Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I wouldn't quote HTC Fuze users. For some reason the Fuze and Touch Pro are different. I cannot use a Fuze ROM on my device. Well I can't say all of them but many. Also there is a difference in battery life between the two. The Fuze gets better battery life.

I'm not finding anything different using GPS on this device vs. the 800. Like I mentioned I find it quicker. Now I have yet to do a test on how many feet it's off. I know with the phones they don't have the accelermeter. I will tonight when I go to a Christmas party at the Diplomat. I don't know how to get there so I'll use GPS.
    Correct. The GPS on the Touch Pro is amazing and everything that the 800w should have been but isn't. It even works perfectly with programs like iGuidance.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Standalone GPS after a hard reset is confirmed. Do NOT try that test on the 800w unless you like watching paint dry.
    Where are you located and who is your service provider? Curious... Even Palm's website advertises the GPS as only working on a carrier's network so I'm wondering if that's a U.S. only issue or maybe based on carrier.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    Where are you located and who is your service provider? Curious... Even Palm's website advertises the GPS as only working on a carrier's network so I'm wondering if that's a U.S. only issue or maybe based on carrier.

Thanks!
    I think he's talking about Touch Pro not 800w
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    I think he's talking about Touch Pro not 800w
    Same question, then... Sprint has told me that the Touch Pro has a bug that makes standalone GPS not work properly. They are not promising a fix. Maybe other carriers have it working?
    Well I just used Sprint Navigation for 47 minutes. Had it plugged in the car charger the entire time. Did that because of the claims that the device overheats and freezes. It is not the case. It was cool the entire trip. Talking with it charging does get hot so that one is true.

I tested to see how off the device was during routine turns. It was off 43 feet just about everytime. I tested it on 10 turns.

I am extremely pleased with the performance of GPS on this device. Plus it does standalone.

Treo is on eBay. I am keeping this one. I don't need 30 days to decide.
    Thanks for checking into this, best of luck with your Touch Pro...
    Same question, then... Sprint has told me that the Touch Pro has a bug that makes standalone GPS not work properly. They are not promising a fix. Maybe other carriers have it working?
    Why would you listed to what an $8/hr sales drone has to say? The GPS on the Touch Pro works perfectly and the 800w is fatally flawed and will never be fixed.
    Why would you listed to what an $8/hr sales drone has to say? The GPS on the Touch Pro works perfectly and the 800w is fatally flawed and will never be fixed.
    It's not flawed if you don't need standalone. Personally, I never have need for non-standalone GPS. Maybe a bit of perspective would be productive. I recognize that no phone's perfect, and my kids are healthy, so I'm pretty content.
  8.    #128  

I already tested standalone in this thread. Works fine on the Touch Pro. Does not work on the 800. That is what we are discussing.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is not a sales drone... this is after several hours on the phone with "advanced" technical support (their word, not mine) after being told so many different things that were obviously wrong by others. They claimed to research the issue and came back with the comments that yes, it's supposed to work and, yes, there is a bug report on it and it will probably not be resolved.

If the Touch Pro works on SPRINT, perfectly, then I'm less concerned (except to wonder what the bug report is really about), but have you tried this with a Sprint-issued phone and network? Sprint has told me that they offer no handsets with standalone GPS capability. They've told me this many times and is what brought about this discussion with the ATS group (to get a "final" answer). Seems it still may not be final.

My skepticism is well-founded as I was told by many people (at Palm, Sprint and on-line in forums like this) that the 800w was standalone (this was months ago, mind you). As we all know, it's not, and I don't want to go down the same path, again. I would try the Touch Pro, myself, but since it's unavailable right now everywhere I look, that's not possible.
    Hey VRGT

Have you tried to record calls on your Touch Pro?

Well, it works. Make your call, turn on rear speaker, minimize the phone app, launch the voice recorder, tap the red record button and it records both sides.

You and the other party through the rear speaker.

I remember this did not work on the 800's I had.

11.    #131  
    I had no idea it could do that. Thanks. I must try it now.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If the Touch Pro works on SPRINT, perfectly, then I'm less concerned (except to wonder what the bug report is really about), but have you tried this with a Sprint-issued phone and network?
    You might try reading the entire thread.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So how about a one week update on the Touch Pro.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    So how about a one week update on the Touch Pro.
    So it's been a week.

The first week I used the device with TouchFlo3D turned off. For people who don't even know what TouchFlo is, it's HTC's own user interface. You can see pictures of the screens and menus on page 1 of this thread. A couple of things without using it. The device is faster and it is noticeable. Also it took me a few days to figure out where everything was. When TouchFlo3d is turned off you will notice in the Memory area that 30MB is added. Imagine if your Treo lost 30MB then add in running programs. It will slow down and you will know it. For most of you guys upgrading to the Touch Pro I am almost positive you will use it with TouchFlo turned off. I happen to like it now because I am use to it. Plus you will not have to load up weather applications, media players, YouTube (has it's own YouTube player and it's awesome) and more.

I know it did not grade the battery life but after a week I can now. Battery life is better than the 800. I think we all knew that (well maybe a few members won't agree). It's not huge over the 800. Now I don't believe in manufacture paper numbers. That's not realistic. I am a heavy user I right away I can tell you I charged the 800 2-3 times a day. I charge the Touch Pro 1 time per day.

Let me clear the air on stuff people have mentioned on other forum sites.

1. The device overheats when using navigation on the charger. Totally not true. I had a Christmas party at the diplomat and no idea how to get there. I used Sprint Navigation for 47 minutes straight. It was warm at best. Also I did mention this earlier but standalone GPS does work as well.

2. The device gets hot when on the charger and on a call. This one is true. My 800 got warm as well. The TP gets a little warmer. It does not overheat or freeze.

Everyone wants to know how quickly the screen turns to landscape when the slide open the keyboard. This depends on if you have TouchFlo3D turned on. There is a lag. TouchFlo off and its quicker.

I have to mention if you don't like using your fingers on the screen then this device is not for you. You scroll menus faster with your finger than with the D pad. I mean everything can be done with your finger. I don't use the stylus. In fact I lost mine a few days ago and didn't notice until last night. Actually I dropped the phone and it fell hard. The device exploded on impact. The battery, cover and stylus scattered all over. I have a dent on the chrome. Not happy about this.

The phone portion is awesome. The voice quality is incredible. Its so much better than the 800. I actually have to turn the volume down at times. Also the speakerphone is great too. My 800 had the crackling problem. I can hold a conversation on the speakerphone with no problems. The Ringers is really loud. I have it set on about 75%. Another area that lacks on the 800.

Another great thing about the TP is support. XDA Developer and PPC Geeks offer so much support. Custom ROM's, application fixes, registry hacks and much more. It's pretty overwhelming. Some of the member on here do a great job for the 800. Go check the websites I mentioned in the Touch Pro and Diamond section, you will be amazed.

I can go on but overall I am very happy. This is a keeper for me. I just offers so much more than the 800. Plus the screen is just amazing. I mentioned earlier its like going from a tube tv to HD. Once you've been there you can't go backwards. When I power up the 800 I get a chuckle at the screen. It just looks old next to the TP. Listen I am not saying the 800 is crap, in fact I do like it. However I just find the TP way more advanced. When will Palm get a VGA screen, 3.2MP camera or their own UI? Another 2 years? I just can't wait that long for Palm to catch up with the competition. I just don't see it happening. HTC sales in 1 month topped $528 Million. I think they are doing very well in an economy that's hurting. Palm on the other hand is going the other way. I hope they can turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Personally, I never have need for non-standalone GPS.
    That means you never have need for aGPS. aGPS is non-standalone GPS and you said you never have need for non-standalone GPS .

Sprint has told me that they offer no handsets with standalone GPS capability. They've told me this many times and is what brought about this discussion with the ATS group (to get a "final" answer). Seems it still may not be final.

My skepticism is well-founded as I was told by many people (at Palm, Sprint and on-line in forums like this) that the 800w was standalone (this was months ago, mind you). As we all know, it's not, and I don't want to go down the same path, again. I would try the Touch Pro, myself, but since it's unavailable right now everywhere I look, that's not possible.
    Even some people who are supposed to be knowledgable about devices at Sprint don't know what they are talking about at times. I've found speaking to users who have the devices is way more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hey VRGT

Have you tried to record calls on your Touch Pro?

Well, it works. Make your call, turn on rear speaker, minimize the phone app, launch the voice recorder, tap the red record button and it records both sides.

You and the other party through the rear speaker.

I remember this did not work on the 800's I had.

Sweet!

VRGT, regarding the touch screen keyboard, how do you feel it compares with the ?

Battery life is better than the 800.
    I am a heavy user I right away I can tell you I charged the 800 2-3 times a day. I charge the Touch Pro 1 time per day.
    The phone portion is awesome. The voice quality is incredible. Its so much better than the 800....Also the speakerphone is great too....I can hold a conversation on the speakerphone with no problems.

I guess I can forget about you going back to the Curve .

Another great thing about the TP is support. XDA Developer and PPC Geeks offer so much support. Custom ROM's, application fixes, registry hacks and much more. It's pretty overwhelming. Some of the member on here do a great job for the 800. Go check the websites I mentioned in the Touch Pro and Diamond section, you will be amazed.
    Obviously, with the Touch Pro, following the heard is not a bad thing.

Listen I am not saying the 800 is crap, in fact I do like it. However I just find the TP way more advanced.
    I was just saying something similar to this to my wife the other day.

I just can't wait that long for Palm to catch up with the competition.
    By the time Palm gets what the competition has, the competiton will have moved on to something else even better.

Palm had me while I was on the Palm OS. Now that I've moved to WM, I'm seeing the light like a man coming out of a long dark cave. Sorry Palm, you were fun for a while, but I know no more of your products have my eye. After I'm done with my 800w I'll be done with Palm. And it can't be said enough times, this thing looks horrible!
  16.    #136  
    Oh, I forgot to mention anything about the on screen keyboard. It has the same one in the HD YouTube video you linked. When you look up contacts that keyboard pops up so you can press D for Darnell and it takes you to the D's. This way you don't have to open the slider. I've typed on that keyboard a few times in other areas and it's actually good.

No Curve for me. It also has outdated stuff on it. If the Bold or Storm were on Sprint I'd take a look at it. In fact my wife wanted either of these.

Let me clear the air on stuff people have mentioned on other forum sites.
    Keep in mind that the Touch Pro you are using is quite different than other carriers Touch Pro's.

It's a known fact that some of them are using completely different hardware, and HTC had announced fixing several bugs (which as I understand it is what delayed the Sprint Touch Pro's release).

Anyway, a lot of the things reported are most likely true, just not for Sprint's version of the Touch Pro.

It's good stuff to know, don't get me wrong. But it's important to keep in mind for those folks who are reading this and thinking about getting a Touch Pro for another carrier.
  18.    #138  
    You are correct. I have a late version. Also the Fuze IS a different animal. The Fuze battery life for some reason way than the Sprint version. Also many ROM's are not compatible. I think I pointed out in the first thread that I have the Sprint version.

You are correct. .
    lol... yes, I am...

What a read... considering how you have blasted the 800w since day 1, it is not hard to fathom that you would speak so highly of another device in the 800 thread.

Glad to see some things never change on treocentral... just ways of doing it change. Not sure why people put up with this drivel. Would be a nice comparison if it came from someone who liked the 800w... but from someone who hated the 800w from the jump, I'm not sure how much worth can be gained from this thread.

For the record, I ditched my 800w long ago for another device... I don't even like the 800w... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20.    #140  
    Such a hypocrite. You get on anybody who says anything bad at whatever device you have at the time. When anyone said anything negative about the 800 you defended it like crazy. Now you own a tank (Q9C) so the 800 is crap to you. Im sure when the tank days are over you give Moto the finger and defend your next device.
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 12/10/2008 at 01:50 AM. Reason: removed 'What a deuche.'

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast