Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 724
  1. #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint is selling out of the Touch Pro, but they put the Samsung Rant in their TV ads ...
    Very different things. I bet you the Rant is outselling the Touch Pro by (being very conservative here) 5:1 (of course we have no numbers, lol)

    The reason for the Touch Pro "selling out" is not due solely to popularity, it's simply supply (or lack thereof)

    HTC is making that phone at full capacity for Sprint, Verizon and AT&T just in the U.S. Plus unlocked GSM and locked GSM overseas. Sony has the same problem with the X1. This was one of the reasons for the delay of the T Pro in the first place--they could not get capacity up.

    If you call around your Sprint stores, they'll tell you they are only getting 2-3 in per shipment-so there is always a shortage, which of course inflates price (reselling).

    That's very different from actually "selling out" when you have ample supply to meet demand.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/05/2009 at 01:47 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #422  
    VRGT, you're right, Sprint has the lamest TV promotions out there. Pushing the weakest of their lot, while their competitors have lines out the doors for the more advanced and even pricier devices promoted in their ads.
  3. #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Regarding things Sprint is currently selling and actively promoting, I must say I'm sick of the commercials promoting the lame Samsung Rant. Sure people can get it for $49, but that's not even mentioned in detail in the TV ads and I don't think the Rant is the best TV show pony for Sprint. Because their competition Verzion is promoting Blackberries in their TV ads. Sprint needs to more actively promote some kind of smart phone to better compete.

    Every Sunday when watching the football games on TV, I see Sprint's tired B&W ad with the lame Samsung Rant, then Verizon's full color ads with Blackberries. We know people are lining up long and hard for those BBs, but I doubt that is the case for the Samsung Rant. If all I saw were the TV ads, I'd be a Verizon customer .

    Sprint is selling out of the Touch Pro, but they put the Samsung Rant in their TV ads ...

    I know they promote some smart phones in mail out fliers, but their TV ads are the big money play. They need to push something better in the TV ads, plus customers are buying up devices better than the Rant. Seems to work for Sprint's competition.
    Sprint obviously doesn't have to heavily market the Touch Pro because it's been selling out since before it even launched. Best Buy couldn't keep them in stock either. Advertising it even more now would only make the shortages worse. They're right not to advertise the 800w since they'll be forced to offer free upgrades to the Touch Pro or Treo Pro.
  4. #424  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    They're right not to advertise the 800w since they'll be forced to offer free upgrades to the Touch Pro or Treo Pro.
    Given the in my opinion falsely advertised GPS capabilities, I would not advise them to push the 800w till they at least change their spec sheet. (And they've heard me tell them as much more than once directly in my conversations with them.) That is, if they were not already replacing it with the Treo Pro and I think they're making a smart move to replace the 800w ASAP. Every day they sell the 800w with incorrect specs is a day of more open liability for them. They should not order another 800w and I say they're even taking a risk selling what they have in stock with still inaccurate specs.

    The 800w was also in my opinion falsely advertised to run NFL Mobile Live, Sprint later removed that statement from the specs when they could not get NFL Mobile Live running on the 800w. And I know some do have the app from the Touch running on their 800ws, but even after an RTN reset and entering my account details by hand, the Touch NFL Mobile Live application acts buggy on my 800w. Which is likely why Sprint does not officially offer the application for the 800w, it probably failed their testing.
  5. #425  
    It seems Sprint really drives to push the cheapest thing they have that "looks" similar to superior devices.

    Like their promotions to counter the IPhone. Instead of now pressing the Touch Diamond hard, they instead heavily promote the Samsung Instinct.

    I guess if Sprint promoted the HTC Touch Pro very heavily, Verizon could say "we've got that too" although Sprint could prove theirs is better. But AT&T could say they've got the Fuse and it has working FM radio, to trump Sprint on features, although Sprint could say they fixed some issues in their version.

    Oh well, I hope Sprint can at least keep things running, best deal in town .
  6. #426  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I guess if Sprint promoted the HTC Touch Pro very heavily.
    Keep in mind that Sprint doesn't promote their smartphones as much because it's a relatively small percentage of their users that use them.

    I think it was around 10% is the estimate I've seen for smartphone penetration, and a very large chunk of that will be the cheaper less expensive smartphones (such as the Centro). Outside of the people who want a smartphone-on-a-budget, you have the majority of peoples using blackberries for business purposes.

    This means that you might only have (and this is just a pure guess, though the numbers shouldn't be *THAT* far off) just a few percent of Sprint's total subscribers using non-business-purpose-blackberry, non-smartphone-on-a-budget phones.

    While those phones can be very lucrative to sell (I have no doubt that Sprint makes some money on many of their more expensive smartphones), Sprint (and other carriers) don't care as much about the phone as they do the contract.

    To the 90% of users who don't use a smartphone, the Touch Pro (as awesome a phone as it is) is too big, too difficult to use, etc etc etc. The Instinct is sexy, smaller, iPhone-like, and easy to use. That doesn't even begin to compare the price, and that effect on people.
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    VRGT, you're right, Sprint has the lamest TV promotions out there. Pushing the weakest of their lot, while their competitors have lines out the doors for the more advanced and even pricier devices promoted in their ads.
    Good call D. Has Sprint ever had a line out the door at any store? I went to an Apple store a few days ago and was blown away by how many people were in there. It is hard to believe T-Mobile a much smaller company had lines at stores when the G1 arrived.

    What is worse about Sprint is the hush hush factor on upcoming devices. We know the Treo Pro is coming but most of the public does not. Surprise! when it mysteriously shows up on the website.

    We also have zero high speed Rev. A BlackBerry devices when everybody else has them. Curve has been out for sometime now and that is the last BB release. So lame.

    Dan needs to get his face off the commercials (not helping) and show us what is coming soon.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8. #428  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

    Dan needs to get his face off the commercials...
    Oh that is so true.

    While I don't want the new BBs being promoted, I really LIKE the commercials Sprint's competitors make more. When Sprint's commercials come on, it's time to go make a sandwich.

    Sprint is in real need of more contract sign-ups.

    If Dan wants to be on commercials, he needs to be saying something that is a defining statement, sort of like Lee Iacocca's "If you can find a better car, buy it" line. Dan could say, "if you think you can get a better deal on voice, TV, GPS and Internet service, go sign up."
  9. #429  
    I work for a decent size multi campus college and 6 months ago we upgraded about ten older treo phones to 800w phones. We have all been having the same problems with them (crashes, device.exe errors, wont power on, missed calls, dropped calls). I gathered up as much evidence as possible from forums and tech sites about others having the same problems. I spoke to our sprint rep today and told him that our most senior tech staff are slacking at their jobs because they do not know the are missing something or didnt get that message because they had not realized the phone crashed in their pocket.

    The sprint rep did not try to hide the fact that the phones were total lemons. they have a huge stockpile of returns. He told me the phone was being discontinued in the next few weeks. He offered to replace all of the 800w's with HTC Touch Pro as a straight swap, even though it has been 6 months. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are a large account but it confirms the touch pro on sprint and that the 800w is/was a flaming piece of garbage and is going end of life. It is a shame too. It is really a nice device when it works well. It is snappy, has good features. I am not looking forward to the brickyness of the touch pro, but it has some nice looking features.

    I just wish i had not spent over $100 on accessories for the 800w. Anyone need some accessories for the 800w? all item must go!
  10. #430  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Your right. I don't see any Verizon people coming out and saying that they aren't carry the 800w, so I guess we should still expect a Verizon 800w.

    (Especially since there was far more evidence for a Verizon 800w than a Sprint Treo Pro.)
    What a strange statement. You seem not to understand that on Sprint users there are a number of long identified Sprint people, including senior techs who have said it is coming. These are the same people who have correctly denied or corrected posts on other handset date speculation.

    What does that have to do with Verizon? there are no leaked Verizon docs, there are leaked Sprint docs on the pro.
  11. #431  
    Sprint promotes and advertised smartphones much more than dumbphones compared to extant dumb/smart market share because of the long tail of revenue, not because of the profit per phone. It is likely they make less money on smartphone sales, especially after post sale support costs, but much much more money on smartphone use which drives people up into data plans.
  12. #432  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennj4 View Post
    I work for a decent size multi campus college and 6 months ago we upgraded about ten older treo phones to 800w phones. We have all been having the same problems with them (crashes, device.exe errors, wont power on, missed calls, dropped calls). I gathered up as much evidence as possible from forums and tech sites about others having the same problems. I spoke to our sprint rep today and told him that our most senior tech staff are slacking at their jobs because they do not know the are missing something or didnt get that message because they had not realized the phone crashed in their pocket.

    The sprint rep did not try to hide the fact that the phones were total lemons. they have a huge stockpile of returns. He told me the phone was being discontinued in the next few weeks. He offered to replace all of the 800w's with HTC Touch Pro as a straight swap, even though it has been 6 months. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are a large account but it confirms the touch pro on sprint and that the 800w is/was a flaming piece of garbage and is going end of life. It is a shame too. It is really a nice device when it works well. It is snappy, has good features. I am not looking forward to the brickyness of the touch pro, but it has some nice looking features.

    I just wish i had not spent over $100 on accessories for the 800w. Anyone need some accessories for the 800w? all item must go!
    You're not alone. Unfortunately used 800w's barely sell for anything these days.

    Why not hold off anther two weeks until the Treo Pro is released and then see who prefers the Treo Pro and who prefers the Touch Pro? Another option is the new Nova smartphone from Palm that should debut at CES this week.
  13. #433  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    What does that have to do with Verizon? there are no leaked Verizon docs, there are leaked Sprint docs on the pro.
    I think he's referring to this leaked doc (see below). And the device was actually spotted in-testing on Verizon by someone here on an airplane (it was one of the first hands-on reports). The Verizon thing was strange because of the sheet below, another roadmap leak from PhoneArena and some hands on reports, yet it just...disappeared. Same with the Palm Wanda...just poof. No word from Verizon, Vodafone or Palm, they were just ended.

    I think the point being is until we actually get some more "official" info from...well anyone, it's always okay to be skeptical.

    Palm has had phones canceled on them (Verizon) and has canceled some of their own (Elevation Partners), so anything is possible. I can see Palm downplaying it a bit with "Nova" around, but it is still very strange that a device that has been in testing for ~2 months (and 19 days left to release) has had no leaks from anyone and no one has even spotted it in the wild.

    I also don't think it's necessarily a 800w inventory issue. They knew about this roll out months ago and would have cut back stock to appropriately prepare. I suppose Thursday will be the big day if there were to be one, so we should know by then I would imagine.

    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/05/2009 at 09:29 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #434  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennj4 View Post
    Anyone need some accessories for the 800w? all item must go!
    What do you have?
  15. #435  
    Can we get back to talking about how bad the Touch Pro Sucks

    Man, I spent a painful hour trying to install a couple of apps on my friends Alltel Touch Pro. Yuck, that thing is not for me. Can you say slow and painful? Why do you have to bang on the touch screen to make any input?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  16. #436  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Can we get back to talking about how bad the Touch Pro Sucks
    lol

    It has it's place, it's just not for everyone. It has it's pros and cons.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Can we get back to talking about how bad the Touch Pro Sucks

    Man, I spent a painful hour trying to install a couple of apps on my friends Alltel Touch Pro. Yuck, that thing is not for me. Can you say slow and painful? Why do you have to bang on the touch screen to make any input?
    The sensativity level is adjustable if need be (Shaps Config. Tool or Registry Value Hack). I find mine to be way sensative. I need to turn mine down.

    The support for the Touch Pro is so strong anything you request is either done or can be done easily I might add. Your Treo 800 Support=Ebag.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  18. #438  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think he's referring to this leaked doc (see below).

    Yup, that's one of many docs that people pointed to for months saying "Hey look! We're getting a Verizon 800w!"

    If the only two circumstances where a phone will not show up is the carrier states that it won't, or someone proves the documents to be photoshopped, then we should still be expecting a Verizon 800w.

    Since none of us are, then I suppose there's a third option where the carrier may choose not to carry a phone, and not officially announce it.



    There was tons of info on the Verizon 800w, including people seeing beta test units, leaked docs (as Mal posted above), seeing it in presentation docs, and even "official" (unofficial) release dates.

    You can find tons of info about it on WMExperts, and of course searching Google will net even more.

    If we go by the quantity and quality of the leaked docs and spotted units, then the Verizon 800w was as good as it got (better even than the Sprint 800w). The Treo Pro has far less out there on it, and some of the stuff that is out there is odd. (Such as the DSL report that showed the 850e? Seriously? E? E is next to W. Typo on Palm's part, or a spoofed/fake sighting? Either is possible, and we'll probably never know.)

    Personally I think we're going to see a Sprint Treo Pro, but I'm definitely reserving the right to be skeptical, just like I was before the 800w. Until it's on the site being sold, it can change.
  19. #439  
    I wonder if Verizon killed the 800w after finding so many bugs in it? Sprint looks like they either got suckered into offering it or their beta testers did their normal, subpar job of testing.
  20. #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I wonder if Verizon killed the 800w after finding so many bugs in it? Sprint looks like they either got suckered into offering it or their beta testers did their normal, subpar job of testing.
    Verizon had the 800w for longer than Sprint, by all indications. Additionally carries do their own testing and make their own decisions (look at the 700w where Sprint rejected it on their own, had nothing to do with Verizon or their decision to carry it).

Posting Permissions