Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 724
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I have a custom ROM for anyone who wants to flash it.

    Want to step up to the plate?
    <Prediction>


    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Definitely & certainly not scientific but it does show a trend, imo. The 800w forums have been some of the busiest and frequently visited at TC for awhile. Considering how much larger Vodafone is than Sprint, you'd figure it would be at least comparable.
    The 800w is a good phone, with a huge number of combined features. It also has an operating system that allows for massive numbers of customizations and add on programs. It is the perfect handset for aficionados, and especially aficionados and for want of a better word, tech oriented "tinkerers" (I don't use that pejoratively) of the type the type that would visit TC and ask each other questions and pass along hacks, workarounds, tips, customizations etc.

    Because it combination of hardware and software features, OS and some inherent problems (which are more problematic for some users than others) I thin k the number of TC posts are understandable.
  3. #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I have a custom ROM for anyone who wants to flash it.

    Want to step up to the plate?
    You don't have the guts to try your own ROM?
  4. #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You don't have the guts to try your own ROM?
    Rom flashes are not hacks that can be zeroed out on return. So I think the problem with a rom flash is given the number of returns and problems with the 800w people would be especially worried about voiding their warranty. More people will be interested once the value on the device has fallen more. If you get a hardware failure or other problem that casues you to need to return for warranty a Rom flash can be much more of a problem.
  5. #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Rom flashes are not hacks that can be zeroed out on return. So I think the problem with a rom flash is given the number of returns and problems with the 800w people would be especially worried about voiding their warranty. More people will be interested once the value on the device has fallen more. If you get a hardware failure or other problem that casues you to need to return for warranty a Rom flash can be much more of a problem.
    Agreed. Since we can all return our 800w's for Touch Pros or Treo Pros because of the defective GPS on the 800w, I wouldn't want to risk losing that option by flashing some jank ROM.
  6. #306  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You don't have the guts to try your own ROM?
    I have no doubt I can get my phone swapped out if a ROM flash goes bad. If nothing else I can get it covered under insurance.

    I simply cannot afford to have my phone go down at this time of the year, because it's the busiest time of year for me.


    Even in the case of an extremely safe ROM flash (such as with the Treo 700wx), where I had personally flashed my device hundreds (literally) of times before anyone else did, I have seen (either posted on the forums or had reported to me directly) at least a dozen phones bricked due to bad flashes.

    Some of those were recoverable. The majority were not.

    Even if a custom ROM for the 800w had been tested for this phone to the extent that the 700wx ROM's were tested, I still would not flash it. As I said, I simply cannot afford to have any downtime on my phone.



    Now, since you are suggesting that if there were custom ROM's for the 800w, you'd be using them, I've got one. I don't believe it's any more dangerous than flashing the 700wx, which I still consider "extremely risky". Funny how you say I have no guts, but you're not willing to try it out. I don't have to prove how much I've got in the way of guts, I was flashing my 700wx long before anyone had done any sort of serious work on it. I didn't see you pioneering any of that.

    So, you got the guts to flash it or do you always depend on other people to do the risky part for you?
  7. #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Agreed. Since we can all return our 800w's for Touch Pros or Treo Pros because of the defective GPS on the 800w, I wouldn't want to risk losing that option by flashing some jank ROM.
    Are you certain about that? Has anyone reported that Sprint allowed a return based upon GPS issues? I'm not sure that Sprint will want to open that door, but I could be wrong.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8. #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Are you certain about that? Has anyone reported that Sprint allowed a return based upon GPS issues? I'm not sure that Sprint will want to open that door, but I could be wrong.
    If you can sweet talk them, then they may do the swap.

    Sprint's official line will be that you should have returned it within 30 days. There have been several people who have been turned down for swaps, and that was the exact reason they were given.

    One person chose to file a BBB complaint against Palm, and Palm choose to buy back the phone. (Whether you consider this to be a valid/acceptable choice, that's up to you.)

