Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Does a Garmin stand alone unit provide full seamless integration with MS Outlook contacts? Garmin Mobile XT does.
    there is no question that"dedicated" GPS units fall short once you use a full feldged GPS program on your smartphone. You get a slew of advantages by chucking your dedicated and using the smartphone instead and no disadvantages as far as I can tell.

You get seriously faster fixes, infinite POI, navigation to contacts, the ability to gps and photo or location tag your contacts, etc.

The fact is dedicated GPS devices are trying to adapt mobile phone advantages. Garmin and TopmTom's next big "advance" will be implementing aGPS, something you can do on a good smartphone already.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You get a slew of advantages by chucking your dedicated and using the smartphone instead and no disadvantages as far as I can tell.
    how about advantages for dedicated being...
    • Much larger screen
    • No need to plug in dedicated system/worry about battery draining/overheating
    • No interruptions to your map when an email/sms/call comes in
    • Often easier to navigate/use while driving
    • SirfIII can be more accurate than GPSOne due to stronger antenna
    • Easier to handle phone calls with dedicated GPS system that has BT connectivity
    • For $50 more you can get a whole device rather than just maps

Or rather I don't know anyone who has either an in-dash system or portable dedicated GPS that chooses their lil' 2.4" screen device instead. But hey, options are nice. But I think these mapping companies will be cutting their losses in the pocketpc area in the future.

I still stand by that the future has smartphones being "personal GPS" devices for in-city navigation, social networking and commerce. Cars with either in-dash or portable dedicated gps devices will be better suited for "just driving". Ideally, you can program your phone and when in the car it transfers to the car's GPS to take over. Just watch.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/14/2009 at 07:55 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    there is no question that"dedicated" GPS units fall short once you use a full feldged GPS program on your smartphone. You get a slew of advantages by chucking your dedicated and using the smartphone instead and no disadvantages as far as I can tell.

You get seriously faster fixes, infinite POI, navigation to contacts, the ability to gps and photo or location tag your contacts, etc.

The fact is dedicated GPS devices are trying to adapt mobile phone advantages. Garmin and TopmTom's next big "advance" will be implementing aGPS, something you can do on a good smartphone already.
    Yea, I find that Garmin Mobile XT is a true full fledged GPS navigation program, that is well integrated with the smart phone. Sprint Navigation/Telenav (and I've tried both Sprint Navigation and straight up Telenav) is more like a program made for any phone to give directions. Sprint Navigation/Telenav really does not express the full benefits of a navigation program on a smart phone. And all of Garmin Mobile XT's benefits are not realized till used with a device that can do stand alone GPS and aGPS.

I used to use dedicated GPS Navigation units, probably never again. Having everything fully integrated on my smart phone is what I prefer. I've got plenty of miles under my belt using stand alone GPS units and don't plan to add another mile.

If I wanted a bigger screen,

No further Touch Pro heat issues for me. Once aware of the issue, one cold pack and my device remains cool. And I've only ever had the device get hot in the car when in my car holder, that covers much of the device and holds the heat in. So I only need the cold pack in the car, usually only used on long trips. My car holder can hold the device and cold pack too. I've taken road trips for hours now without heat problems. I know I had times with my 800w when it had charging issues in the car. I can't say those instances with the 800w were not heat related, although far less frequent with the 800w, they could have been heat related. But I didn't have anything measuring 800w internal device temp then as I do now.

Anyway, with the Touch Pro and Garmin Mobile XT, navigation meets what I've been looking for. I may still give IGuidance a test spin, but I'm not sure if I'll find any benefits over Garmin Mobile XT.

And when I get out the car, I often like to take the gadgets with me. The whole reason I got a convergence device. Easy to go anywhere with it all. My Touch Pro and even my Moto T505 fit on my belt. Touch Pro in a holder on my belt and using Moto T505's visor clip on my belt too.
    I just think it's INSANE all the stuff that people are doing with the Touch Pro.

This is a bit pricey, but I guess if someone has the need it's worth it.
    PROJECTOR: with TOUCH PRO / FUZE TV VIDEO OUT cable and includes 9-in-1 SUPER ADAPTER!

I've been saying I wanted a Pico projector on my next device. I guess I could have it on the Touch Pro if I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    how about advantages for dedicated being...
    Much larger screen
    Actually we have phones with larger screens than our PND!
    No need to plug in dedicated system/worry about battery draining/overheating.
    unplugged PND units don't last any longer than cell phones, so this could be seen as a negative in that you have to have two chargers if you use two devices. In fact aGPS units last longer than sirfIII in my experience as they draw less power.
    No interruptions to your map when an email/sms/call comes in
    If one looks at their handset when a call, email sms comes in anyway that could be more distracting than having it come up on part of the screen on the phone that is in navigation mode.
    Often easier to navigate/use while driving
    I don't find it any easier to use two devices while driving
    AS if this isn't fully offset by by the advantages of aGPS which can be more accurate than sirfIII
    Easier to handle phone calls with dedicated GPS system that has BT connectivity
    I find it easier to handle calls on a single device
    [*]For $50 more you can get a whole device rather than just maps
    you mean for $50 more, plus a huge increase in the chance of your vehicle windows being broken, a second device to juggle in your pocket for no reason, etc

Fact is Navigation and location based applications are a huge driver of the smartphone market.

