Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Ebag333, we're talking about the ability of a device to handle the available bandwidth. Not testing the speed of the network.

This is about Touch Pro versus 800w. The Touch Pro has proven to all who use it that I've seen report, that it can better utilize available bandwidth than the 800w. VibrantRedGT was the first I saw who claimed he saw slower results in the Touch Pro, but disabling Touch Flo proved the Touch Pro has the hardware to outperform the 800w. And when configured similar to the 800w, as NsxPrime said, it crushes the 800w.

I know it's an emotional topic for you. I won't be responding if you try to deny what I've said.
    Joe vs The Volcano;
    "I have no reponse to that"
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Ebag333, we're talking about the ability of a device to handle the available bandwidth. Not testing the speed of the network.

This is about Touch Pro versus 800w. The Touch Pro has proven to all who use it that I've seen report, that it can better utilize available bandwidth than the 800w.
    The problem with testing on the device is you have a lot of extra factors in play.

Testing both after a fresh hard reset can minimize them, but won't eliminate them (as the ROM's will be significantly different). Various setups such as push e-mail (which doesn't use the same amount of bandwidth from device to device depending on how the ROM is setup), 3rd party apps, and even WM native apps can all effect bandwidth.

Finally there's the problem of PIE. PIE is not the most robust browser, but unfortunately some of the better ones tend to go through a proxy (which screws up your results).

For example comparing speed tests under PIE on the 800w to Opera Mobile on the Touch Pro will give you different results because of the way that browsing is handled. Heck, I noticed a difference when I ran speed tests between PIE and Netfront, on my 800w (so same device).

I'm not trying to state that the 800w has better (or worse) ability to handle the available bandwidth. Merely pointing out some of the challenges of actually (accurately) measuring that ability.

Plus anything where you can have up to a 50% (or in some cases even higher) difference in results makes any testing questionable at best. Largely my point was that by using a desktop to run the speed tests I went from a 200+ kb/s range of results to about a 50-75 kb/s range of results. Huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    So can you turn off all that flashy touch flo stuff and use it just like a normal PDA or does the touch flo make the device? I already see custom roms available, wondering if you can flash without the touch flo stuff.
    The TouchFLO 3D is just a today plugin. If you disable it, it looks like any other Windows Mobile 6.1 device. However, if you do use TouchFLO, you can't have any other today plugins active unless you use a program like Second Today which makes a second today screen which you can switch between.

The other caveat is that it's like any other WM device, but the Home Button is hard-coded to take you back to the today screen. Using a third party program, you can make it into a Start Menu button, but it'll always take you back to the Home/Today screen in addition to activating the Start Menu. The Back key pretty much acts likes an OK button except in Opera where it acts as a back button.
    Just as I figured. When the devices are compared running nearly the same applications, the superior hardware of the HTC Touch Pro improves data transfer rates. This results in higher bandwidth test results.
    Nobody unbiased who has run them side by side is denying that
  6.    #26  
    It is 7.15am and just took the TP off the charger. Will try to go entire day.
    Just as I figured. When the devices are compared running nearly the same applications, the superior hardware of the HTC Touch Pro improves data transfer rates. This results in higher bandwidth test results.
    Not to rain on anyone's parade but TouchFlow is what makes the Touch series for the consumers so disabling it is like crippling the device in my opinion and is not accurate for what your every day user is going to do.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Thanks for the review. I am now seriously consider trying to get my grubby paws on one of these.

I have a question. If I were to swap out my number to a new phone, will the older phone still be usable? Or will it require some sort of 'cleansing'?
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Not to rain on anyone's parade but TouchFlow is what makes the Touch series for the consumers so disabling it is like crippling the device in my opinion and is not accurate for what your every day user is going to do.
    Touch Flow is probably a big reason why the HTC Touch Pro is selling out while 800w's are not. But put a Touch Flow styled interface on the 800w and it's going to be slower. Leaving the results with the HTC Touch Pro on top. For me it's about seeing what the hardware can do with similar configurations. But for most of the buying public, they're pulling the HTC Touch Pros off the shelf and could care less about whether it's a little slower with the Touch Flo on, we do agree that's why it sells.

On a similar note, personally I continue to enjoy Kinoma Play because I enjoy the ease of navigation. Other people love CorePlayer, because it uses less resources.

For the author of the review (VibrantRedGT), the speed difference with Touch Flo on the HTC Touch Pro was not enough for him to desire keeping his Treo 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am now seriously consider trying to get my grubby paws on one of these.

I have a question. If I were to swap out my number to a new phone, will the older phone still be usable? Or will it require some sort of 'cleansing'?
    No, your old Treo 800w won't be usable as a "phone", given the number will be assigned to your new HTC Touch Pro. (To use that old 800w as a "phone" you'd need to get it another number.) But you will still be able to use the Treo 800w as a PDA and WiFi device. You could even try playing with the GPS and let us know if you can get it running .

