Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Yar... I have this same functionality with tMan and Treo Pro users have it too, with that same task manager, and there are many other options available as well...
    No app required for TP. You can 3rd party your 800 as much as you want. Some people (especially in my case) get burned installing 3rd party apps. My device had 3rd party side effects. Some required hard resetting, not fun. Congrats that iy works for you.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Folks, I think I've found the best feature ever! Who hates pressing OK on your 800 so nothing is running in the backround? Those days are over. If you X out on TP it's closed, completely. For those who are as shocked as I here you go.

Built onto the ROM, no need to fiddle with any 3rd party applications to have this feature, SWEET!

After my issues with Magic Button, I just deal with closing via Task Manager on my Treo 800w.

VibrantRedGT, you know you want that Curve back. Be a man and admit it ! It didn't have so many applications available to fool around with and worry about them still being open, so you didn't have to worry about closing anything. You know you can't get any more efficient than that !
  3.    #43  
    Thought I would post pics of the Program and Settings folders. Coupld of new items like Updating PRL, Account, etc.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Yar... I have this same functionality with tMan and Treo Pro users have it too, with that same task manager, and there are many other options available as well...
    Yeah, I bet you have slide2unlock and an iphone interface too . I'm sure his point was that it is a standard feature on his phone; Whereas, Palm left their customers 'out to dry' by not even thinking about a way to succesfully exit out of any application they wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Built onto the ROM, no need to fiddle with any 3rd party applications to have this feature, SWEET!

After my issues with Magic Button, I just deal with closing via Task Manager on my Treo 800w.

VibrantRedGT, you know you want that Curve back. Be a man and admit it ! It didn't have so many applications available to fool around with and worry about them still being open, so you didn't have to worry about closing anything. You know you can't get any more efficient than that !
    Yes... As I said... Same as the one on all HTC devices as of late, including the Treo Pro... LOL
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazment View Post
    Yeah, I bet you have slide2unlock and an iphone interface too . I'm sure his point was that it is a standard feature on his phone; Whereas, Palm left their customers 'out to dry' by not even thinking about a way to succesfully exit out of any application they wanted to.
    Nope... No S2U2 for me... I do run UltimateLaunch, though, for more Today screen real estate.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I noticed in the "Settings" a "Video Out" option. So your Touch Pro can do something like easily output video from a movie to a monitor?
  8.    #48  
    Yes, you can use it to play videos. I have movies like Hancock, The Dark Night and more on my memory card. I will get ahold of the cord and see it I can display on my flatscreen. It also has the printer out like the 800.

The G-Sensor icon you see is for tilting the device. It will automatically change to portrait or landscape when you tilt it just like the iPhone.

MPTrimmer I just tried out. You load a song off the memory card or device. Then delete the first portion or second portion leaving you with the clip you want. Make your MP3 ringers in seconds. Again, no 3rd party app to add.

Sounds- They added completely new much cooler sounds to the "Sounds & Notifications" folder finally.

Oh, and in the screenshot above I added the Today Screen pic to show you how many items that can be added since there is alot of screen real estate.

Again, no 3rd party app to add.
    Which means it has the full support of the manufacturer. If there is a problem with it, it's not simply something downloaded free, but an issue with a product customers paid money for.

If you need to hard reset, that's one less application you have to worry about reinstalling.

But hey, where's the backup application??? I know you use SKTools, but what was on the device for backups naively?
  10.    #50  
    Your right. It didn't come with Sprite. I wonder what happened there. I did a back up today with SKTools.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Streaming Media app. You can put a streaming web address in there and it will play choppy free.

QuickGPS is another app. Its speeds up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellite data via an internet connection.

World Card Mobile. Honestly I have not idea what this is.

Audio Booster. You know how the Treo headset has weak volume? This app give the headphone a nice boost in volume.

Teeter the game is sick. You try to get this ball in an area through a maze. This is where the G-Sensor comes into play. You can feel the ball move and hit the sides. My 4 year old has been playing it for about an hour.

I am thinking of making the switch from the 800w mostly because I can't take the sound quality. I can't talk on the phone without bluetooth, it sounds like a bass speaker.. the earpiece vibrates and sounds all muffled. I wonder if I complain to Sprint enough if they will let me switch phones.

My big concern, can I tether off of the touch the way I do off of the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWise23 View Post
    My big concern, can I tether off of the touch the way I do off of the 800w?
    There are hacks for it, if that's what you're looking for. One thing not mentioned in the review by VRGT, is that owning an HTC device comes with the informal, but full support of the hackers at XDA Developers. You would want to look around here for what you want and more, because it's all there. (Raphael is the HTC code name for the Touch Pro.)

The XDA Developers option changes the score from Touch Pro 6 vs. Treo 800 3 to Touch Pro 106 vs. Treo 800 3
  13.    #53  
    Don't for get PPC Geeks. They have an Upgrade forum for each device which has custom ROM's and hacks. A real nice program is call Build OS Kitchen. Basically its a ROM you build yourself. It has a checklist and you pick which items you want on the ROM. I will probably try one out shortly. There are so many to choose from.

Don't for get PPC Geeks. They have an Upgrade forum for each device which has custom ROM's and hacks. A real nice program is call Build OS Kitchen. Basically its a ROM you build yourself. It has a checklist and you pick which items you want on the ROM. I will probably try one out shortly. There are so many to choose from.
    PPC Geeks has a Treo 800w forum, but hmmm, it does not have an "upgrades" forum for the 800w... Could it be because Palm locks down their device ROMs so there is no wealth of custom ROMs? Yes, that is why...

If this was a sport, at this point the score is so lop sided, the Treo 800 team would have to forfeit by default. As if the coaches on the Treo 800 team literally tied one hand of all their players behind their backs!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    PPC Geeks has a Treo 800w forum, but hmmm, it does not have an "upgrades" forum for the 800w... Could it be because Palm locks down their device ROMs so there is no wealth of custom ROMs? Yes, that is why...

If this was a sport, at this point the score is so lop sided, the Treo 800 team would have to forfeit by default. As if the coaches on the Treo 800 team literally tied one hand of all their players behind their backs!
    The 800w ROM is no more locked down than the HTC ROM.

HTC's are generally hacked before Palm's simply because there are more people using them. I've actually modified the 800w's ROM....I'm just too chicken to upload it to my device, as I can't afford to brick it.

There's a few which have required passwords and such to get into the bootloader. Fortunately Palm has never had any silly restrictions on that.

A custom 800w ROM has never been about the capability of modifying the ROM. It's been about someone willing to take the risk and be the first person to actually load a modified ROM on their device, and someone willing to actually learn how to do so. A good example is the 700wx's custom ROM's. They were actually incredibly easier to build, much easier than several other devices I tried (including some HTC ones). We could have had custom ROM's a week after the phone was released, just no one bothered to do so.

Unfortunately, most users complain about something, but do nothing to actually help with the problem.

Yes, you can use it to play videos. I have movies like Hancock, The Dark Night and more on my memory card. I will get ahold of the cord and see it I can display on my flatscreen.
    That's the coolest feature of the Touch Pro. The new Redfly's have a media in port which lets you basically turn it into a portable flatscreen. That's a killer combo, if you want lots of "wow" factor to impress folks, you should check it out.
    VRGT - man you are making me look at the TP again now! I really want/need a better screen but not necessarily all that goes with the Pro (size, functionality, etc). Looking forward to more of your feedback as you play with the TP.
  17.    #57  
    The more I play with the more I realize you have to touch the screen for mostly everything if you want to move fast. The D pad when browsing the internet can be slow. Simply drag your index finger to scroll faster (Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and PIE). Normally if your use to pressing the Start button and trying to scroll to something in the menu box you either pull the stylus or use the D pad. With the TP you press the Start button with your finger and the menu is now finger friendly to press anything. Everything can be used with your finger. I haven't used the stylus yet nor do I ever anyway.

The fact that I have the X button to completely close out programs I now average around 150MB free vs. the 125MB in the picture on Page 1 of this thread. For those keeping score that it roughly double the amount of free RAM (I averaged 65MB, see picture on Page 1) I have with the Treo.

Right now I'm still using it in the Non-TouchFlo3D mode. It's faster and more pratical. The Wow factor is in TouchFlo mode though. Some features carry over though. You can scroll the contact list with your finger like the iPhone. I've been doing internet test speeds every few hours. I am averaging right at 1000kb/sec.

When you plug the device into your PC or Laptop the phone has a pop that has two options. ActiveSync is one and the other is Device Storage (or something like that). I haven't used it but I believe it's like Mass Storage. You can actually turn this menu off if you don't want the choices shown on the device.

BATTERY LIFE
    Since it is the end of the day (East Coast) I promised to report on battery life. Many may have noticed when I posted the Today Screen screenshots above the charger indicator was up at the top right. The time was 5PM. I got 9 hours out of it with pretty heavy usage. Also another note, the phone doesn't charge as fast as we are all use to with the Treo. In fact you can't charge it all while hooked up to PC or Laptop. It just doesn't produce enough juice. The battery is better than the Treo. It's not a huge difference but enough that you will notice. Also I have the VGA screen cranked up. It's just so nice I can't turn it down. I'd rather put it on the charger when I can.

So Day 1 is over. Half in TouchFlo and the other without it. All I can say is I am impressed. It's not perfect but it does what it needs to very well and looks incredible doing it. After 1 day I can honestly say the Treo is for sale. I just cannot take a step backwards. It's like using a tube TV then watching High Def. You can't go back to regular TV. As I get more comfortable I'm sure it will get even better.

Also another note, the phone doesn't charge as fast as we are all use to with the Treo. In fact you can't charge it all while hooked up to PC or Laptop. It just doesn't produce enough juice.
    That makes sense. The HTC ROM's aren't quite as power efficient as Palm's, and there's a lot more hardware being driven there.

Major bummer you can't charge via USB though. That'd be a deal breaker to me since I often travel where charging by the wall wart is not feasible/possible.
    The more I play with the more I realize you have to touch the screen for mostly everything if you want to move fast. The D pad when browsing the internet can be slow. Simply drag your index finger to scroll faster (Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and PIE). Normally if your use to pressing the Start button and trying to scroll to something in the menu box you either pull the stylus or use the D pad. With the TP you press the Start button with your finger and the menu is now finger friendly to press anything. Everything can be used with your finger. I haven't used the stylus yet nor do I ever anyway.
    How's the screen looking with all that "touching"? Has it been easy for you to wipe off? How does it compare with when you used to get stuff stuck in the corners of your 800w?

I am averaging right at 1000kb/sec.
    Sweet!

When you plug the device into your PC or Laptop the phone has a pop that has two options. ActiveSync is one and the other is Device Storage (or something like that). I haven't used it but I believe it's like Mass Storage. You can actually turn this menu off if you don't want the choices shown on the device.
    This is a most awesome feature. Especially since it's like hunt and peck finding an application for doing this on the 800w. Problem with the 800w is that even when used as a mass storage device the file transfer speeds are just as slow as moving files with ActiveSync on. Can you test moving files to your device's storage card with ActiveSync on and compare with the mass storage setting? (If you see a speed difference, this may be the point where I regret ever buying the 800w. I'm almost wishing you don't see a speed difference, just so I don't feel the regret!) You'll need to test moving a pretty large file.

In fact you can't charge it all while hooked up to PC or Laptop. It just doesn't produce enough juice.
    You're saying neither your PC or laptop could charge your Touch Pro at all? Not even slowly? I wonder if the size of your PC's power supply (along with all the PC components it has to power) plays a role in this? (I'm suspecting a PC with a powerful enough power supply can do it. I always buy my PC power supplies too large, just in case I need more juice.) Anyone else out there with an HTC Touch Pro reading this? Can you charge via your PC and can you charge via your laptop?

I also wonder how the HTC Touch Pro would do with the Sprint Portable Power Pack?

You have been using a car charge with no problems though right?

After 1 day I can honestly say the Treo is for sale. I just cannot take a step backwards. It's like using a tube TV then watching High Def. You can't go back to regular TV. As I get more comfortable I'm sure it will get even better.
    Give it another week, you'll be crying for that Curve .
  20.    #60  
    The screen looks fine after touching. You hit the button at the top to turn it off then just wipe it off with your shirt, pants or whatever.

Disk Drive is what its called. It is a little faster then ActiveSync and here's why. When you connect the cord and it asks then press Disk Drive the device takes a few seconds to connect. Once connected the phone will not ActiveSync. Ever try to do something on the device while it's Syncing? It gets slow, freezes, etc. I transferred a 6.1MB music file which took 8 seconds get on the device and it took 2 seconds to get off the device.
    The same exact file with ActiveSync took 10 seconds on and 2 seconds off. So not a huge difference.

PC and Laptop charging. Let's try a test. Later when my battery is lower I will take a screenshot of it as soon as I connect it to my laptop. Then 30 minutes later I will take another screenshot right before I pull it off. Then we will see if it's charging while connected. Look for this test later in the day.

It charges fine with my car charger. I am use to the 800 charging very quickly. This one takes much longer is all.

No Curve for me. It's a great device just lacked 2 things I really like. One is Windows and two is Speed. Sprint does not offer a high speed BB.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast