Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 724
  1. gottria's Avatar
    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    #61  
    So I wonder what the TP would look like without the Touchflo 3D stuff and Ultimate Launcher configured how you like. I'm running UL on the 800w just to have more screen space. Never liked the square screens but loved having one handed keyboards.
  2. #62  
    My first 800w died this week. I got a replacement from Sprint last night. I could not talk them into giving me a TP. The rep who helped me had one for her personal phone and had nothing but good things to say. Of course, they said that I was only person they had heard of having any problems with the 800w.
  3.    #63  
    Here are the battery charging results.

    My Laptop does charge the device. It's not fast but it actually works.

    You can see the time stamp up in the corner.


    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  4. #64  
    Sorry, ebag, the Touch Pro charges just fine via USB and so does the Touch Diamond.

    As for the sound quality, anything is better than the 800w. Tethering is also faster via the Touch Pro.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That makes sense. The HTC ROM's aren't quite as power efficient as Palm's, and there's a lot more hardware being driven there.

    Major bummer you can't charge via USB though. That'd be a deal breaker to me since I often travel where charging by the wall wart is not feasible/possible.
    TP charges over USB, just two differences:

    (1)Not as fast as 800w (already pointed out)

    (2) If the temp hits ~141F internally, charging will turn off.

    Now *all* devices do that (even the 800w) but the Diamond & Pro run extra hot due to their processor/hardware, so it is more common.

    People have reported problems charging & using the phone (speakerphone), video (slingbox) or GPS for extended durations (20mins +).

    Basically it stops charging so you have a depleted battery after the event. YMMV.
  6. #66  
    Makes sense Mal. I noticed that Vibrant posted a correction/clarification about that above.


    Vibrant: Have you noticed and video driver issues?
  7. #67  
    VibrantGT, good review and thanks for sharing all this info. I was seriously tempted by the Touch Pro, but knew I would regret getting the slider so I passed. But you're making me having second thoughts, lol.

    I'll be curious to see how your impression changes (if it does) over the next few weeks.

    Any feeback on the GPS performance?
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlmer Bear View Post
    My first 800w died this week. I got a replacement from Sprint last night. I could not talk them into giving me a TP. The rep who helped me had one for her personal phone and had nothing but good things to say. Of course, they said that I was only person they had heard of having any problems with the 800w.

    Ha! Pure bs. I'm on my fourth 800W at this point. One had a ringer that was barely audible, another would turn on and off its own and the n key activated the space bar, and another froze up at the Palm screen, never to turn on again. The unit I have now is okay, but won't wake up when I try to turn it on at random times. I was using my 700WX while waiting for a replacement for my current phone, and by do I miss that phone. It lacked certain bells and whistles, but it was rock solid and reliable.

    If the Touch Pro wasn't as delicate looking as it is, I'd have jumped on it already. I feel like it'd scratch up really quick.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    VibrantGT, good review and thanks for sharing all this info. I was seriously tempted by the Touch Pro, but knew I would regret getting the slider so I passed. But you're making me having second thoughts, lol.

    I'll be curious to see how your impression changes (if it does) over the next few weeks.

    Any feeback on the GPS performance?
    GPS has a few cool features. First as mentioned earlier in the thread that there is program called QuickGPS. You press download and it can speed up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellite data via an internet connection. I am finding that when using Sprint Navigation or Live Search it is detecting my position much faster than the Treo. It is noticeable too. In fact my Treo last week going to a destination connected so slow I had missed exists because it was taking to long to find my current position. The TP has corrected the lag.

    This device seems to be a keeper so I will keep reporting back.

    Another cool thing I just found out today. Ever put your Treo down like on a Bed or Couch then the phone rings but can't be heard? It's because the speaker location is on its back. Well the TP moved the speaker to the top of the device so no matter how you put it down the ringer is loud and crisp. Guess they learned this from the BB Curve.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Any feeback on the GPS performance?
    This may have been corrected with Sprint's TP, but there are several long threads about GPS lag on the TP (over on XDA).

    Someone even made a program which seems to help, by making sure there's some CPU free to run the GPS drivers. Apparently the intermediary drivers have a low CPU priority, so any running programs can eat up all available CPU and leave little/nothing for the drivers (which causes the lag). Seems to be a problem with more CPU intensive programs.

    No personal experience, just what I've seen on XDA.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    This may have been corrected with Sprint's TP, but there are several long threads about GPS lag on the TP (over on XDA).

    Someone even made a program which seems to help, by making sure there's some CPU free to run the GPS drivers. Apparently the intermediary drivers have a low CPU priority, so any running programs can eat up all available CPU and leave little/nothing for the drivers (which causes the lag). Seems to be a problem with more CPU intensive programs.

    No personal experience, just what I've seen on XDA.
    Well that is why everyone's TP should be set up with the X-out program enabled. I never have any programs running ever. I have over 150MB free and GPS position time is fast. Another beautiful thing is what you just mentioned. Plenty of support from sites like XDA and PPCGeeks. Palm isn't fixing your GPS ever. You got what you got. Please excuse me if they come off rude, I am not trying to down play the Treo. I happen to like it. The problem is Palm will not be supporting the 800 anytime soon. Support hackers will not be able to make it a standalone device either.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    GPS has a few cool features. First as mentioned earlier in the thread that there is program called QuickGPS. You press download and it can speed up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellite data via an internet connection. I am finding that when using Sprint Navigation or Live Search it is detecting my position much faster than the Treo. It is noticeable too. In fact my Treo last week going to a destination connected so slow I had missed exists because it was taking to long to find my current position. The TP has corrected the lag.
    Sorry I was actually referring to real-time tracking performance vs. TTFF, but it's good to hear that it locks quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT
    Another cool thing I just found out today. Ever put your Treo down like on a Bed or Couch then the phone rings but can't be heard? It's because the speaker location is on its back. Well the TP moved the speaker to the top of the device so no matter how you put it down the ringer is loud and crisp. Guess they learned this from the BB Curve.
    Yeah that just makes sense. I don't want to go on a rant, but seriously I don't understand why it takes these guys (i.e. Palm) so many years and iterations of hardware to figure basic stuff like this out. Do they not use focus groups, do competetive analysis, or have a beta program, honestly...
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Well that is why everyone's TP should be set up with the X-out program enabled. I never have any programs running ever. I have over 150MB free and GPS position time is fast.
    It's not a case of lack of memory. It's a case of lack of CPU.

    Closing out programs would only help if they were running in the background, which the vast majority of WM programs don't (unless they're actively doing something). It's not like Windows where applications in the back are still running, doing screen draws, etc.

    Regardless, many of the posts are from people only running their GPS program (TomTom 7 seems to be the biggest problem child).

    FWIW this is also probably the culprit (or at least one of them) of GPS lag reported on the Treo Pro, since the TP and TP (heh) both have similar ROM's.

    Like I said, no idea if it's been fixed in Sprints TP. From your post you're obviously not running into it, so here's to hoping that it has.
  14.    #74  
    I don't run any GPS programs. Honestly I only use Sprint Navigation. I'm on a Simply Everything plan so since Sprint Nav is included I just use that. I find it to better than Live Search and Google. No need for me to spend money on an aftermarket program. So far on the TP it's been very fast at finding me which is most important.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    This may have been corrected with Sprint's TP, but there are several long threads about GPS lag on the TP (over on XDA).

    Someone even made a program which seems to help, by making sure there's some CPU free to run the GPS drivers. Apparently the intermediary drivers have a low CPU priority, so any running programs can eat up all available CPU and leave little/nothing for the drivers (which causes the lag). Seems to be a problem with more CPU intensive programs.

    No personal experience, just what I've seen on XDA.
    Thanks, I'm aware of those threads, but was curious to hear VibrantGT's take on the matter (given that he could compare it directly to the 800w).

    I was also curious if the last minute fixes that Sprint applied, which held up first shipping, made it any better.
  16. #76  
    on the charging thing. my 700p and wx both would over heat and stop charging in the car all the time.
    On using X to close programs, my origanal Touch with wm6.1 did not perform any better doing that. I still had to soft reset all the time to free memory.

    To the one whose 800w n key activated the space. The keyboard on the 800w is not as spaced out as the 700wx and the keys are flatter and not as raised as the 700wx. I hit the space all the time too with the v,b and n keys.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  17.    #77  
    I just got finished with a long conversation on the TP while on the charger (didn't need to be charged just wanted to try it). The phone did not overheat. I does get hot but my Treo does to when I talk for over 30 minutes on a charger. I find no difference between the two in this department.

    zbop, tell me how you want me to test the GPS vs. the 800. Mine main goal is positioning time. Maybe different to others. I am willing to ring this device out anyway you guys want me to.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That makes sense. The HTC ROM's aren't quite as power efficient as Palm's, and there's a lot more hardware being driven there.

    Major bummer you can't charge via USB though. That'd be a deal breaker to me since I often travel where charging by the wall wart is not feasible/possible.
    This statement that "you can't charge via USB" is a total canard! I am so tired of hearing from different sources that the Treo 800w will not charge via USB. It most certainly does. In fact, I have my 800w hooked up to my PC right now via USB and it just finished charging. Where do such utterly false statements come from??
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    zbop, tell me how you want me to test the GPS vs. the 800. Mine main goal is positioning time. Maybe different to others. I am willing to ring this device out anyway you guys want me to.
    Pretty simple, just use whatever navigation you have while driving and if your displayed GPS position and actual position get out-of-sync, then how bad is it.

    For example, if you're driving at say 45mph and pass through an intersection, does the GPS app pass through the intersection at the same time (or close to it)?

    If it lags 500 feet behind or if it tells you to turn 10-15 seconds after you've passed your intended turn, then clearly there is an issue. Of course, this is dependent on accurate map data, the gps app itself, gps signal, speed of the processor, what background apps are running, yadda yadda yadda.

    My 800w seems to keep up and perform well, just wanted to know if the Touch Pro does the same.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by dogden View Post
    This statement that "you can't charge via USB" is a total canard! I am so tired of hearing from different sources that the Treo 800w will not charge via USB. It most certainly does. In fact, I have my 800w hooked up to my PC right now via USB and it just finished charging. Where do such utterly false statements come from??
    They were actually talking about the Touch Pro, not the 800w, although I guess your sentiments still apply since the Touch Pro does also charge through USB.
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions