Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the charging port on my 800w is totally trashed. I bought it new, and only charged it maybe 30 times, so I guess the piece was simply substandard. I've read posts on other boards from users with the same issue.

Since the port is somewhat standard on other phones, I'm looking to just buy the port and replace it. I realize that it may not be an exact swap, but I want to try and make it happen.

I'm finding them on the internet, but none that are for sale on a retail level:

http://www.abatteryholder.com/produc..._usb_ab_f.html

Does anyone have a source for parts like this?
    No problems here, and I've done stuff like drop my 800 on the USB cable with it plugged in (it's now slightly tweaked, but works just fine).

Why not get insurance and swap it out?
  3.    #3  
    Bought it on Ebay...insurance not an option.
    as far as I know, it doesn't matter where you get a phone from, it's still a Sprint pohone and sprint should allow you to add TEP to your plan withing 30 days of it's activation I believe. Give them a call and see if they'll let you add it. Also regardless of if you have TEP or not, take it to the store and see what they'll do for you.

FWIW, my MicroUSB has been acting up too, but it usually just requires a little wiggling to fix it. Not completely trashed yet :-\
    Wildrage - Before you go taking your device apart to replace parts, which will likely void the warranty. You should take it to a Sprint store with your proof of purchase and see if they can help. Palm allows Sprint to work as their warranty service arm for the 800w. So long as your 800w has a legit ESN they should be able to help you.

You might not be using Sprint as your carrier, but Sprint should still help you with warranty service as long as you're within the 1 year warranty period.

Also, given how the 800w MicroUSB seems to do something unique with audio, which prevents any other MicroUSB audio adapters from working. The replacement MicroUSB port you've purchased just possibly might not work as you expect.

If Sprint refuses to help you, bug Palm to help you before you go taking your device apart. A "substandard" MicroUSB is a device defect and should be covered by the Palm warranty.
  6.    #7  
    FYI, Darnell, if your 800w breaks and you do not have insurnace, even if it falls under the manufactuers warrany, NOBODY will fix it. If you call Palm, you get forwarded to Sprint, and if you go to Sprint, they will tell you that without insurance, you are SOL. I spent 1/2 hour arguing with the people at the Sprint store on 6th Ave. in NYC, who kept on insisting that I call Palm. I actually called Palm on speakerphone when I was there, and they listened to Palm tell me to go to Sprint, to which they had no explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    FYI, Darnell, if your 800w breaks and you do not have insurnace, even if it falls under the manufactuers warrany, NOBODY will fix it. If you call Palm, you get forwarded to Sprint, and if you go to Sprint, they will tell you that without insurance, you are SOL. I spent 1/2 hour arguing with the people at the Sprint store on 6th Ave. in NYC, who kept on insisting that I call Palm. I actually called Palm on speakerphone when I was there, and they listened to Palm tell me to go to Sprint, to which they had no explanation.
    Well that's no fun at all.

I guess you've already tried Palm's 813-313-4914 number, but if you used another number you could try that one. That's the one Sprint gives to contact Palm for manufacturer issues.

There is one last option and you are well within your rights to use it. A complaint to the BBB of San Jose California. That's the one that covers Palm's headquarters. You've been given the run around on a warranty issue and that's bad customer service. I have heard that complaints to that office of the BBB are VERY effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You've been given the run around on a warranty issue and that's bad customer service. I have heard that complaints to that office of the BBB are VERY effective.
    If it was self inflicted (say dropped with the USB cable plugged in) then it wouldn't be a warranty issue.

Considering Wildrage bought it on Ebay, the person he bought it from should be responsible if he bought it in this condition (and did not disclose it). If the person disclosed it, then he's SOL and it's basically his own fault for buying on with a bad jack on it.

Going through the BBB may end up getting him a new phone (or Palm to buy back his existing one), but in either of the two scenarios above it would not be an honest method of getting the phone replaced.

I've yet to see any evidence that this is a warranty issue.
    Ebag333 - I've been talking and even at times argumentative with Wildrage over this. They purchased the device brand new. The port stopped working properly without being mishandled. There is a defective MicroUSB port in Wildrage's 800w, that they simply want fixed. They've tried to get Palm and Sprint to deal with it and got nothing but the run around. (Or do you think 100% of the Treo 800w's come off the production line with EVERY SINGLE ONE having a MicroUSB port that can't possibly be defective, not a single one?)

Wildrage has a PALM 1 year warranty, not a warranty with the Ebay seller.

A BBB complaint is not only in order, but the most honest and upstanding thing Wildrage could do. For the good of others that may fall into the same situation.

Wildrage has gone through many hoops and wasted much time on this. Back and forth between Palm and Sprint.
    I used the BBB to get out of my T-Mobile contract after 3 CS reps were telling me I could not cancel without incurring the ETF after they raised the rates.

T-Mobile exec team contacted me within 3 days.
    I would just buy the extra battery in the little plastic charging kit from palm. It's like $40 and you get an extra battery and a way of charging it. My port is not broken, but I never charge the phone directly any more. I just use the battery until it does and then switch.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....catsId=3325119
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Wildrage has a PALM 1 year warranty, not a warranty with the Ebay seller.
    He did not buy the phone from an authorized Palm dealership (directly from Palm or Sprint), so I do not believe the warranty would apply.

The warranty is for new or refurbished product. Item's sold on eBay would fall under neither category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    He did not buy the phone from an authorized Palm dealership (directly from Palm or Sprint), so I do not believe the warranty would apply.

The warranty is for new or refurbished product. Item's sold on eBay would fall under neither category.
    If the item was brand new and was registered on Palm.com then the warranty applies. I purchased my Treo 700wx from Ebay many moons ago and had no problems getting it warrantied (until the warranty ran out).
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.

You have to be working for Palm. This statement is ridiculous. I'm sure if roles were reversed and you were having an issue you would want if fixed too. I doubt you would say to yourself "Self, I'm not getting my device fixed because I purchased it on Ebay."

If you purchase a new or used vehicle and there is a defective part it WILL be repaired if under the manufactures warranty (36K, 50K, 100K miles, etc.) regardless where it was purchased. That is why it's called a Warranty.

He purchased the unit new, part is defective, must be replaced under 1 year warranty. It doesn't get any simpler. The fact he's getting the run around is baffling. If it were me and I was fed up then a BBB claim would be in order.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    One fact missed in the assertion the device is not under warranty, is that Wildrage has already been in communication with Palm and Sprint. Neither group has asserted the device was not under warranty. The fact neither Sprint or Palm turned Wildrage away on warranty grounds should have been enough to make it obvious the device is totally under warranty.

Ebay, Newegg.com or another seller, it does not matter so long as the device is within a year of the original purchase date.

And someone else has already mentioned they had Palm cover an 800w they purchased on Ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    If the item was brand new and was registered on Palm.com then the warranty applies. I purchased my Treo 700wx from Ebay many moons ago and had no problems getting it warrantied (until the warranty ran out).
    It's actually a mixed bag.

Technically, if the item is used/has been activated, the warranty does not apply. As per Palm's warranty info on the 800w (and is found on every other companies warranty info):
    Palm, Inc. (“Palm”) warrants to the original end user (“Customer”) that new Palm branded products will be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use, for one (1) year (two (2) years in the European Union if you are an individual consumer) from the original purchase date.
    Now of course Sprint can override this an often do if you are polite. However, they can and have denied people on this before (here's an old thread at SU).

Then again, here is a Treo Pro user (GSM though, not Sprint...same idea though):
    Anyway, after spending an hour on the phone with palm support, I was told they had determined the device was defective. Then, to my amazement, I was told that because I had not purchased the phone through PALM directly (I bought it new, in box, from a computer vendor on Ebay), the 1 year warranty was void.

Very matter of fact. Sorry, Sir, you have no warranty.
    If new, then yes the warranty should apply regardless. But they have the right to ask for proof of purchase, etc. Once again, Sprint is often not that much of a hard-a**, but they can and have.

Adding TEP on a new phone is within 30 days. Pretty cut and dry on that.

On a used phone, it gets tricky. You can still add it within 30 days, but if you call on day 31 to file a claim it will be rejected and possibly blacklisted. Someone at SU had a whole thing on this and they advised to wait 45 days (from activation) to file a claim.

What you *can* do (and I have, ahem) if you don't have TEP is this: re-activate any old Sprint phone that you have laying around (assuming you do, I have 5 or 6) and call Sprint and add TEP.

Use that phone for the next 45 days. Then re-activate the "broken" phone's ESN online. Maybe give it a day or two and then call in the claim. They only check how long you had TEP, not which phone(s) it has been on.

Also, wildrage, try a different store...like maybe in Brooklyn. It also helps if you know a cute girl to go in for you as techs/managers always give them favorable treatment
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/03/2008 at 08:05 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    If you purchase a new or used vehicle and there is a defective part it WILL be repaired if under the manufactures warranty (36K, 50K, 100K miles, etc.) regardless where it was purchased. That is why it's called a Warranty.
    Here's an interesting article written about Chrysler, and the effect of making their warranties transferable. Previously you did not have the option of transferring a warranty, but with their "new" (at the time, it was changed back in 2002) plans warranties were allowed to be transferred for a $50 premium fee.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20030203.html

Everybody assumes that warranties have some value, but who knows exactly how much? DaimlerChrysler Corp., by making its new 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranties transferable to a car's second owner, may soon provide the industry with a definitive answer.

This year and next, some of the first Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler models sold after the transferable warranty program went into effect in July 2002 will undoubtedly be resold, and many of those second buyers will undoubtedly pay the $50 fee to assume the balance of the factory warranty. But will they also pay a premium price to the seller because the warranty is transferable?
    And there's a reason I did not buy my 800w on Ebay.
    Only reason I didn't buy my 800w off Ebay is because the Sprint subsidies made for a sweeter deal at the time the product was released.

If I wanted a new Treo 800w today, I'd go Ebay. And when you buy new there is no worry about warranty transfer (Palm warranties are not transferable). Purchases of new devices off Ebay are covered by manufacturer warranty, because the buyer is the first person to ever activate the device. The first actual end user.

Once Chong67 sends me the link to that $138.50 Touch Pro I'm outta here .
    Here's an interesting article written about Chrysler, and the effect of making their warranties transferable. Previously you did not have the option of transferring a warranty, but with their "new" (at the time, it was changed back in 2002) plans warranties were allowed to be transferred for a $50 premium fee.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20030203.html

And there's a reason I did not buy my 800w on Ebay.
    And if you did then you would get it fixed by either Palm or Sprint if something broke. You wouldn't sit on a broken device while it is well within the warranty. On top of this Sprint offers TEP for a monthly charge and you can put any device under that umbrella and it is covered regardless of who or where it is purchased. Sprint cannot make us all buy devices directly from them so all devices are covered if damaged. They mass produce products just like the rest, anyway they can.

I love how people can easily discredit a claim when its not directly affecting to them. Bottom line is the OP should either get the device fixed or replaced. The problem is Palm just cannot afford to support all the devices in the field. I just hope the OP can get back up and running before Palm closes their doors for good.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast