Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I find the 800w to be MUCH more readable with ClearType on, and don't see any slowdown.
    That's a very interesting and abnormal experience you're having. Look over in the Treo Pro form and see what they're saying. They're clicking OFF Clear Type for better performance. And if anyone has ever tuned a graphics card, you know the option is clearer view versus improved performance. That's basically what's going on with Clear Type. It offers clearer viewing at the expense of performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That's a very interesting and abnormal experience you're having. Look over in the Treo Pro form and see what they're saying. They're clicking OFF Clear Type for better performance. And if anyone has ever tuned a graphics card, you know the option is clearer view versus improved performance. That's basically what's going on with Clear Type. It offers clearer viewing at the expense of performance.
    I unchecked it on my 800W and couldn't tell any difference, so I checked it again and left it. Of couse, I never really noticed my 800W being sluggish.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    And if I had a Touch Pro I'd have Joint Stereo on in A2DP.)[/I]
    "IF"..? Dont you mean "WHEN"?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Well, I only calls 'em like I sees 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I unchecked it on my 800W and couldn't tell any difference, so I checked it again and left it. Of couse, I never really noticed my 800W being sluggish.
    You do have a another device that you're using for multimedia correct? You have an 800w and an IPhone. So perhaps there are some things some of us who use the 800w for mobile multimedia are going to experience more regularly than you might.

But fact is, ClearType places another graphics processing algorithm over all that is already running. So it uses more devices resources. Which is why Touch Pro and Treo Pro owners who turn it off see a benefit, given it's on by default in their devices. Palm kept it off by default on the 800w for an obvious reason, performance.
  6.    #206  
    I can attest to this. Hence the reason the 800 is snappier than the Treo Pro with a smaller processor. It does make a difference.

I don't see any visual changes either.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I use mine for a variety of multimedia. It is indeed possible for others to have a different experience than yours and yet still be as much a power user as you.

It might not even be an "abnormal" experience.
  8.    #208  
    Hey, I just tried the JETCET 5 Printer program. You click "Add Printer" for a WiFi printer or "Add Bluetooth Printer". After they pair you can send pictures, documents, files, etc. Very nice. I'm out of town, took a picture of my nephew and printed out on my sister's deskjet printer.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  9.    #209  
    MP3 Trimmer Program. This one is great. It is so simple to make your own MP3 ringers. Simply open any song you want from your device or memory card. Select a start point and end point. What's in the middle is your ringer. Save it and you're done. I just did this sample one and took me under a minute to make it.

You do have a another device that you're using for multimedia correct? You have an 800w and an IPhone. So perhaps there are some things some of us who use the 800w for mobile multimedia are going to experience more regularly than you might.

But fact is, ClearType places another graphics processing algorithm over all that is already running. So it uses more devices resources. Which is why Touch Pro and Treo Pro owners who turn it off see a benefit, given it's on by default in their devices. Palm kept it off by default on the 800w for an obvious reason, performance.
    I've only had the iPhone for a short while. I have had the 800W for several months. I used it for quite a bit of multimedia. The only slowdown I had was when using Kinoma. As long as I used TCPMP and Pocket Tunes all was fine. I tried both ClearType checked and unchecked and could not tell a difference.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  11.    #211  
    Here is the QuickGPS setting. Just read the paragraph which explains what it does.

12.    #212  
    And the game everyone is raving about, Teeter. Object is to get the silver ball into the green hole without hitting the others holes. Have to rotate the device in all directions to win and go onto the next level.

Here is the g-sensor calibrator.

And the game.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    MP3 Trimmer Program. This one is great. It is so simple to make your own MP3 ringers. Simply open any song you want from your device or memory card. Select a start point and end point. What's in the middle is your ringer. Save it and you're done. I just did this sample one and took me under a minute to make it.
    Good stuff, by the way this does work on the 800w as well...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Oh yours is totally an abnormal experience. Which defies all computing logic. This is why there are not many reporting a similar experience.
    I use mine for a variety of multimedia. It is indeed possible for others to have a different experience than yours and yet still be as much a power user as you.

Historically speaking, ClearType has always been off by default on WM, in fact you can go back to a lot of "tip" threads on earlier devices and always find a discussion on how turning it on "makes things look better". In fact, it was always weird that it was not on by default.

The Treo Pro and Touch Pro are the first devices I've heard that have it on by default--but the reasons are pretty obvious: it looks nicer and helps with reading. Even the iPhone uses it by default.

Indeed a lot of research has gone into CT and reading comprehension (I did a lit review of this stuff for CASL a few years ago):
    Participants preferred, and gave higher readability ratings to, text that had been rendered using subpixel addressing. Subpixel addressing also significantly improved the accuracy of lexical decisions and the accuracy and speed of sentence comprehension
    But, it is true that enabling does slightly reduce system performance.

However, the Treo Pro is the first case that I am aware of where people are actively saying to disable it in order to get decent system performance--that's very odd. It has a 400mhz processor, which is more than ample. In fact, this probably ties back to the poor video performance mentioned earlier that seems to plague HTC devices. Even more so, the Touch Pro should be able to handle it without a hiccup.

One solution (common hack) to improve the graphics is by allocating more memory to the glyph cache, which is why everyone does it. (Likewise, I don't notice a difference turning mine on or off either. But I tweak my glyph cache to the max. Normally this takes some RAM, but we don't need to horde that anymore on newer devices.)

On VGA, you won't notice the effect as ClearType as much as QVGA, but if you put a side by side or look at your email, you'll notice it. Finally, in all versions of WM that I am aware of, by default ClearType is not turned on in Landscape mode--you have to do a registry hack to force it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

The Treo Pro and Touch Pro are the first devices I've heard that have it on by default--but the reasons are pretty obvious: it looks nicer and helps with reading. Even the iPhone uses it by default.
    Perhaps HTC having a hand in the Treo Pro and obviously making the Touch Pro is why.

In fact, this probably ties back to the poor video performance mentioned earlier that seems to plague HTC devices.
    I have not noticed the Treo Pro folks complaining about poor video performance. seems to show nothing but pleasure with the performance of that device.
    Oh yours is totally an abnormal experience. Which defies all computing logic. This is why there are not many reporting a similar experience.
    Well, I haven't really seen anyone complaining that ClearType has slowed their 800w (and didn't see that as a complaint during a quick search), while two others above reported the same results as I've seen. Do you have any data that shows that there is a noticeable decrease in 800w performance?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  18.    #218  
    Well, I haven't really seen anyone complaining that ClearType has slowed their 800w (and didn't see that as a complaint during a quick search), while two others above reported the same results as I've seen. Do you have any data that shows that there is a noticeable decrease in 800w performance?
    If someone knows how to test it let me know. I am noticing quicker speeds for sure. I will test it on and off.

Bujin, you said that you've found the device to be "MUCH more reliable" with ClearType on.

I find the 800w to be MUCH more readable with ClearType on, and don't see any slowdown.
    Others are saying that they find the device to run about the same with ClearType on. There's a major difference there. Some others are saying they see similar performance and reliability, while you're claiming an improvement. So nobody is claiming the same results you've seen.

Most people are not using ClearType on their 800w because its off by default, so of course there's not much to be found regarding people using it. I'm sure if it was on by default, more people would be affirming that turning it off helps with device performance. The degree it helps may be debated, but it helps.

I don't have 800w specific data that shows a noticeable decrease with ClearType on and there never will be data that shows the 800w is more reliable with ClearType on. And this is not something I'd waste time testing to prove a point to you, because I'm fine with you having your view of it and me feeling your experience is not the norm. I'm not saying and never asserted that the 800w would run flat out horribly with ClearType on, but I do know the device will run better with it off whether you notice or not. Keep in mind, you're the only one saying "MUCH more readable with ClearType on". I'm not saying your experience is untrue, but its certainly not going to be the norm. Hence my use of the term "abnormal" regarding it.

The Touch Pro, having more screen real estate to manage, it's rather sensible that turning off ClearType helps boost performance on that device. Turning ClearType off will help boost performance on any device, but it's logically more noticeable on a device with more screen.

I was personally surprised that the Treo Pro is DRAMATICALLY better in performance with ClearType off, but it is and turning ClearType off only helps performance. The Treo Pro having a faster processor and same display as the 800w, the difference should not be so dramatic. Totally true that the Treo Pro should be able to handle it. The Treo Pro does not have Touch Flo either.
    Bujin, you said that you've found the device to be "MUCH more reliable" with ClearType on.

Others are saying that they find the device to run about the same with ClearType on. There's a major difference there. Some others are saying they see similar performance and reliability, while you're claiming an improvement. So nobody is claiming the same results you've seen.

Most people are not using ClearType on their 800w because its off by default, so of course there's not much to be found regarding people using it. I'm sure if it was on by default, more people would be affirming that turning it off helps with device performance. The degree it helps may be debated, but it helps.
    If you look at what I wrote, I said I found it much more READABLE, not reliable, with ClearType on. Given that you misread that, I can see why you thought that my situation was abnormal. I was merely making the point that there is no noticeable slow-down, and the benefits in readibility were tremendous.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G