AGPS makes for serious advantages over non network dedicated GPS -- to the point where dedicated device makers know they need to make deals with the mobile providers to add aGPS to their units.

The argument that everyone prefers their dedicated device of any kind as a predictor has been dis proven time and time again in convergence devices. people were saying that on forums like this about combining PDA and Phones!!

In some cases, such as cameras, there are half a dozen advantages to using the camera on your cell phone and and a score of compelling advantages to a dedicated camera. But in a camera most of the value, costs and bulk are items you would not have on a cell phone such as optics and mechanical parts. But between a PND and a smartphone I thin it is fair to say 95% of the components are duplicated. Several new smartphone shave screens about the same size and the trend is for screens as big as your pocket can bear. They have the same processors, they already have reception capability. Again, the irony is that it is the PND makers that are trying to cram in cell phone capabilities into the PNDs to enable infinite POI and aGPS.

The biggest threat is the growing capability of cellphones to track traffic, map locations and give directions. Using phones for navigation can be cheaper and more convenient than dedicated GPS devices. "A lot of investors are concerned about this 'substitution effect,'

Now I am not saying the smartphone is the death of the PND any more than the smartphone was the death of the PDA, just that it makes the PND much much less compelling and it is certainly hurting sales.
    Here are some interesting reads:

PDA / Phone GPS vs. Stand alone GPS (PND): A review of using GPS on a Treo 750 versus a dedicated stand alone GPS unit. I think the point made there, that a smart phone allows the use of various GPS related software trumps anything that may be a plus for a stand alone unit. I know just the other day, Garmin gave me a route to a Pizza Hut (recently moved, so neither Garmin [with its powerful Google Local Search] or Telenav have its correct address and I had to enter that manually), which was almost a half mile off in the wrong direction. Although I prefer the Garmin Mobile XT software, that was a case where it literally gave me a wrong turn. I opened Telenav and it got me in the right direction. (Interesting how entering the same address resulted in different directions with both in that particular case.) So while I prefer Garmin, the Telenav backup was handy to flip to. But the article also notes how stand alone units don't allow for the various available off road software someone might use with a smart phone.

Death of the PND
    : This review notes how in car units are preferable to dedicated stand alone GPS units. I think it has its points, but even with pre-installed or even post-installed in-car units you're stuck with the software made for the car GPS unit. Just like a PND.

To me, the smart phone offers the greatest flexibility and various options in terms of software. I still need to give IGuidance a test spin, but such testing of various packages is not an option with PND and in-car units.

Currently it seems more people may use PND, but in time maybe more people will use pre-installed car units. But I think many a geek will want to continue with the options afforded via a smart phone, at least that's where I see myself.
    For me the dedicated stand alone GPSr is necessary for something like off the road where the signal may be lost and that is where the receiver I have shines - the DeLorme PN-40. Otherwise in Paradise, the signal is almost always there and my Touch Pro with Google Maps or Dead Search does well. As a note, I recently came across an unnamed street in GM that was listed in DS and when I was looking a few months ago at a car based GPSr, I was told by a salesman at Best Buy that none of them listed the store and it has been there 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    For me the dedicated stand alone GPSr is necessary for something like off the road where the signal may be lost and that is where the receiver I have shines - the DeLorme PN-40.
    Now that looks like the answer when you need something that you're not afraid to beat around a little .

As a note, I recently came across an unnamed street in GM that was listed in DS and when I was looking a few months ago at a car based GPSr, I was told by a salesman at Best Buy that none of them listed the store and it has been there 3 years.
    Yea, I'm starting to find, that although they all claim to update their maps, that it does not mean your specific area was part of the update . That Pizza Hut that I mentioned "recently moved" relocated about a year ago. But look them up on Garmin or Sprint Navigation/Telenav and you'll get their old address.
    Very much so. Also here in Paradise, there are a "few" new subdivisions going in on the Leeward coast that will probably be 2-3 years before they hit the Internet maps. Oh well, still beats carrying a map book around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Oh well, still beats carrying a map book around.
    Yup. Since GPS devices became affordable, I don't spend so much time at the AAA office getting maps .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yea, I'm starting to find, that although they all claim to update their maps, that it does not mean your specific area was part of the update . That Pizza Hut that I mentioned "recently moved" relocated about a year ago. But look them up on Garmin or Sprint Navigation/Telenav and you'll get their old address.
    When I find a place that is recently moved, I don't have an issue to call the store, and then put the correct address in my garmin... with name and all.. no biggie.

At the end, it is what people prefer... I'd rather use my stand alone... and I also can use my phone as a backup... you seem to suggest that because we use a standalone, we are adverse to using the phone (or can't?)... this is not the case... I'd use my phone if I thought google maps or live could provide better results...

So far the garmin has been able to show all places so far.

Actually, while finding a base the other night, I was able to make calls... without issue... now that was cool.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Yep. I seriously considered a Garmin, looked at the Tom-Tom, went back to Garmin, got the handheld Colorado 400T, hated the scroll wheel, got the PN-40 and use it when I do not get a data connection and for off the road use. Unfortunately here in Paradise, the need for a standalone car unit is not that strong - you cannot go very far without ending up in the Pacific and there are just so many McDonalds to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    No, but you don't need it... I was able to move all my contacts over by going through google maps... it was rather simple... actually, I did not need all of them since I know where the majority of my contacts in outlook live. I don't know why.

As fast as the standalone garmin is, adding a new contact is very easy... very fast compared to a cheap gps. But again, easy and fast to add to the device via google maps. You could also use Microsoft Live...

Guess it depends on what you like... that is why all kinds of options are available...
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I'd use my phone if I thought google maps or live could provide better results...
    So does your stand alone unit NOT allow for a data connection to Google to add new locations? You're going from your smartphone to get addresses and manually entering them into a stand alone dedicated GPS if the stand alone dedicated GPS does not already have that address? Hey, if that works for you... I enjoy how Garmin Mobile XT has Google Local search built right in, given it can leverage my Sprint HTC Touch Pro's data connection when in data range. Whatever works for you, cool, but for me doing it all from the smart phone works best.

Actually, while finding a base the other night, I was able to make calls... without issue... now that was cool.
    Yea, I make calls with Garmin Mobile XT running without issue and even receive calls too . In fact, Garmin Mobile XT makes calls for me . Like the moved Pizza Hut, to get that new address, I pressed the call button in Garmin Mobile XT, it called the Pizza Hut for me and I got their new address. That's the kind of integration I prefer. And with Garmin Mobile XT, when I find no map has the correct address for a location, I enter that address into Garmin 1 time, click a button to add it to my Outlook contacts and I've got it saved with ease. So I've got that Pizza Hut's new address without having to switch between devices. As I mentioned, this is what works well for me . Glad you're happy, I am too.
    And MightyROM 5 with WM 6.5 build 21501, IE 8 and so on for the CDMA Touch Pro has been released. There are a lot of WM 6.5 ROMs for the Touch Pro now and the one many of us have waited for is finally out.
  15.    #716  
    I am flashing Mighty's ROM tonight.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    MightyROM 5 is pretty nice. I just read that MightyMike lost his job.

Now is a good time for anyone who has enjoyed MightyMike's work to help him out a little via a donation.
    If you have a Touch Pro, run, do not walk and get yourself a Touch Pro TV Out cable. Be sure to get one that has an additional power adapter jack opening, so you can keep the device well powered. Or try this hack that provides TV out for even cheaper than the price of a Touch Pro TV out cable.

My TV Out cable just came in today and I was playing with it. Simply awesome. I was viewing YouTube videos on the wide screen projection TV and they looked great. Audio was good too. I mean I never thought they would look so good on a large screen TV. Non-video stuff looks very good too.

Results with some other videos (as in other than YouTube) may vary. I'm sure there's an art to getting various types of videos to come out right outside of the Touch Pro's screen. But the nice thing is, that any video plays on both the Touch Pro screen and the monitor you have video out going to at the same time. So you can see on the Touch Pro if things are perfect on its screen while imperfect on the monitor you have video going out to.

It seems lower resolution videos work best with video out. The higher resolution stuff, while playing OK on the Touch Pro screen, it gives blue flicker on the TV out monitor. I mean on the video out monitor you see the video playing, but a light blue flicker is going on across the screen. I guess I'll have to learn how to manage that. It has been said that changing some settings resolves the issue, but I have not found that solution yet. I suspect the folks using PAL (overseas) instead of NTSC probably have ways to do away with the blue flickering. But I think it's possible we NTSC folks might be stuck with it in some cases. If there's a solution, I suspect VRGT can figure it out faster than me . Using Core Player, lower resolution stuff played in video out without so much blue flickering.

The Touch Pro TV out cable is great if you're with friends and want to show them something you saw on YouTube on a very big screen. (I mean with YouTube videos the results are incredible!) But it can't replace a laptop if you want to play a VCD file out to a TV screen. If I can get beyond the blue flicker, maybe, but not yet.

On a related non-TV out note, I don't plan to use my laptop for video viewing on airplanes anymore though. The Touch Pro VGA screen is good enough for cramped viewing pleasure. (I was not enjoying it when trying smaller screens than true VGA when on airplanes.)
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I wish I had taken the chance to try out this feature when I had my TP. I really wish the STP had this option. My 3 year old son enjoys when I play Disney on my STP on Sprint TV and using the video out connection to our overhead monitor in our Tahoe would be awesome on long road trips.
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    I didn't realize how great the video-out feature is when I bought my Touch Pro, or how much I'd rely on it. I have an old TV in the basement with no cable hook-up; I can now watch videos on the TV while I work out, or play it on my large screen TV while on the treadmill.

As for the blue flicker, Coreplayer can play videos without the flicker, but you have to play it using DirectDraw, and the resolution suffers. I just convert my videos to mp4's, and play using Windows Media Player - works great!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G