Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo 800w the first day it was release and used it for about 2 weeks. Everything about it was perfect except for that I was supremely disappointed with it's lack of battery life. I was coming off a 700wx which lasted 3-5 days on a single charge. The 800 on the other hand seemingly wouldn't last me the day, even with mild to intermediate use.

I broke down and went to the instinct, gigantic mistake.

As silly as it sounds, I feel like all I have now is a phone. I don't dare use the internet as the built-in browser is slower than molasses. I find myself dreaming of returning to the 800, but I don't want to make the move if the battery life is still the way it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If the battery really bothers you there are options (in the form of extended batteries).
    Battery life is still bad, but how did you ever get multiple days out of a 700WX?

I feel my 800W would equal the 700WX if it had the same size battery. My 700WX needed to be charged during the day as my 800W does, but I could at least use it.. The 800 W drains as fast with half or less the use.

FWIW my wifes Centro is no better than the 800W. I personally think the battery in the Centro and 800W is a poor battery compounded by the small size..
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    Battery life is still bad, but how did you ever get multiple days out of a 700WX?
    I could (barely) get 2 days out of my 700wx.

I get about 10 hours out of my 800w, but I also use it for a lot more stuff than I did my 700wx. (Exchange push, Google IMAP, etc.)
    The battery is no better. It's small and will always be small. If you can wait a month or two, get the Treo Pro. Better than the 800w in almost every way and has a MUCH larger battery.

Your other option would be a Touch Diamond and the optional 3000mAh battery. It will easily go multiple days between charges and is still and is still smaller than the 800w! PM me if you want details on the battery.
    I have not had very good battery life on the 3 device I had. Yesterday my OEM battery crapped out. The Sprint store gave me 2 Centro batteries so I'm all set. I have the device crippled and I top it off anywhere I can. Its the only way I can keep it running.

Extended batteries is not even on my radar. I'm not spending anymore money on this phone for starters. I'm also not ruining the form factor. Pretty much defeats the purpose of it's size.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I usually use my 800w throughout the day, and have about 65% after a full 10 hour day of work. I end up with more if I'm driving around, as I charge in the car.

I bought a second battery, which I mainly use during weekends, when I watch much more video, etc.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8.    #8  
    I extremely appreciate all of your diligent responses. At this point I think I'm going to wait for the Treo Pro.

Anyone else feeling like the only bad part of Sprint is their handsets?
    Don't get me wrong, I still have 2 phones on the pioneer plan, I'm not going anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    I extremely appreciate all of your diligent responses. At this point I think I'm going to wait for the Treo Pro.
    Keep in mind that the Treo Pro may or may not have the same battery life when it comes to CDMA. Aside from the possibility that it may be tweaked/redesigned (like giving up some battery size/life for thicker casing), CDMA may or may not (depending on who you talk to) take more power than GSM. I haven't found anything definitive on that, there's a lot of conflicting information.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the Pro only currently has about 10% longer talk time than the 800w (half an hour longer). The standby time is better at 25% longer. In reality your number will fall somewhere between the two, but if you use the phone a lot you won't see a huge difference in battery life.

Just something to keep in mind.

Don't get me wrong, I still have 2 phones on the pioneer plan, I'm not going anywhere.
    The folks with Verizon are rather upset that Sprint got the 800w and will (almost certainly) get the Pro, and possibly before Verizon gets either one. At least on the Palm front Sprint has a leg up on most of the competition.
    Seriously wait for the Treo Pro. This way if your within the 30 days you could always return it. Maybe try the 800 after that. I would wait knowing I had a choice between the 800 and Pro. If the Pro does have the 1500mAH battery go with that. I doubt they will change the size of it since the 800 battery issue. If they did Palm would look even dumber. It is bad enough they put Centro battery in a WM device. Shouldn't be long, hang out until then and read up on both forums.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.

Good decision. Don't listen to people who try to claim only 10% longer talk time for the Treo Pro. Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics knows that 1500mAh is over 30% more than 1150mAh. The Treo Pro will blow the 800w out of the water in terms of battery life.

Talk times rated on a box are worthless. The 800w doesn't come close to getting what Palm claims. Heck, the 800w is even advertised as having Standalone GPS and we all know how that turned out - busted GPS that will probably never be fixed.
    If you want to see some independent studies, you can look at CNET. They even very clearly explain how they test battery life.

