Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife noticed this weekend that the “L” in the Palm logo on the back of my phone is coming off.

I can’t have a phone called “PAM”

With the hairline crack I have between the WiFi button and battery cover it looks like it is time to exchange the phone.

2.    #2  
    I just got off the phone with Palm.

They said they would replace the phone for the hairline crack but they cannot replace the cover. They said "the battery cover is classified as an accessory and they do not have any extra battery cover accessories to give out as replacements at the current time but I can call back later." They said the phone they will be sending me will not have a stylus, back cover or battery.

That's really weird.

On my Pro (which doesn't have any cracks, etc.), the logo on the back is quite literally sunk into the plastic. It would be physically impossible for it to "slide" like you've shown in the picture.

Either yours was manufactured like this, or your battery cover was made using a different process than mine was.
  4.    #4  
    The letters are glued on/in. I think it got too hot when running GPS/WiFi etc and the L came loose. When manufactured the letters are sunk in, but the silver is just dropped in there with glue. Don't believe me? Get a butter knife and pry yours out
    Just think of it as PA-backslash-M....
    Hey CrozB, I have the same location of the crack. I've seen the threads but have debated whether it's worth it to replace the entire phone. How was it dealing with Palm for the crack?
    Palm's current build quality issues on a $550 phone are very disappointing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If palm isn't going to help you with the issue, then I would just fix it myself. I would think a very tiny amount of superglue applied with a toothpick would make it stay (after prying it the rest of the way off). Too much glue and it will look terrible. In any case, after reading some of these stories, I agree that the QA at Palm is questionable. Good luck.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Rubber cement should work as well as superglue, and have the advantage of not being completely permanent if you ever needed to get it off.

It's what they use on the feet for laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Rubber cement should work as well as superglue, and have the advantage of not being completely permanent if you ever needed to get it off.

It's what they use on the feet for laptops.
    If that doesn't work try bubble gum. Hubba Bubba has the best hold.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    This is a pretty funny yet disturbing problem. Palm should really get their heads back on track if they ever want to live to see another year.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    If that doesn't work try bubble gum. Hubba Bubba has the best hold.
    All Treo Pro problems with cracks and things falling off have a single answer, Mighty Putty!

If Billy Mays does not have a product for you to fix it with, it can't be fixed .
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    That's really weird.

On my Pro (which doesn't have any cracks, etc.), the logo on the back is quite literally sunk into the plastic. It would be physically impossible for it to "slide" like you've shown in the picture.

Either yours was manufactured like this, or your battery cover was made using a different process than mine was.
    Ditto, same here, both of my treo pro's have the logo sunk into the plastic.
    seems like it's more of the manufacturers' problem more then palms' problem?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    For the customer, Palm is the manufacturer. To the customer it's Palm's problem and Palm is the party liable to address the issue. The customer has a warranty from Palm and nobody else. Any issues Palm has with whoever made the case for them is something Palm must deal with, the customer deals with Palm. This is Palm's problem, given everyone here is a customer speaking about a Palm product. Whoever Palm worked with is of no concern to the customer. The customer has a warranty with Palm.

I wonder if the different types of letters on the back has any relation to the cracking issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    More like they used a glue that softens at a relatively low temperature.

Add in a simple and easy error, like slightly less glue than should have been, a bubble that prevents correct adhesion, glue didn't cure properly, etc, and the letter slides.

These phones can get seriously hot. To the point where it's uncomfortable to hold, type hot. Many of the softer (non permanent) glues will be quite soft and pliable at those temperatures.

It's unfortunate that the glue came off, but it's a quite easy fix. The OP has the choice of something like superglue for a permanent solution, or rubber cement for a removable option. I personally wouldn't even bother asking for a new cover myself, why get something that might do the same thing when you can fix it yourself (and more permanently) in 30 seconds or less?

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I wonder if the different types of letters on the back has any relation to the cracking issue?
    I think there is a misunderstanding in the way the letters are on there.

All TP's have the same back case. The letters are recessed, but they are glued in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm's current build quality issues on a $550 phone are very disappointing.
    Quoted for truth.
    I sometimes think this web site should be renamed ComplainCentral
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post
    I sometimes think this web site should be renamed ComplainCentral
    QualityCentral
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Why do some people keep making excuses for Palm? If they authorized cheap construction on a $550 phone, they need to be held accountable, plain and simple!! You should NOT be needing to make repairs yourself on a 2 month old phone unless you caused the damage yourself! This is certainly possible but if he didn't cause the damage himself and it is due to the phone getting hot, this should have been discovered in quality control testing. Along with those crazy cracks around often used buttons.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yea, people who are upset about getting cracks all over their brand new $550 Pro or losing letters off the back cover, are a bunch of complainers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast