Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    If you look at what I wrote, I said I found it much more READABLE, not reliable, with ClearType on. Given that you misread that, I can see why you thought that my situation was abnormal. I was merely making the point that there is no noticeable slow-down, and the benefits in readibility were tremendous.

Maybe I need to up the antialiasing on my PC .

You're right, I totally misread. My mistake, sorry.

OK, so yea, you find it to be more readable, that's what it's supposed to do.

reliable, readable

Two letters different, I just totally misread .

Yes, your experiences of increased readability are expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I thought we already established that the Sprint HTC Touch Pro is NOT the same as all others? So is anyone with a Sprint HTC Touch Pro complaining about video performance?

Like VRGT, the most video I'd use a handheld for is GPS routing and perhaps a video here and there. Both of which VRGT has been fine with. Those complaining about video appear to be into gaming, I can't say I do much in the way of video games. (I'm the guy who still uses an old PS2, on the off occasion I want to play a game.)

Also, are those complaining about video using Touch Flo, which uses some resources?

And really, even if the Sprint Touch Pro has slower video performance, it trumps the 800w in so many other areas, the Touch Pro is still a better buy. For the additional retail price, the 800w SHOULD trump the Touch Pro in more than video.

People are using Sprint Navigation and Kinoma Play at the same time with the Touch Pro with no problems, even when making or receiving calls. That's never been a statement I could make about the 800w.
    Correct. Some people just can't seem to understand the difference between CDMA and GSM though and the impact that their different ROMs can have on device performance and reliability.

Simple differences like a 3.5mm audio adapter, fully-functional GPS, higher resolution, higher pixel density and larger battery capacity are easier to grasp.
    anyone know how I can trade my 800w in for a touch pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickmd18 View Post
    anyone know how I can trade my 800w in for a touch pro?
    Try to build a track record on your account of documented problems with the 800w (e.g. dropped calls, hardware failures, trade ins, insurance swaps, etc.)--do this over a few weeks (don't look pushy).

Then finally call Sprint, escalate it to "Retentions" and try to BS your way to a trade in.

To be honest, it's a rare thing and usually relies on (a) having a record of problems, but you are a long time Sprint customer (b) having a CS rep who is feeling very kind (c) your attitude and BS capabilities towards the CS rep (I suppose there is also an element of morality here-- if you are fibbing and cheating Sprint to get your latest/greatest toy, but I'll leave that to your conscience).

Try to compromise for credits on your accounts or paying the difference. Shoot, even getting it for the "new customer" price would be helpful. If a rep doesn't comply, hang up and try a different rep. But be careful, they can and will mark your account if you do this too much and look pushy--they love leaving notes about customers.

You can also threaten to leave Sprint (end your contract) with retentions if they don't compromise with you but...be ready for them to call your bluff, especially if you are on SERO--they'll drop you right quick.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/13/2008 at 05:43 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Oh yours is totally an abnormal experience. Which defies all computing logic. This is why there are not many reporting a similar experience.
    I run ClearType on my 800w and see no difference in performance whether it is off or on. I do, however, find it much easier to read when it is on.

And yes, it does use extra resources to run ClearType but that does not necessarily mean it impacts system performance enough to impact user experience. As it is with any computer, various combinations of software create dramatically different user experiences.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I run ClearType on my 800w and see no difference in performance whether it is off or on. I do, however, find it much easier to read when it is on.

And yes, it does use extra resources to run ClearType but that does not necessarily mean it impacts system performance enough to impact user experience. As it is with any computer, various combinations of software create dramatically different user experiences.
    x3

No noticeable differences in CPU/RAM usage, or system impact.

Guess it's not an abnormal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Try to build a track record on your account of documented problems with the 800w (e.g. dropped calls, hardware failures, trade ins, insurance swaps, etc.)--do this over a few weeks (don't look pushy).
    My mom got a new phone after using her Mogul almost 6 months. She was able to trade in the Mogul to get the 700wx (after trying several other phones first) for the price difference.

She had done exactly what Mal suggested.

You can also threaten to leave Sprint (end your contract) with retentions if they don't compromise with you but...be ready for them to call your bluff, especially if you are on SERO--they'll drop you right quick.
    But be careful, they can and will mark your account if you do this too much and look pushy--they love leaving notes about customers.
    If you even suggest that you are going to drop Sprint, they'll call you on it.

And yes, they love leaving notes. When I worked for Sprint I loved leaving notes on callers trying to get something for free.
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post

ClearType is not an issue on the 800. Darnell was talking about the Treo Pro and Touch Pro. When unchecked on the Touch Pro there is a difference when you're using TouchFlo3D. With the VGA screen it looks fine with ClearType turned off. Treo Pro users claim that it makes the device a little snappier.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Regarding my statement:

Oh yours is totally an abnormal experience. Which defies all computing logic. This is why there are not many reporting a similar experience.
    Please be sure you've read the full discourse here and my reason for saying that, which I've already explained. I said it because I mistakenly thought Bujin claimed that he was seeing BETTER OVERALL PERFORMANCE. I didn't say "abnormal" because anyone mentioned that they felt performance was still the same. I said "abnormal" because I mistakenly thought someone was saying they saw even better overall performance and nobody has said they've experienced better overall performance, everyone with an 800w who responded here said they saw performance that was about the same.

I've also explained why I felt the Touch Pro users are seeing a good increase in performance. Honestly, I don't know why the Treo Pro folks are seeing such a dramatic performance increase, because the Treo Pro has the same screen as the 800w. I would have expected Treo Pro owners to say they might notice a "little" performance boost, but it seems to be a whole lot.

I do still believe if ClearType was on in all 800w's by default, that there probably would already be 1 or more threads here (in the 800w forum) of people suggesting that turning it off bringing them performance gains. (I think Palm would have probably even suggested turning it off in their 800w battery saving tips. And there are some tips Palm has suggested that some say don't change their battery life consumption at all.) But I don't discount those who say they're seeing similar performance whether ClearType is on or off. I did question JohnH59, because I was not even sure how much he used his 800w for things such as multimedia.

I do recommend if someone has ClearType enabled and they want to try gaining more performance, that they see how things go by disabling ClearType. That's all I suggested to VRGT.
    Regarding my statement:

Please be sure you've read the full discourse here and my reason for saying that, which I've already explained. I said it because I mistakenly thought Bujin claimed that he was seeing BETTER OVERALL PERFORMANCE. I didn't say "abnormal" because anyone mentioned that they felt performance was still the same. I said "abnormal" because I mistakenly thought someone was saying they saw even better overall performance and nobody has said they've experienced better overall performance, everyone with an 800w who responded here said they saw performance that was about the same.

I've also explained why I felt the Touch Pro users are seeing a good increase in performance. Honestly, I don't know why the Treo Pro folks are seeing such a dramatic performance increase, because the Treo Pro has the same screen as the 800w. I would have expected Treo Pro owners to say they might notice a "little" performance boost, but it seems to be a whole lot.

I do still believe if ClearType was on in all 800w's by default, that there probably would already be 1 or more threads here (in the 800w forum) of people suggesting that turning it off bringing them performance gains. (I think Palm would have probably even suggested turning it off in their 800w battery saving tips. And there are some tips Palm has suggested that some say don't change their battery life consumption at all.) But I don't discount those who say they're seeing similar performance whether ClearType is on or off. I did question JohnH59, because I was not even sure how much he used his 800w for things such as multimedia.

I do recommend if someone has ClearType enabled and they want to try gaining more performance, that they see how things go by disabling ClearType. That's all I suggested to VRGT.
    I did read your post about being mistaken regarding what you read. I read it after I made my post and I appreciate the correction. I just figured I'd chime in and say I don't see any performance gains or losses using ClearType and that different software configurations probably have something to do with the whole thing.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I've never noticed any difference between ClearType on or off on my Mogul or Touch Pro, but I don't use the TF3D on my Touch Pro.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    How easy is it to type one handed with the touch screen keyboard? I had a Mogul for a little while before I bought the 800w, and I absolutely hated the sliding qwerty. I have an LG Rumor too, and I find it very awkward to use one handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    How easy is it to type one handed with the touch screen keyboard? I had a Mogul for a little while before I bought the 800w, and I absolutely hated the sliding qwerty. I have an LG Rumor too, and I find it very awkward to use one handed.
    Very easy. I almost never open the slider on my Mogul or Touch Pro. I use the TouchPal keyboard that makes on-screen typing very easy. There are tons of different on-screen keyboards for all kinds of tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Very easy. I almost never open the slider on my Mogul or Touch Pro. I use the TouchPal keyboard that makes on-screen typing very easy. There are tons of different on-screen keyboards for all kinds of tastes.
    Well, that brings up an interesting question than: what is the advantage of the Pro over the Diamond? I'm a physical KB fan, but I have friends who really dig the iPhone virtual kb. If you almost never use the Pro kb, would you enjoy the Diamond as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Well, that brings up an interesting question than: what is the advantage of the Pro over the Diamond?
    The HTC Touch Diamond does not have a MicroSDHC slot.
    The HTC Touch Diamond does not have a MicroSDHC slot.
    But it has 4 GB of internal storage... if that is enough, then you are good... if you need more, then a microsdhc slot would be your route of travel.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16.    #236  
    I tried the Diamond and just couldn't stand typing on screen all the time. Yesterday I tried using my TP with just the onscreen keyboard. It lasted a few hours then got fed up.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I tried the Diamond and just couldn't stand typing on screen all the time. Yesterday I tried using my TP with just the onscreen keyboard. It lasted a few hours then got fed up.
    Hmmm...that doesn't make me optimistic about liking the Touch Pro. I just can't get used to a slider, and I have tried.
    I used a Touch on WM 6.1 for three months.
    On screen keyboards SUCK!

I thought I could get used to them but they just are not the same as a real button. They really suck for passwords unless you love a stylus and the full qwerty on screen ones.
    Sliders are ok if you like landscape and using two hands all the time.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Anybody remember when we used to use Palm Graffiti and then keyboards came. Everyone wondered how they might transition. Reviews for devices like the Treo 300 said things like:
    Instead of a Graffiti-writing area, there's a backlit miniature keyboard, which becomes easier to use with time.
    And now everybody is into that mini keyboard if they've used it for some time. There's some real similarities with this on screen keyboard discussion.
    Anybody remember when we used to use Palm Graffiti and then keyboards came. Everyone wondered how they might transition. Reviews for devices like the Treo 300 said things like:

And now everybody is into that mini keyboard if they've used it for some time. There's some real similarities with this on screen keyboard discussion.
    I kinda went the other way.

On screen keyboard, to graffiti, to a hardware keyboard. Having used all three, I won't use anything but a hardware keyboard.