Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Keep this is mind. If I wanted to get around this the 800w has a backup feature. So if you are going to check every few weeks all he needs to do is back up what you did to it to a SD card, then hard reset the device back that to another SD card or PC and restore as needed.

Basicly making it look like he is not doing anything to get around your securty.

Although he would need to know a little about tech.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thepoeta15 View Post
    Keep this is mind. If I wanted to get around this the 800w has a backup feature. So if you are going to check every few weeks all he needs to do is back up what you did to it to a SD card, then hard reset the device back that to another SD card or PC and restore as needed.

Basicly making it look like he is not doing anything to get around your securty.

Although he would need to know a little about tech.
    Once again, i highly doubt he would figure that out!
    If he's that desperate, there is nothing i can do to stop him..
    Why not get a Diamond or Touch Pro? It's very easy to flash a new ROM onto the device. You could even ask someone to cook up the custom ROM for you and have them exclude Opera or IE. Might look into it because even a hard reset wouldn't restore them because you've removed them from the ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Why not get a Diamond or Touch Pro? It's very easy to flash a new ROM onto the device. You could even ask someone to cook up the custom ROM for you and have them exclude Opera or IE. Might look into it because even a hard reset wouldn't restore them because you've removed them from the ROM.
    Nsxprime speaks the truth. If your brother was at all interested in something other than the 800w. A device that has lots of custom ROMs and hackers willing to create customized ROMs (which they often will make for you free of charge), you could use a customized ROM. Of course your brother could just as easily get the stock ROM setup as it is for you to get a customized one. But if you used a device with a customized ROM the browsers would not come back after a hard reset and they probably could set the ROM to prevent installation of specified browsers.

If your brother knows the 800w allows for web browsing and no matter how technically deficient you tell me that he is, I think he knows. He's probably going to find it odd that he can't browse the web. While he seems not to know much technically to you, he may be asking for an 800w with the intent of web browsing. And as you know, if he wants to do it, he's going to.
    A custom ROM won't help in the least with installing 3rd party browsers. There's no real way to lock that down.

Furthermore the folks who spend their time cooking ROM's are generally not interested in cooking a one-off ROM with extremely specific (and limited) requirements that is going to be difficult to setup. They spend enough time working on their own ROM's for general release that a custom one-off isn't worth the time.

If Tama wants to take the time to learn how to cook a ROM, that's a different story of course. But why go through the time and effort of doing that, when you can achieve nearly the same thing by installing a single CAB and periodically checking the device to make sure his brother is being honest?

It's quite clear at this point that Tama knows the pro's and con's, and is quite aware that if his brother wants to bypass it he will.

Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    If he's that desperate, there is nothing i can do to stop him..
    Every suggestion has a way of bypassing it (custom ROM? Just reflash). There are pro's and con's with all the various methods, and there's more than enough information here for Tama to make an informed decision.
    If the highschooler in question is worth his salt, he'll figure this out in a second.

Remove it from ROM? Just a temporary fix. Just email himself a .cab of Opera (mini or mobile) and he's back in business.

Or he'll figure out how to reflash his ROM over a weekend.

None of these solutions will last very long if he knows how anything about computers.

Actually, just let him keep PIE on the device. After viewing some "real" sites on it, he'll find it so slow and painful that it's just not worth it.

Seriously, a real solution to this would be to get a mobile "firewall" such as Airscanner. Set it up and password protect it from uninstallation or modification. Now you can selectively block applications and/or websites using filters.

http://www.airscanner.com/products/firewall/

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Actually, just let him keep PIE on the device. After viewing some "real" sites on it, he'll find it so slow and painful that it's just not worth it.

Seriously, a real solution to this would be to get a mobile "firewall" such as Airscanner. Set it up and password protect it from uninstallation or modification. Now you can selectively block applications and/or websites using filters.

http://www.airscanner.com/products/firewall/
    Best solution so far.

Of course doesn't help with a hard reset, but like I said, there's a way around anything.
    lol, true that. Nothing is fool proof.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    And tama2112 better make sure their brother does not come hanging around here asking questions, because we enjoy "helping" people out .
    I'm sure tama2112 (I take it you are a drummer ), doesn't want to hear yet-another-opinion, but you posted on a forum so you're asking for it, lol. Just a couple of points...

- If your brother likes his new 800w and he has a computer at home, odds are he will find his way to this forum and possibly even this here thread.
    - If he really is that technically deficient that he can't even install apps or apply tweaks, the 800w is probably NOT a good phone for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    If he really is that technically deficient that he can't even install apps or apply tweaks, the 800w is probably NOT a good phone for him.
    That was my thought and my wife's as well...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Yeah, I agree. Why are you even considering the 800w? You might as well just get the kid a RAZR or something cheap like that.

As someone whose teenage years weren't long ago (or still aren't over, depending on what you define as teenager), I think I would be more pissed if I got a phone I wanted, but couldn't do anything with, than I would be if I got some other phone I didn't want.

If all you're looking for is the cool effect, you might as well go with the Instinct or something. I've noticed that teenagers like impractical flashy phones over devices with a larger set of features and capabilities (hence the success of the iPhone...but that's a different discussion).
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I have to agree with much of what has already been said: why would you give an 800w to a non-technical teenager? I'll take your word that he couldn't figure out how to hard-reset or install a 3rd party browser... but pretty much any current smartphone is built heavily around internet use. Plus, Windows Mobile devices (as much as I love mine) are not the best choice for a non-technical person. If you really want to give him a Palm-branded device, you could save money (and headache supporting his technical difficulties) giving him a Centro. It doesn't solve your problem of disabling browsing, but it seems like a better Palm-fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by devonair View Post
    I have to agree with much of what has already been said: why would you give an 800w to a non-technical teenager? I'll take your word that he couldn't figure out how to hard-reset or install a 3rd party browser... but pretty much any current smartphone is built heavily around internet use. Plus, Windows Mobile devices (as much as I love mine) are not the best choice for a non-technical person. If you really want to give him a Palm-branded device, you could save money (and headache supporting his technical difficulties) giving him a Centro. It doesn't solve your problem of disabling browsing, but it seems like a better Palm-fit.
    Yea, if he's so technically inept, he could be given a Centro and he would love it just as much. Looks enough like the 800w.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I think this should work. I haven't tested it though.

Just place the .cab on the device and run.
    When i try to run the program it says:
    "Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions"

Any ideas?
    Huh. That's odd. Let me take a look at it....
    Okay, I tried it. Got the same error.

Stopped Internet Explorer, no problems. Make sure PIE isn't running first.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Okay, I tried it. Got the same error.

Stopped Internet Explorer, no problems. Make sure PIE isn't running first.
    Got it to work. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12