Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 724
  1. #581  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I mentioned in other posts that the Sprint stores I called said the 800w were selling quite well.
    There are quite a few postings sprint centric forums elsewhere from verified sprint store workers that the 800w is not selling well and has a high return rate. When I got my spare batteries at two stores the managers told me it was selling very poorly.

    It maybe selling slightly better now due to documented availability problems with the hot selling Touch Pro since if people want a Sprint WM keyboard device right now the 800 is the only other choice.

    Also people are being offered steeper discounts on the 800w from sprint. That happens because a phone is either discontinued (denied by many here) or if it is a dog seller.
  2.    #582  
    The 800w will be $49.99 when the Treo Pro gets here. That should move the remaining inventory and then Trumpets will play the death song.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3. #583  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    So they've moved it to a subdomain. It's not with the more popular devices ...
    Point being is that you are wrong on the assertion "Best Buy stopped selling the 800w months ago"
    1. They still sell it stores
    2. It's still on their website

    Ergo, Best Buy still sells the 800w. Case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There are quite a few postings sprint centric forums elsewhere from verified sprint store workers that the 800w is not selling well and has a high return rate.
    And in NYC it does sell well. Plus, once again people are ignoring the findings by JP Morgan that I posted earlier which suggests otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    The 800w will be $49.99 when the Treo Pro gets here. That should move the remaining inventory and then Trumpets will play the death song.
    History suggests that won't happen. Only HTC products get discounted so heavily. Palm Treos, no matter how bad they were (cough 700p) have never sold for less than $199 on Sprint.

    I also doubt Sprint has "too much inventory" as they knew about the Treo Pro since at least August/September and could plan supply accordingly.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #584  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Point being is that you are wrong on the assertion "Best Buy stopped selling the 800w months ago"
    Statements about Best Buy were only supporting evidence to prove the 800w is not selling well. And I was provided evidence that proves Best Buy has moved it to the back. Much the way Palm has moved it to the right of their page.

    Bottom line, ask JP Morgan about the 800w today.

    Initially I stated regarding Sprint:
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If the 800ws were selling, it would not be getting pushed as far out of marketing rotation as it is. Even the Centro is getting more, because its selling more.
    And it is being shown even at Best Buy. Because the Centro still has top domain status.

    Anyway, this is my last comment on this sidebar of how poorly the 800w performed in sales.
  5. #585  
    /me edits

    Post removed.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/15/2009 at 12:08 PM.
  6. #586  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And in NYC it does sell well. Plus, once again people are ignoring the findings by JP Morgan that I posted earlier which suggests otherwise.
    That is from July 30, almost certainly resulting from store checks that would have been July 14 -27.

    You should recall that the stores and sprint online accidentally sold them a few days before release date. My store (a major metro area) got two the first week. They sold both before release date (one to me), and got no more for ten days.

    In that report JP morgan is no no way citing high sales at all. What they say, and emphasize, by saying twice is there, was no supply:

    "there aren’t enough Treo 800Ws to meet
    demand. Assuming PALM can overcome what appears to be a
    supply-constraint, "

    "Four of
    ten Best Buys (offering the 800W at $180 with a 2-year contract)
    in the NY tri-state area complained of zero inventory, and weekly
    deliveries of just 5 units, which sell out nearly immediately. We
    heard similar complaints at Sprint stores, where inventory levels
    ranged from zero to just 5 units, typically.
    "

    A Manhattan store having five of a brand new handset and sellign out is not indicative of large demand.

    Again this does not disprove, or even run against, my alternate hypothesis.
  7. #587  
    It wasn't meant to disprove or prove anything. I have no idea what the 800w sales have been. No one here knows the numbers.

    All we have here is anecdotal evidence:"I heard from this guy..." stories and "They put it to the right on the website!" observations. Pretty weak stuff.

    It's fun to discuss for sure, but honestly it is just all conjecture and pretty pointless. My only purpose is serving as the skeptic, as without any numbers, I'm loathe to believe any of this stuff. I'd be laughed out of my lab if I made the case some are trying to make here.

    All we do know is that Palm/Sprint think the Treo Pro will serve them better. A fair assumption--it's a newer generation device after all. Ford doesn't just make a 2009 car because they feel the 2008 was a failure--maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Either way, they feel the 2009 will serve them better (maybe it will, maybe it won't).

    But that tells you nothing of previous sales. Apple didn't replace the iPhone so quickly because sales were bad, they just thought they could do better. There's no mystery there. And absent any sales figures, it is a logical fallacy to draw any conclusions on device success/failure because of an updated device.

    There is no connection. But when you have 3 people here (who admittedly and strongly don't like the 800w) saying there is a connection, I have to criticize not their opinion but their logic.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/15/2009 at 02:30 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #588  
    Anyone listen to Howard Stern this morning? He has a Treo 800 and hates it. He averages 8-10 Million listeners a day. Man, that's got to hurt. Robin told him to get the Pre so tha may have helped. Only problem is Gary said it would not be released for another few months and Howard said he didn't want to wait. Artie told him to get a BlackBerry.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  9. #589  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Anyone listen to Howard Stern this morning? He has a Treo 800 and hates it. He averages 8-10 Million listeners a day. Man, that's got to hurt. Robin told him to get the Pre so tha may have helped. Only problem is Gary said it would not be released for another few months and Howard said he didn't want to wait. Artie told him to get a BlackBerry.
    Ouch! The Treo Pro can't get here fast enough. The Touch Pro is a great option but much more of a power-users phone than the 800w since it has much more capability.
  10. #590  
    Howard's a long time Garnet/Treo user (600, 650, etc.).

    His problem is with Windows Mobile, not so much the device ;-) As for waiting for the Treo Pro, you can join the other 3-5 people who are anxious too, lol.

    And people who get their tech advice from shock jocks? Well...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #591  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Howard's a long time Garnet/Treo user (600, 650, etc.).

    His problem is with Windows Mobile, not so much the device ;-) As for waiting for the Treo Pro, you can join the other 3-5 people who are anxious too, lol.

    And people who get their tech advice from shock jocks? Well...
    And, Howard has self-admitted being technological illiterate.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  12. #592  
    Don't look now but HTC just released a major ROM update for the Sprint Diamond.
  13. #593  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    And, Howard has self-admitted being technological illiterate.
    lol, I thought that was implied when I said he used Garnet? And yeah, he's pretty slow on these things. Actually, that's not even a slam--most humans are not privy to these things, they're busy living their lives.

    (And actually, I really like Garnet, but still...)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #594  
    Howard has a cult following. If he don't like then many don't like and vice versa. It's amazing the power the ******* has.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  15. #595  
    Darnell, so what's the verdict? Are you keeping the Touch Pro?
  16. #596  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Darnell, so what's the verdict? Are you keeping the Touch Pro?
    I've got to tell you, once I realized BlueTooth Audio v1.0 was working with the Touch Pro volume controls and my BT headset volume was not being reset to low after every call. That sealed it for me man. (I had literally stopped using my Moto H680 BT headset because of the 800w BT issues.) I'm keeping the Touch Pro. From this point, any issues would only result in me seeking a 2nd. (Of course I'm not into going for 3rds though .) But I've got no reason to consider a replacement, mine is working fantastic.

