Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I'd like to buy my brother (who is in high school) a Treo 800w. We are moving from Verizon to Sprint, so looking at the devices. Here is my question:

Can you either remove completely, or disable the function of Internet Explorer?

I don't care if he wants to use the Sprint TV, email, or Instant Messenger - but I do not want him to be able to browse the web. This is for obvious reasons - a teenage boy shouldn't have un-monitored access to the web. Too much crap out there..

Please help me out with this. He really wants this device, but i need to block the use of Internet Explorer.

Thanks~!
    You could delete the shortcut to PIE.

You could also setup a proxy on your home box (if you have a static IP or use a dynamic DNS service) and setup his phone to go through that proxy.
    Hi Tama2112,

You can't remove or disable Internet Explorer. It's built into the device's ROM. Even if you found a way to disable it, one hard reset and he'd have it back again. There are ways to cripple it, but as I said one hard reset and he'd have it right back. So really you can't disable it. You can't change the ROM, so it can't be removed.

Being a parent I understand your concerns, but if you get him an 800w, you're going to have to hope whatever values you've instilled in him help. Because any means you use to try and lock down the device can be overcome via one hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Assuming he does not realize or hear from a friend that a hard reset can overcome that.

You could also setup a proxy on your home box (if you have a static IP or use a dynamic DNS service) and setup his phone to go through that proxy.
    Which could also be overcome via him changing the proxy setting or a hard reset.

If the kid has 1 friend with half a bit of tech knowledge, they'll hard reset and overcome all blocks put in their way. I know growing up, we kids were far ahead of our parents when it came to gadgets.

These suggestions will work if the kid has no determination to overcome them and no access to anything or anyone who can advise him how to.
    You may be able to have sprint lock down the data, but then sprint tv and email would not work either.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    You may be able to have sprint lock down the data, but then sprint tv and email would not work either.
    That's about the only real assured option, don't setup any data service on the device. No Sprint TV, no e-mail, no Internet and possibly no GPS either. Set it up to only have phone service. Then he could talk on the phone, send SMS and use the PDA features in Windows Mobile. (His friends will probably laugh at him for having such an advanced device that is pretty crippled. Most of the good of the 800w is data related.)

Because even if you remove Internet Explorer, even if the kid does not know how to hard reset the device, he can install Skyfire or Mini Opera on his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If the kid has 1 friend with half a bit of tech knowledge, they'll hard reset and overcome all blocks put in their way. I know growing up, we kids were far ahead of our parents when it came to gadgets.

These suggestions will work if the kid has no determination to overcome them and no access to anything or anyone who can advise him how to.
    All true. There's no real good solution short of blocking all data, but that's more than what the OP is asking for.
  8.    #8  

Thank you all for your quick responses. 2 bits of information you should know:
    1) he is a technical retard - he would never figure out the hard reset option. In fact, i wouldn't even tell him that the internet was disabled, and he would probably never even realize it.
    2) He would not try to figure out a way to get the internet via Skyfire or Mini Opera. He, nor any of his friends have ever seen a device such as this.. They would never figure something like that out.
  9.    #9  
    This wouldn't work - if he clicked on a link in an email, it would open IE right up..
  10.    #10  
    Let's shoot for crippling the IE.. And make it very difficult to "un-cripple"
    I think you're doing your brother a disservice as to his knowledge, or more appropriately, his potential. You are also assuming a lot about his friends and circle of acquaintances. I say this as a h.s. teacher. Our parents are clueless about their children, and I am regularly called on by students to make recommendations about new cell phones or help in using one.

If you don't trust him to surf the net...don't give him an internet enabled phone. It's not like email is a necessity for a teen, and obviously he should be studying rather than watching tv on his phone.

Just my two cents.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I think you're doing your brother a disservice as to his knowledge, or more appropriately, his potential. You are also assuming a lot about his friends and circle of acquaintances. I say this as a h.s. teacher. Our parents are clueless about their children, and I am regularly called on by students to make recommendations about new cell phones or help in using one.

If you don't trust him to surf the net...don't give him an internet enabled phone. It's not like email is a necessity for a teen, and obviously he should be studying rather than watching tv on his phone.

Just my two cents.
    I understand your points, but I can assure you he would not figure this one out.. Besides, i can check his phone periodically so i will be able to tell if he has done anything to it.. And if he wants to look at stuff THAT BAD, i wont be able to stop him - he'll do it on a computer.

Lastly, Its not that i don't trust him - be he is teenage boy with raging hormones.. I want to disable the IE for the same reason that the home computer is located in a open, public area.

Now, if i could please get help with my original question, that would be great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Let's shoot for crippling the IE.. And make it very difficult to "un-cripple"
    You load Resco File Explorer onto it, set it to view hidden and system files in the options, go to the Windows folder and blow away the "Iexplore.exe" file.

Never done it myself, but I think it's doable and will prevent use of Internet Explorer, because the program will be removed. Till a hard reset.
    You can't delete the Iexplore.exe file.

BUT, you could create a new (blank) text file. Rename to Iexplorer.exe. Copy over existing. (Might need to use Total Commander or Resco.)

BUT, you could create a new (blank) text file. Rename to Iexplorer.exe. Copy over existing. (Might need to use Total Commander or Resco.)
    Good call, that's it! Yes Tama2112, you will need something like Total Commander or Resco to do this.
  16.    #16  

Sounds Great!

As i am not too knowledgeable when it comes to the Treo (i use a Blackberry) could someone walk me through these steps? I sort of understand what you are saying as i used a Treo 700wx for a couple of years, but don't fully understand.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    I think this should work. I haven't tested it though.

Just place the .cab on the device and run.
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 08/03/2009 at 10:31 AM.
  18.    #18  
    I think this should work. I haven't tested it though.

Just place the .cab on the device and run.
    Great! I'll give it a try here in a couple of weeks and report back!

Thanks,
    Respectfully I think if you think a teenager won't be able to get around that in 5 minutes you don't know teenagers.

You understand he can do three minutes of research and just download another browser?

If he has three friends, two know how to do this blindfolded.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Respectfully I think if you think a teenager won't be able to get around that in 5 minutes you don't know teenagers.

You understand he can do three minutes of research and just download another browser?

If he has three friends, two know how to do this blindfolded.
    While you may be right, i'll be able to check every couple of weeks to see if he has tampered with it

And like i said earlier, if he really wants to look at stuff he shouldnt be looking at, he'll do it anyways on a computer. He'll find a way. I just dont want to provide him with 24/7 access to it in the privacy of his own room.

I'm sure you all understand..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast