View Poll Results: After a soft reset, is your Treo 800w sometimes unable to get a phone signal?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 75.00%
  • No

8 25.00%
  1.    #1  
    Having seen this thread and how some mentioned that after a soft reset their device can't get a phone signal, I figured I'd get a poll going so we can capture figures for TC users. I know sometimes after a soft reset, maybe 20% of the time or so (I've never counted for an accurate percentage), my device can't get a phone signal. And I have to soft reset again and then it seems to get a phone signal OK. Sometimes I have to soft reset twice after the first time for the phone signal to come back.

So who else is having this problem? I know I've had it even back after I wiped my device clean, so I've never felt it was related to any software I'm using. It's just an annoying bug.
    Well I've had 3 devices. How can vote 3 times?

1. First one the radio actually broke, so that would be a YES.
    2. Second on I had all kinds of radio issues, broken speakerphone and more, so that's a YES.
    3. Third one has no issues, so that's a NO.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I had two. The first one had the problem about 33% of the time. The 2nd one maybe 5% of the time.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I had this happen a few times on both of my 800w's. Even though the icons all said I didn't have service, as soon as I tried to dial a number, I magically had full service. Maybe it's the interface/icons not updating fast enough?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    I had this happen a few times on both of my 800w's. Even though the icons all said I didn't have service, as soon as I tried to dial a number, I magically had full service. Maybe it's the interface/icons not updating fast enough?
    When it happens to me I can't make calls or data connections although I've tried. Because I used to not notice there was a problem till after I could not not make a call or get a data connection. I've even tried holding the red button for the phone to turn on/off, but that does not work. Only a soft reset is all I've found to fix it.
    Pretty sure this effects all phones. Some people might soft reset rarely enough and just luck out to rarely see it (or perhaps even not see it).

I've already added this issue to the bug list, BTW.
    Yeah I would echo that and say that the response will vary widely depending on how often people soft-reset their phone.

One of the reasons I noticed this right off the bat is because when I'm testing something, I might reboot a 50-100 times over the course of a weekend.

This has happened to me 3 times in a row, and other times I can reboot 25 times and not see it. On average, I'd say between 5-10% of the time.

When I get the "No Service" on soft-reset, I've seen 3 different behaviors:
    a) Even though it says "No Service", I can place a call.
    b) Trying to place a call gives me the warning saying no signal, but cycling the radio will fix it (flight mode on/off).
    c) I have to reboot to fix it.

And I do see the same behavior on a stock setup, no other software installed.

If anyone at Palm has any doubt about this, please have them contact me and I'll give them a script that will reboot their phone in a loop and take a snapshot of the today screen on every boot; for good measure they can place the phone under a cell tower if they have any doubts

EDIT: one other thing that I've noticed (may not be related), but sometimes when this happens I get a fragged Windows icon in the top left corner next to "Start" and the Start Menu key does not work until it un-sticks itself.
    Last edited by zbop; 11/26/2008 at 08:56 PM.
    I have not done any soft resets for about a month now (other than the nightly one due to the nightly backup).