Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 724
  1. #361  
    Yea, just like we suspect with the 800w, Sprint will slow down their sales of them until they have no more. But Palm will still sell it just as they still sell the 700wx. Sprint no longer sells the 700wx.

    But so long as retailers are willing to buy the devices from the manufacturer, the manufacturer is always more than willing to keep supplying. Especially when it will be a large lot purchase as companies such as Sprint make.
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Lets compare the amount of support you've provided for the 800w to the amount I've provided.
    You're one of those who need a pat on the back and donations I see. I am no hacker but your in my thread where I compared two devices. Pretty much what I like to do. It has over 8,000 views and 18+ pages. Since I do not need a pat I'm here because this thread is a good read as well as a few others. Please no donations.

    Back on topic. As far as sales go the 700wx did go on for years. I wonder how much stock they have after the Treo Pro is in the line up. I do look on eBay quite a bit and see more and more 800's for sale. Plus they are real cheap. I would be shocked to see someone buy from Sprint with 2 year eligibility and pay more when eBay has new ones for less.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3. #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You're one of those who need a pat on the back and donations I see. I am no hacker but your in my thread where I compared two devices. Pretty much what I like to do. It has over 8,000 views and 18+ pages. Since I do not need a pat I'm here because this thread is a good read as well as a few others. Please no donations.
    /me looks at his thread with over 1,800 replies, almost 168,00 views, and 93 pages.


    Yup, I asked for donations. Please, donate. Child's Play is an incredible charity which supplies sick kids with something to do in the hospitals.
  4.    #364  
    I do donate to "Kids In Distress" this year. Also delivered Thanksgiving dinners to people in need through our Church. I would donate to you if I actually used anything you've made. My device doesn't need to be hacked. I may do a kitchen ROM but that is at PPC Geeks. Some of those guys are genius.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  5. #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Evidence/sources for any of the above or just guessing? Usually we don't take it upon ourselves to speak for companies or their motivations unless they've said it publicly or we work for them.
    Sprint has already said that the 800w is being replaced by the Treo Pro. Do a search for the link.

    Either Sprint has decided to scrap the 800w or Palm has. Which do you think is more likely? In the end, does it really matter? The bug-ridden 800w is being replaced by something much better. We should all be thankful that Sprint/Palm/whoever decided to help us out.
  6. #366  
    i think thats correct honestly. I see no motivation for Palm to continue to manufacture and spend resources on a phone no other carrier carries, and now Sprint is dropping it. Why would Palm, already in financial problems, continue to take up resources and plant space to produce a phone to continue to sell direct that no carrier carried, is not a "hot" device like their centro, and has issues. I dont think that makes much logical sense. theyre producing one set of components for a device only one carrier sells and i dont think its selling too well and along with returns is hurting them. After a while the cost-benefit racks up and its simply not worth it to produce anymore when theres already a newer design with slightly upgraded components that they produce that they can simply slap a CDMA radio in. Thats much more cost effective to Palm than to continue to produce the 800.

    Pretty much i think the 800 is done completely. There will likely be refurbs floating around and whatever sprint has left in stock but i doubt youll be able to continue to buy one for long after the treo pro comes out nor will Palm keep it available for long if at all direct.

    As i said in my thread that got closed on this topic, I think Palm just conceded that the 800 wasnt "it" because they would not be EOLing it after a few months if not. If they were selling well it wouldnt be pulled, lets just face that fact. That plus the fact no other carrier carries the 800 is likely making it cost inefficient to make anymore. Their other phones like the centro and even the 700 series were carried by multiple carriers just with different radios, making them much more cost effective to manufacture. Think about it, if you had to carry a carrier specific design that sold 10,000 or could have a model changing out a few small parts on multiple carriers/unlocked selling 100,000 of those total across the board on the same design and parts, which would you choose? Obviously the latter to cut costs especially when your company is struggling already.

    And i cant blame 800 users for being angry and feeling duped in a way. Technology does change, and progression is a good thing, but its a thorn in the side even more so when its a few months for the phone's life that they paid big bucks for and then poof its replaced, furthermore without much support for the device which does have issue that need fixing. Its not the customer's fault the 800 was delayed so long and that there should have been a natural year of time between devices for a manufacturer. They should have simply scrapped the 800 in the first place and did the Pro period if thats the route they intended all along anyways. You just cant blame the customer for feeling a little played in this situation.
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 12/26/2008 at 12:40 PM.
  7. #367  
    klurfdawg23,

    Like everyone else here your making a lot of assumptions based on assumptions. You're trying to rationalize and convince yourself without any actual data, input or statements from any company.

    Especially odd is your notion of not seeing "Palm to continue to manufacture and spend resources on a phone no other carrier carries..."

