1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Took my TP to India, part site seeing, part visiting relatives. The device performed flawlesslessly - voice, data, SMS, E-Mail, GPS: Specially the GPS, it was neat to get a GPS fix on the different landmarks including my ancestral home (where I was born) and add them to my favorites in Google Maps.

In the manual mode it would see 6 networks but whatever I chose, in a very short time it would usually put me back on Vodaphone IN, they must be in cahoots with AT&T.

In the Automatic mode it was always Vodaphone. The only exception was at the airports where it would be AirTel.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Specially the GPS, it was neat to get a GPS fix on the different landmarks including my ancestral home (where I was born) and add them to my favorites in Google Maps.
    Good thing you got a Treo Pro, because we Treo 800w owners only wish our device, with it's advertised "GPS: stand alone and assisted" could do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Took my TP to India, part site seeing, part visiting relatives. The device performed flawlesslessly - voice, data, SMS, E-Mail, GPS: Specially the GPS, it was neat to get a GPS fix on the different landmarks including my ancestral home (where I was born) and add them to my favorites in Google Maps.

In the manual mode it would see 6 networks but whatever I chose, in a very short time it would usually put me back on Vodaphone IN, they must be in cahoots with AT&T.

In the Automatic mode it was always Vodaphone. The only exception was at the airports where it would be AirTel.
    Glad to hear it worked so well
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I took my Treo Pro to Japan a couple of weeks ago - it worked fine there too.
    @darnell, you wouldn't get any phone signal in India. Sprint CDMA or for that matter any US CDMA phone is useless over there. Your phone don't have a RUIM, so you won't be able to use your phone on local CDMA network. You can reprogram your phone to work with a local network ESN & PRL and whatnot, but it will be a lot of hassle if you still plan to use it on Sprint netwok when you are back in USA. So your Treo would only be useful as a PDA, sans exchange.

BTW: is there a CDMA network in India & is EVDO available there?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Good thing you got a Treo Pro, because we Treo 800w owners only wish our device, with it's advertised "GPS: stand alone and assisted" could do that.
    quoted for truth
  7. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    @pdaneophyte, I believe there are 2 CDMA providers in India, Reliance & Tata. I don't think there is EVDO though.

BTW, India just got the license to build out 3G so I was on E most of the time & G in the remote areas. In the hotels etc there was WiFi, which helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    @darnell, you wouldn't get any phone signal in India. Sprint CDMA or for that matter any US CDMA phone is useless over there. Your phone don't have a RUIM, so you won't be able to use your phone on local CDMA network. You can reprogram your phone to work with a local network ESN & PRL and whatnot, but it will be a lot of hassle if you still plan to use it on Sprint netwok when you are back in USA. So your Treo would only be useful as a PDA, sans exchange.

BTW: is there a CDMA network in India & is EVDO available there?
    My comment was not about phone service, but the GPS.

We Sprint customers are well aware our devices don't work as phones in many parts of the world.

The 800w is advertised to have stand alone and assisted GPS, but it's only assisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Your phone don't have a RUIM, so you won't be able to use your phone on local CDMA network.
    I hear RUIM conversions are popular in India; someone demonstrated this about 3 years ago converting an Audiovox/HTC ppc-6700 at pdaphonehome.com. Very cool.

Someday we'll all be on the same frequency ;-)