    It's really going to just depend on your exact situation, how long you've been a customer, what your internal class rating is with them, who you get, and how well you can sweet talk the rep. You'll most likely need a retentions rep or higher, or a line supervisor or higher to get the swap done. You're unlikely to get it done by a regular line rep as they have been extremely restricted on what they can do outside of policy in the last few years (especially when it comes to any sort of credits).

    Of course an option is to always sell the 800w. Vibrant just sold his 800w for more than he paid for his Touch Pro.
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Are you certain about that? Has anyone reported that Sprint allowed a return based upon GPS issues? I'm not sure that Sprint will want to open that door, but I could be wrong.
    Yes, it's been confirmed.
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Yes, it's been confirmed.
    Well, you stated that we can all return our 800w's; however, I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it, except perhaps for one person who went through the BBB...
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  11. #311  
    ebag's response is the correct one: results will vary

    but lets be clear: there is currently no official (or unofficial) policy from Sprint on returning your 800w because of GPS

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ebag's response is the correct one: results will vary

    but lets be clear: there is currently no official (or unofficial) policy from Sprint on returning your 800w because of GPS
    Ditto.

    What Ebag333 said was 100% correct.
  13. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Well, you stated that we can all return our 800w's; however, I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it, except perhaps for one person who went through the BBB...
    I can return mine because the GPS is defective. I'm not going to take a chance loading some jank ROM onto it and possibly losing my ability to swap it out.
  14. #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I can return mine because the GPS is defective. I'm not going to take a chance loading some jank ROM onto it and possibly losing my ability to swap it out.
    Sprint has authorized you to return your 800W due to GPS?
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Sprint has authorized you to return your 800W due to GPS?
    Yes but it also probably has something to do with it being my third one because the first two were even more defective. They've taken so many of them back due to defects that they're very willing to swap you to another phone if you're nice about asking.
  16. #316  
    So VRGT are you using Touchflo or standard Today Screen?

    I've been forcing myself to use the Touch Pro for a few weeks now after coming from a 700p and briefly trying an 800w. I'm still not convinced. I miss the front keyboard. I didn't realize how much stuff I did one handed. Typing one handed on the TP on screen keyboard is very tedious for me. Surprisingly, I could also type faster with two hands on the Treo keyboard than I can on the TP slide out keyboard (unless I'm typing a lot of numbers also, having a row of number keys is very convenient). Using the hardware buttons on the TP is hit and miss for me. I don't know why they didn't put an ok key on it. The screen is gorgeous, however since I use mine mostly for PIM functions it is not the primary focus for me. I also really miss being able to sync to more than one computer.
  17. #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    So VRGT are you using Touchflo or standard Today Screen?

    I've been forcing myself to use the Touch Pro for a few weeks now after coming from a 700p and briefly trying an 800w. I'm still not convinced. I miss the front keyboard. I didn't realize how much stuff I did one handed. Typing one handed on the TP on screen keyboard is very tedious for me. Surprisingly, I could also type faster with two hands on the Treo keyboard than I can on the TP slide out keyboard (unless I'm typing a lot of numbers also, having a row of number keys is very convenient). Using the hardware buttons on the TP is hit and miss for me. I don't know why they didn't put an ok key on it. The screen is gorgeous, however since I use mine mostly for PIM functions it is not the primary focus for me. I also really miss being able to sync to more than one computer.
    Just remap the back button to be the OK key. Very easy.
  18. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    So VRGT are you using Touchflo or standard Today Screen?
    He mentioned turning off Touchflo and ClearType a while back.

    Turn those off and see how your device performs.
  19. #319  
    Hey, I installed Advanced Confguration Tool in my Sprint Touch Pro yesterday. So I was floating around thru and found that aGPS was disabled by default.

    So I guess I have been having a Great time with straight GPS....
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20. #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sprint's official line will be that you should have returned it within 30 days.
    No I don't think anyone has gotten that. 30 day policy has to do with other things. The 309 day has to do with dissatisfaction even if all warranted features are present, not about warranted features not present. I certainly was not presented by Sprint with any mentioned of the 30 day policy any discussion over the issue.

    They are not going to have an official line because there is a good deal of legal exposure.

Posting Permissions