1.    #1  
    As most of you probably already know, despite having a 30% larger battery capacity, the Treo Pro only has a 10% better talk time than the 800w (though it does have a 25% better standby time).

In part this is due to GSM vs CDMA, hardware (333 mhz CPU VS 400 mhz CPU), screen brightness, and about a billion other factors. But a large part of this is due to the ROM.

I'm going through and diffing the Pro's ROM to the 800w's, and thought I'd share some of the tweaks that Palm has done to increase the 800w's battery life. This will probably be a fairly small list, but hopefully it'll make a difference.

I'm not specifically looking to increase the Pro's battery life, but if I stumble across something I'll share it. Hopefully other people can post their own tweaks to increase life.

Where numbers are included they are most likely in HEX. Where approprate I've included in the decimal number in parenthesis, so it looks something like:
    "MinHeartbeat"=dword:00000HEX (DEC)

These changes assume you know how to tweak the registry and possibly other settings.

Increase ActiveSync Heartbeat Time:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync]
    "MinHeartbeat"=dword:00000384 (900)
    "MaxHeartbeat"=dword:00001c20 (7200)

Default:
    "MinHeartbeat"=dword:000001E0 (480)
    "MaxHeartbeat"=dword:00000690 (1680)

(Hopefully) more to come......
    I ended up in the same place [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync]
    when I was trying to solve the 'insta-sync' concern that sansil and I had

discussed here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173071

and here in the 800 forum:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173112

The 750 with a 6.0 Rom syncs instantly (arrows spin) immediately after you edit an appointment, contact or task.

The 800 & Pro with 6.1 only initiates a sync when you create or delete an appointment, contact or task.

750 ActiveSync Heartbeat Time:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync]

"MinHeartbeat"=dword:000001E0 (480)
    "MaxHeartbeat"=dword:00000690 (1680)
    I included the 750 AS Reg below

Note:
    I will move this post over to the applicable thread so as not to hijack this thread, but just thought as long as you were looking at the reg, maybe you might discover something in regard to no 'insta-sync' with 6.1.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just call me Berd.
    I get 40% to 50% more usable battery time on the Pro than the 800w running through on the same usages.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The 750 with a 6.0 Rom syncs instantly (arrows spin) immediately after you edit an appointment, contact or task.

The 800 & Pro with 6.1 only initiates a sync when you create or delete an appointment, contact or task.
    Heartbeat is quite different than a sync. You can think of heartbeat as kinda a poll, mostly to see if there is any new e-mail (for push) but also to check for changes.

Remember that ActiveSync is what handles all your e-mail synching. Heartbeat is specifically for Exchange though, and really only comes into play with Push e-mail.

If you wanted to keep your contacts more up to date you could lower the heartbeat time, which would mean when you make a change it'd pick it up and initiate a sync faster. But that'd reduce your battery life, rather than increase it.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I get 40% to 50% more usable battery time on the Pro than the 800w running through on the same usages.
    And with this tweak if you use Exchange you'll get a decent amount more.

How much battery life you get has nothing to do with the way the tweak works. Some people will benefit more from it than others, while those who don't use push e-mail won't benefit at all.
    When you want to increase your battery life, you really should install a little application like HomeScreen++ (=the former BatteryStatus) or acbPowerMeter or acbTaskManager so that you can measure battery consumption in real time. This will give you instant feedback on how much impact changing your backlight or wifi or whatever will have. See here: http://www.treoprotricks.com/post/20...-Treo-Pro.aspx
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    I am using push email with Gmail IMAP Idle + Flexmail. I guess this registtry hack won't help in this instance?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    So is Pushmail now still push? Or push-with-a-delay?
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I am using push email with Gmail IMAP Idle + Flexmail. I guess this registtry hack won't help in this instance?
    If you can set it to "as items arrive" then it's push and this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    So is Pushmail now still push? Or push-with-a-delay?
    Kinda. It's really more of push-where-the-heartbeat-can-slow-down-more.

There is no significant delay with push for the 800w, with the possible exception of the first push e-mail (taking maybe 30 seconds longer). When I'm getting e-mail during the day it's about a 50/50 chance that my 800w will get the e-mail before my desktop client does, and when it doesn't it's almost always less than 30 seconds apart.
    Thanks for your answer, sounds great.

Currently my Treo Pro gets e-mail about half a minute earlier than my Outlook, which is operating in Cached Exchange mode. But indeed, a slight delay in push is not that bad, considering the big battery savings.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.