1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of any program that will give expanded control of ringtones for the 800w? I can assign my mp3/wave files to the messaging-new messages, known caller, unknown caller, and roaming, but not the ones for voice mail, reminders, or missed call. No problems assigning tones to individual contacts. Any suggestions?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I can assign my mp3/wave files to the messaging-new messages, known caller, unknown caller, and roaming, but not the ones for voice mail, reminders, or missed call.
    Hmm.

It's in the registry. Might just need a few bits added to enable it in sounds and notifications. I'll take a peek.

/me edits

Actually, they're all in there.

Reminders
    Phone: Missed Call
    Phone: Voice mail
    Last edited by Ebag333; 11/29/2008 at 02:12 AM.
    Don't think you need to hack the registry. Go to phone settings and there is a set ringtones option. Think you'll find everything you want in thr pull down menu.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dg12 View Post
    Don't think you need to hack the registry. Go to phone settings and there is a set ringtones option. Think you'll find everything you want in thr pull down menu.
    That won't work. What happens there is exactly as I described before. When I select, for example, voicemail to set the ringtone, it does not show the MP3/wav files that I see when I set the ringtone for known caller. It only shows the ones that are preinstalled with the phone.

I wonder if I need to move the files I make to the same directory as the preinstalled ones. I wouldn't think so since I have told the phone where they are in the manage sounds section.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yeah, the voicemail, reminder, and missed call alerts pull their sounds from a different folder than the phone call sounds. Just put a copy of the sound you want in the folder with all the other sounds, and you should be good to go.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Yeah, the voicemail, reminder, and missed call alerts pull their sounds from a different folder than the phone call sounds. Just put a copy of the sound you want in the folder with all the other sounds, and you should be good to go.
    Finally got it right. When you import a file using manage sounds, it puts that file into the \windows\rings folder. That folder is looked at for the known caller/messages, etc. But to use that file for the voicemail, reminder and missed call, they must be put in the \windows folder. BUT, it you want to use one sound for say known caller and reminder, you must put a copy of the file in BOTH folders. Kinda strange, but after all it's a Windows thing.

Yeah, I have no idea why they did that. With WM5, I had all my ringers in the Windows\Rings folder, and there weren't any issues, but with WM6, they seem to have changed the way that works.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    I've copied my mp3 files into the my ringtones directory. however it still defaults to the original treo ringtone. does anyone know why this is doing this?
    You changed the ringtone in Settings>Sound and Notifications?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Finally got it right. When you import a file using manage sounds, it puts that file into the \windows\rings folder. That folder is looked at for the known caller/messages, etc. But to use that file for the voicemail, reminder and missed call, they must be put in the \windows folder. BUT, it you want to use one sound for say known caller and reminder, you must put a copy of the file in BOTH folders. Kinda strange, but after all it's a Windows thing.

When I open Windows Mobile Device Center on my PC, and try to explore the Treo, (File Management > Browse the Contents of your Device) I don't know where exactly to go to do this. In fact, when I look in any of the folders, they're all empty--even "sounds". How do I get to where to put the ringtones?

Thanks, and sorry for not understanding what everyone else probably already knows.

Jean
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jachang View Post
    When I open Windows Mobile Device Center on my PC, and try to explore the Treo, (File Management > Browse the Contents of your Device) I don't know where exactly to go to do this. In fact, when I look in any of the folders, they're all empty--even "sounds". How do I get to where to put the ringtones?

Thanks, and sorry for not understanding what everyone else probably already knows.

Jean
    Which version of Windows Mobile are you using? WM5 or WM6?

It's in the Windows folder on your device. If you have your device in a desktop Windows, I believe the top item is My Mobile Device. Open that and you should see the windows folder.