Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    OK, now with this question I am TOTALLY expecting Touch Pro/Diamond owners to say their devices do the EXACT same thing as the 800w in this regard. But I'm going to ask anyway. Since the responses have been on the impressive side so far, for matters I've wondered about.

Here's the scenario, your device is connected to your PC via USB cable (yea I know I can do syncing other ways, but that's not my question), the ActiveSync connection is live and fine, you reboot the PC. Once you've got the PC up and running again, does the ActiveSync connection reestablish without fail?

Now with the 800w, I never get the ActiveSync session back till I unplugged the device and replug it in.
    I hadn't thought about it before, so, I just tried it. When my computer came back up, AS re-connected with my 800W.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I hadn't thought about it before, so, I just tried it. When my computer came back up, AS re-connected with my 800W.
    AS is it's own little nasty beast. I personally hate it, and wish someone would come up with an AS replacement (on the computer side, the WM side isn't so bad).

The 800w isn't much different than my 700wx. If anything, it feels slightly better, but I suspect that's simply because I've used the 800w more recently than the 700wx and that's slanting my impression a bit.

I know my Mom's Mogul (when she had it) was absolutely horrible for connecting to AS (way way worse than my 700wx or the one she has now, she used to call me every couple days about her Mogul, now I never hear from her....on the AS issue at least ). I'd always attributed that to the memory and other issues the Mogul had.
    yeah we could have a 50 page thread just on activesync..

Biggest thing I hate since going from version 3.8 to 4.xx on wm 5 and up is it constantly wants to sync wheather it needs to or not.

My PPC6601 running pocket pc 2003se on activesync 3.8 worked very well.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Everyone says some older versions of ActiveSync were better. So what is "improved" in this "newer" version?

Without using ActiveSync, I can't have my Treo 800w share my PC's internet connection. (Obviously I could use other methods to access the Internet with the 800w, that's not the point. For my own reasons I like that ActiveSync Internet access sharing feature. Something I've mentioned should be documented and is not.)
    AS Changelog helps (from 4.1 to 4.5)

• Microsoft Outlook Improvements: Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014.
    • Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements: Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet.
    • Improved Desktop Pass Thru behavior with ISA proxy failures.
    • Partnership improvements: Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop.
    • Connectivity Improvements: Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter). New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts
    • ActiveSync 4.5 includes a troubleshooter utility that scans your computer and device to identify problems and offers information and corrective actions to solve them.
    • Faster transfer of data files including media
    • Ability to sync photos assigned to contacts from Outlook on the desktop

On a side note: I've never had AS problems since 4.1+.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    activesync 4.xx and up is required for wm 5 and newer. Microsoft has taken out as many features and support as have been added, like no more support for wifi sync. and to sync my Compaq C140 or Philips Nino I have to use activesync 3.8 or older.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    btw, there were some AS alternatives, like Intellisync which were quite popular.

But Nokia bought them and killed the product (like Verichat).

PocketMirror is still there

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    activesync 4.xx and up is required for wm 5 and newer. Microsoft has taken out as many features and support as have been added, like no more support for wifi sync. and to sync my Compaq C140 or Philips Nino I have to use activesync 3.8 or older.
    Thank you, a viewpoint from a user's perspective rather than the company lines is what I was after.
    OK, now with this question I am TOTALLY expecting Touch Pro/Diamond owners to say their devices do the EXACT same thing as the 800w in this regard. But I'm going to ask anyway. Since the responses have been on the impressive side so far, for matters I've wondered about.

Here's the scenario, your device is connected to your PC via USB cable (yea I know I can do syncing other ways, but that's not my question), the ActiveSync connection is live and fine, you reboot the PC. Once you've got the PC up and running again, does the ActiveSync connection reestablish without fail?

Now with the 800w, I never get the ActiveSync session back till I unplugged the device and replug it in.
    This will work for me, but not reliably.

For that matter, I can let it sync over USB, pull the cable, reconnect and the next time it may or may not fail. And if the 800w suspends, I will need to reconnect or sometimes soft-reset to get it to work.

Compared to using Activesync on the same PC with my 700wx, it is much worse. This is using ActiveSync 4.5 on XP.

I also find it somewhat ironic that according to Ebag, Palm gave us the "don't allow reboots over USB to prevent bad flashes" feature and yet we will probably never see an update for the 800w...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

Compared to using Activesync on the same PC with my 700wx, it is much worse. This is using ActiveSync 4.5 on XP.
    And while I've seen LOTS of complaints about ActiveSync 4.5 and have plenty of my own about it, it seems MS has not been in any rush to update it.

I also find it somewhat ironic that according to Ebag, Palm gave us the "don't allow reboots over USB to prevent bad flashes" feature and yet we will probably never see an update for the 800w...
    Interesting how no one has mentioned experiencing that so-called "feature" in newer or older Treos.

Reminds me of some famous sayings, such as:
    • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    • "You don't want to sell me death sticks."
    • "You want to go home and rethink your life."
    And while I've seen LOTS of complaints about ActiveSync 4.5 and have plenty of my own about it, it seems MS has not been in any rush to update it.

Interesting how no one has mentioned experiencing that so-called "feature" in newer or older Treos.

Reminds me of some famous sayings, such as:
    • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    • "You don't want to sell me death sticks."
    • "You want to go home and rethink your life."
    That feature was definitely not there in the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    That feature was definitely not there in the 700wx.
    Yes. Palm seems to have added lots of new "features" with the 800w.

Nice article on the Mogul: http://www.phonenews.com/editorial-t...886/#more-5886 I wonder if the Touch Pro will take the honors next year.
  13.    #273  
    I must say this.

ActiveSync never worked with my 3rd 800. I've posted about it and was told by Ebag that my database was corrupt. He was the only one who tried to help me.

I have no issues syncing my Touch Pro with ActiveSync. It works flawlessly. I'm working on my schedule right now for next in Outlook. I couldn't even get the 800 to connect. My database in no corrupt it has something to do with the 800 itself. Only changes I made was moving from the 800 to Touch Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    My database in no corrupt it has something to do with the 800 itself. Only changes I made was moving from the 800 to Touch Pro.
    I'm not sure how you can say this definitively. You never tested the 800w in a clean state. Which was rather ironic given your statements that you hard reset once a week......

Considering that you had the same issues over multiple devices and were experiencing things that literally no one else was experiencing, I highly doubt it was the device. Either you got 3 defective devices (certainly possible, though extremely unlikely), or it was something that was being setup/done on the phone to cause the issues.
    VRGT, you gave the 800w enough of a try. More than enough considering all you went through. Now you're doing fine with your Touch Pro, I say that obviously solved your problems. You got what you wanted working in the state you wanted your device to be in. As many have mentioned, the Treo 800w has some issues.

While they could do more, at least Sprint is pushing out a replacement device quickly.
  16.    #276  
    I am glad you mentioned this. For the record I have not performed a hard reset on the Touch Pro. On the 800 I averaged one a week.

There was not a reason to test it in a clean state. I didn't have to do this with the Touch Pro. You may be right in saying it was defective. It's not a surprise since the first two were. I shouldn't have to when all my other devices synced flawlessly. So for me to blame the 800 for this is accurate. I will say it again. I can sync my TP with no other changes then just switching devices. If you want me to dig up all those who are having the same problem with there 800's I will. I use my device for business and have to sync with Outlook. With the 800 I had to type all my calandar, tasks, notes all on the device. It was such a PITA. Finally I can type everything on my laptop and then sync the way AS is designed to.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    HTC makes quality devices. Add an third-party ROM (as long as you don't have an 800w) and they get even faster and rock solid stable. So glad that HTC makes the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    HTC makes quality devices.
    Dozens of other people might suggest otherwise.

Personally I believe that most of HTC's devices are quite good. Despite the cracking problem on the Treo Pro, there is a lot I like about it. HTC has certainly had their problem phones, like the Mogul, but then they have some that seem to be quite good (like the Touch Pro, if you can get over the "if you drop it, it will shatter into a thousand pieces" feel of it).

Of course it did take several iterations of the Touch Pro before they finally got it right....but hopefully we'll see HTC backport most or even all of those fixes to previous versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    HTC makes quality devices.
    Responded to with:

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Dozens of other people might suggest otherwise.

Personally I believe that most of HTC's devices are quite good. Despite the cracking problem on the Treo Pro, there is a lot I like about it.
    Seriously, I'm not trying to be trite, but I simply don't understand why someone would reference poll results they've refuted the overall representation of themselves.

Given my own criticism of Palm and my own speaking about the crackling, I know I've cited those results and never tried to claim they don't reflect the general population of Treo Pro owners.
    Seriously, I'm not trying to be trite, but I simply don't understand why someone would reference poll results they've refuted the overall representation of themselves.

Given my own criticism of Palm and my own speaking about the crackling, I know I've cited those results and never tried to claim they don't reflect the general population of Treo Pro owners.
    You are absolutely right Darnell! I should have never posted a cautionary note that the poll may not be as bad as it appears to be! I was foolish to suggest that a hot-button issue like that would ever be inflated due to satisfied users not posting their results.

Glad to know where you stand on that poll. Perhaps you can join me in posting about how horrible HTC is, since that poll shows that over 40% of Treo Pro's suffer from cracking issues. (And it's actually higher than that since quite a few people discovered cracks after they posted that they didn't have any!) We can join a bunch of sites and post complaints about it, and we can find some blogs where they post about how horrible HTC is doing and all the various problems with HTC devices.

Shoot, with an over 40% failure rate HTC should do a full recall on all Pro's. We can start a class action lawsuit over it, that's an easy win.