Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    how r u testing standalone...i have a touch pro in my pro in my hands ....so far im really liking this device way more than my treo 800
    • go outside
    • power off phone radio
    • soft reset device
    • try to get GPS to initialize (google maps, gpstoday, live search) w/radio still off

or fly to Europe

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2.    #102  
    Google says "Must be used with Data Connection". Unless I'm doing the test wrong.

Go Outside
    Power Off Radio
    Soft Reset
    Try to get GPS to initialize through Google Maps
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    You need to have WiFi enabled so it can download maps.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You need to have WiFi enabled so it can download maps.
    It worked. Did I do it right?

Radio Off
    Soft Reset
    WiFi Enabled
    Live Search
    Center on GPS
    It found me quickly.

Just did some directions as well.
    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 12/05/2008 at 03:31 PM.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    It appears to, yes.

The only question would be since you already have GPS data downloaded, if it could do a cold boot from GPS (instead of aGPS). I'm not sure how you clear the data on the Touch Pro (the 800w has an option in the ##GPS# menu). But at the absolutely worst case scenario, you could use GPS as standalone provided you initialized it within the last few days (typically data is stored about 4-5 days out). I suspect it'll do a cold boot as well just fine.
  6.    #106  
    Wouldn't the soft reset erase the data? I thought that is why I was told to do the soft reset. Also Memmaid erases cache from Google Maps and Live Search.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Wouldn't the soft reset erase the data? I thought that is why I was told to do the soft reset. Also Memmaid erases cache from Google Maps and Live Search.
    Nope. And MemMaid doesn't erase the GPS data (only program data).

A hard reset would erase it.

Other than that you'd have to move far enough away that the old data would be useless, or not use GPS for a week. If you really wanted to test it a hard reset would be the real way to go.
  8.    #108  
    Nope. And MemMaid doesn't erase the GPS data (only program data).

A hard reset would erase it.

Other than that you'd have to move far enough away that the old data would be useless, or not use GPS for a week. If you really wanted to test it a hard reset would be the real way to go.
    I will do a hard reset once I load a custom ROM up. Maybe next week.

I also fired up the 800 and did the same test (radio is dead since it's not active). Got a goose egg. Not that we didn't know it doesn't do standalone.

Standalone GPS after a hard reset is confirmed. Do NOT try that test on the 800w unless you like watching paint dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Wait...that is Mogul, lol. hold on...
    Update: dunno if anyone has tried a Sprint TP in Europe yet.
    The GPS Lag/Sprint Nav was definitely TP though.
    The Touch Pro GPS works fine in Europe. I've tested it.

The alleged GPS "lag" on the Touch Pro at least relative to other smartphones such as the treo pro or treo 800w is a myth, and you can see same position accuracy and innacuracy it if you run them side by side. ALL three give you a lag to one degree or another, but the same amount, when changing movement speed.

Integrated car GPS's have accelerometers, handheld GPS and smart phones don't. Various handheld programs, whether in the dedicated handlheld or instlled on wm smartphone have position lag compensating mechanisms via software. That is why if you go into a tunnel you see yourself moving even a couple of minutes after gps is lost, but if you vary your speed the speed indicated doesnt change.
    But at the absolutely worst case scenario, you could use GPS as standalone provided you initialized it within the last few days (typically data is stored about 4-5 days out).
    Nope. Sprint ADS tested this specifically. It wont work for if you move off the original tower without continuous sat lock. If you hold at least three sats you are ok, if not you lose it and you cant require sats until you get a sprint terrestrial tower download again. that is why even in the states while driving you will lose GPS ability from between 15 minutes to a couple of hours if you are outside of towers.
  12.    #112  
    I am loading up a custom ROM today if I have time. After a hard reset I will test standalone again before I flash.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The alleged GPS "lag" on the Touch Pro at least relative to other smartphones such as the treo pro or treo 800w is a myth, and you can see same position accuracy and innacuracy it if you run them side by side. ALL three give you a lag to one degree or another, but the same amount, when changing movement speed.
    Have to disagree with you here. There wouldn't be this much discussion/controversy over at XDA if something wasn't up. Those guys have had GPS on a plethora of HTC devices for years now and know when something is not behaving correctly.
    At the moment, for me, the only way to use TomTom 7 is via an external BT GPS device. I don't get why the time for a GPS fix is a minute at least (stationary, in car, clear view of sky), and why my location appears to be 300 metres away from where I actually am. I don't think the VGA screen has anything to do with CPU lagging etc.
    I have a Touch Pro, an Eten M800 with a very good Sirf Star III GPS receiver, a Sirf Star III external GPS receiver Holux 236 (also a very good GPS receiver) and a Tytn II.

I put my Touch Pro (TP) and my Eten M800, both with Tomtom 7, side by side, running in the car, driving about 60Km/h. I observed that Touch Pro has a lag of 1sec in time in the voice instructions and 10 to 20m of distance in the map.
    (he does further tests too)
    My TP have lags and cant get cold fix, the fixes it found always disappears in a few seconds, not stable.But my friend's tp gps works like a charm and with my globalsat ext. bluetooth gps receiver it works like a charm too.Both of them with the same softwares.
    I exchanged my Fuze this morning because of GPS issues, and now I got one with a bad USB connector + bad GPS. I can see 9 satellites within 60 seconds of starting GPS Test, but none of them change from yellow to green for longer than 1 second.
    I have this exact same problem. GPS test gets 8 bars of satellites, and about half will go be green and half will be yellow, but they switch around about every 10 seconds. I've only been successful once in getting a lock in GPS test and I never again could replicate my results. I've tried all the roms, stock att, romeos, and pdaviet plus I've tried the 28 and 32 radios plus stock spl and hardspl with the stock rom. I've just resorted to my Holux M-1200 for gps now, works great with tomtom and usually locks into the satellites before I can even get my stylus out to open up tomtom. Just wish the gps I paid for inside of the phone would work correctly.
    My experience today... time to lock 14 minutes. My settings as follows:

1) Sky clear.
    2) Fresh soft reset.
    3) Freshly updated QuickGPS.
    4) GPS settings, COM4, Hardware port: (None), Baud rate 4800.
    5) AGPS off everywhere.
    6) Software, TomTom 7.9, GPS set to "Built-in"
    7) ATT Fuze, stock rom and radio.
    28 pages ad nauseum...; that was just one thread on the topic.