    I have found one bug in the Touch Pro that was highly annoying. HTC has already confirmed they will release a patch. That was a comfort. Because when Palm is asked about 800w issues we really don't know if they'll ever commit to trying to fix them. Which is not how I remember it being with some older Treo models I've had when they had problems. I loaded up TouchPal last night and the bug does not occur in TouchPal. It also does not occur when using the hard keyboard, only the soft full qwerty. Word is, that the bug is in the Sprint ROM and people who get customized non-Sprint ROMs don't have the issue. (I'm not considering a custom ROM unless it unlocks something like the FM radio.) I'm still playing with TouchPal, can't say much more about that application at the moment, other than I'm leaning towards keeping it for reasons other than it does not have the bug. (I'll probably post a comment just about TouchPal once I'm more schooled in all its features.) But even without TouchPal I can use the hard keyboard when needed as a workaround, although I hardly ever use the hard keyboard, I was able to go one handed with the full soft qwerty (both the stock version and TouchPal) rather quickly, I was surprised I got it so fast. I think having InvisibleSheild helped, because I was able to press the screen without any fear of scratching or leaving other marks. Problem with InvisbleSheild, is that it makes the device too thick for a ProClip, but my old Hong Kong knockoff car mount holds anything and so I'm able to use that mounted off the car air vent. It will even hold my Touch Pro sideways if I want to view things in landscape . (ProClip pulled their Touch Pro holder that held it sideways.)

    Overall, I'm finding the keyboard concern to have been nothing more than a mental barrier and I'm having no issues with the soft keyboard. (Except for that one bug, but with TouchPal that's not a concern.) And really being without the Treo keyboard was the biggest concern. With InvisbleSheild concerns about fingerprints and scratching are no longer a concern.

    I've still got to do some of my own testing of the GPS, but I can't say Sprint ever claimed it was anything more than I've already experienced. It's way too cold to go outside testing GPS . If my own testing finds the Sprint Touch Pro can't do stand alone GPS, obviously Sprint is locking it down as they are doing with the Sprint Treo Pro.

    But I really was not wanting out of the 800w, till I kept having various stability issue and other problems I've never bothered mentioning because I've got no reason to pile on more detailing those issues here, my issues with Palm are settled. I'm not having those issues with the Touch Pro. I can "wear down" the Touch Pro, but I have not been able to "knock it out" with things I've tested that may be regular activity for me. I'm able to do things with the Touch Pro that would cause my 800w to lock up or die the moment the screen shut off. A bug comes up in the Touch Pro and HTC has openly committed to at some point providing a fix, while with the 800w issues were sometimes not even admitted to be issues and there was no open statements to resolve those issues although that's in Palm's warranty document. In the Palm.com forums, it took weeks of complaining before they even admitted a BT volume bug existed. I don't care what the source is, it's a bug I'm happy to leave behind.

    And then there's the support of the large Touch Pro community. I mean it's crazy and hard to even keep up with all that is going on. In time the FM radio in the Sprint Touch Pro might be accessed, we're pretty sure Sprint had it locked down. But reports are coming that are more promising than things looked for FM radio access a while back. Then there are the efforts for improved camera and other features. It's like I remember TC being years ago, times about 5. There's not just XDA, there are lots of sites providing 3rd party Touch Pro support, even for the Sprint model.

    Now when my wife calls me, I never miss it, because the Touch Pro does not die on me unexpectedly. That's a rather gigantic plus.
  17. #597  
    Thanks for the feedback, good to hear. I've had 3 "sessions" with the Touch Pro and although I try hard to like it, I'm just not feelin it.

    My replacement 800w has been doing much better as a phone, but I'm starting to run into other new issues and it's just annoying.
  18. #598  
    Well that bug I mentioned, I've already been provided another good workaround.

    Zbop, all I can say is maybe you should try the Treo Pro .
  19. #599  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well that bug I mentioned, I've already been provided another good workaround.

    Zbop, all I can say is maybe you should try the Treo Pro .
    Oh I'll definitely try one out, once they are available and if I can make the swap relatively cheap. Truth be told, I'm also getting a bit annoyed with WM as well, seeing the Pre just makes it glaringly apparent how out-of-date it really is...
  20. #600  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, good to hear. I've had 3 "sessions" with the Touch Pro and although I try hard to like it, I'm just not feelin it.

    My replacement 800w has been doing much better as a phone, but I'm starting to run into other new issues and it's just annoying.
    I had the Touch Pro for a month and went back to the 800W. I just could never type well on the on screen keyboard and I just seem more productive with the 800W. Call me a Luddite, but I actually liked my 700p best of all. But I need the wi-fi so I had to give it up. I am fairly happy with the 800W.

Posting Permissions