Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well since someone told me to keep talking about my Touch Pro experiences, I'll say that seeing talk about the 800w PRL update issues is saddening. I mean it's great Ebag333 has found a hack to help people manually update their PRL on the 800w, but sad 800w owners have to go through such trouble. The Sprint HTC Touch Pro out of the box has "Update PRL" and "Update Profile" options in the device settings.
    Now that you mention this, I'm really surprised that Sprint did not put their foot down here and insist that Palm put out a bugfix update since it impacts Sprint directly.

Kinda odd...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Now that you mention this, I'm really surprised that Sprint did not put their foot down here and insist that Palm put out a bugfix update since it impacts Sprint directly.

Kinda odd...
    PRLs are not that important to regular service which is why they hassle you when you ask to have your account flagged

Having said that, Muffnician, a Sprint tech who posts here verified the PRL bug way back and spoke to Palm and Sprint higher-ups who said they were aware of it and were working it into a ROM fix.

Also, Sprint's OTA PRL update system is notoriously unreliable and buggy (Chris Price has written a lot on it). It has lots of problems on many phones on their network. Luckily, for a huge majority of users this has zero impact.

Case in point: where did I get that PRL update from? PPCgeeks. Why? Many Sprint devices, including HTC, have problems so people manually update it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    PRLs are not that important to regular service which is why they hassle you when you ask to have your account flagged
    Strictly speaking, I don't believe this is true. I think that Sprint likes to decide when a PRL update is important and when it's not, so they would rather flag your account when they deem it is necessary, not when you do.

Most PRL updates don't seem to make difference, but a couple of times I have had PRL updates where the change was dramatic in certain locations, YMMV.
    Strictly speaking, I don't believe this is true. I think that Sprint likes to decide when a PRL update is important and when it's not, so they would rather flag your account when they deem it is necessary, not when you do.

Most PRL updates don't seem to make difference, but a couple of times I have had PRL updates where the change was dramatic in certain locations, YMMV.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $has$ $not$ $made$ $much$ $use$ $of$ $forced$ $PRL$ $updates$.

JMO, but most anecdotal reports of improvements from PRL updates are wishful. I mean, people report better digital signals, faster EvDO speeds, etc. which is all not possible.

Here is an example of what they typically look like:
    EVDO PRL 20227 & 60608* will allow Sprint customers (with wireless data roaming capable EVDO handsets**) access to Mobile Broadband services in the Davenport, IA market. See cities listed below. This Mobile Broadband coverage is expected to launch in early 2Q07. In order for customers to take advantage these changes they must update their PRL. See Additional Resources section for more details on Mobile Broadband Connection Cards.

• Cedar Rapids, IA
    • Davenport, IA
    • Iowa City, IA
    • Muscatine, IA
    • Waterloo, IA
    • Rock Island, IL

Changes were also made to optimize acquisition between Sprint and the SRA (Strategic Roaming Alliance) partner in Southern Kansas & Oklahoma . Customers who live or travel in these locations should update their PRL in order to take advantage of digital roaming.
    So all of those folks who called Sprint and wanted this PRL had changes in IA and IL. Pretty much not useful for like 95% of us.

And another:
    Current for 606xxx is 60612. Add's support for new roaming partners being added in the 08-09 years. Easier to pickup CDMA and roaming partner networks in Sioux Falls, SD, Watertown, SD, Brookings, SD, and Sioux City, IA .
    And this info, fwiw
    Be careful about moving to new PRLs. Changes in PRLs are usually to make more money for Sprint, not to improve coverage. New PRLs sometimes *REDUCE* your coverage, or contain errors that reduce your coverage.

Because of the insidious "Re-scan SID 0653x" problems in Sprint PRLs issued in 2008, I use a copy of PRL 60611 from 2007 that has been hacked to give the appearance of being PRL 20232.
    Re changes in 60650, someone noted:
    Actually the PRL doesn't have any impact on american roaming. It's only affecting international roaming coverage.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/07/2009 at 03:23 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $has$ $not$ $made$ $use$ $of$ $forced$ $PRL$ $updates$.
    I think Zbop has a point, Mal.