Now, in fairness, we reported that supposedly the GPS issues were addressed with the Sprint release (once again, confirming that there was a general problem), so perhaps there is a difference in performance here:
    Quote Originally Posted by criticalaudioinc
    One was the GPS lag which turned out to be a reg fix or change, The issue was the GPS was set to refrease ever 100ms and that is two high and fast and the GPS will shut off or fail. The change was to set to every 300ms which is a good setting and the same setting for GPS refresh rate as the Tom Tom and Garman
    In other words the "...chip was refreshing faster than the software programs, thus causing the delay in positioning on the maps".

Then again, Sprint people are complaining too. Perhaps it is not a GPS issue per se, but as Ebag alluded too, a problem with allocation of CPU resources, which may also be tied to the slow video performance. In other words either the GPS calculation is getting downgraded in favor of graphics processing, or vice versa and the whole system gets "behind". Notice how the lag issues are generally reported with graphic intensive programs like iGo, TomTom, Sprint Nav etc. but not so much with Live Search?

The above, plus some of the slow cold start times (a separate issue, related to hardware configuration setup) seems all connected. Just a guess.

My bet (haven't looked): you won't see similar reports with the Samsung Omnia, which appears to have proper graphics acceleration + GPS, but uses a Marvel processor instead of Qualcomm. Perhaps all roads lead back to Qualcomm? lol
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/06/2008 at 11:19 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #114  
    I wouldn't quote HTC Fuze users. For some reason the Fuze and Touch Pro are different. I cannot use a Fuze ROM on my device. Well I can't say all of them but many. Also there is a difference in battery life between the two. The Fuze gets better battery life.

I'm not finding anything different using GPS on this device vs. the 800. Like I mentioned I find it quicker. Now I have yet to do a test on how many feet it's off. I know with the phones they don't have the accelermeter. I will tonight when I go to a Christmas party at the Diplomat. I don't know how to get there so I'll use GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Have to disagree with you here. There wouldn't be this much discussion/controversy over at XDA if something wasn't up. Those guys have had GPS on a plethora of HTC devices for years now and know when something is not behaving correctly.
    I think the long thread, which I read is not a good comparative analysis. Respectfully I have compared them.

Firstly you see more lag on google maps position only then you see on TomTom with all three devices I tested side by side (treo pro, touch pro, treo 800w). that seems counter-intuitive, to computational time issues since google maps is not route calculating, but it makes sense if you consider that TomTom defenatly has some compensation algortym built in (again why you see movement even when in tunnels, but that movemnt is based on your last speed). There is some kind of spped averaging going on with TomTom

For example on two 800ws in my vehicle, one running google maps and one running tomtom I get more of a position lag on google maps. (TomTom clearly has a software compensation, google maps does not).

But if I run TomTom concurrently on a 800w and a touch pro in the same vehicle at highest zoom I see the identical position.

A 28 page thread of people not doing comparative analysis of different devices trying TomTom, Google maps as well as just raw positioning, doesn't mean it is 28 pages of meaningful data. Some of these programs these guys are comparing with use "road snap" some to not.

You did quote one guy doing a comparative test, but he should try that same test on an 800w. My 800w positions BETTER with less lag with a puck then the internal as well!

My point was to offer observations on the smartphone devices as compared to one another. I am not getting a lag difference in the three discussed.
    I'm not finding anything different using GPS on this device vs. the 800.
    Same here. Side by side I found the exact same position lag at speed and especially at varying speed between the two
    The GPS debates over at xda cover different hardware variations of the diamond/touch pro on different carriers with different tweaks and fixes.

I originally asked VibrantGT about the GPS lag because he had a new Sprint Touch Pro with the latest fixes and he could relay his personal experience (hopefully giving us a clearer picture than that mess).

It's good to hear that aero and nsxprime are also confirming standalone...

Aero, were you using a Sprint Touch Pro when you were in Europe?
  18.    #118  
    Well I just used Sprint Navigation for 47 minutes. Had it plugged in the car charger the entire time. Did that because of the claims that the device overheats and freezes. It is not the case. It was cool the entire trip. Talking with it charging does get hot so that one is true.

I tested to see how off the device was during routine turns. It was off 43 feet just about everytime. I tested it on 10 turns.

I am extremely pleased with the performance of GPS on this device. Plus it does standalone.

Treo is on eBay. I am keeping this one. I don't need 30 days to decide.
  19.    #119  
    I DROPPED THE TOUCH PRO!!!! OMG, I am so pissed. My son accidentally kicked the bottom of my holster and it came out then hit the floor hard. Got a big ol'dent. Not even a week. I haven't dropped a phone since my Sanyo 9000 (check my sig below to see how long ago that was). Everything still works fine so far. I guess I can change the score on page where I said the Touch Pro would probably explode if it hit the ground. It took the hit very well.

I DROPPED THE TOUCH PRO!!!! OMG, I am so pissed. My son accidentally kicked the bottom of my holster and it came out then hit the floor hard. Got a big ol'dent.
    That really sucks.

Got a piccie of the dent? Curious to see how bad it is.