Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why do some people keep making excuses for Palm? If they authorized cheap construction on a $550 phone, they need to be held accountable, plain and simple!! You should NOT be needing to make repairs yourself on a 2 month old phone unless you caused the damage yourself! This is certainly possible but if he didn't cause the damage himself and it is due to the phone getting hot, this should have been discovered in quality control testing. Along with those crazy cracks around often used buttons.
    Palm definatly is responsible, but lets keep in mind a few things here.

First off so far I've only seen one report of this. It could very likely be a fluke, and be just one of those things. Lets not start ranting an raving about the horrible quality control if there's one case out of thousands.

Now I certainly hope that's the case. It might not be, but considering no one else has posted up that they've seen the same thing happen, this doesn't look to fall in the same category.

Additonally, we're not talking about a major issue here. Cracking is a major issue. Advertised features not working as advertising is a major issue. A glued down letter coming unglued doesn't really come close to either of those. Is it a problem? Of course. But unlike cracking (which could potentially render your device unusable) or features that you were told you would have, but don't (and thus can't use), having the branding become unstickied isn't going to stop you from using the phone/feature.

If a rash of these start showing up then it'll be time to bombard Palm with e-mails/calls/etc. If only one or two isolated instances show up, it's probably not something to worry about (especially when the fix will take about 10 seconds of your time).

I'm not trying to say that the OP doesn't have a valid complaint, but just trying to put it into some perspective.
    Does build quality at $550 mean anything? Assuming this isn't a fluke or he was rough with the phone or had it in a very tight case. Sure you can still use a body damaged phone. But 2 months into the game and people are reporting body damage?

People complain about Nokia and Sony's bad build quality on their expensive phones too by the way, so it isn't just Palm getting heat.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Does build quality at $550 mean anything?
    Build quality at $550 means a lot. But:

Assuming this isn't a fluke or he was rough with the phone or had it in a very tight case.
    That's just the thing. We don't yet know that this wasn't a fluke, and people are making this into a much bigger deal than it appears to be (so far, knock on wood).

Sure you can still use a body damaged phone. But 2 months into the game and people are reporting body damage?
    Lets be fair now, a letter coming unglued isn't exactly body damage. And lets not automatically assume the worst either, especially since it's been 2 months and so far exactly one person has reported this.

Heck, the feet on my laptop have all fallen off (as tends to happen with laptops) and I'm missing a foot on my Redfly (though that one's my bad, I guess I didn't use enough rubber cement after I took it apart ). That's just considered "one of those things", and most people don't find it a big deal.

This could be a much larger issue, but why not burn that bridge when we come to it?
    The battery door is part of the body and thus so is the logo. Sure it's minor, but I'm just saying that it's too soon for this. I question whether this is a solidly built phone. I don't remember this number of crack reports or letters coming off on older Treos. The internal stuff is another story, but the build didn't seem to be like this.

I don't know what he may or may not have done with it, but at face value this is another reason I'm glad I kept my $550 for other phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The battery door is part of the body and thus so is the logo. Sure it's minor, but I'm just saying that it's too soon for this. I question whether this is a solidly built phone. I don't remember this number of crack reports or letters coming off on older Treos. The internal stuff is another story, but the build didn't seem to be like this.

I don't know what he may or may not have done with it, but at face value this is another reason I'm glad I kept my $550 for other phones.
    A lot of us are also very happy with the Treo Pro and haven't had any issues. I have two of them. One for me and one for my wife.
    Why do some people keep making excuses for Palm? If they authorized cheap construction on a $550 phone, they need to be held accountable, plain and simple!! You should NOT be needing to make repairs yourself on a 2 month old phone unless you caused the damage yourself! This is certainly possible but if he didn't cause the damage himself and it is due to the phone getting hot, this should have been discovered in quality control testing. Along with those crazy cracks around often used buttons.
    Why do some people simply complain about the device?

I don't want to read thread upon thread from people who pick apart the Treo Pro for everything that makes them unhappy. If you don't like the device, or are unhappy with it, get something else. No one has held a gun to your head and forced you to buy it, or keep it. There's hundreds of other devices from dozens of other companies out there. If I eat a bad meal at a restaurant, I simply don't go back. Why not expend the energy used to complain to go find some other product that better suits your needs?
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    A lot of us are also very happy with the Treo Pro and haven't had any issues. I have two of them. One for me and one for my wife.
    I am very happy with my phone. All phones have some issues. I am just pointing out that mine has issues with Cracking and the L falling off... They are sending me a replacement for the cracking so I will me happy with my PA M
    It's a real shame that some folks are having their cases crack (and one with the "L" falling off). The Treo Pro is otherwise such a delight... at least to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post

I don't want to read thread upon thread from people who pick apart the Treo Pro for everything that makes them unhappy. If you don't like the device, or are unhappy with it, get something else. No one has held a gun to your head and forced you to buy it, or keep it. There's hundreds of other devices from dozens of other companies out there. If I eat a bad meal at a restaurant, I simply don't go back. Why not expend the energy used to complain to go find some other product that better suits your needs?
    You think this is bad, go try the 800w forum.
    When I peeled off the bodyguards film form the battery cover, the 'a' in Palm weas left stuck on the film.. I just stuck it back on.

So we should bury our heads in the sand about the cracks and other possible build problems. And we are not allowed to discuss them on a DISCUSSION BOARD. OK my mistake.

I don't want to read thread upon thread from people who pick apart the Treo Pro for everything that makes them unhappy. If you don't like the device, or are unhappy with it, get something else. No one has held a gun to your head and forced you to buy it, or keep it.
    Now that is absolutely funny!

No one has held a gun to your head and forced you to read these forums.

If I eat a bad meal at a restaurant, I simply don't go back.
    $550 Meal?
    Just call me Berd.
    I actually like the idea that this place (the Pro Forum) is active.
    And the complaints help us to ensure we're getting a good device.
    For example; if a device (like the treo 650 did) gets a lot of complaints about bad reception, then I know to look somewhere else.

I've been really happy with my Pro.

Where the complaining bothers me, and is infact outright rude, is when the complainers step into a perfectly decent thread and posts complaints.
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't dislike the Pro. I'm more like disappointed that Palm may have screwed up what could have been a great release. It isn't exactly the Pro but Palm itself that is the problem. Possibly cutting corners again. Before, we know they cut corners on features and still charged a premium. This time it's possibly cutting corners on choice of material and still charging a premium. Jury still out.

How many companies near bankruptcy have loads of happy customers?
    This time it's possibly cutting corners on choice of material and still charging a premium. Jury still out.
    Well there's always that "jury" of public opinion and IMHO Palm tried to take a short cut and got caught slipping!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I've also lost the L on the back cover which is a pain, and I have a tiny, barely visible, hairline fracture next to the Wifi button. Nothing serious at the moment, and the device still works perfectly .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12