Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1.    #521  
    The Mogul and Treo Pro does this as well. Bascially pretty much all late HTC devices work this way.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    OK, so one of my problems with the 800w was that file transfer via USB to the MicroSDHC card is dreadfully slow and never could I find a program that would speed it up. I found plenty of programs that could turn the 800w's card slot into a USB flash drive, but none of the programs had any impact on file transfer speed.

I know VRGT has mentioned the Disk Drive feature on the Touch Pro already. But I never felt VRGT's file transfer test was using a large enough file. With small files anything can move them rather quickly, you don't really get to see true file transfer performance unless a big file is used. So I've run my own tests using a 693MB file (726,978,560 bytes). An AVI file sized for VCD.

Here are the results of my testing. The MicroSDHC card used in this testing is a SanDisk 8GB class 6 card.
    • Sprint HTC Touch Pro using ActiveSync, took forever, I left after 30 minutes and it was not even close to being done. Very much as I've witnessed when using the 800w. (This way is so slow, I didn't bother waiting around to get the exact final time, it often takes hours. I knew this was no good for me.)
    • Sprint HTC Touch Pro using its built in "Disk Drive" setting to make the card slot a USB flash drive, 4 minutes. (The Touch Pro sync cable is in a USB 2.0 slot on my PC.)
    • Using a Sandisk MicroSDHC card reader in a USB 1.0 slot, 12 minutes.
    • Using a Sandisk MicroSDHC card reader in a USB 2.0 slot, 45 seconds.

So the Disk Drive setting on the Sprint HTC Touch Pro when the sync cable is in a USB 2.0 slot, can transfer files faster than a stand alone card reader that is in a USB 1.0 slot, but slower than a stand alone card reader that is in a USB 2.0 slot.

I was very pleased to see the Touch Pro could move files faster in its Disk Drive mode. Before my own testing, I was thinking perhaps the Touch Pro might transfer files slowly no matter what mode was used. Now I do feel I don't have to use the stand alone card reader any longer.

To add/remove a card with the Touch Pro, the back cover must be removed, which is a small hassle not experienced with the 800w, which has a small door on the outside of the device for the card slot. But since my Touch Pro can move files quickly in Disk Drive mode, I won't need to take the card out any longer, as I used to with my 800w, to put it in a stand alone card reader for fast file transfer. I figure the next time I remove my 8GB MicroSDHC card from my Touch Pro, it will be to replace it with a 16GB or 32GB card .
  3.    #523  
    I never did test it with a huge file only one MP3. Good to know it really works if I need to transfer large files. What I love about this device is I have zero issue with A.S. I never could sync any of the 800's I've owned. Hell my 700wx (back up device) syncs fine too.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    A concern I had about the Touch Pro was the performance when things like Touch Flo 3D is enabled. And I figured I could simply turn it off if I found it slowed things down. But I've noticed, that absolutely no application I've installed and no native application outside of Touch Flo 3D performs sluggishly. Everything not running in the Touch Flo 3D interface runs faster and more stable on my Touch Pro than with my Treo 800w.

I never disabled Touch Flo 3D though. Because honestly I kind of like it . I didn't think I'd like it, but I kind of do. So I've kept it on. But after a few days, I noticed Touch Flo 3D would sometimes perform slowly. I'd hit a button on the screen and it was literally seconds later before there was a response on the screen. This was a short lived issue for me, because I did find hacks to improve Touch Flo 3D performance. (Using just the first 2 listed there was enough for me, I have not seen any need to use the TFL3D Scrolling Speed hack because all is fast enough for me now.) And with the abundance of power in the Touch Pro, making those adjustments does not noticeably negatively impact anywhere else.

I will say, those hacks are not something most Touch Pro owners will ever utilize. And they are not the easiest of hacks to apply. Personally I don't use Advanced Config, I found all the registry values for the first hack via other means. So most Touch Pro owners will likely find Touch Flo 3D to be sluggish and apart from the hacks it does lag at times.

I've now found, that those who claim the Touch Pro runs sluggish are typically talking about Touch Flo 3D apart from using any hacks. Bottom line though, the non-techie user who gets a Touch Pro may feel it's slower than the 800w and they're not caught up into details about it involving Touch Flo 3D, which is not on the Treo 800w.

There is also talk about the Touch Pro's video performance. I've found that issue usually involves videos (or other multimedia) produced to use (or material that can recognize and attempt to utilize) the full 640 X 480 resolution. It's not easy to get a video made for the full 640 X 480 resolution to perform well on the Touch Pro. But most VCD files are typically less than 640 X 480. And material that was made for 320 X 320 resolution, which is the 800w's maximum resolution runs more than well from what I've seen. Even material above 320 X 320, but less than 640 X 480 I've been able to have run well on the Touch Pro. When I had an 800w, I had trouble getting video to run well if I tried to produce it at 320 X 320 resolution. So neither the Touch Pro or 800w performed well when I made video for their maximum resolution. They both run better when the resolution is set smaller than their maximum. Given the Touch Pro has a larger maximum resolution, there's a good bit more room to work with when making videos.

I'm so impressed with the Touch Pro running videos and being able to have the great sound quality of wired 3.5mm headphones. I'm going to buy Core Player again in the not so distant future. I had purchased Core Player when I had the 800w, but was not happy with it. But video looks so good on the Touch Pro, I now want to play more and more videos on it. I'm usually into playing music on hand helds and use laptops for video when traveling, but now I'm feeling the Touch Pro will be suitable for video when on the go. Sure will be easier to hold a Touch Pro on a crowded airplane than a laptop . The 800w's screen was just a little too small, so I didn't seriously use it for videos, but the Touch Pro's looks large enough and good enough to use. Plus given as I said most VCD files are usually less than 640 X 480, most material I can make for VCD will likely play on the Touch Pro. (Meaning some movies I already have as VCDs will work on the Touch Pro without any hassle of adjusting them.)
  5.    #525  
    I watch videos on my Touch Pro all the time. I have about 8 full length videos ranging from Don't Mess with the Zohan to The Dark Night. The quality is amazing. Not so much on the 800. Though I have never used CorePlayer or Kinoma's pay version so not sure if it makes it better. I will also say that I spend much more time away from my laptop or PC because of this device. I especially like using my finger for everything instead of D pads.

As far as TouchFlo3D, I didn't use it in the beginning. It can be bulky at times and it does slow down. However now I do love it. The UI is amazing. I have not hacked it even though I know how to. I do like playing music or video, browsing pictures and videos right from one tab. I've had this device over a month and I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I watch videos on my Touch Pro all the time. I have about 8 full length videos ranging from Don't Mess with the Zohan to The Dark Night. The quality is amazing. Not so much on the 800. Though I have never used CorePlayer or Kinoma's pay version so not sure if it makes it better. ...
    If you're happy playing videos with what you have you might as well continue with it. CorePlayer plays more formats and works with more codecs. So you could make a video for the Touch Pro that had better quality than what you're already using, but if you're happy with what you've got no need to bother. KinomaPlay as you know provides access to a lot more material.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I watch videos on my Touch Pro all the time. I have about 8 full length videos ranging from Don't Mess with the Zohan to The Dark Night. The quality is amazing. Not so much on the 800. Though I have never used CorePlayer or Kinoma's pay version so not sure if it makes it better. I will also say that I spend much more time away from my laptop or PC because of this device. I especially like using my finger for everything instead of D pads.

As far as TouchFlo3D, I didn't use it in the beginning. It can be bulky at times and it does slow down. However now I do love it. The UI is amazing. I have not hacked it even though I know how to. I do like playing music or video, browsing pictures and videos right from one tab. I've had this device over a month and I still love it.
    That's the whole point of these devices. I feel like I'm tethered to my PC at all times with my 800w due to various bugs and paltry battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    That's the whole point of these devices. I feel like I'm tethered to my PC at all times with my 800w due to various bugs and paltry battery life.
    The only thing I'm tethered to with my 800W is my Redfly. The 800w works great and with the Redfly, I get plenty of work done.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    The only thing I'm tethered to with my 800W is my Redfly. The 800w works great and with the Redfly, I get plenty of work done.
    It also works great with a netbook (MSI Wind) when using Wifi Router via BT or Wifi tethering--shoot, I can run Sling on my MSI Wind via the 800w and it looks fantastic. I just leave my 800w on with Wifi nearly 8-10hrs a day. Rock solid. Plus, seeing as the 800w charges so fast when plugged in, the battery never dies like on HTC devices.

during the day, I get 12hrs with push email and still have 47% battery left.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Plus, seeing as the 800w charges so fast when plugged in, the battery never dies like on HTC devices.
    Some have said they had charging issues with HTC devices, but you know there have been complaints about hiccups with charging on 800ws too. (I can pull threads of complaints about it on the 800w even after updates were applied as fast as you can pull some threads saying the same from a Touch Pro forum. It's something some have had with either device, but not everyone using several applications while on a charge.) I can say as far as my Touch Pro is concerned, I have not had any cases where the device was hooked to power, I was using lots of applications and it would not charge up. Also, the Touch Pro does not need 20 minutes to wake up if the battery is used up and you put it on a charger.
    I'm sure many of you know about the application BlueTooth Audio v1.0. And you know it's been lamented and lamented about how we could not adjust the volume (using the 800w). We thought it must be something that needs to be added to a future version of the application.

Well tonight I loaded up BlueTooth Audio v1.0 on my Touch Pro. The room is pretty quiet and I had my Moto H680 BT headset pretty deep in my ear hole. I started playing some music for a test run of the application, to ensure it works on the Touch Pro. Having the headset ear piece deep in my ear, the volume of the music was pretty loud, I instinctively started pressing volume down on my Touch Pro, but wondering "will this even work", well although I figured it would not IT DID WORK! Using BlueTooth Audio v1.0 on my Touch Pro I can adjust the volume. Tonight, I've since installed and will use acbToggleBT instead, because it's faster and easier to use. I can adjust the volume using acbToggleBT too. I guess someone with an 800w could test and see if you can change the volume using acbToggleBT.

But I guess all this time BlueTooth Audio v1.0 allowed for volume adjustment and we just didn't know it. Something in the Treo 800w prevents the volume control from working.
    Another of the complaints about the 800w, is that when using a BT headset for calls, the volume always starts out low. It seems upping the volume is never saved and you've got to up the volume with each new call. This is something we all wrote off as a WM bug. Since it has been an issue with some other older WM devices.

Well, been testing with the Touch Pro and Moto H680 tonight and my BT headset volume during calls is remaining at the max level I set it to. Even after I turn the headset off and back on again. Every call I start, the BT headset volume is at the max. I even soft reset my Touch Pro and still after it came back up, I turned back on the Moto H680, made a call, the BT headset volume was still at the max level I set it too.

Ah relief!
    It also works great with a netbook (MSI Wind) when using Wifi Router via BT or Wifi tethering--shoot, I can run Sling on my MSI Wind via the 800w and it looks fantastic. I just leave my 800w on with Wifi nearly 8-10hrs a day. Rock solid. Plus, seeing as the 800w charges so fast when plugged in, the battery never dies like on HTC devices.

during the day, I get 12hrs with push email and still have 47% battery left.
    To me, the WIND and the 800 are the best combination. I teather my wind to my 800 via BT and get great speeds. Battery last great as well. I'm not having that luck with the Touch Pro, speed is not that great, and it just kills the battery.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Another of the complaints about the 800w, is that when using a BT headset for calls, the volume always starts out low. It seems upping the volume is never saved and you've got to up the volume with each new call. This is something we all wrote off as a WM bug. Since it has been an issue with some other older WM devices.

Well, been testing with the Touch Pro and Moto H680 tonight and my BT headset volume during calls is remaining at the max level I set it to. Even after I turn the headset off and back on again. Every call I start, the BT headset volume is at the max. I even soft reset my Touch Pro and still after it came back up, I turned back on the Moto H680, made a call, the BT headset volume was still at the max level I set it too.

Ah relief!
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    To me, the WIND and the 800 are the best combination. I teather my wind to my 800 via BT and get great speeds. Battery last great as well. I'm not having that luck with the Touch Pro, speed is not that great, and it just kills the battery.
    That's good to know about the Touch Pro--I'm sure it gets hot too, as many have complained that it feels like a "hot burrito" is how I've seen it put, lol.

And yeah, the MSI Wind/800w combo is finally the mobility I've been waiting for...had no idea I would like it so much (was worried about battery life on both). Plus I loaded Windows 7 on this thing and it totally rocks.

That's good to know about the Touch Pro--I'm sure it gets hot too, as many have complained that it feels like a "hot burrito" is how I've seen it put, lol.

And yeah, the MSI Wind/800w combo is finally the mobility I've been waiting for...had no idea I would like it so much (was worried about battery life on both). Plus I loaded Windows 7 on this thing and it totally rocks.
    It didn't get to hot when tethering, however I have noticed at other times it does get very hot. Don't get me wrong, its a very nice phone, I like a lot of things about it. I do kinda miss my 800 though.

Speaking of the Wind, I've been debating about installing Windows 7 on it, I have it and I'm just waiting to finally install it. Have you had any problems yet ?

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    The Touch Pro heat issue was especially a problem with the older builds of the Sprint HTC Touch Pro. With newer builds there have been far less complaints. VRGT and I have newer builds, my device's build date is 12/10/2008, ROM Date 11/11/08. There's a full thread about Touch Pro build dates over at PPCGeeks. Overall, people are finding the newer builds have less issues. It seems HTC may be adding in improvements to newer devices. There's also been talk of the heat issue being caused by a batch of bad batteries and Sprint will replace batteries if informed of an issue. Some have said Sprint has it noted as an issue. We with newer devices have not had some of those problems. But anyone with a Touch Pro that has heat issues, see if you can have Sprint give you another battery and see if that helps.

When the Touch Pro gets too hot, it won't charge. So for those with heat issues, it's a serious concern. But people buying new Touch Pros now are not speaking of as many problems.

Further supports my new position to never buy day 1 and wait a while before making a purchase of a new device .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Further supports my new position to never buy day 1 and wait a while before making a purchase of a new device .
    I agree 100%....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    And the big question is, if HTC really is making device improvements along the way, what about those with older Touch Pros? Will they get an update or do they need to haggle for a replacement device? So far, people are haggling for replacements and happier for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Speaking of the Wind, I've been debating about installing Windows 7 on it, I have it and I'm just waiting to finally install it. Have you had any problems yet ?
    Nope. Not one problem

I never used Vista, but I gotta say...Windows 7 is really nice. Runs just as fast, if not faster than XP (boots much quicker, re-connects to Wifi much faster)--real joy to use. All I had to do was install the Wifi drivers, which later in Windows Update they got updated anyways. Other than that: smooth install and recommend 100%--been running since Saturday.