    The 800w has already been developed and rolled out--there's no more cost to that now, so that doesn't really make any sense.. Palm doesn't make any phones--never have. So all they need to do is continue to pay Inventec to make it. Just like they pay HTC to make the Treo Pro.

    As far as spending resources, this is pretty true as Palm has said as much. They've basically farmed out all of WM development. The Treo 800w is the last true "Palm Treo" (developed and designed by them) as everything from now on from them is just re-branded devices with basically zero Palm input.

    But honestly there are tons of "here's why..." stories and none of them are any more or any less valid than someone else's.

    For example:
    • Palm/Sprint always planned on rolling out the Treo Pro but they did not want to wait till 2009 for a Rev A, Wifi, GPS Treo with WM6.1
    • Palm doesn't want to do business with Inventec
    • Palm wants to keep HTC-branded devices out of the front qwerty market
    • Profit margins are higher with the Treo Pro
    • Production problems with Invnetec
    • Sprint prefers the Treo Pro to the 800w
    • Palm has devoted all resources to "Nova" and wants to downgrade their WM phones

    These are all plausible and yet have as much or as little evidence as any other guess. So this is all just conjecture with little way to validate.

    My own opinion is from what Palm has said in their investor calls: they're basically done with making WM devices and to cut costs (to focus on Nova) they are farming out all development of Treo (WM only now) to other companies on an ODM basis. Not because they think they "suck" at making WM Treos, they simply cannot devote money and resources to two OSs, nor get them out as quickly as needed. This is just a continuation of the refocusing and redirction of Palm since Elevation took over. The 800w was already late in development when they took over, so all "investments" in the device had already been made-- might as well roll it out. (Other devices though were canceled)

    In all honesty, the Treo Pro won't make headlines on Sprint nor for Palm. It's a nice device but in reality it is not that different from the Treo 800w, as far as a basic consumer is concerned. Power users of course see 9 zillion minute differences, but your average consumer won't as the core is the same.

    I mean, I know people here at TC want drama and conspiracy ("I hear Sprint hates the 800w!" "I heard that returns are through the roof!"), but if you just look at what Palm has said, this was always the plan. Proof? Watch if you see any more WM Treo designed by Palm--they're all gonna be re-branded devices with none of Palm's tweaks an optimizations. Those days are over.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/26/2008 at 01:15 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #368  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's a nice device but in reality it is not that different from the Treo 800w, as far as a basic consumer is concerned.
    Don't you think that some could see the Pro as a little more 'sexy' than the 800?
    I could see people being drawn to the 'look'.
    And Sprint could prolly put together advertising that draws attention to the sleekness of the Pro.

    To me, the 800 looks like another Treo that never got a lot of advertising attention anyway.
  9. #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Don't you think that some could see the Pro as a little more 'sexy' than the 800?
    I could see people being drawn to the 'look'.
    Oh sure, it is nicer looking and it might help sales (certainly won't hurt).

    But WM Treos are not consumer devices, they're business orientated, which is why you don't see many pushes for it--it's only to companies. Even Vodafone only sells the Pro in their business channel.

    What's "in" is obvious: iPhone clones and BlackBerries

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. #370  
    Not trying to take sides by any means...
    I like the people here at TC and try to remain neutral.
    But I felt like making a slight defense for Ebag.
    He never accepted donations for the hours he spends trying to solve some of the things that matter to some of the people here at TC.
    He only recently added the donation option because someone asked if they could send him a donation for helping them.
    He thanked them and said he doesn't accept donations, he just likes to tinker and give back to the community.
    It was then he added the option to help out the kids.
  11. #371  
    I'm sorry,
    This is Vibrant's Thread.
  12.    #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    klurfdawg23,

    Like everyone else here your making a lot of assumptions based on assumptions. You're trying to rationalize and convince yourself without any actual data, input or statements from any company.

    Especially odd is your notion of not seeing "Palm to continue to manufacture and spend resources on a phone no other carrier carries..."

    The 800w has already been developed and rolled out--there's no more cost to that now, so that doesn't really make any sense.. Palm doesn't make any phones--never have. So all they need to do is continue to pay Inventec to make it. Just like they pay HTC to make the Treo Pro.

    As far as spending resources, this is pretty true as Palm has said as much. They've basically farmed out all of WM development. The Treo 800w is the last true "Palm Treo" (developed and designed by them) as everything from now on from them is just re-branded devices with basically zero Palm input.

    But honestly there are tons of "here's why..." stories and none of them are any more or any less valid than someone else's.

    For example:
    • Palm/Sprint always planned on rolling out the Treo Pro but they did not want to wait till 2009 for a Rev A, Wifi, GPS Treo with WM6.1
    • Palm doesn't want to do business with Inventec
    • Palm wants to keep HTC-branded devices out of the front qwerty market
    • Profit margins are higher with the Treo Pro
    • Production problems with Invnetec
    • Sprint prefers the Treo Pro to the 800w
    • Palm has devoted all resources to "Nova" and wants to downgrade their WM phones

    These are all plausible and yet have as much or as little evidence as any other guess. So this is all just conjecture with little way to validate.

    My own opinion is from what Palm has said in their investor calls: they're basically done with making WM devices and to cut costs (to focus on Nova) they are farming out all development of Treo (WM only now) to other companies on an ODM basis. Not because they think they "suck" at making WM Treos, they simply cannot devote money and resources to two OSs, nor get them out as quickly as needed. This is just a continuation of the refocusing and redirction of Palm since Elevation took over. The 800w was already late in development when they took over, so all "investments" in the device had already been made-- might as well roll it out. (Other devices though were canceled)

    In all honesty, the Treo Pro won't make headlines on Sprint nor for Palm. It's a nice device but in reality it is not that different from the Treo 800w, as far as a basic consumer is concerned. Power users of course see 9 zillion minute differences, but your average consumer won't as the core is the same.

    I mean, I know people here at TC want drama and conspiracy ("I hear Sprint hates the 800w!" "I heard that returns are through the roof!"), but if you just look at what Palm has said, this was always the plan. Proof? Watch if you see any more WM Treo designed by Palm--they're all gonna be re-branded devices with none of Palm's tweaks an optimizations. Those days are over.
    You are making assumptions as well. We know Palm doesn't make the devices but it would still cost them to roll out an update for the 800 as well as accessories (lets say audio adapter). They clearly are not doing that. Instead a new devices all together is their statement. Their money is being used for the things they know, Nova like mentioned. Doesn't matter how you assume it the 800 is being replaced with the Treo Pro. Not my words.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  13. #373  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You are making assumptions as well.
    Of course. Which is why I say "we just don't know" numerous times on on why the 800w is being replaced and I specifically say "My own opinion..." above.

    But if you look at what Palm and Sprint have said publicly, it's just not a surprise that this is happening. They've said as much.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #374  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You are making assumptions as well. We know Palm doesn't make the devices but it would still cost them to roll out an update for the 800 as well as accessories (lets say audio adapter). They clearly are not doing that. Instead a new devices all together is their statement. Their money is being used for the things they know, Nova like mentioned. Doesn't matter how you assume it the 800 is being replaced with the Treo Pro. Not my words.
    Correct. The bottom line is that Sprint and Palm have decided to scrap the 800w just a couple of months after its release. There has been almost zero support for the device up to this point and there likely won't be any more in the future. No one is surprised because the Treo Pro is clearly better for consumers, for Sprint and for Palm. The proof will come in a couple of months when the Treo Pro will continue to be sold by Sprint and will actually be supported.

    People need to get their accounts documented to show that they're to receive a free upgrade to the Treo Pro once it's released in a couple of weeks.
  15.    #375  
    I am thinking of going Treo Pro. I am dealing with the slider but it is getting annoying.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  16. gottria's Avatar
    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    #376  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I am thinking of going Treo Pro. I am dealing with the slider but it is getting annoying.
    Honeymoon Over?

    I'm with you, I had a touch W/custom ROM and loved the features and size but couldn't deal with no front facing KB.
  17.    #377  
    I love the device. If it had the keyboard up front its a keeper. The Treo Pro has it so I thinkl that will be the route.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  18. #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I love the device. If it had the keyboard up front its a keeper. The Treo Pro has it so I thinkl that will be the route.
    See u jumpin back to a TREO!
    Treo 700wx,755p,Htc Diamond...
  19. #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I love the device. If it had the keyboard up front its a keeper. The Treo Pro has it so I thinkl that will be the route.
    I hear you. I'd be using a Touch Pro over the 800w any day of the week because it's better in almost every way. That being said, I've always liked front keyboards better so I'm holding onto my free swap and using it for a Treo Pro.
  20. #380  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I hear you. I'd be using a Touch Pro over the 800w any day of the week because it's better in almost every way. That being said, I've always liked front keyboards better so I'm holding onto my free swap and using it for a Treo Pro.

    If you think the Touch Pro is better than the 800w then you are going to be sorely disappointed with the Treo Pro. I have used a Treo Pro considerably and the 800w is better than the Treo Pro almost every way.

    The Treo Pro is slow. I would say about 15-20% slower (based on the GSM version). The Treo Pro has a terrible keyboard, almost as bad as the Centro. The Treo Pro screen is not as bright as the 800w and has more glare outdoors. The Treo Pro feels cheap and does not have the build quality of the 800w. The Treo Pro lacks soft keys and does not have all of Palm's "Special Sauce".

    The only thing that the Treo pro has over the 800w is a little better battery life and a 3.5mm stereo jack. The GPS on the Pro will work un-assisted but it seems to lag compared to the 800w when running Garmin XT side by side with a 800w.

    To each his own.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

Posting Permissions