Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 LastLast
    I was playing with something today I noticed on my Touch Pro when making a call, that I don't think was available on my old Treo 800w. When making a call on the Sprint HTC Touch Pro, there is a "note" option, where notes can be entered related to the call. Those notes are then saved in the call log with other call details, which can be reviewed later.
    That was doable with my 700wx, and is on the 800w.

I believe that to be a standard WM function.
    Edited: not applicable
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/24/2009 at 10:09 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    That statement from HTC says they don't do Telenav support. It does not say that HTC does not support GPS. Can you please provide the link to that thread?
  5.    #625  
    I have never used external GPS. I use Sprint Navigation. I have no lag when using it. Also I am not saying HTC is better than Palm or has perfect devices either. My comments were strictly about HTC support.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That statement from HTC says they don't do Telenav support. It does not say that HTC does not support GPS. Can you please provide the link to that thread?
    ah, true...although the context was about internal GPS in what was written to them, my bad.

the thread is a VIP, so no I can't

(though it gets more funny as an HTC tech support says you void your warranty if you do a regedit, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    (though it gets more funny as an HTC tech support says you void your warranty if you do a regedit, lol)
    I wonder if the HTC tech support person said something similar to what this Palm tech support person said regarding Palm devices?
    At least these companies are consistent! man that's weird.

wow, seriously though, if tweaking the reg voids the warranty...a ROM flash must result in ""Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" with them.

9.    #629  
    Mal, Keep in mind Darnell and I have had both the 800 and Touch Pro for awhile. You've only had the 800. I understand pasting stuff from various forums may try and prove points but there is no need. You know me, I'm honest and will not defend a device if there are issues with it. I will call out any issues I see fit. For me GPS doesn't lag but if it starts I will say something. In many areas the 800 is superior over the TP and vice versa. For example I wish the TP had the external speaker sound quality of the 800. The TP just plain sucks (sounds like the music is playing in a tin can). I can go on but then again just read my review on page 1 of this thread.

I think we got on the GPS wagon again due to the ROM updating upcoming from HTC. I believe this fix may be for earlier models. I cannot find anything I need fixed on this device other than the items I mentioned on page 1. However just about all cannot be fixed in the ROM. Even though there are a ton of custom ROM's released I cannot bring myself to one because the device works pretty well out of the box.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    At least these companies are consistent! man that's weird.

wow, seriously though, if tweaking the reg voids the warranty...a ROM flash must result in ""Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" with them.
    And of course installing software results in registry modifications .

All these companies are just hoping to find an excuse to pass blame for customer complaints.
    ah, true...although the context was about internal GPS in what was written to them, my bad.
    I do think it is rational of HTC to take the formal stand. I have navigatiojn devices that run wince underneath that I have hacked to tun other nav programs better than the original, either of a different software maker or a next gen software of the same maker. But I think HTC is not going to want to be in the position of guaranteeing the performance per se, as well as with wm programs beyond certain parameters.

I think in future we are going to need to rely on user testing.

I don't wont to fully rehash theTouch pro "lag" threads from other forums but since I tested 800w, Treo Pro (GSM) and Touch pro together, as well as with other dedicated nav PND's I will say that testing needs to be accurately comparative and controlled with careful attention to settings, software etc. I saw zero difference with all kinds of modes, as long as the same software was used

I don't doubt some users experienced lag, but I think the huge majority of what I read on that thread either did not apply to the Sprint HTC touch Pro or was simply mistaken and non constant comparisons.
    Treotraveler, there are some other issues I have with TouchPal, that I forget to mention in my previous comment about it. It loads slow. Did you notice how slowly it comes up when you select the soft keyboard and TouchPal is the default? Also, the on screen items sometimes would not resize for TouchPal. I mean, some screens have a text box in the middle of the screen. When using the stock full soft qwerty, those text boxes would shift up on the screen to accommodate for the full soft qwerty and with the large amount of available screen space on the Touch Pro it was fine. But when using TouchPal, sometimes those same dialog boxes would not shift up and so it was hard to use them with TouchPal.
    Got my new replacement Touch Pro today. It came in way faster than I expected.

The new one has a Manufacturers Date of 1/12/2009 and is working well. Even WiFi has tested out good. In a test using Pocket Internet Explorer and DSL Reports Mobile Speed Test with my home WiFi connection, the Touch Pro clocked 2036 kbit/sec. (Fastest I ever saw with any of my 800ws with WiFi was in the 1200 kbit/sec range.)

I've ordered BodyGuardz for this one. Seems those who have used both InvisibleShield and BodyGuardz always vouch for BodyGuardz, including this TC review.

I've also ordered an HTC OEM car charger. It's 2AMPS. I think it totally depends on the user, but this past week for the first time I was able to do enough to outrun my Moto MiniUSB car charger, which really is the car charger for my Moto T505. Everyone with 2AMP car chargers have said they've never outrun the car charger even with heavy usage of multiple applications at once. I never had any heat problems with my first Touch Pro and I'm hoping I don't with my second. My first Touch Pro would feel warm when used a lot and on a charge, but never "hot", it was no worse than with my 800ws.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I've been using the Touch Pro for almost two months and I like the features like FAST processor speed and sharp vga display. Still, the Touch Pro isn't as reliable, snappy, and sturdy as the 800w (had it for over a month). If the Treo Pro was available when I got the 800w, then I'd still be using it. Then there's the upcoming Palm Pre... Pre actually outscored the Iphone and Google Android in a recent cNet comparison. Palm Pre = The Next Big Thing! I've always said that Palm has some of the brightest, most innovative people in the industry.
    I find the Touch Pro to be more reliable than my 800W and no slow downs at all. The Pre is interesting though.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Hm, I would describe the Touch Pro (stock rom) as the Honda S2000 of mobile phones. I starts off slow, then revs up FAST and zooms to high speeds. The 800w's OS is so well tuned to the hardware that everything seems quick, snappy, instant, and fairly speedy. Both phones can see instant improvement with CodyPPC's speed hack cab files. I've played with the Touch Pro's on display at the Sprint store and noticed how BAD they were in terms of slow, sluggishness. I just went back and read Darnell's excellent report on his experience with both phones and here's some quality advice: take the time to upgrade your Touch Pro rom and you'll see a world of difference!

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    ...one bug in the Touch Pro that was highly annoying... Word is, that the bug is in the Sprint ROM and people who get customized non-Sprint ROMs don't have the issue. [I](I'm not considering a custom ROM...

But I really was not wanting out of the 800w, till I kept having various stability issue and other problems I've never bothered mentioning because I've got no reason to pile on more detailing those issues here, my issues with Palm are settled...
    1. If you're not using a custom Touch Pro rom, then you're really missing out. I use the eRice version, it's based on the stock rom and supposedly "safer" in every way.

2. I agree, I was a lot more productive when I was using the 800w. Like I said, if the Treo Pro was available, I'd still be using it and keep it long term like I did with the 700w / 700wx (total of three years of highly productive use). Also, the lack of hard buttons on the Touch Pro hampers overall productivity. =/

Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I had the Touch Pro for a month and went back to the 800W. I just could never type well on the on screen keyboard and I just seem more productive with the 800W. Call me a Luddite, but I actually liked my 700p best of all. But I need the wi-fi so I had to give it up. I am fairly happy with the 800W.
    The 800w is a solid, worry-free phone. It's definitely a good choice if you want to avoid headaches. I personally couldn't stand some minor charging issues, but other than that it was near perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    Still, the Touch Pro isn't as reliable, snappy, and sturdy as the 800w (had it for over a month).
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I find the Touch Pro to be more reliable than my 800W and no slow downs at all. The Pre is interesting though.
    I guess it depends on usage, but I could wear the 800w down with my normal usage, to the point it would lock up or flat out die when doing the same things I'm doing now with my Touch Pro. Actually I'm able to do more at once with my Touch Pro given it can handle the load.

The only slow downs I've noticed on the Touch Pro are in Touch Flo 3D and I mentioned that plus how it can be tweaked to perform better in a prior comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post

2. I agree, I was a lot more productive when I was using the 800w. Like I said, if the Treo Pro was available, I'd still be using it and keep it long term like I did with the 700w / 700wx (total of three years of highly productive use). Also, the lack of hard buttons on the Touch Pro hampers overall productivity. =/

The 800w is a solid, worry-free phone. It's definitely a good choice if you want to avoid headaches. I personally couldn't stand some minor charging issues, but other than that it was near perfect.
    Can't say I was more productive with the 800w, but I already mentioned why above. I'm glad I left the Treo line, I'm not interested in the Treo Pro now. No need using 320 X 320 when the Touch Pro has a real VGA screen. And so many other things I won't bother listing. I'm doing fine with the full soft qwerty, but I understand the change is hard for many who left the Treo.

I've mentioned in another comment somewhere and I'm rather sure of it now. Once the Mogul got its first ROM update, if I knew about it back then, I should have moved from my Treo 650 to the Mogul and then from the Mogul to the Touch Pro.

But these are all personal opinions based on personal usage and personal needs and wants. That's the real joy of a market where there are many options available for us all to decide what suits each of us best.
    Stand alone GPS on the Touch Pro confirmed (again)

Although I do trust VRGT, I don't trust him as much as I trust myself .

So I just had to see if my Sprint HTC Touch Pro has true stand alone GPS. If this particular test did not work, I guess I could not claim anyone ever sold me the device claiming it had stand alone GPS, but I wanted to have working stand alone GPS. And really, given I'm more used to using stand alone GPS systems, learning the Treo 800w only had aGPS was pretty disappointing to me personally. To me, "GPS" only was stand alone till learning what the 800w had and the differences between aGPS and stand alone GPS. Given all I had ever known before was stand alone GPS.

And many thanks to everyone here for all the discussions regarding GPS, it was very much a learning experience that everyone here contributed to one way or another. (Not that we all agree on every matter in the GPS topic area, but still I think we who were in the protracted 800w GPS debates all might have learned a little something along the way.)

I did NOT want to test the GPS with WiFi, I wanted to test if the GPS would work with everything else OFF. A true simulation of being in the middle of NO WHERE and hoping true stand alone GPS can help. I downloaded and installed NoniGPSPlot v2.74, an application you can read about on that web page. After installing it, I put my Touch Pro into "Airplane Mode" (Phone off, WiFi off, Data connection obviously off, BT off). Then I soft reset the device. It came back up with everything still in Airplane mode. Then I took a walk outside into a very clear and open field. It's a cloudy day here in Chattanooga, TN, but I figured the open field I was standing in would be good enough. I've used stand alone GPS units with no problem on days like this. I then started up NoniGPSPlot, set it to use Com Port 4 which is the Com Port the Touch Pro already had set for GPS. The GPS radio initially was off, so nothing showed up, then I clicked the "Activate GPS" button on NoniGPSPlot and pretty much immediately, I mean it was so fast I don't know how long it took, I certainly was not standing around waiting, sat locks were popping up, it took maybe 10-15 seconds before they all showed up. And somewhere in that time my position was locked. (I suspect QuickGPS might have helped, given I keep it updated.)

I have attached a screen shot from NoniGPSPlot, which shows it presenting my location coordinates and the location of GPS sats around me. I've blackened out part of the coordinate information just for a little personal privacy . Notice in the upper right corner the icons that show all phone and data connections are off.

So I was able to confirm myself stand alone GPS works. And now I've got a new app to help me find my car in large open parking lots .

Ambient Light Sensor

When turning the device on outside, although cloudy it was still rather bright. With many devices, turning them on in the bright outdoors does not make for good viewing. The Touch Pro has an ambient light sensor, which automatically adjusts the back light for optimal viewing. So at first I turned the device on and the screen was hardly visible, but within seconds it had adjusted to be very visible. That's something all hand held devices of all types should have. Sadly it's not on the 800w.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    My new 800w died after 5 months.

I dont like my replacement 800w also.

My Mogul didnt die after 1 year but one of the key I have to press hard for it to work.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    My new 800w died after 5 months.

I dont like my replacement 800w also.

My Mogul didnt die after 1 year but one of the key I have to press hard for it to work.
    HTC builds quality products for Sprint.