Interestingly enough, their findings match Palm's exactly, so it seems battery life does match Palm's claims.

Now as I've said before, whether those tests are meaningful to you or not is a whole 'nother story. But your typical user probably can't expect a 30% increase in battery life when the independent tests show that you can get a 25% increase at the very most, and only a 10% increase at the least. Mathmatics only work if you include all the variables, of which pure battery size is only a fairly small part. And determining the effect of a particular ROM on battery life is a little hard to assign a specific number to (amongst other things).

Most people will fall somewere between the two (you use the phone so you're not permanantly on standby, but you're not talking for 5 hours straight either), so a 15-20% increase in battery life is pretty reasonable given the circumstances. Of course that does assume that the battery life doesn't change due to tweaks in the OS, power requirements of GSM vs CDMA, etc.

Unfortunatly we're simply going to have to wait and see what happens. The CDMA Pro might get tweaked with some better OS settings to further improve battery life. Or they could have to sacrifice battery size to strengthen the case to prevent cracking, and reduce battery life. The only folks who do know aren't talking, so until we see for ourselves it's all pure speculation.
    30% more makes the erroneous assumption that all things are equal...like say processor speed.

The Treo Pro uses a 400mhz dual processor (one is clocked I believe at 133mhz for the radio).

Treo 800w has a single 333mhz processor.

No way do they have the same power consumption, so just comparing the size of the battery won't tell you anything about battery life.

Apple meet orange.

Then there is also the lingering issue of *not* actually knowing what the CDMA Treo Pro specs will be, which makes this whole "debate" purely speculative conjecture.

Bottome line: All WM devices have relatively poor battery life unless they have a hump. Find what works for you or move on.
    i saw this on another forum...switch your location privacy to 911 only and it greatly increases your battery life. you can easily switch it back when you need to use gps because it will disable gps. i tried it today...12 hours later my battery is still at 80%
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post

Talk times rated on a box are worthless. The 800w doesn't come close to getting what Palm claims. Heck, the 800w is even advertised as having Standalone GPS and we all know how that turned out - busted GPS that will probably never be fixed.
    Whew, for a minute there I thought you were going to go a complete post without mentioning GPS. Good to know there are some constants in the universe.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    800w has same battery as Centro, my wife has a Centro and it drains just as fast as my 800w. we use the phones for same activities so Palm is just as bad as WM. Plus I don't believe GSM is any less power hungry than CDMA. I also used a Touch from Augast till last week, it has the same size battery as 800w and it drains just as fast. Go to any popular Touch forum and they have been complaining about the battery since day one. That is why I found it odd that Palm would use the small battery on a business device. if people could get off the size high horse we could have possibly had an updated 700wx with the good keyboard, sd card slot and the 1800 battery.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    800w has same battery as Centro, my wife has a Centro and it drains just as fast as my 800w. we use the phones for same activities so Palm is just as bad as WM. Plus I don't believe GSM is any less power hungry than CDMA. I also used a Touch from Augast till last week, it has the same size battery as 800w and it drains just as fast. Go to any popular Touch forum and they have been complaining about the battery since day one. That is why I found it odd that Palm would use the small battery on a business device. if people could get off the size high horse we could have possibly had an updated 700wx with the good keyboard, sd card slot and the 1800 battery.
    Correct. That's what's so great about the Treo Pro. It is MUCH smaller than the 800w but has a MUCH larger battery. Best of both worlds.
    for me the Treo Pro is not the best of both worlds.
    Battery is still only 1500 vs 700wx 1800 and the pro has a crappier keyboard than the 800 and still has a micro sd card.
    So for us 800W users, is there another battery we can buy and safely use? If so, could you please tell me which one?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    So for us 800W users, is there another battery we can buy and safely use? If so, could you please tell me which one?

Thanks
    You can buy a Centro battery cheap (several folks here have said they've gotten one for free from their local Sprint store), or Palm sells a battery with a travel charging case, so you can recharge your spare battery without needing it in the phone.

While some have reported dissatisfaction with battery life, in reality it's a cheaply and easily solved issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast