Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 724
  1. #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The GPS on the Pro will work un-assisted but it seems to lag compared to the 800w when running Garmin XT side by side with a 800w.
    Is that before or after the tweak to the 800w's GPS is done?
  2. #382  
    Palm's special sauce = hard reset weekly. No thanks.

    30% more battery life, 30% smaller size for the Treo Pro. Huge difference.
  3. #383  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Palm's special sauce = hard reset weekly. No thanks.

    30% more battery life, 30% smaller size for the Treo Pro. Huge difference.
    I've never used a Treo Pro, so I can't comment on battery life. However, I don't think I've had to hard reset more than twice.
  4.    #384  
    Don't know what I was thinking. I cannot give Palm my business. Though I want the Treo Pro I just can't trust Palm anymore. Why would I throw my 2 year rebate to Palm? I know HTC made it but Invotec did make the 800 and we all know how that came out. I have until Jan. 2nd to decide as that is the end of the 30 day trial.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  5. #385  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Palm's special sauce = hard reset weekly. No thanks.

    30% more battery life, 30% smaller size for the Treo Pro. Huge difference.
    And yet we have this statement below.

    Can't have it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You don't have a Sprint Treo Pro. You might want to reserve judgement until you have something to back up your opinions. Comparing a GSM phone to its CDMA counterpart is never wise.
    It's rare to see such fanfare & cheerleading about a phone we know so little about. Such dedication based soley on the name "HTC" is astounding and telling.

    It's worth repeating:

    If you really like the 800w or are satisfied, the Treo Pro is not so appealing.

    If you dont like the 800w/were disappointed, the Treo Pro sounds great.

    Pretty straight forward unless you need the world on your side.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/27/2008 at 08:36 PM.
  6. #386  
    Aww, come on Mal. You know as well as anyone that certain people say whatever they think will get a rise out of people, regardless if it makes sense or not.

    Like the comment about hard reset weekly. The 700wx was one of THE most stable devices out there, it was incredibly well done. My mom, who has a 700wx, only soft resets her phone when I do it...about once every 2 months!

    Only ONE person had to reset weekly. Most people don't have any more problems than any other WM phone.

    And as for Palm's Special Sauce....it's hugely in demand. People love Palm's threaded messaging (even using it today over MS's threaded messaging).

    Palm's done some absolutely incredible work with WM, and people who switch from a Palm phone to a non-Palm phone often find themselves missing Palm's tweaks.

    That's not a dig at anyone else, HTC's done some great work with their task manager and other areas (such as TouchFlo, though I don't use it). It's different work in different areas, and there's no reason they can't coexist happily (and often do).
  7.    #387  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Aww, come on Mal. You know as well as anyone that certain people say whatever they think will get a rise out of people, regardless if it makes sense or not.

    Like the comment about hard reset weekly. The 700wx was one of THE most stable devices out there, it was incredibly well done. My mom, who has a 700wx, only soft resets her phone when I do it...about once every 2 months!

    Only ONE person had to reset weekly. Most people don't have any more problems than any other WM phone.

    And as for Palm's Special Sauce....it's hugely in demand. People love Palm's threaded messaging (even using it today over MS's threaded messaging).

    Palm's done some absolutely incredible work with WM, and people who switch from a Palm phone to a non-Palm phone often find themselves missing Palm's tweaks.

    That's not a dig at anyone else, HTC's done some great work with their task manager and other areas (such as TouchFlo, though I don't use it). It's different work in different areas, and there's no reason they can't coexist happily (and often do).
    (raises hand) Yes that was me, reset weekly is a true statement. In fact you tried helping me every week (not a dis, I did appreciate the help). I do agree that the 700wx was stable. I wish the 800 was built with the 700wx stability in mind. Maybe the 800 would have stuck around much longer if they had.

    As for Palm's special sauce, I love threaded text as much as the next person but don't see where Palm's is special.
    Also have to disagree about HTC's TouchFlo. The reason why the Diamond/Touch Pro is made with so much RAM/Memory is because TouchFlo is a huge memory hog (about 30MB on average). Although it is a beautiful looking UI I find it bulky. I do use it every other week. I bounce back and forth. I actually like the HTC Home Plug In made a year ago.

    As far as comparing both HTC and Palm I just look at it this way which I have mentioned before. HTC brought new features to the table this year (VGA Screen, 3.2MP auto focus camera and their own UI). Hell they have HD. I would say they've been busy. How long do you think Palm would take to release these features, another 2 years? HTC is also making serious coin (half billion in one month alone) where as Palm is laying off and begging for money plus losing double digit market share each year. Let's just hope the Treo Pro and Nova can generate enough revenue to save the Company.
    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 12/27/2008 at 10:00 PM.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8. #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    (raises hand) Yes that was me, reset weekly is a true statement. In fact you tried helping me every week (not a dis, I did appreciate the help).
    Unfortunately those help threads went nowhere. After a couple of posts, that was it.

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Let's just hope the Treo Pro and Nova can generate enough revenue to save the Company.
    Personally, I think Nova is a mistake.

    The market doesn't need another OS that's going to compete.

    Palm should stay focused on Palm OS and WM. Palm OS actually has a respectable amount of users on it, and an absolutely huge number of apps. Sure it could use some updating, but there's a giant amount of support out there for POS still.

    And comparing what HTC brings out that's new to what Palm brings out that's new is like comparing Home Depot to Joe's Hardware Shack on 10th and Main. HTC simply has a bigger budget. It's the whole chicken and the egg thing, you need to spend money to make money, but you need to make money to spend money.

    Palm's trying to break out of the niche market and into the bigger markets again, but I don't think that's going to save them. Opening up POS to be on more devices (with a prettier/updated interface) I think will net them far more than Nova (if/when it ever is released).

    There's a lot of money in niche markets. I used to work for a company who was the 2nd largest in the US for high end espresso/coffee machines. We were very small (6ish people at the biggest), but money rolled in. Niche markets, if done right, are huge cash cows. That's where Palm has a huge advantage with the existing POS, and it's something that they're somewhat ignoring.
  9.    #389  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    And comparing what HTC brings out that's new to what Palm brings out that's new is like comparing Home Depot to Joe's Hardware Shack on 10th and Main. HTC simply has a bigger budget. It's the whole chicken and the egg thing, you need to spend money to make money, but you need to make money to spend money.

    Palm's trying to break out of the niche market and into the bigger markets again, but I don't think that's going to save them. Opening up POS to be on more devices (with a prettier/updated interface) I think will net them far more than Nova (if/when it ever is released).
    This is my point exactly. Several years ago, companies like HTC were the Joe's Hardware Shack on 10th and Main. Palm was the bigger budget Home Depot who owned the market. They laughed at people trying to get their foot in the door for a peice of that pie. We all remember Ed laughing at Apple and saying you can't just come into this market and hit a home run on the very first device. Now Palm is exactly as you say, just a niche company trying to keep a dying POS noticeable. They are out of the WM market basically with only one device on one carrier. They still need a home run to survive. I don't see the ball leaving the park with anything they have coming out.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10. #390  
    For anyone doubting the battery numbers, it's just simple math. The Treo Pro has over 30% more battery capacity than the 800w. See this thread for proof: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173688
  11. #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    For anyone doubting the battery numbers, it's just simple math. The Treo Pro has over 30% more battery capacity than the 800w. See this thread for proof: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173688
    Battery capacity is only part of the story.

    Even independent tests show that the Pro only has 10% more talk time and 20-25% more standby time.

    I've looked at a myriad of settings for both devices, and the Pro isn't near as efficient in many areas.

    It's like someone bragging "my motor puts out over 700 horsepower!" That's great, but if that power never gets to the wheels, then it doesn't mean much, does it?

    (Which is why people who are into cars care about at the wheel horsepower, not engine created horsepower, which is a big difference.)

    The Pro has more battery life than the 800w, but in real life circumstances the difference is not as large as the "30%" claims might seem.



    /me edits

    But then again, you already know that. Here I go falling into the same thing I just mentioned to Mal about, responding to absurd claims.
  12. #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I've never used a Treo Pro, so I can't comment on battery life. However, I don't think I've had to hard reset more than twice.
    I've had my 800w since October and had to do zero hard resets.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  13. #393  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    For anyone doubting the battery numbers, it's just simple math. The Treo Pro has over 30% more battery capacity than the 800w.
    You are still comparing the GSM Treo Pro to the CDMA 800w.

    Let me be more specific: we don't know the specs on the CDMA Sprint Treo Pro.

    You are assuming (without any evidence) that it has the same 1500mah battery as the GSM version. It very well may. It also may not as a lot happens when doing GSM --> CDMA conversions as the internals on the board have to be re-arranged. Shoot, look at the variation with the HTC Touch Pro between carriers, even CDMA ones. A lot can be different.

    Someone show us the official Sprint Treo Pro specs (processor type, speed, amount of RAM/ROM, GPS, WM version number, battery size, device dimensions) and rated talk time and we can have a better idea. You don't know those, I don't know those...so how the heck are you able to "compare" anything? We haven't even seen a pic of it yet.

    But as of right now, all we know officially is it'll have a 2.0MP camera.

    Finally, even if they are the same, then why blow off Dieter's (mild) criticisms of the Treo Pro? I mean if you can compare the battery life, why can't he critique the screen quality, speed and other things? That's just being inconsistent and arbitrary to fit your view point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Personally, I think Nova is a mistake.

    The market doesn't need another OS that's going to compete.
    Well, unfortunately Palm really has no choice in the matter.

    They can't simply be a company that licenses other people's OSs and sell re-branded hardware. There's no room in the market for that either. So they either need a really compelling OS that they control or they fold.

    There's good reason to believe Nova will be backwards compatible with Garnet and will be compelling. And it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, but there is still a lot of room for improvement in the mobile OS industry. No one has nailed it yet.

    Doing Nova is risky as hell, but honestly it's their only play left. It's literally a hail mary.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/28/2008 at 02:46 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #394  
    Actually I think its safe to assume it will have the 1500mAH for a simple reason that Palm cannot afford to use anything else. I'm sure they have plenty of these batteries in stock where as if they change it then they would have to buy all over again. From a money standpoint that would be real stupid to buy another mAH battery. However this is Palm so it wouldn't be the first dumb mistake.

    I do agree another OS would be another costly mistake. Palm has their own operating system now still being used in the market place. Starting from scratch maybe another dumb mistake. Tweak what you have already being used today. Tooling up again isn't cheap.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  15. #395  
    Of course the battery will be the same. Funny how some misinformed people try to compare talk times between the GSM Treo Pro and the CDMA 800w.

    As to those who claim that the 800w has some magical registry settings for saving battery life, why can't those be applied to the Treo Pro? Perhaps Treo Pro owner won't have to resort to putting their phones in the refridgerator to get battery life to an acceptable level. LOL
  16. #396  
    Even if the battery is the same 1500 mAH, that doesn't guarantee the battery life will be the same or similar. You still have to keep in mind that CDMA generally consume more power than GSM devices. Does this mean that the CDMA version is going to have much less or more battery life? We don't know, it's all speculation right now.
  17. #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Of course the battery will be the same.
    So my point stands: you're just guessing right now since we don't have the Sprint Treo Pro's specifications yet.

    Glad we cleared that up
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Actually I think its safe to assume it will have the 1500mAH for a simple reason that Palm cannot afford to use anything else.
    What I was trying to say is that often enough, these are engineering limitations, not accounting decisions. If they are aiming for a "thin, sexy" device, the battery is the first thing to cut. If that is less of a concern, then the larger battery and thicker device is developed. (The 800w seems to be an accounting decision, but technically that's a guess too). But there is a reason why CDMA-converted devices by HTC are almost universally (slightly) thicker and have different designs.

    Even though Palm's name is on this device, make no mistake: it is nearly 100% HTC in design, engineering and manufacturing. And HTC does flub batteries too i.e. HTC G1 Android with...you guessed it, an 1150mah battery which is turning into a fiasco (but at least they are sending our larger replacements).

    This is all I really want to say on the topic. Until we get the actual specs of the device, initial reviews and hands-on usage by forum users, all of this is just guessing on our part.

    We'll know within a short time what to expect and I see no rush to judge the Sprint Treo Pro (for or against) until said time. It is just irresponsible to do otherwise. Those who declare it a winner or failure without such info, obviously have agendas.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/28/2008 at 03:33 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #398  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Even if the battery is the same 1500 mAH, that doesn't guarantee the battery life will be the same or similar. You still have to keep in mind that CDMA generally consume more power than GSM devices. Does this mean that the CDMA version is going to have much less or more battery life? We don't know, it's all speculation right now.
    What it guarantees is that the CDMA Treo Pro will have over 30% more battery capacity than the soon-to-be-EOL 800w. Trust me, if 800w owners had a 1500mAh battery they probably wouldn't be resorting to putting their phones in the fridge.
  19.    #399  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So my point stands: you're just guessing right now since we don't have the Sprint Treo Pro's specifications yet.

    Glad we cleared that up

    What I was trying to say is that often enough, these are engineering limitations, not accounting decisions. If they are aiming for a "thin, sexy" device, the battery is the first thing to cut. If that is less of a concern, then the larger battery and thicker device is developed. (The 800w seems to be an accounting decision, but technically that's a guess too). But there is a reason why CDMA-converted devices by HTC are almost universally (slightly) thicker and have different designs.

    Even though Palm's name is on this device, make no mistake: it is nearly 100% HTC in design, engineering and manufacturing. And HTC does flub batteries too i.e. HTC G1 Android with...you guessed it, an 1150mah battery which is turning into a fiasco (but at least they are sending our larger replacements).

    This is all I really want to say on the topic. Until we get the actual specs of the device, initial reviews and hands-on usage by forum users, all of this is just guessing on our part.

    We'll know within a short time what to expect and I see no rush to judge the Sprint Treo Pro (for or against) until said time. It is just irresponsible to do otherwise. Those who declare it a winner or failure without such info, obviously have agendas.
    Well you figure the 1150 on the G1 would be acceptable since its not running a hog like WM6 or 6.1. BlackBerry Curve gets sick battery life with a 1150 just because it's running on its own OS. I will agree that GSM version devices get better battery life than CDMA. My buddy's FUZE gets much better battery life than my Pro. His Treo Pro gets better battery life than his FUZE (BTW, he still hasn't got it back from Palm's repair center because of the cracked housing, 22 days now, what service Palm has). So when the 1500mAH does make it onto the CDMA version on paper it will be a 30% increase but not actual. I don't think anyone is declaring the Treo Pro will be a winner but like mentioned Palm needs something good to finally happen to them. Palm has one WM device and a dying POS leaves them clinging onto a very small pie. They need a winner.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  20. #400  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The GPS on the Pro will work un-assisted but it seems to lag compared to the 800w when running Garmin XT side by side with a 800w.
    A number of people have noted lag on garmin on the 800w. I have found the 800w and the treo pro identical when running a variety of gps programs side by side.

Posting Permissions