Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As the original bug list was somewhat out of date (not updated since August), I've started a newer and more up to date one. Hopefully we can keep this one up.

When listing bugs please remember a few things:

1. Bugs need to be specific to the 800w. In other words, not bugs with ActiveSync, XP, Vista, or third party software.
    2. Keep the technical discussion out of the thread. If you want to delve deep into why a bug is occurring, then please start a new thread on it.
    3. Design decisions do not mean it is a bug (IE: "Phone has poor battery life" is not a bug).
    4. All bugs must be able to be reproduced from a "stock" configuration (after a hard reset).
    5. Bugs must be able to be reproduced by multiple people.

Confirmed bugs (800w Specific):

General:
    • GPS not standalone as specified by Palm
      Occurrence: Always
      Workaround: Initialize GPS while on network. Note: Some people have not been able to use GPS off network successfully despite initializing on network.
      (Partial) FIX: See this thread for a method to initialize GPS on any roaming network, and not just Sprint's.
    • Phone displays a "rainbow screen" of lines. Screen flickers on and off at random.
      Occurrence: Rare
      Workaround: Soft reset.
    • After making an emergency (911) call, you may be locked into 911 mode.
      Workaround: View this thread for the workaround and discussion.

Network:
    • EVDO Rev A appears to be disabled by default.
      FIX: See this post for the fix and discussion.
    • Calls/Texts/Voicemails are missed or delayed. (IE: caller hears 5 rings, phone only rings twice.)
      Occurrence: Moderate
      FIX: See this post for the fix and discussion.
    • OTA PRL updates do not work when you ask Sprint to flag your account. The update does trigger, but it never completes successfully.
      Note: It appears that when Sprint pushes out a mass OTA PRL update the phone will update properly. This bug only seems to happen with the flagged OTA updates. This may indicate that the problem is on the Sprint side, and not with the 800w.
      FIX: See this post for the work around, or just be patient and wait for a mass update.

Program/Application/Settings:
    • In Palm's Maps program (Programs->Maps), if you search for a multiple instance item, eg "usps", "fedex", "citibank" the first couple of times you execute a search the results are sorted by distance order. After that they are random, often returning very great distances and place closer instances further down or not reporting them at all.
      Occurrence: Common
    • AC backlight timeout and power timeout are being used when on battery power.
      Workaround: If the "On battery power" timeouts are not working, just plug an AC-cable in and unplug it and after that they will work properly
    • Bring up the dial pad, and then hit one of the volume keys on the side to bring up the volume control bubble. While the volume control bubble is still showing, tap the '6' key on the screen. It should "skin" some of your dialpad buttons orange when the volume bubble disappears.
      Note: The .DLL for the dialpad has both blue and orange skins in it. It seems that Palm somehow displays one over the other, or something goofy like that. There are also alternate versions of the voicemail icon (on the 1 button), in case you want the old school icons instead of them newfangled ones. (Palm never included the required settings/config to change the skin.)

Startup:
    • Occasionally after a soft reset the volume can be set to a significantly higher or lower level than standard/normal. This may cause the speaker volume to be quiet (hard to hear) or loud (crackling or distorted sound).
    • Occasionally after a soft reset the radio will not be enabled and the phone will read "No Service".
    • A soft reset while the 800w is plugged into a computer (via USB data cable) may cause the 800w to hang (WM to not load) on the Palm splash screen.
      Workaround: Disconnect 800w from the computer, pull battery and reset.
      Note: This may not be a bug. I asked Palm about it and they said it was intentionally done to help reduce possible bad ROM flashes (WM loading before flash is all the way done). Basically when the phone is hooked up to a computer, the computer can still access the phone without WM booting all the way.
    • gwes.exe crashes during WM startup.
      Workaround: Turn off error reporting (this does not seem to negatively impact the phone or performance). You can try hard resetting, sometimes GWES does not throw errors after a hard reset (and sometimes it will.)
    • After initiating a hard-reset and selecting yes for "Erase Data", the phone reset and only came up partially. It hung (I waited for 10 minutes) and it never got to the "Tap the screen to set up your device" etc. The USB cable was not plugged in at the time.
      Workaround: Hard reset

Confirmed bugs (WM Generic):

Note: These bugs effect most/all WM devices, and are not specific to the 800w. This likely means that there's nothing Palm can do about these bugs. Bugs listed here are posted for reference only.

• Bluetooth headset volume resets or defaults back to a lower volume setting every time the headset is connected.
      Workaround: None currently.
    • ActiveSync syncs e-mails when a manual sync is done (if e-mail is set only to sync on a manual sync).
      Workaround: None currently.
      Note: This isn't really a bug, but is simply poor design on MS's part.
    • WM Alarm Bug: Notification and Alarms can go missing, not be created correctly (created at incorrect times), duplicated, etc.
      FIX: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175110

Official Patch/Update Releases:

(For more fixes and updates, see the FAQ which lists the user community updates, fixes, and patches.)
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/07/2009 at 04:37 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Please note:

I did not include a lot of the bugs on the previous list due to:

1) I wasn't sure if they've been resolved yet or not (for example a lot of the bluetooth changes that were made in the bluetooth patch).
    2) They had nothing to do with the 800w (guess what, ActiveSync has trouble with *ALL* phones ).
    3) They weren't bugs. (IE: poor battery life, weak stylus, etc)

If you have a bug, please post up in this thread and I will add it to the list.
    The battery draining thing has to be a bug.
    Today, I charged battery untill battery meter said 100%. This was 10am.
    Unplugged and put in my side case on belt, had full signal, no use. At 12pm charge down to 75%.
    Read some email and looked at Treocentral for 15-20min, One phone call 5minuites. BAttery dropped to 40%
    No use after that, 3:30pm low battery warning. 4:15pm shut down at 1%.

Feel free to move this wher appropiate or edit to your list.
    Last edited by Palm_forlackofchoice; 11/23/2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added last line
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Are you considering Windows Mobile issues bugs? The BT headset volume issue remains, but has been an issue with many WM devices.

When using a BT headset, the volume always resets to a lower level, even if increased during a prior call, no matter if it was increased from the BT headset or the handset volume controls.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    The battery draining thing has to be a bug.
    Today, I charged battery untill battery meter said 100%. This was 10am.
    Unplugged and put in my side case on belt, had full signal, no use. At 12pm charge down to 75%.
    Read some email and looked at Treocentral for 15-20min, One phone call 5minuites. BAttery dropped to 40%
    No use after that, 3:30pm low battery warning. 4:15pm shut down at 1%.

Feel free to move this wher appropiate or edit to your list.
    That behavior is not normal.

You either have something installed that's draining the battery, or you have a bad device. 25% loss in 2 hours with basically no use is not normal. My money is on something draining your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Are you considering Windows Mobile issues bugs? The BT headset volume issue remains, but has been an issue with many WM devices.

When using a BT headset, the volume always resets to a lower level, even if increased during a prior call, no matter if it was increased from the BT headset or the handset volume controls.
    WM bugs are kinda a grey area. First off, Palm can't fix root WM bugs, so they're of somewhat limited use to report. Then again, if we have them in the list maybe we can have a workaround for them so people can deal with the issue.

As I said before, I wasn't sure what specific issues the bluetooth patch addressed, so I didn't include any bluetooth issues. If there is something that's still occurring (was not resolved with the bluetooth patch), then post it up and I'll add it to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If there is something that's still occurring (was not resolved with the bluetooth patch), then post it up and I'll add it to the list.
    Yea, the BT headset volume issue still exists after applying the Treo 800w Voice Dialing Over Bluetooth patch.

Given Palm_forlackofchoice had the device on his belt and I doubt he was in the same position that entire time, we can't say for certain his device always had 100% signal strength while attached to his body. Not trying to stir debate, but I doubt there's a bug, because I think the rest of us see the battery life as normally not being very long. I can't reproduce 25% battery drain in 2 hours with my device sitting in the same place. I think Palm_forlackofchoice should call Sprint CS and get a replacement battery.
    And are we considering the paint coming off the buttons easily to be a design decision rather than a bug?
  8.    #8  
    Yea, the BT headset volume issue still exists after applying the Treo 800w Voice Dialing Over Bluetooth patch.
    I'll add it to the list then.

Not trying to stir debate, but I doubt there's a bug, because I think the rest of us see the battery life as normally not being very long. I can't reproduce 25% battery drain in 2 hours with my device sitting in the same place. I think Palm_forlackofchoice should call Sprint CS and get a replacement battery.
    I can cause a 25%/2 hour drain, but that's pretty much with everything running (WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, data, etc).

If for example he had a IM program running, that could cause it.

I think he should try a hard reset and using the device clean before calling Sprint.

And are we considering the paint coming off the buttons easily to be a design decision rather than a bug?
    When Palm can put out a patch or ROM update and fix that, we'll consider it a bug.
    How about:

1. Crackling earpiece when volume is cranked up.

2. Poor audio earpiece quality, muffled sounding.

3. Backlight- many have different issues. I know some experience the device waking up on its own. Others have issues of it going to sleep after several seconds even set at 1+ minutes (I experience this one).

4. Speakerphone quality- I think we can all agree there is no way anyone can hold a conversation with it.

I think these are bugs and can possibly fixed with a ROM or CAB.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    How about:

1. Crackling earpiece when volume is cranked up.

2. Poor audio earpiece quality, muffled sounding.
    You're talking about the earpiece in the 800w, correct? Not a attachment/bluetooth one?

If that's the one, then I do get the crackling earpiece intermittently. It seems to be only occasionally, and is fixed when I soft reset.

No complaints about poor quality or muffled on my unit.

3. Backlight- many have different issues. I know some experience the device waking up on its own. Others have issues of it going to sleep after several seconds even set at 1+ minutes (I experience this one).
    Need more specifics on this one.

There is already the reported bug about the device using external power settings when on battery, and that could cause some of the issues you describe above.

As for the "device waking up on it's own", that's nearly always caused by a notification going off. I've seen several different pieces of software cause that (on my 700wx and 800w). It needs to be reproducible on an absolutely clean (freshly hard reset) phone.