No, your old Treo 800w won't be usable as a "phone", given the number will be assigned to your new HTC Touch Pro. (To use that old 800w as a "phone" you'd need to get it another number.) But you will still be able to use the Treo 800w as a PDA and WiFi device. You could even try playing with the GPS and let us know if you can get it running .

Sorry for being off topic here!
    What I meant by usable is...would I be able to add a different number onto the phone? Or would I have to somehow clear the ESN first?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    Sorry for being off topic here!
    What I meant by usable is...would I be able to add a different number onto the phone? Or would I have to somehow clear the ESN first?

Thanks!
    You would not have any problem using your old 800w with a new number and you would not need to have your ESN "cleansed/cleared". Once you put your current number on the Touch Pro, the ESN on your 800w would be free to use with another number.
  12.    #32  
    Its mid day now. I will admit in TouchFlo mode its not easy to navigate since I am lost because it is all new to me. Without TouchFlo enable its a breeze of course. I am using TouchFlo because visually its amazing to look at. The menu process getting through it can be tedious if you are one with no patience. Battery is 85 percent right now. Couple of 5 minute calls and a few emails. More in a little while.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Its mid day now. I will admit in TouchFlo mode its not easy to navigate since I am lost because it is all new to me. Without TouchFlo enable its a breeze of course. I am using TouchFlo because visually its amazing to look at. The menu process getting through it can be tedious if you are one with no patience. Battery is 85 percent right now. Couple of 5 minute calls and a few emails. More in a little while.
    Nice update, thanks. I'm wondering if you will get used to the interface over time, god I hope so.
    After reading all this, I tried to trade my broken 800w for this phone and was shot down by the manager at my local Sprint store. He claimed they were not equivalent devices. 800w is old and the TP is new? Whatever.
  15.    #35  
    Almost 3PM. It looks like I'm going to need to top off the battery soon. I'm at 40%. I am using it heavy though. With my 800 the average is charging 2 times per day with the same usage. I need to check into possible battery hacks if any. I also have the VGA screen turned almost all the way up. It looks so good I can't help it. I think I'm going to take it out of TouchFlo3D mode and just use it regular 6.1 style. See how that roles.

Also I've had it for over 24 hours and not once reset. No freezing or anything. So far it's solid. The keyboard really takes time getting use to. Your thumbs get stretched out all over. With the 800 I type with my thumb nails. With this one you don't have to.

The video quality is nuts. It is super clear. I am shocked a phone could take really decent videos. We prepped a job and I sent the video to the owner's phone. He loved it. Picture quality is also very good.

Ok, no more TouchFlo for today. Will report back later.

PS-when you remove the stylus the device wakes up. Sweet.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Vibrant.

Thanks for the updates. I will be picking up a Touch Pro from the stores as soon as one near me has one in stock. I was able to get sprint to swap it out for me. 800w is $20 more but still want to try this phone
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Vibrant.

Thanks for the updates. I will be picking up a Touch Pro from the stores as soon as one near me has one in stock. I was able to get sprint to swap it out for me. 800w is $20 more but still want to try this phone
    Best Buy has them. Plus you don't have deal with mail in rebates, it's instant.

Non-TouchFlo so far is much easier to navigate. I loaded SKTools and WeatherPanel. The screen still looks amazing.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    VibrantRedGT, stop acting as if you like the Touch Pro. Its got horrible battery life. Curses and agony, HTC should have done better. A pox on their Taiwanese houses! Don't you want your Curve back .
  19.    #39  
    What Curve? Sprint does not have the good BB's yet.

HTC is crap. They make devices like American's make cars.

I think of Palm and wonder how long it would take for them to add a 3.2MP camera, VGA screen and their own interface into a device. I think it will only happen if HTC buys them.

Ok, the majority of 800 owners will probably disable TouchFlo. It is like all the Palm features you like (plus more) with a killer screen. The keyboard is growing on me. My keyboard backlight turns off too soon and I cannot find the setting for it. My space bar seems a little tight (might be nitpicking there).

I am going to list all the programs it comes with later. That folder is loaded.

Folks, I think I've found the best feature ever! Who hates pressing OK on your 800 so nothing is running in the backround? Those days are over. If you X out on TP it's closed, completely. For those who are as shocked as I here you go.

Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 12/03/2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    What Curve? Sprint does not have the good BB's yet.

HTC is crap. They make devices like American's make cars.

I think of Palm and wonder how long it would take for them to add a 3.2MP camera, VGA screen and their own interface into a device. I think it will only happen if HTC buys them.

Ok, the majority of 800 owners will probably disable TouchFlo. It is like all the Palm features you like (plus more) with a killer screen. The keyboard is growing on me. My keyboard backlight turns off too soon and I cannot find the setting for it. My space bar seems a little tight (might be nitpicking there).

I am going to list all the programs it comes with later. That folder is loaded.

Folks, I think I've found the best feature ever! Who hates pressing OK on your 800 so nothing is running in the backround? Those days are over. If you X out on TP it's closed, completely. For those who are as shocked as I here you go.

Yar... I have this same functionality with tMan and Treo Pro users have it too, with that same task manager, and there are many other options available as well...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast