Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637 LastLast
    OK you Touch Pro users, how do you type so fast concidering the KB light shut's off in less than 4 seconds (can you see in the dark?)& do enjoy all those extra moves to get to IE & do you keep a rag in one hand too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think this is false/error at BB, so take it with a grain of salt. All the ads and promo material call it Treo Pro and under my Sprint account when activated, says Palm Treo Pro.

Only when sprint starts to call it that we can definitively that they changed the name, but they won't as it says Treo on the actual phone, box and user manual!
    Thanks,
    I was worried it came from Palm.
    I don't remember now where I had originally saw that posted, but I thought about the same thing someone else said: "that's really going to add to the Pre Pro confusion.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #663  
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    OK you Touch Pro users, how do you type so fast concidering the KB light shut's off in less than 4 seconds (can you see in the dark?)& do enjoy all those extra moves to get to IE & do you keep a rag in one hand too?
    Once the keyboard is touched it stays on just like every phone ever invented. To get to IE, I press Start then IE (or you can change buttons on the side if two touches it too much for you).
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I had the 800W and have the Touch pro and I cant even say how much better the Pro is. Battery life is the biggest. I run it all day and have 80% left and I dont charge my pro for days . the 800W i had to charge twice a day. The camera is nicer. I thought I would miss the keyboard but the full keyboard on the Pro is pretty awsome. My only complaint with the Pro is the Horrible D pad. Its the worst
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Once the keyboard is touched it stays on just like every phone ever invented. To get to IE, I press Start then IE (or you can change buttons on the side if two touches it too much for you).
    Yea, if somebody's keyboard is turning off while they are typing, they might want to get a replacement.

To start a web browser from the slider, you can press the green [FN] key and then the key with the green globe on it (that key says "SYM" in white letters, it's just 3 keys to the right of the [FN] key). That starts Opera Mobile, since that's the Touch Pro's default web browser.

The slider has an E-mail key that can be pressed to open pocket outlook. There's an [FN] key to open the Communications Manager. There's also [FN] keys for Page Up and Page Down. And arrow keys that can be used instead of the D-pad or touching the screen.

I can open programs with my Touch Pro WAY FASTER than when I had an 800w. With the 800w, even to open stuff on the start menu as VRGT has mentioned before, you press the Windows key, then the Dpad till you get to IE. With my Touch Pro, I've got IE on my Programs tab in TF3D. So I press the "Programs" soft key and then the IE icon.

No rag needed. My BodyGuardz protector keeps the device from getting overly marked with fingerprints and a simple wipe on the pants leg removes any that come up. (Really, the talk about prints is less of a concern on my Touch Pro than with the 800w. It's easier to wipe a flush screen than a recessed screen.)

Here's an interesting video I posted in another thread

I've found the slider to be faster, but I've never actually tested speeds, it's just my personal feeling. Maybe smaller close buttons go faster, or maybe the tester typing the same thing repeatedly simply got progressively faster regardless the keyboard he used? He found the IPhone touch screen to be faster than the slider. While Or maybe that was just a reflection the skills of the people who were typing? I guess the user just has to decide for themselves . The Touch Pro has the slider and on screen keyboard. Great thing about WM on screen keyboards, is that if you don't like one, there are lots of others that can be tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I tried the Pro last year but sent it back to Palm for a refund. Too many fingerprints, and I didn't like the keyboard at all!
    FYI from you other posts it is clear you had a Palm Pro. this is about vs theHTC Touch Pro

By the way you will hate the Pre then. it has the same fingerprint attractive finish and same keyboard as the Treo Pro. There are several people who condemned the finish and keyboard of the Treo Pro who are gushing about the Pre, despite the fact that the Pre has the same keyboard and finish as the Treo Pro.
    Isn't the Pre kb a Smile shape?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Isn't the Pre kb a Smile shape?
    Correct.

The two kb's are quite different (in terms of design and feel), so to call them "the same" is an overstatement. Furthermore, the quality of each kb needs to be evaluated on its own merit--I really liked the Centro's kb but didn't care for it on the Pro, which even I didn't expect. Just eyeballing won't tell you anything.

Also, the pre has a matte black/rubberized back-plate for it if you buy the Touch Stone conductive charger--it has magnets in it for attaching and is matte/rubberized since it'll be making contact with a hard service (no scratches). I've been calling for that combo for a while now: matte/rubberized back; glossy front. Can't wait.

(images not sized controlled)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/01/2009 at 11:52 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I decided to try out a Touch Pro several weeks ago. I could only go a couple weeks before my previous disdain for the 6700 and 6800 kicked in and had to go back to the 800w. I'm curious, do any of you routinely switch between different phones using Sprint's online ESN swap? I have a buddy that claims a cousin switched so frequently they disabled it on his account, hehe... The most frequent I've gone between online ESN swaps was around a week.
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
  10.    #670  
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    I decided to try out a Touch Pro several weeks ago. I could only go a couple weeks before my previous disdain for the 6700 and 6800 kicked in and had to go back to the 800w. I'm curious, do any of you routinely switch between different phones using Sprint's online ESN swap? I have a buddy that claims a cousin switched so frequently they disabled it on his account, hehe... The most frequent I've gone between online ESN swaps was around a week.
    Last week I switched 4 times (twice for me and twice for my wife). I use the online ESN option all the time. Don't know why the account would be disabled from a free service.

I sometimes want a front keyboard but the 800 doesn't do it for me so I'll switch to my Centro. Then the feature list kicks in and I go back to my Touch Pro. I actually used my 700wx the other day. Man, the keyboard on that thing is still the best. XDA released 6.1 for it. It's just too bulky.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Last week I switched 4 times (twice for me and twice for my wife). I use the online ESN option all the time. Don't know why the account would be disabled from a free service.

I sometimes want a front keyboard but the 800 doesn't do it for me so I'll switch to my Centro. Then the feature list kicks in and I go back to my Touch Pro. I actually used my 700wx the other day. Man, the keyboard on that thing is still the best. XDA released 6.1 for it. It's just too bulky.
    yes! that's exactly it! (sometimes want a front keyboard). I get jealous of the aforementioned friend's GSM/Sim-card-phone-switching so I like to switch phones once in awhile I just flashed my Touch Pro to the latest MightyMike firmware, and man does that screen look good..... maybe I'll have to switch back again..............
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I can open programs with my Touch Pro WAY FASTER than when I had an 800w. With the 800w, even to open stuff on the start menu as VRGT has mentioned before, you press the Windows key, then the Dpad till you get to IE. With my Touch Pro, I've got IE on my Programs tab in TF3D. So I press the "Programs" soft key and then the IE icon.
    Maybe you never noticed it on your 800w (or 700wx if you had one), but programs in your start menu will have one letter underlined which you can use to launch the program.

For example, when I press my Windows button, Internet Explorer shows as Internet Explorer, so I just press I on my keyboard and it launches Internet Explorer. Windows Media Player shows as Windows Media Player, so I press E to launch Windows Media Player. This also works in the quick dial list for your recently called contacts.

Pretty sure that if you use this method it works out much faster than having to go to TF3D (like when you're in another program) and then launch the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Maybe you never noticed it on your 800w (or 700wx if you had one), but programs in your start menu will have one letter underlined which you can use to launch the program.
    I never found it easy to press the right little button .

Pretty sure that if you use this method it works out much faster than having to go to TF3D (like when you're in another program) and then launch the program.
    If I'm in another program, just pressing the start menu and then pressing on the screen the program from the list is faster than if I had an 800w and tried pressing the correct letter. Keep in mind, I'm often opening program while driving. I did not find it to be nearly as easy or SAFE when I had an 800w. The additional hard keys seemed to be a benefit of sorts, but when you can start things with two taps of the screen, that can't be beat. I have IE in Touch Flo's program tab, because I've got Opera in my Start menu .
  14.    #674  
    I press start with my thumb then press Opera Mini with my thumb. The Menu's are made finger friendly on purpose. I rarely use hard keys when I need to get somewhere quickly. I find it to take longer to navigate on the 800 (d-pad) vs Touch Pro (touch). That symbol (press I for IE) stuff is a waste to me. Two touches and I'm where I need to be without thinking of letters or symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post

For example, when I press my Windows button, Internet Explorer shows as Internet Explorer, so I just press I on my keyboard and it launches Internet Explorer. Windows Media Player shows as Windows Media Player, so I press E to launch Windows Media Player. This also works in the quick dial list for your recently called contacts.

I prefer this method too or just using the Opt + Button option for my most used apps (Opt + Send launches IE--so 2 presses) or using the quick launch in the start Menu (7 slots) gives you 11-12 spaces to quick launch apps with 2 clicks.

Of course you could just install something like Mobile Shell and get the same "experience "as Touch Flo. All personal preference.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So over time, I was finding my Sprint HTC Touch Pro was not charging when using Sprint Navigation for a good while. I had occurrences where I had charging issues with the 800w when using Sprint Navigation, but it didn't occur often. The issues with the Touch Pro and charging with Sprint Navigation had become consistent.

So I felt perhaps there might be a conflict somewhere in Sprint Navigation. I was able to find an upgrade to a newer version of Telenav, which while offering some benefits did not resolve the issue.

Someone suggested it was an issue with heat. But I felt that can't be, my device never feels "hot". Like most new devices, it can get warm, but never felt "hot". And I can use it for plenty when at home and it always keeps charging just fine. So I initially didn't think much of the claims of heat.

Well, after some extended testing, I found the Touch Pro has heat issues, but it depends on how you have the device setting. If it's in a holder that covers a good portion of the device, the heat can't escape well and it gets hot. If the device is standing in a position where it can breathe there's usually no problem for me. Which is why I've never felt there were heat issues. I guess depending on conditions there are no heat issues, but certain things cause issues with heat when using the Touch Pro, that are not as much an issue with the 800w and some other devices. Although, the cases where I had charging issues with the 800w could have been heat related for all I know, it was far less frequent.

I've been documenting my experiences and tests with heat issues here.

This has been an issue with some Treo Pros, but might have only been a battery issue.
    thank for that irding battery heat. I had a Touch Pro but knew within 9 minutes it wasn't for me. Now I realize that choice is up to the individual but Palm has been the best for me. Next week I think the Treo Pro is on it's way to me but right now I'm using the 800 & enjoying what I can do with it. Only 2 items are better for the Pro, bigger battery & more memory. I'm not looking forward to the Pro being a finger print magnet & it's smaller KB & a few other things too. So I'll let you know what happens next week. Thanks
    OK, so with all the raving reviews some custom ROMs get, plus my wanting the Rhodium interface once a solid Touch Pro ROM is available. I decided to try one of the Touch Pro customized ROMs, just to get in practice of flashing the ROM. The Sprint stock ROM was doing well for me, but ever since knowing the Rhodium interface is coming to the Touch Pro I've had more of an itch to try a customize ROM. I went for MightyROM 4.15. Wow. The added features are just great. It's like going from a nice Cadillac that already had good features from the dealer when driven off the showroom floor, to a sending that nice Cadillac to customization shop that "tricks" it out and having more to enjoy!

(No real comparison on this once, since there have never been any available 800w customized ROMs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    thank for that irding battery heat. I had a Touch Pro but knew within 9 minutes it wasn't for me. Now I realize that choice is up to the individual but Palm has been the best for me. Next week I think the Treo Pro is on it's way to me but right now I'm using the 800 & enjoying what I can do with it. Only 2 items are better for the Pro, bigger battery & more memory. I'm not looking forward to the Pro being a finger print magnet & it's smaller KB & a few other things too. So I'll let you know what happens next week. Thanks
    Don't forget all the bug fixes that are also included in the Treo Pro . You can get a cover to keep it from getting so many fingerprints. I use BodyGuardz on my Touch Pro. Other than that, if you can live with the Treo Pro's keyboard I think you'll likely enjoy it. Hope all goes well. Maybe you can make a Treo Pro versus 800w thread after you play with the Treo Pro a while.
  20.    #680  
    I may try a custom ROM on my Touch Pro. Right now the stock Sprint ROM has just been solid. Phone never freezes, phone portion is great and data speed is amazing.

D, just keep me posted on the progress and if its solid I will try it.