Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    May I ask,
    What are we concerned about here,
    Whether the 850 will have an 'e' on it or not?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    May I ask,
    It's not so much a "concern" as to a "why" it's there.

e is not a standard designation for a CDMA WM Treo. This makes the possibility that it's a spoof/fake much more likely.

It's like looking at a blurry camera phone pic of a phone and noticing that there's an odd spot in the picture. That doesn't prove it's photoshopped, but does increase the likelyhood of it being so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I neither said nor implied it. You have said that I implied it (several times now), but that doesn't mean I did.
    Quit putting words into my mouth.
    You didnt even get the joke. If you are continually mis characterizing peoples opinions and putting words in their mouth peopel will react when they are repeating what treocentral experts say. I repeated the phrase "blindly" because you seem obsessed with stating that people are "blindly" making comments on the upcoming Treo rumors when they are doing what this site's owners and editors are doing.

All I am doing is pointing out that in your insults to other users (the latest is "sesame street" crack) most of whom know more than you, you are also insulting the treocentral editors!

Sprint Treo Pro: Yeah, It's Probably Real
    by Malatesta
    Treo Pro Coming to Sprint After All
    8 by Dieter Bohn
    Treo Pro Coming to Sprint? Sure Looks That Way!
    By Jennifer Chappell

We all take those screaming headlines from treocentral with a grain of salt. But you claim people are following this item, take seriously as scenario with a good possibility, by all the tech and mobility sites, are blind?

You yourself have posted rumors sourced to a single store technician, who disappeared and never repeated this assertion.

Ask yourself this: how ELSE is Palm supposed to sell the Treo Pro, if it doesnt get a carrier behind it!

You are obsessed witht eh "e" ask yourself the converse -- WHAT is your evidence for none carrier supported Palm smartphones? How many smartphones have they carried for six months with no carrier support? Do you think they are going to let the Treo Pro just die?
    hehe...well Dieter also swore the Treo Pro would hit AT&T by Christmas, lol He also said that in the podcast. Perhaps Palm was talking about Sprint the whole time? Dunno.

And true, Dieter does believe his source on the Treo Pro for Sprint. I have no sources on it, so I'm ambivalent.

Bottom line: we need something official soon. Lets just hold off a few days and see what comes of it, no? It's like arguing when the moon will be full again--lets just wait and see, lol.

Edit: If Palm was talking about Sprint in that article above and not AT&T, that's very interesting. That means that only 6-7 weeks after the 800w was released has Palm and Sprint inked a deal for the Treo Pro. That hardly smells of "flop" but rather strategic, long term planning.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/06/2009 at 07:29 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...clip...
    Lets just hold off a few days and see what comes of it, no? It's like arguing when the moon will be full again--lets just wait and see, lol.
    What fun is in that?

Seriously,

<edit> actually, determining the next full moon is a little more predictable.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/06/2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: <edit> actually, determining the next full moon is a little more predictable.
    Just call me Berd.
    lol

All I know is Thursday will be very exciting. I'm very psyched (and nervous) for Palm. And they have to at least mention, somewhere, the Sprint Treo Pro on that day to maximize coverage--I mean it's all good news, why hide it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    hehe...well Dieter also swore the Treo Pro would hit AT&T by Christmas, lol He also said that in the podcast. Perhaps Palm was talking about Sprint the whole time? Dunno.

And true, Dieter does believe his source on the Treo Pro for Sprint. I have no sources on it, so I'm ambivalent.

Bottom line: we need something official soon. Lets just hold off a few days and see what comes of it, no? It's like arguing when the moon will be full again--lets just wait and see, lol.

Edit: If Palm was talking about Sprint in that article above and not AT&T, that's very interesting. That means that only 6-7 weeks after the 800w was released has Palm and Sprint inked a deal for the Treo Pro. That hardly smells of "flop" but rather strategic, long term planning.
    Malatesta, I agree almost entirely part with what you are saying and entirely with the spirit and way you put it.

However I don't interpret the article in your last graph as having much to do with Sprint (althoug it is possible). I do find it plausible, in fact highly likely that before, during and after the Treo Pro GSM rollout Palm was talking to ATT. Palm and ATT could have come to an agreement for ATT to certify the device, as opposed to subsidize and promote it. The reference in the q conf call could have been that easily as well.

I think "flop" is strong. Mainly the thing is a victim of events that are very complex. It is a feature rich device with a lot going for it. I think it was poorly tested and some things that you or treo central mentioned came up in beta (battery life) should have been addressed. I think Palm and all the makers, in making $500 mass marketed devices ought to understand people are going to want promised functions as well as less compromises on things like voice quality.

And whether you consider the Treo Pro a tiny bit better, a good deal better or much better, the fact remains it was out there in GSM just weeks after the 800w and that means Palm, not the users, inexorably opened the BIG question of: where the heck was the latest and best treo for the company and user base that had been supporting Palm and been its bread and butter all this time?
    Well the guys at the Sprint store tonight were all giddy, talking about the Treo Pro coming and they were calling it "the 850".
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well the guys at the Sprint store tonight were all giddy, talking about the Treo Pro coming and they were calling it "the 850".
    Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    May I ask,
    Well some think that a change in names means it won't exist.

