Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Well you figure the 1150 on the G1 would be acceptable since its not running a hog like WM6 or 6.1. BlackBerry Curve gets sick battery life with a 1150 just because it's running on its own OS. I will agree that GSM version devices get better battery life than CDMA. My buddy's FUZE gets much better battery life than my Pro. His Treo Pro gets better battery life than his FUZE (BTW, he still hasn't got it back from Palm's repair center because of the cracked housing, 22 days now, what service Palm has). So when the 1500mAH does make it onto the CDMA version on paper it will be a 30% increase but not actual. I don't think anyone is declaring the Treo Pro will be a winner but like mentioned Palm needs something good to finally happen to them. Palm has one WM device and a dying POS leaves them clinging onto a very small pie. They need a winner.
    They sure do need a winner. After junking the 800w so quickly, it sure appears that both Palm and Sprint believe the Treo Pro to be the winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Even if the battery is the same 1500 mAH, that doesn't guarantee the battery life will be the same or similar. You still have to keep in mind that CDMA generally consume more power than GSM devices. Does this mean that the CDMA version is going to have much less or more battery life? We don't know, it's all speculation right now.
    CDMA does sometimes draw more power but I think it depends on the conditions and signal strength. In Europe with GSM so dense you are very close and phones last very long but in the US the same GSM phones last less time in my experience.

More to the point since these are Smart devices that do so much more the continual standby and some talk time are a marginal part of the battery life. Our CDMA dumbphone, with a smaller batter goes a week or so fulltime standby with some talking. My 800w does less then a day with a larger battery. This means 1/10 or less of the battery is being used for phone demands and 9/10s or more is being used for other demands most of which are presumably equal between the 800w and Treo aPro (screen, speakerphone, wifi, audio, mp3 playback) and some of which are presumably even more energy efficient on the Pro simply due to newness (exceptional being processor).

Lets not forget that some of the comparisons are being down without "tweaks". The 800w tweak to make sure you don't miss calls on CDMA by increasing polling frequency is sure to have some battery cost.

In any case I will be finding out soon as Sprint will be letting me try out two of their Treo Pros, (based on 800w automomous GPS claim) whenever the brightpoint release occurs. I intend to benchmark quite a number of times between the two. At this point we don't even know the failure of standalone GPS on the 800w won't repeat on a CDMA of the Treo Pro.
    I played with the store model of the TP and was so frustrated with the lag
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    I played with the store model of the TP and was so frustrated with the lag
    The Sprint HTC Touch Pro uses features in its stock configuration, that are either not on the 800w or not turned on. When properly configured, the HTC Touch Pro with its faster processor performs well.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Sprint HTC Touch Pro uses features in its stock configuration, that are either not on the 800w or not turned on. When properly configured, the HTC Touch Pro with its faster processor performs well.
    It sure does. The Touch Pro and Diamond are both faster than the 800w when running similar programs in the background.

I can't believe that the Touch Pro is so expensive but used 800w's are selling for $150 now and brand new ones are $225 including shipping and no contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post

I can't believe that the Touch Pro is so expensive but used 800w's are selling for $150 now and brand new ones are $225 including shipping and no contract.
    Could it be because the Touch Pros keep selling out? While sellers such as Sprint have never had a sell out of the 800w?

This is why the Touch Pro will hold value much longer than the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    They sure do need a winner. After junking the 800w so quickly, it sure appears that both Palm and Sprint believe the Treo Pro to be the winner.
    The Treo Pro is awesome!
    and this looks awesome too:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175174

As far as the 800w, is there anything official from palm stating that the 800w is over.
    I could see where some might still prefer the 800 over the Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    As far as the 800w, is there anything official from palm stating that the 800w is over.
    No. There's rumors and leaked docs that Sprint is carrying the Pro (and we all know how those are not always accurate), but that's it.

Additionally Sprint is still carrying the 800w for the full price, so it doesn't appear that they're ready to dump their existing stock anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Sprint is the only carrier of the 800w and Sprint is replacing the 800w with the Treo Pro. See the source of the story and leaked document and decide for yourself what you make of it.

Palm might still carry it, they've always sold devices for a while after carriers ended sales.

Sprint will probably sell out their stock and not order any more. Some say that at times Sprint store salespeople have stirred customers away from the 800w.
    One can say that about any phone though.

Sprint store folks are rarely knowledgeable about the phones they carry. They keep insisting that the Touch Pro is the Treo Pro.....
    Somewhat rhetorical...

Why are Palm/Sprint so hush-hush about the Treo Pro? I mean we are 3 weeks from launch and not one leaked pic (official or blurry), no specs, no Sprint ads/info sheets, no FCC, no training manuals....zilch.

I have never seen a WM device launch on Sprint with so little fan fare or build up before--it's like it doesn't even exist.

If Palm/Sprint are emabarrased by the 800w and proud of the Treo Pro, you'd be hard pressed to see that in action at this point. I wonder if they'll mention it at CES this week or if they're keeping that "Nova only"?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see much hype before the launch of the Sprint HTC Touch Pro.

If Sprint is really into the Treo Pro, it may show in promotions after its release, as they push the HTC Touch Pro pretty strongly now.

If Sprint does not push the Palm Treo Pro much after release, that might mean Sprint is not fond of Palm at all.
    Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see much hype before the launch of the Sprint HTC Touch Pro.
    We had leaked photos of the Sprint Touch Pro at least a month or two pre-launch, the manual was leaked and I wrote a whole article about someone who worked at an HTC center here in the U.S. who spoke about the Diamond, Pro and bugs. We also had testers talking at ppcgeeks plus the specs on the device for quite some time. There wasn't anything we didn't know about the Touch Pro before release...lol.
    If Sprint does not push the Palm Treo Pro much after release, that might mean Sprint is not fond of Palm at all.
    Sprint loves Palm. In fact, I bet Sprint will launch Nova with them and will be the first.

Regardless, this is just weird with the Treo Pro--like I said we usually have a blurry cam pic and a spec sheet by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Somewhat rhetorical...

Why are Palm/Sprint so hush-hush about the Treo Pro? I mean we are 3 weeks from launch and not one leaked pic (official or blurry), no specs, no Sprint ads/info sheets, no FCC, no training manuals....zilch.

I have never seen a WM device launch on Sprint with so little fan fare or build up before--it's like it doesn't even exist.

If Palm/Sprint are emabarrased by the 800w and proud of the Treo Pro, you'd be hard pressed to see that in action at this point. I wonder if they'll mention it at CES this week or if they're keeping that "Nova only"?
    I image its placement, and what they will do about the 800w are still being worked out. It is obviously complicated by the 800w and none of us know how many 800w they have left. Side by side in stores it is going wicked difficult to get rid of the 800w if the price point is the same.

On promotion of the Treo Pro, it already has across the board excellent reviews. That kind of press is better than any paid media. Also carrier advertising for devices is probably supplemented by subsidizes from makers. Perhaps Palm's cutbacks included its WM advertising subsidies? We know Palm marketing team has to be spending 24 hour days stuffing NOVA SWAG bags for CES for the last few weeks.

On the FCC, if I recall the 800w showed up two days after I picked one up at the store. Maybe I am wrong, but were there FCC leaks before mid July on the 800w? I gather the FCC is alot tighter than it used to be on both official public publication dates and on url exploits.

On the leaked Sprint internal documents. In prior cases when they are faked you have had Sprint people come out and say they are fake or people poin to photoshop indicators. I don't see any Sprint employees saying this, they seem to be saying that a Pink instinct (cant wait ) and Treo Pro are slated.

As far as the language from Sprint on "replacement for the 800w" -- who knows? I tend to give this credence from upper techs at Sprint. Again how they play this publically probably depends on stock on hand. They are certainly not going use the word replacement officially or publicize an EOL if they have a good deal of stock on hand.
    Correct. Pretty much zero promotion. Chris who was working for contractor did relate some of the last minute rom issues making a long, but was unusual for any device, and not part of any "hype."
    Forgetting any "official" hype by Sprint, which is not what I was totally referring to (they never really hype anything), it's still odd that 3 weeks from release we don't know any specs on it, no leaked photos from testers and no info from people who have seen it...

Not saying this is fake or a hoax either...I've just never seen such tight-lips for what is not really a top tier device. There are always leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On the leaked Sprint internal documents. In prior cases when they are faked you have had Sprint people come out and say they are fake or people poin to photoshop indicators. I don't see any Sprint employees saying this, they seem to be saying that a Pink instinct (cant wait ) and Treo Pro are slated.
    Your right. I don't see any Verizon people coming out and saying that they aren't carry the 800w, so I guess we should still expect a Verizon 800w.

(Especially since there was far more evidence for a Verizon 800w than a Sprint Treo Pro.)
    I didn't know the habits of Sprint employees and Verizon employees were supposed to mirror each other .
    Regarding things Sprint is currently selling and actively promoting, I must say I'm sick of the commercials promoting the lame Samsung Rant. Sure people can get it for $49, but that's not even mentioned in detail in the TV ads and I don't think the Rant is the best TV show pony for Sprint. Because their competition Verzion is promoting Blackberries in their TV ads. Sprint needs to more actively promote some kind of smart phone to better compete.

Every Sunday when watching the football games on TV, I see Sprint's tired B&W ad with the lame Samsung Rant, then Verizon's full color ads with Blackberries. We know people are lining up long and hard for those BBs, but I doubt that is the case for the Samsung Rant. If all I saw were the TV ads, I'd be a Verizon customer .

Sprint is selling out of the Touch Pro, but they put the Samsung Rant in their TV ads ...

I know they promote some smart phones in mail out fliers, but their TV ads are the big money play. They need to push something better in the TV ads, plus customers are buying up devices better than the Rant. Seems to work for Sprint's competition.
  20.    #420  
    Only Palm advertisement I've ever seen was a Centro commercial. Other than that Sprint does zero hype marketing. AT&T and Verizon are great at this. How many of us saw Apple iPhone commercials for months before it's release? The Bold was a good one (oplympic runner). The Storm was another great one (we actually typed in Reno Nevada not Keno Fortada). Now that's a marketing campaign. Sprint uses sports. NASCAR is littered with commercials as wells as Football and Basketball. However they are usually about plans not specific devices. Those Dan Hesse black and white commercials are lame duck ad's on plan savings. Hey Dan, get us excited about the device line up first.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.