I know way back when I had a dumbphone (crap, that musta been like 10 years ago), it got 2-3 forced updates over the life of the phone (couple of years) where when I called Sprint it made me update before I could talk to a CSR.

That being said, Mal is essentially correct. The vast majority of PRL updates don't effect the vast majority of users.

However, I do have a question Mal. I'm looking at the 60650 PRL list, and it's listing not only whats's assigned but if data is allowed.

Isn't it possible for certain roaming networks that data is not allowed in one PRL, but is in another? Or even that certain bands/channels change that may or may not open up EVDO?

/me edits

Ack, huge pic. Sorry. Click through to see it.
  7.    #487  
    Both the PRL update and profile work fine for me as well. Everything about this phone is very easy. Plus its been done on either xda or ppcgeeks.

I can't wait until they get the video quality of the Xperia to work on the Touch Pro. The guy has it running on his but is working out the bugs before releasing it. The aftermarket is plentiful. I did the 7.2MP panaramic camera hack last night. It's pretty much endless. Like darnell I cannot keep up with the traffic. I made a thread over the weekend then checked it 2 hours later and it was 5 pages back.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I made a thread over the weekend then checked it 2 hours later and it was 5 pages back.
    And you got an accurate answer very quickly . While the herd moved on ahead with other matters.
    In my experience keeping PRL up to date as a matter of course can mean a lot if you travel.

Where we vacation we had huge problems on our new phones that we did not have in the past. very poor evdo specifically.

When I called Sprint at the end of the vacation they told me everyone in that area of that state had been pushed an update, but not people nationally.

Is the PRL udate bug a scandal? no. Can you go two years without doing and in some cases have no noticeable problems? yes.

Are you better off with the most current PRL and is it an established system that should be easy for most phones? yes.

Is it annoying for the user to get one pushed, have the *2 system tell you the next three times you need it again, and then have tech support people tell you they show you as updated when you are not? yes.
  10.    #490  
    All 3 of my 800's could not be updated. Even took my last one to a store, no dice. I did my Touch Pro PRL update last week laying on the couch by pressing one button. Took a few seconds and it was done. I travel a lot for business and need the latest.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Both the PRL update and profile work fine for me as well. Everything about this phone is very easy. Plus its been done on either xda or ppcgeeks.

I can't wait until they get the video quality of the Xperia to work on the Touch Pro. The guy has it running on his but is working out the bugs before releasing it. The aftermarket is plentiful. I did the 7.2MP panaramic camera hack last night. It's pretty much endless. Like darnell I cannot keep up with the traffic. I made a thread over the weekend then checked it 2 hours later and it was 5 pages back.
    That sounds amazing. Can we upgrade our 800w cameras using the same technique?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    That sounds amazing. Can we upgrade our 800w cameras using the same technique?
    Cool hack.

You'd have to change the Camera to use HTC's software, the 800w doesn't appear to use it.

Maybe possible on the Treo Pro, I'm not sure if it's using HTC's full camera software or not (I don't believe it is).
  13.    #493  
    Ebay is correct. You wil notice the hack is HKLM/HTC/Camera, etc. Plus the Touch Pro comes with a Panaramic option where as the 800 and Treo Pro does not.

Here is the link for it.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=467616

Just and example of the support.
    Here is the tweaks and registry hacks at ppcgeeks. There is also one at XDA. I am telling you guys the HTC support is endless.
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

Last night on my Touch Pro, I loaded up SKTools and decided to try something I'd usually never want to attempt with the 800w. Run a backup while still on the USB cable. Because on the 800w, any soft reset while on the USB cable will likely freeze at the "Palm" screen. The Touch Pro does not come with any backup program, but I already have an SKTools license.

And personally, my 800w(s) if I did not get a freeze while resetting on USB (although most times it would freeze), my PC would often not reconnect with the device. So I'd have to pull the MicroUSB plug from the 800w and put it back in. Another reason for me not to try backups while connected to USB.

So I ran a backup last night with SKTools and the Touch Pro connected to the PC via USB. It was beautiful. The process did its soft resets and backup, never did the device freeze. And after every soft reset when the device came back on my PC recognized it and the ActiveSync connection was quickly reestablished.

I've now got automated daily backups running and the one that ran early this AM while the Touch Pro was on USB went flawlessly.

This simple thing I could never do with my 800w. And I keep my device on the USB overnight. Now I can run automated nightly backups while asleep and know it's very likely all will be fine in the morning.
    Now I'm testing music playback. For BT audio, the 800w and Touch Pro are equal.

But the Touch Pro has the HTC Connector, that allows wired 3.5mm headset access. I used my Sennheiser headphones first. Bottom line, it trumps all BT audio without a doubt. Excellent quality and the best volume. Better than BT in both audio quality and volume. (And that's even after I upped the A2DP settings up to 58.)

The Touch Pro also comes with some HTC MiniUSB headphones. They're OK, but not on par with anything like the Sennheiser headphones. The HTC MiniUSB headphones and Palm MicroUSB headphones are equals in audio quality. But the Touch Pro can achieve higher wired headset audio volume than the 800w. And the Touch Pro wired volume can go well beyond anything done with BT audio on either device.

I did my BT audio testing with the JabraBT 3030 and the Sennheiser headphones.

I don't have an IPhone, but I'd be willing to put my Touch Pro up against anything any IPhone can do. Especially after I get KinomaPlay loaded up! At the moment, I'm using the the built in music player in Touch Flo 3D, it's branded name is "Sprint Music". It is as good as KinomaPlay for music that is on a storage card, but I've got to get KinomaPlay loaded up, so I can do Internet streaming.
    Just pulled the headphone jack so audio would play from the Touch Pro's built in speaker. It's crap. I mean it's audible, but the quality is garbage comparatively speaking when compared to the 800w's speaker. The 800w speaker is definitely superior for music playback. The 800w's speaker is superior in terms of quality and volume when it comes to music playback. The Touch Pro has a small pin hole sized speaker, it simply can't match that big speaker on the back of the 800w when it comes to playing music.
  17.    #497  
    Speaker placement is the reason obviously. You can put the TP down in every position and the ring, MP3, etc. will be the same audio level. Put an 800 down on its back and you will get a muffled sound. I mentioned this back on page 1.

D, try AudioBoost with the headphones.

Also you can rename your TFL3D tabs to whatever you want. There are instructions in the PPCGeeks and XDA hacks and tweaks thread. I also use the Music tab to play music right from the interface because it is simple.

Sprint loves Palm. In fact, I bet Sprint will launch Nova with them and will be the first.
    Well you nailed that one .
    Speaker placement is the reason obviously. You can put the TP down in every position and the ring, MP3, etc. will be the same audio level. Put an 800 down on its back and you will get a muffled sound. I mentioned this back on page 1.

D, try AudioBoost with the headphones.

Also you can rename your TFL3D tabs to whatever you want. There are instructions in the PPCGeeks and XDA hacks and tweaks thread. I also use the Music tab to play music right from the interface because it is simple.
    I understand the reason they did it, but still it gives the 800w's speaker an advantage when it comes to playing music. I personally use headphones or I'm relaying the audio to a car stereo, but if anyone's really into playing music via the device speaker it's something to consider.

The AudioBoost is nice, but even without it the device plays music well. All I mentioned earlier was without even turning AudioBoost on. The AudioBoost does add a little more "kick" to it and the options for various styles are nice.

Have you tried the WorldCard Mobile business card reader yet? Pretty nice. I've had it import a card and it got most of the details correct. (And I only took one shot of the card, I guess I could have tried getting the card into "perfect" lighting and such, but I tried it with the card on my desk since that's how I'll normally use it.) Way easier than having to do it all manually.
  20.    #500  
    I have no idea what the WorldCard Mobile Business Card even is. So no, never used it.

I have not used headphones with the TP yet. I do have the Sirius XM program (C-ApiSRO) so I can listen to Howard Stern all day when I work. The dingy speaker is actually fantastic for talk shows.

Have you done any hacks?