1.    #1  
    Hi

I'm the creator of YaRPNcalc, a finger friendly RPN calculator for Pocket PC. It was brought to my attention that YaRPNcalc looks awful on the Treo 800w's 320x320 screen. I have made the necessary changes now but unfortunately the guy who reported the problem never responded when I asked him if he would be willing to check if the application now looks good. My question therefore: would anyone here be willing to download and check out YaRPNcalc 1.5.5 from here *** and check if it works nicely with the 320x320 screen resolution. It works in the emulator but you can never be sure...

Note: you don't need to check if the calculations work, just if everything looks to your satisfaction.

For a sufficiently complete check, do the following:
    - Check the application icon in Start - Programs
    - Check the main screen visible right after start
    - Press right soft key (Function) and check that screen
    - Press right soft key a second time (Convert) and check that screen
    - Press left soft key (Back)
    - Press left soft key (Menu) and check that screen
    - Press left soft key a second time (Constants) and check that screen
    - Press 'User', then 'Edit', then any of the constant button keys and check that screen
    - Press cancel (left soft key)
    - Press left soft key (Menu)
    - Press 'About' and check that screen
    - Press 'Back'
    - Press 'Exit'

*** Just saw that I'm not allowed to post links. So if you'd like to check this out for me please pm me or send an email to: yarpncalc@objecttechnology.com

Thanks
    Philipp
    I'd be glad to take a look. I don't see it at your site...

http://www.objecttechnology.com/yarpncalc/history.html
  3.    #3  
    Hi yakky

Wow, this site is really ultra restrictive. I can't even send you a pm!

Thanks for your reply though. I did not list it on the history page yet because I don't want to officially release it when I'm not sure it fixes the main issue this version is supposed to fix, i.e. the 320x320 support.

Maybe I can do it like this (a mini puzzle ):

You can download it from the URL you listed, without the history.html, but with YaRPNCalc_1_5_5.CAB instead.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers
    Philipp
    Got it. Initially looks good. I'll play around with it a bit and report back.
    I'm running RealVGA which brings the screen down to 96 from 128 dpi like most other wm phones, but here's my test results on the 800w. Conclusion: everything looks fine, but see note below.

Yes, appears fine.
    Works
    Works
    Works
    Works and appears correctly
    Works
    Works
    - Press 'User', then 'Edit', then any of the constant button keys and check that screen
    Works
    Works
    Works
    Works
    - Press 'Back'
    Works
    - Press 'Exit'
    Works

Note:When pressing Menu > Constants or Function > Convert a vertical line appears between the User and Edit button.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 11/30/2008 at 12:08 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks opacityzero and yakky.

I'm not quite sure how RealVGA influences the initial problem so I'll wait until yakky gives me his ok as well before releasing it. It's certainly good to know that it works with RealVGA as I imagine other Treo 800w users could be using that as well.

The line between User and Edit is 'by design'. It should express the relationship between the two, i.e. Edit will only be enabled when in User mode.

Thanks guys for your help. It would have been a shame to discard these changes for all the work it gave me.
    Quote Originally Posted by phitsc View Post
    I'm not quite sure how RealVGA influences the initial problem so I'll wait until yakky gives me his ok as well before releasing it. It's certainly good to know that it works with RealVGA as I imagine other Treo 800w users could be using that as well.
    RealVGA tells the OS to use 96 DPI icons instead of 128 DPI icons.

If your icons auto size, then you're fine. If you hard code them, then it's likely a problem.

If you want to support multiple DPI's the native way, you should put your resources into filename.DPI.dll, for example:

YaRPNcalc.96.dll
    YaRPNcalc.128.dll
    YaRPNcalc.192.dll

Then have each DLL with the appropriate sized icons.
  8.    #8  
    I see. So this release should actually be an improvement for both RealVGA and non-RealVGA users, as I expect the last version of YaRPNcalc would probably have used only the top-left 240x240 pixels for the former while it looked distorted for the latter.
    I see. So this release should actually be an improvement for both RealVGA and non-RealVGA users, as I expect the last version of YaRPNcalc would probably have used only the top-left 240x240 pixels for the former while it looked distorted for the latter.
    RealVGA doesn't change the resolution, so it's still 320x320. Honestly, I'm not sure how exactly your program would react to that.

If opacityzero could post some screenshots.....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    RealVGA doesn't change the resolution, so it's still 320x320. Honestly, I'm not sure how exactly your program would react to that.

If opacityzero could post some screenshots.....
    My application places all elements at absolute screen positions and does no scaling (because the layouts are different for portrait and square screens). Further, it assumes 320x240 for portrait screen Pocket PCs and 240x240 for square screen Pocket PCs (Landscape screen Pocket PCs are not supported). As I understand it on a VGA screen Windows Mobile just doubles the pixels so everything still looks good. But on a 320x320 screen this 'auto scaling' leads to distortion (I've seen screen shots of that). If the effect of what RealVGA does is that this 'auto scaling' doesn't happen any more, then I assume running an older version of YaRPNcalc would just have used the top-left 240x240 pixels (because it detected a square screen and thus assumed it to be 240x240 pixels. That's how it actually looked in the emulator when I first tried it.). The version I'm now about to release differentiates between 240x240 and 320x320 square screen Pocket PCs and does the element placing and sizing accordingly.

I would be very interested in some screen shots as well, just to make sure it looks how it looks in the emulator.
    Hi

I'm the creator of YaRPNcalc, a finger friendly RPN calculator for Pocket PC. It was brought to my attention that YaRPNcalc looks awful on the Treo 800w's 320x320 screen. I have made the necessary changes now but unfortunately the guy who reported the problem never responded when I asked him if he would be willing to check if the application now looks good. My question therefore: would anyone here be willing to download and check out YaRPNcalc 1.5.5 from here *** and check if it works nicely with the 320x320 screen resolution. It works in the emulator but you can never be sure...

Note: you don't need to check if the calculations work, just if everything looks to your satisfaction.

For a sufficiently complete check, do the following:
    - Press 'Back'
    - Press 'Exit'

*** Just saw that I'm not allowed to post links. So if you'd like to check this out for me please pm me or send an email to: yarpncalc@objecttechnology.com

Thanks
    Philipp
    hi

I downloaded and ran thru the button checks as you requested, looks good. Any other tests you would like to run..let me know.

lots of functionality..will give it a test run in a day or two.

BigMots
    Screen shots of program running on 800w with RealVGA installed. As Ebag333 stated, the resolution is still 320x320 (only the resolution changes).
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13.    #13  
    Well, not quite as I want it to look, but certainly much better than the screen shots I received from the upscaled version.

If I manage to get beyond 10 posts I'll attach a picture of that screen shot and one of how I would want it to look

Can anyone without RealVGA confirm that it looks different on their device (or the same)?
    Here are some screenshots at 320x320 resolution @ 128 DPI:

Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  15.    #15  
    Yep, that's how it's supposed to look. Thanks gksmithlcw. So I'll release it like that.