Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I had the Touch Pro for a month and went back to the 800W. I just could never type well on the on screen keyboard and I just seem more productive with the 800W. Call me a Luddite, but I actually liked my 700p best of all. But I need the wi-fi so I had to give it up. I am fairly happy with the 800W.
    Did you try TouchPal on the Touch Pro? It's a much better on-screen keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I'll second that.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm still trying out TouchPal, so I'm not going to make any final personal judgments on it yet. But I will say, at least they were bright enough to have the keys you press pop up WELL ABOVE of where you press the key, so you're sure of what you pressed. The Touch Pro stock keyboards "inflate" the key you pressed, which is helpful and I can use the stock full qwerty just fine, but with TouchPal it is many times easier to ensure you've pressed the correct key.

And something about how TouchPal has the keys spaced seems to make it even easier to type. I feel like my typing speed is increasing when using TouchPal.

Those are just some thoughts, I'm not yet so over the top with TouchPal to pay for the full license yet, but as I said, I'm still evaluating it. Only had it about a day now. I'll probably make a more definitive comment about TouchPal after I've fully learned all there is to know about it. But I think it's worth anyone who has a Touch Pro or other interests in soft keyboards giving a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No, I can't go back to the Touch Pro now without paying full price so I guess it's a moot point.

I guess I'm a sucker for the hard buttons. I like the simple switch on top of the Treo for turning the ringer on and off. I like the hard buttons for email and calendar on the Treo without having to power on the device first. I didn't like the location of the power button on the Touch Pro. I hated the lack of an OK button on the Touch Pro. The back button never did what I wanted and trying to press the little tiny ok button in the upper right corner of the screen was a real annoyance for me.

Because I like the hard buttons so much, I'm hesitant to consider the Pre when it comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    No, I can't go back to the Touch Pro now without paying full price so I guess it's a moot point.

I guess I'm a sucker for the hard buttons. I like the simple switch on top of the Treo for turning the ringer on and off. I like the hard buttons for email and calendar on the Treo without having to power on the device first. I didn't like the location of the power button on the Touch Pro. I hated the lack of an OK button on the Touch Pro. The back button never did what I wanted and trying to press the little tiny ok button in the upper right corner of the screen was a real annoyance for me.

Because I like the hard buttons so much, I'm hesitant to consider the Pre when it comes out.
    I hear you. I'm getting the Treo Pro.

As for the OK button, it's easy to map the back button using aebuttonplus to be an OK key. I did it and also mapped the Home button to work as the Windows button. It was simple.
  6.    #606  
    I was also going to suggest AEButton. Hard buttons the way you like isn't all that hard to do anymore.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    TouchPal vs Touch Pro full soft qwerty

I knew I might be speaking too soon when I made this earlier comment about TouchPal. And I was. Between TouchPal and the stock Touch Pro full soft qwerty I am now certain I prefer the stock full soft qwerty and TouchPal is going to be removed from my Touch Pro.

Regarding typing speed, it seemed I was going a little faster with TouchPal, but I'm finding my speed with the stock full soft qwerty is also increasing. Now I'm able to type faster with the stock full soft qwerty.

My #1 issue with TouchPal, is that you've got to do a swipe downward on the "backspace" key just to perform a carriage return/new line. It's just not working for me. I mean it's a total impediment to my being able to type effectively with TouchPal.

I can see why many prefer TouchPal, it has so many features and options, but for me the stock full soft qwerty is just working more effectively. I guess it depends on the motions that work best for an individual and their preferred style of typing.

A means to get word suggestions working with the stock full soft qwerty on the Touch Pro equal to the word suggestion feature on the Treo 800w has been published.

Backlights

I'm finding that the backlight settings on the Touch Pro work 100% all of the time. With the Treo 800w, it seemed the backlight would act rather odd at times. On my old 800w, I had to hack the registry just to get a backlight setting to work, but the backlight settings were hard to manage. It was one of those issues that was chalked up as a WM issue. Well, on the Sprint HTC Touch Pro, all the backlight settings built into the device work flawlessly. And the Touch Pro has a light sensor, which automatically adjusts the backlight when the screen is on, this has been working well for me.
    Ditto to what you said about TouchPal darnell. I didn't care for it after about a week. So I dumped it about a month ago.

I settled into using the full qwerty one handed for almost everything. and for long Word files, I pop out the slider.

It works for me......

I refuse to have a large touch screen unless it's capacitive. The 800W works great w/ a stylus just cause of the way its designed and implemented. Large sliders like the Touch-PRO & its cousin the Mogul are great at screen realistate but antiquated on implimentation. 800W is quite honestly a tank, and has the battlescars to prove it. Plus Palm does't try to gussy up WinMob like HTC does, touch flo is fun for approximately 5 minutes then I'd dump it for the standard today screen I was used to.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Ditto to what you said about TouchPal darnell. I didn't care for it after about a week. So I dumped it about a month ago.

I settled into using the full qwerty one handed for almost everything. and for long Word files, I pop out the slider.

It works for me......

Hope you got the Autocorrection/Autocompletion hack. It not only provides the WM styled autocorrection and autocompletion feature (although with autocomplete it does it on every other letter entered as the first detailed post in that thread mentions), but it also totally resolves the bug I mentioned earlier.

I use the full soft qwerty all the time now, even for longer messages. But the hack can provide autocorrect/autocomplete for the slider too, see the initial comment for details.
    In my testing I've found my Touch Pro's WiFi is defective. This was confirmed by the Sprint techs at my local Sprint store last night. They've ordered me a new Touch Pro which I should receive in a few days. (Been less than 30 days, so they assured me I will not be getting a refab, but a new one.)

(The WiFi defect in the first device is, that it can see and even connect to WiFi access points, but when trying to use the WiFi once connected it was unusable. If the phone is one, the Sprint data connection turns on to download web pages, if the phone is off, no web pages will load at all.)

I must say, if I get a second defective Touch Pro, I can't think of anything else out there that I want, so #2 better work 100% . (No I don't want a Treo Pro, I only say that because I'm sure if I did not someone would likely suggest it .)
  12.    #612  
    You will get a new version. I'm sure it will better. I still love my Touch Pro. I also like the Treo Pro but unless I can get an incredible deal on one I'm keeping the HTC.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  13.    #613  
    Looks like we are getting a ROM update and GPS fix. Support rules!!

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Looks like we are getting a ROM update and GPS fix. Support rules!!
    A ROM update this quickly? Wasn't the 800w released months before the Touch Pro?
    Before the Sprint Touch Pro, sure.

But the unlocked Touch Pro has been around since June 2008, and really HTC has been having trouble with some of the same issues (such as GPS problems) since May 2008. (Having been deep into both the Touch Pro and Diamond rom's, I can tell you that they are extremely similar, so the fact that they have similar issues doesn't surprise me in the least.)

It's interesting to me though that HTC claimed to have fixed the GPS lag issues in the Sprint Touch Pro (among other things)....and here there're releasing a ROM update....for GPS.

So either A) GPS was even more broken than previously suggested (Vibrant is your Touch Pro's GPS broken?) or B) This is a ROM update for non-Sprint Touch Pro's.

Considering that the response is from HTC Europe, that is a further indication that it's not a Sprint ROM update.

So 6 months after release they're promising a ROM update "in the near future." Hope it's sooner, rather than later.

http://www.wmexperts.com/touch-pro-r...te-way-gps-fix
  16.    #616  
    My current device is great. My first one was kicked out of the holster by my son. I saw it go over my head. I looked left and I see hit the ground and explode. This was 24 hours after purchase. I pick it up (along with the battery door, battery, etc.) put it back together and power it on. Things were working fine and it had a major dent in the right corner. GPS worked fine as well, no lag. Anyway, I got Worst Buy to exchange it for a spanking new one. This one works great. Again, no GPS lag at all. Used it for an hour yesterday.

Regardless of timing HTC is supporting their devices which is positive news. I am not going to spin this reply and claim HTC is faster than Palm with updates. I would rather point out we are getting support and that is what really matters. Really my device works great and have no clue what the release will fix.

Ebag, it is WMExperts first article on their page. This is a Sprint ROM update.

It's not a Sprint Touch ROM Pro update, though it'll probably be used later as the basis for one. It's also not clear that this ROM will fix any GPS lag issues, but we know that HTC is at least aware of the problem.

HTC has also gone through a few minor hardware revisions on the Sprint Touch Pro, evidenced by the different build dates. For instance, a common complaint is the "paint" wearing off the plastic on the back. Also issues with consistency with the KB lights, earpiece quality, flush buttons, etc.

While it's nice for those who buy now, it's unfortunate for those who bought early. Sill, HTC is at least addressing this problems though you'll have to return/exchange at Sprint for to get a "fix"--which can be a PITA.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/24/2009 at 01:04 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    My current device is great. My first one was kicked out of the holster by my son. I saw it go over my head. I looked left and I see hit the ground and explode. This was 24 hours after purchase. I pick it up (along with the battery door, battery, etc.) put it back together and power it on. Things were working fine and it had a major dent in the right corner. GPS worked fine as well, no lag. Anyway, I got Worst Buy to exchange it for a spanking new one. This one works great. Again, no GPS lag at all. Used it for an hour yesterday.

Regardless of timing HTC is supporting their devices which is positive news. I am not going to spin this reply and claim HTC is faster than Palm with updates. I would rather point out we are getting support and that is what really matters. Really my device works great and have no clue what the release will fix.

Ebag, it is WMExperts first article on their page. This is a Sprint ROM update.
    It's hard to imagine the GPS being any faster than it already is on the Sprint Touch Pro, but if the geniuses at HTC have found a way, that's amazing news!
  19.    #619  
    It may be an issue with earlier models but on mine its much faster and accurate with than my 800. Not trying to discredit the 800 just comparing it since that is why this thread was created. HTC has been improving on this device with each batch. Mal is correct about keyboard lightning and button placement because my 2nd device is totally different from my first in this category (better). Again HTC is supporting their device in everyway for the better. They are a Company that is standing behind their products which is why I own one.

I noticed GPS lag on my 800w and found the lag on the Touch Pro to be similar. It's a short lag, but I noticed it on my 2 800ws and my current Touch Pro. If HTC has a means to decrease the lag, great. With HTC, people e-mail them about concerns and get a response mentioning if a patch or update is actually in the works. And honestly that's something I used to see Palm doing with devices I had before the 800w, but have not seen them doing that with the 800w. We have no documented confirmation Palm will release any more 800w updates.