1.    #1  
    Are any of you out there using the MediaNet with your Pro?
    (as the internal struggle of wifi vs data plan continues for me).
    It can be used as long as you have a non-smartphone on Media Net and use that SIM. Should AT&T ever discover you're using it on a PDA phone, you could get bumped up to PDA plan or charged pay as you go if they feel like it(WAY worse than even the PDA plan).

They actually should know what phone you have anyway when your phone pings the network, but they may not say anything if you don't go overboard with the data usage. Don't try tethering, people get busted easily by doing that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    AT&T has changed their plans recently so just categorizing MediaNet as a non-PDA plan is no longer valid. What is valid is whether you are on the $15 data plan (only allowed fro acceptable non-PDA phones) or the $30 PDA Connect plan. BOTH of those plans ONLY connect to the MediaNet Access Point. The full Tethering data plan ($60 I think) connects to the ISP Access Point. Now if you have a legacy plan the above statements may not apply.

I know because I recently went to save $10 a month by moving from my legacy PDA Unlimite plan ($39.99) to the new PDA Connect plan ($30). They sounded identical but after the switch I could no longer access the Internet through isp.cingular (the ISP Access Point) and had to use wap.cingular (teh MediNat Access Point).

Their stated reason was to manage the bandwidth on isp.cingular by reserving it for aircards and tethering users. No way to switch back either. However, I'm not unhappy as I save $10 a month, still get unlimited data access and can tether in emergencies by using PDANet. Going in through the MediaNet proxy server hasn't caused me any problems nor do I see a noticable drop in speed.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    A bit more information relative to tethering. From my experience with a Treo 750 that has the Unbranded 2.27 ROM and an EPIX with an AT&T branded ROM, it appears AT&T has put hooks into their ROM releases that keep Internet Sharing from working. It has nothing to do with the Access Points (MediaNet or ISP).

My evidence is with my unlimited data plan that goes in through MediaNet, Internet Sharing works perfectly with the Treo 750 while it fails with the EPIX. The same Sim Card was used in both phones on that test. But like I said with my previous post, PDANet works perfectly on the EPIX and gives me the same functionality as Internet Sharing.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    More information on technical aspects of AT&T's unlimited data plans is available from GadgetTech, at this link:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/wireless/cingular/data/

The posting is fairly old so the details on specific plans is obsolotes; however, the technical information is still accurate.
    The only reason I mentioned tethering was because that seems to be where people who are using a lower cost plan seem to get caught more. Maybe that's why the branded phones now have it blocked in the ROM. They caught a lot of people using the pre-paid $20 unlimited to tether their laptops, and banned the plan, screwing legit users over. Plus even before that, I've read tethering without paying for it can make AT&T angry enough to charge pay as you go, resulting in HUGE bills.

Also even by what you've said, he can still get Media Net on a non-PDA phone for $15 and move the SIM. However now that you mention the changes, I wonder if they'll be keeping more watch now.

The OP should ask how often does he use data and if he can risk being caught if on the $15 plan. There's no real guarantees with AT&T from what I've read.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The only reason I mentioned tethering was because that seems to be where people who are using a lower cost plan seem to get caught more. Maybe that's why the branded phones now have it blocked in the ROM. They caught a lot of people using the pre-paid $20 unlimited to tether their laptops, and banned the plan, screwing legit users over. Plus even before that, I've read tethering without paying for it can make AT&T angry enough to charge pay as you go, resulting in HUGE bills.

Also even by what you've said, he can still get Media Net on a non-PDA phone for $15 and move the SIM. However now that you mention the changes, I wonder if they'll be keeping more watch now.

The OP should ask how often does he use data and if he can risk being caught if on the $15 plan. There's no real guarantees with AT&T from what I've read.
    Thanks so much to you two for your information. I used the medianet with 200 messages (MediaMax?) for 19.99 for 2 years without problems. I NEVER tether and only mainly use the plan for email and internet browsing (no podcasts, etc.)

I'm wondering whether or not I should sign up for that again. Maybe I'll try to use wifi daily for a year (if I end up with the Pro and not the 750) and switch into it next year.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I believe you'll find out your old $20 MediaMax plan is gone and that your choices for unlimited data are the $15 plan (for select non-PDA phones only), the $30 plan (called PDA Connect) or the $60 Tethering Plan. You could use a sim card from a phone that qualified for the $15 data plan and use it in a PDA phone. Odds are unless you use a lot of data you'll be okay but I'm very sure that AT&T is capable of identifying the type of phone. The question is do they really care (as long as you don't consume abnormal amounts of bandwidth) and do they have the resources to monitor for that condition continuously. My best guess is they look either randomly or more likely when something tips them off (like high data usage).
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    I believe you'll find out your old $20 MediaMax plan is gone and that your choices for unlimited data are the $15 plan (for select non-PDA phones only), the $30 plan (called PDA Connect) or the $60 Tethering Plan. You could use a sim card from a phone that qualified for the $15 data plan and use it in a PDA phone. Odds are unless you use a lot of data you'll be okay but I'm very sure that AT&T is capable of identifying the type of phone. The question is do they really care (as long as you don't consume abnormal amounts of bandwidth) and do they have the resources to monitor for that condition continuously. My best guess is they look either randomly or more likely when something tips them off (like high data usage).
    Yea, we here stories of ones who've used the media plan with their pda for years and don't get hit. And then there's others who said they got slapped hard with a big bill when found out.

I kinda figured it's like the IRS, sometimes it may be random, sometimes something they see as a Red Flag triggers an Audit.
    Just call me Berd.
    I now use the $15/mo medianet plan and have b/f that used the $20/mo plan w/o any problems ever. In my case, also, I dont thether either only whenever I need. I'll leave my plan the way it is b/c I dont have a business, I'm not doing business off my phone like some BB exwecutives due and fell I shouldnt be charged as such.