I guess that means we should have known there would be no GSM Treo Pro and how all the rumors about the GSM Treo Pro were false

To paraphrase a sarcastic jibe made:
    "Lets see here:"

Pro

"/me starts humming "One of these things is different from the other" "
    Quote Originally Posted by axelrod_eric View Post
    What do you have?
    What DONT i have. Screen protectors, Car charger, Extra home charger, Extra 1100mah battery. 2400mah extended battery. Leather case + car mount (may still be able to use these last two). 3 extra styluses, 2 extra sync cables

Not to mention that I bought SPB Mobie Shell. From the looks of touchflo 3d, i dont think I will be needing it. I just hope to god that the touch accessories are not as expensive.
  12.    #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennj4 View Post
    What DONT i have. Screen protectors, Car charger, Extra home charger, Extra 1100mah battery. 2400mah extended battery. Leather case + car mount (may still be able to use these last two). 3 extra styluses, 2 extra sync cables

Not to mention that I bought SPB Mobie Shell. From the looks of touchflo 3d, i dont think I will be needing it. I just hope to god that the touch accessories are not as expensive.
    Touch Pro uses mini-USB which is common with most PDA's. The Treo 800 is the only Sprint device which is micro-USB which it total crap. I have not even used my Touch Pro wall charger and USB cable (still in plastic) since I've owned many mini-USB devices. The accessories are not very expensive at all.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Touch Pro uses mini-USB which is common with most PDA's. The Treo 800 is the only Sprint device which is micro-USB which it total crap.
    Palms decision to leave off the the audio and go with proprietary and non conforming audio scheme was penny pinching and stupid. It is a serious deficiency for people expecting g to use quality audio playback, which is not a niche use but a feature increasingly hawked on smarthandsets.

But the selection of micro usb for power was not mistake.

Micro usb for powering these devices is the agreed convention, like it or not. If Palm had gone with mini usb people more people would be saying: why are thy ignoring the convention their industry agreed to?
    Regarding the audio jack access concern. (Given this is the 800w vs. Touch Pro thread.) The Sprint HTC Touch Pro comes with the HTC Connector in the box. Meaning an adapter to power the Touch Pro, sync, listen to audio via a 3.5mm jack and 2.5mm access comes with the device. Even when Palm has made nearly similar adapters, they sold them separately instead of including them with the device. (I say nearly similar, because the HTC Connector has more jacks than Palm has ever placed on an adapter.)
  15.    #475  
    Good point D. Let's refresh since it was 20 pages ago. Palm 800 retail price is $20 more than the Touch Pro. HTC also add's extra's in the box like mentioned.

Touch Pro List of Extra's:

1. HTC Holster
    2. 2G Memory Card
    3. Screen Protector
    4. (1) Extra Stylus (two total) (real Strong Magnetic stylus)
    5. Audio Adapter

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Good point D. Let's refresh since it was 20 pages ago. Palm 800 retail price is $20 more than the Touch Pro. HTC also add's extra's in the box like mentioned.

Touch Pro List of Extra's:

1. HTC Holster
    2. 2G Memory Card
    3. Screen Protector
    5. Audio Adapter
    Well it's a 1GB card .

I'm glad it comes with a screen protector, but I'm getting InvisibleShield. The screen protector it comes with is not something to use for very long.

And it's not just and "audio adapter". It's got connections for audio (2.5mm and 3.5mm), for charge/sync and for HTC's MiniUSB headphones. You forgot to mention HTC includes a set of MiniUSB headphones .

And you never mentioned the way the HTC power adapter lights up with the HTC logo . I mean the way it comes on when the adapter is hooked to power looks neat.

(And it comes with a sync cable, documentation and CD . The sync cable doubles as the cable for the power adapter.)
    Good point D. Let's refresh since it was 20 pages ago. Palm 800 retail price is $20 more than the Touch Pro.
    ...but didn't we just finishing discussing how 800ws actually sell for waaay cheaper than Touch Pros? You can't argue that the 800w is both more expensive and way cheaper than a Touch Pro! Good lord. lol

I mean, you can buy and 800w NIB on eBay for like $225, so you're saving $200 which you can buy some accessories, no? Shoot for $200 you're looking at a nice A2DP headset.

18.    #478  
    Yes you are correct. The upswing is still high on the Pro and 800 is in a major downswing. If they were replacing the Touch Pro in a few months you would watch prices fall.

When I bought my 800 it was $299.
    When I bought my TP is was $199.
    Then I got this as extra for free:
    1. HTC Holster
    2. 2G Memory Card
    3. Screen Protector
    5. Audio Adapter

For those who are paying $450+ like (cough, Mal does, j/k) then no these are bad deals. Many of us who know how to wheel and deal then we usually make out.

I feel the talk about the actual retail price versus Ebay prices are two separate discussions, that complement each other. Ebay reflects true market value, while retail prices from Sprint reflect what Palm and retailers like Sprint are pushing. To me, discussion about both have their place. Palm and Sprint are retailing the 800w for higher than the Touch Pro before discounts, while Palm offers less in return. Certainly better to get an 800w off Ebay if that's what someone wants, they can get 2 for the price Sprint sells 1 for. That reflects the true open market value of the 800w is low, while Palm is still asking a high price for the device.
    Well since someone told me to keep talking about my Touch Pro experiences, I'll say that seeing talk about the 800w PRL update issues is saddening. I mean it's great Ebag333 has found a hack to help people manually update their PRL on the 800w, but sad 800w owners have to go through such trouble. The Sprint HTC Touch Pro out of the box has "Update PRL" and "Update Profile" options in the device settings.