4. Speakerphone quality- I think we can all agree there is no way anyone can hold a conversation with it.
    I hold conversations using the speakerphone all the time. It's about the same quality as my 700wx, maybe slightly better. (On the other hand the speakerphone works *MUCH* better for music than my 700wx ever did.)

Again something by design (even poor design) does not mean it's a bug and should be included in the list. Unless there's something specifically in the software/ROM that you can point to that seems to be causing issues, perhaps?
    Yes, earpiece not BT. I get the crackling every so often too. I also get muffled sounding calls as well. Yes, the backlight is using external power settings. That is my issue. Maybe more people will chime in about speakerphone but mine blows. Weird because music sounds great out of it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I use speakerphone daily and have no problems.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I got cracking speaker. I think its the caller and not my phone.
    Here's the thread on the Palm.com forums about the BT headset volume issue. Initially someone from Palm proposed a fix, that does not work as many who responded there mentioned. Later in that same thread, the same person with Palm mentions it is a WM issue. I have seen boards for MANY other WM devices with the EXACT same complaint. So I believe it's a WM issue.

Still worth mentioning here, but probably not something Palm will be able to fix unless MS helps.
    Ebag, first off, thanks for taking the initiative to put this and the FAQ together. I've always wondered why we don't have better FAQs.

Second, can I make a suggestion, and since I'm not volunteering this is strictly a suggestion

I've found that the most efficient FAQs are ones that have a searchable master index in a single post, where the "questions" are categorized, but have enough content and keywords in the question so that a noob can recognize it immediately as being relevant. If someone has to chase down links, and still read 3 or 4 different threads to find if their issue is even mentioned, many new users still won't take the time.

I mean, I can't blame them if they search for "battery problems" and it returns 25 threads, and searching by post returns 219 posts.

However, if that person's question can be answered by scanning through one (albeit large) post, there is absolutely NO excuse, and as far as I'm concerned, heheh it's open season on noobs.

For example:

Treo 800w FAQ

1) Hardware
    My screen is freaking out and showing rainbow lines, what's wrong?
    Why is my battery draining so quickly?
    Is the GPS standalone?
    Why does my speaker crackle?

The answers can be in a separate post or thread. Yeah I understand that it's alot more work to maintain, but ultimately I think it's more efficient. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there...
  16.    #16  
    Well, I want to keep the FAQ more of linking to the various threads rather than trying to include everything into it.

Hopefully the n00bs will be wise enough to know that their problems are already linked to in the FAQ, and they can find their way from there. Wishful thinking, I know.......

Now if you want to put together the sort of FAQ that you're describing (more of a Q/A FAQ) and maintain it, I'll link to it from the stickied FAQ.
    Was discussed in this post and still is an existing bug. (Even after the e-mail update from MS.)

Every time I stick the MicroUSB cable into my Treo 800w for ActiveSync to start, the e-mail client on my Treo does a Send/Receive on it's own. I don't sync mail, the e-mail setup on my Treo is to a POP account. And it's setup for MANUAL Send/Receive.
  18.    #18  
    Was discussed in this post and still is an existing bug. (Even after the e-mail update from MS.)
    The e-mail update has nothing to do with that.

I'm not sure that'd be classified as a bug. More like a "feature" (granted in your case an unwanted feature).

E-mail syncing is part of ActiveSync (for better or worse). When you connect your phone to your computer, you are telling it to sync. This triggers ActiveSync to sync everything, which in this case includes your mail.

The bigger design flaw is that ActiveSync is all encompassing. IMHO syncing e-mail should be done separately from everything else.

Hmm, I thought there was a setting somewhere in ActiveSync to tell it NOT to sync when a device was connected. I don't sync via ActiveSync (got fed up with all the problems/glitches/bugs a *LONG* time ago), so I can't see all the options anymore.

Even if you turned off the automatic sync when connected (if there is such an option), you will most likely trigger an e-mail sync when you tell it to manually sync.

I think your only options are:
    1. Live with it
    2. Don't do a sync to your PC
    3. Don't have e-mail setup on your 800w

Anyway, lets not turn this thread into a troubleshooting thread. If you want to continue this bump your other thread (that you linked to) and we can continue the discussion there.
    Not trying to disturb the integrity of this thread, but I don't have mail set as an option in ActiveSync. ActiveSync is not all encompassing, it has options for things that should or should not be synced. I don't have mail selected on my device or desktop for syncing.

This is a bug, but if it's not welcome here I'll say no more about it here in your thread.
    Not trying to disturb the integrity of this thread, but I don't have mail set as an option in ActiveSync. ActiveSync is not all encompassing, it has options for things that should or should not be synced. I don't have mail selected on my device or desktop for syncing.

This is a bug, but if it's not welcome here I'll say no more about it here in your thread.
    I have POP and IMAP accounts on my device and set to manual. They only get mail when I initiate it. I have never had them 'get mail' when I plug in my cable and ActiveSync starts up. Of course, I may be missing something.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast