treo 800w 2)
    I have had 3 Treo 800's and all them suffered the same low muffled audio quality in the earpiece. Many have noticed this as well. Compared to say a BB Curve the 800 is not even average. The clear winner is the TP. It's not really a competition. I actually made phone calls in the car with the window down. Unheard of with the 800.

WINNER- Touch Pro

USER INTERFACE (Touch Pro 4 vs. Treo 800 2)
    HTC has gone all out with making customers comfortable navigating without even pulling the stylus thanks for TouchFlo3d. All nice sized fingered sized tabs and menus. If you want to show your iPhone friends that a Windows Mobile phone can be cool too then flip your finger up in the contacts and watch it spin like crazy. Oh, no need to download Weather apps, it's got it. No need to purchase Opera Browser 9.5, it's got it. Kinoma is a great app but the home plug can play movies and tunes on the today screen. Now if your not a TouchFlo fan no big deal. It can be disabled and you can use the TP just like the 800.

WINNER- Touch Pro

SCREEN (Touch Pro 5 vs. Treo 800 2)
    TP-First off the extra real estate is a nice welcome. There is no Sprint bar to try and hide. No cramming 10lbs of **** in a 3lb bag. It is the best looking screen ever on a PDA I've seen. Watching movies, browsing pictures and just navigating around it a pleasure.

800-The 800 well, you know, square city. I guess you can load VGA onto it not knowing it may cause other functions to freak out.

WINNER- Touch Pro

KEYBOARD (Touch Pro 5 vs. Treo 800 3)
    I will give this to the 800 because well, I'm posting this at TreoCentral. The PPC owners may disagree. I find the TP keyboard to be Ok. I like the fact that they added lots of shortcuts so once it's opened you can do more. It has a Text button, Email button, Comm Manager Button, Internet launch button. I've owned a Mogul and 6700 so I'm pretty use to it.

WINNER- Treo 800

CAMERA- (Touch Pro 6 vs. Treo 800 3)
    TP- Has the 3.2 MP Auto Focus with LED flash. The flash is useless. The Auto Focus is real nice and reminds me of the Sanyo M1.

800-Has the 2.0 MP Non Auto Focus with no Flash.

I took pics of the same structure with both in high resolution and both looked great. The 800 has a little more grain. The 800 even down over 1+ MP's holds its own in the daytime. In lower light the TP is much better. All in all the extra MP's do make the difference. The auto focus on the TP does take longer to snap pictures. The delay can be annoying if you're in a hurry.

WINNER- Touch Pro

BATTERY (No Results Yet)
    I just haven't had the TP long enough to put it through the battery paces. I do know it is performing much better than I thought right out of the box. I will reply tomorrow in this thread after a full day's use.

CONCLUSION
    Overall if you're in the market to try a cool PDA out for 30 days then go ahead and try the Touch Pro. It has everything you need plus more over the 800 and looks great doing it. If you can get over the slider quickly then you will love it. So far I am pretty impressed. I went in thinking it's a bulky, slow slider. It has shut me up and I'm hard to please. I do like the 800 as well but it has been a tough device to figure out. For instance the Touch Pro out of the box worked great with ActiveSync. With the 800 it's worked once. I have another 29 days with the TP and so far its looking like a keeper.

Here are some pics:

ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I guess you can load VGA onto it not knowing it may cause other functions to freak out.
    If you're referring to RealVGA by this comment, it actually significantly increases compatibility with applications.

And so far, I have yet to see a single function "freak out". There are some applications (primarily Palm's Maps program) which were hard coded to 128 DPI, but those are the exception rather than the norm.

If your not referring to RealVGA....well, then I have no clue what you're talking about.
  3.    #3  
    I am referring to real VGA. There is an easier way to load it vs. your way with Mortscript. There is one .CAB file on XDAdevelopers.com.

Since VGA is standard on the TP it obviously runs with everything installed on the device. VGA on the 800 may run everything but not tested on every device. For me it would probably not do so well since my device always has problems with most things I add.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I am referring to real VGA. There is an easier way to load it vs. your way with Mortscript. There is one .CAB file on XDAdevelopers.com.
    Actually it's still two. One for the application, and one for the Res pack.

And all the issues that folks have had loading mine have occurred with Tobias' version as well. (You can look up the original post that kicked off Real VGA for the 800w if you want to see that bit of history.)

(Not to mention that my version does a heck of a lot more than Tobias's does, if I do say so myself. )

Since VGA is standard on the TP it obviously runs with everything installed on the device. VGA on the 800 may run everything but not tested on every device.
    You are right that the Touch Pro does seem to already run at 96 DPI. However, not all programs will work on it simply because it has 96 DPI. There will be plenty of programs with compatibility issues.

Just like your statement on the 800w, not all applications are tested. There's simply not enough QA folks in the world to do so.

Additionally the difference between 128 DPI and 96 DPI is actually very small. The only compatibility issues that will crop up are from programs that don't support 96 DPI. By moving to 96 DPI the 800w can support applications that were not designed for a square screen, which opens up a huge range of applications.

And any applications that don't support 96 DPI on the 800w will likely have issues with the Touch Pro as well. There have been several programs where the developers have flat out said "We're not developing for 96 DPI", which would mean that they have no support for the Touch Pro either.

For me it would probably not do so well since my device always has problems with most things I add.
    You have a lot of unique issues that no one else is experiencing. You might load up RealVGA and have nothing but issues with it, but RealVGA is going on 4 months without a single major compatibility issue reported--aside from Maps which is just plain old sloppily coded and SPB Mobile Shell, where SPB has specifically said they do not support 96 DPI devices (which would include the Touch Pro). *knock on wood*

Couple hundred installs of RealVGA, and while I've heard complaints about the way it looks (nearly every complaint was that it's too small) I've heard virtually zilch on applications working in 128 DPI and not in 96 DPI.

You're free to your opinion of course, but as far as I'm concerned RealVGA is as solid as any of the other dozens (if not hundreds) of devices that are running in 96 DPI (including the Touch Pro). Months of use and hundreds of installs is a pretty decent beta test for me.

Anyway, I won't continue this (slight) hijack any further. Continue on, nothing to see here.
  5.    #5  
    I agree with your points. After having VGA it would be hard to go backwards. It's like having a regular tube TV then watching High Def. For here on out its nothing but VGA and up for me. I am convinced.

6.    #6  
    The YouTube application is very good. The quality is incredible.

I am trying to make my internet browsing experience much quicker. The Opera Browser is average. When you tilt the device to the side it automatically adjusts. This feature makes playing some games really fun. The view is too small. If I set it larger it doesn't fit on the screen. I will need to figure the browswer stuff out.

Also I found the zoom feature by accident. Take your index finger and run it around the circular d pad. Had no idea it worked like that.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just didnt like any of the new HTC is because of finger print city. Man, you talk about finger prints everywhere. I just hate it.
    VibrantRedGT, this was a very good and comprehensive comparison review.

I'm a little surprised you got slower Internet speed from the Touch Pro, since some others have found it to run faster in testing. Turn off Touch Flo, soft reset and run a bandwidth test on the Touch Pro, to see how it compares with the 800w's internet speed then.

Does the Touch Pro have an on screen keyboard (in addition to the slider, a touch screen keyboard perhaps) and if so how well does it work for you?

I'm really wondering though, does the HTC Touch Pro have the feature of the 800w? Soft reset while connected to USB, the device hangs and just remains stuck till you remove the battery. I'm just wondering if HTC put this "feature" in their device? No one ever mentioned that "feature" as part of the 700wx or Treo Pro. Does the Touch Pro have this "feature"?
    (Dear Palm, Jedi mind tricks only work in the movies.)
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I saw the HTC Pro on fleabay for as low as $138.50 and its OEM and ship from HK. With 20% from live thats a great deal.

Any toughts?
    Nice job on the review. Its sounds like a pretty cool device. The company Palm is all but dead. I might have to move on to a slider one day.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm really wondering though, does the HTC Touch Pro have the feature of the 800w? Soft reset while connected to USB, the device hangs and just remains stuck till you remove the battery. I'm just wondering if HTC put this "feature" in their device? No one ever mentioned that "feature" as part of the 700wx or Treo Pro. Does the Touch Pro have this "feature"?
    My 800w does not do that, just tested it. Are you sure its not some bad software on your phone?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    My 800w does not do that, just tested it. Are you sure its not some bad software on your phone?
    RC46, what I mentioned happens for everyone. It does not happen every time though. This special feature does occur often though. Palm says it's a "feature". It has been the topic of more than one thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172054

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174391
  13.    #13  
    The internet speeds are near identical.

The external soft reset is here! It is on the bottom. Put the stylus in the little hole. No pulling the batter for those who do not have a soft reset program.

Speaking of stylus. They supply a real metal heavy duty stylus. Oh its magnetized with the device. It sucks it in tight.

I forgot to mention. The circle D pad has a white LED around it. When a message hits it aluminates in a circle pattern. I didn't see it in the day but wondered where the LED light was.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I saw the HTC Pro on fleabay for as low as $138.50 and its OEM and ship from HK. With 20% from live thats a great deal.

Any toughts?
    A Sprint HTC Touch Pro or GSM? If Sprint, send me the URL and don't tell anybody else .

I've mentioned before, the guys in Japan seem to get stuff really cheap, but it's usually not the name brand. Check the description carefully, they often say what they are selling is "like" or "similar to" the named brand product. I ordered a car mount from one of them and it works great, I use it when traveling in cars other than my own, since I've got Proclip in my car. I think the guys in Japan are somehow getting stuff direct from the companies that make it, minus the big name branding, but likely the exact same product.
    No pulling the batter for those who do not have a soft reset program.
    You know with the 800w, you sometimes have to pull the battery even if you have a soft reset program, because when the device is doing too much multitasking it just may lock up or die. Perhaps other devices do the same when over worked by running multiple resource intensive applications, but at least with the Touch Pro you don't have to pull the battery to soft reset.
  16.    #16  
    I disabled TouchFlo and a few other things and I am averaging over 1000kb/sec. It is very fast.

Couple of things I do not like.

The D pad is pretty bad. Luckily everything can be touched with a finger.

When the keyboard light goes out it will not come back on unless I press something. The Mogul had a sensor and I would just rub my finger over it and the keyboard would light. I can't find a sensor.

This is all I have for now. Tomorrow I will spend a full day with it.

Oh, did I mention the jack is miniUSB. I charged it with my PS3 earlier. I have a ton of mini acessories. So glad to get away from Micro. What a mess that is.
    I disabled TouchFlo and a few other things and I am averaging over 1000kb/sec. It is very fast.
    Just as I figured. When the devices are compared running nearly the same applications, the superior hardware of the HTC Touch Pro improves data transfer rates. This results in higher bandwidth test results.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So can you turn off all that flashy touch flo stuff and use it just like a normal PDA or does the touch flo make the device? I already see custom roms available, wondering if you can flash without the touch flo stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Just as I figured. When the devices are compared running nearly the same applications, the superior hardware of the HTC Touch Pro improves data transfer rates. This results in higher bandwidth test results.
    Bandwidth tests using the device are generally not accurate.

I ran a bunch and got anywhere from 400 to 600 kb/s down. I then setup my phone as a modem, and ran the same tests from my PC. Speeds were very steady at a bit over 700 kb/s.

Same exact speed test program, and same file size (1 meg), on the same site, tests done within 15 minutes of each other.

If you want to truly test the speed of the network, and nothing else, using the phone as a modem and testing from a PC will be the most accurate.
    Great review. To compare speed or LCDs is a joke. The Touch Pro crushes the 800w. Don't even start talking about the working GPS on the Touch Pro. LOL

The real comparison will be between the Touch Pro and the Treo Pro.
Page 1 of 37 12345611 ... LastLast