Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ebag, thought I'd feed you a cookie since this thread hasn't seen much action lately...

I believe that the bug with wifi turned on and the speaker crackling/popping is a real bug (although probably a hardware bug). I definitely get this when using SlingPlayer, now that it's working. Even with the volume way down, I can hear the crackling/popping so I don't believe it's an issue of it being too loud. And if I plug in the headset, the noises immediately disappear. I haven't tried this with other apps yet.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Ebag, thought I'd feed you a cookie since this thread hasn't seen much action lately...

I believe that the bug with wifi turned on and the speaker crackling/popping is a real bug (although probably a hardware bug). I definitely get this when using SlingPlayer, now that it's working. Even with the volume way down, I can hear the crackling/popping so I don't believe it's an issue of it being too loud. And if I plug in the headset, the noises immediately disappear. I haven't tried this with other apps yet.
    You and your filthy lies! That's a fake bug! I won't fall for it again!

(Yeah, you deserve that one. )

So to clarify, if Wifi is on and you are using the speakerphone to play music, you hear crackling/popping? Active (in use) Wifi connection, or idle? Wifi connected to a network, or just on? All apps or just SlingPlayer?

I'm gonna test this out right now with WM Player...

/me edits

All tests done with Windows Media Player.

Wifi on, not connected to a network:
    No crackling/popping heard

Wifi on, connecting to a network:

Wifi on, connected to a network (no data use):

Wifi on, connected to a network (data in use):

(Not saying that you don't experience this, but could it possible be a weird bug with SlingPlayer? Wifi can eat up some resources, so maybe that's causing SlingPlayer to "skip" a bit? Or maybe there's some sort of weird hardware issue you have were the Wifi power wires are too close to your speakerphone and/or wires?)
    Last edited by Ebag333; 12/24/2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You and your filthy lies! That's a fake bug! I won't fall for it again!

(Yeah, you deserve that one. )

So to clarify, if Wifi is on and you are using the speakerphone to play music, you hear crackling/popping? Active (in use) Wifi connection, or idle? Wifi connected to a network, or just on? All apps or just SlingPlayer?

I'm gonna test this out right now with WM Player...

/me edits

All tests done with Windows Media Player.

Wifi on, not connected to a network:

Wifi on, connecting to a network:

Wifi on, connected to a network (no data use):

Wifi on, connected to a network (data in use):

(Not saying that you don't experience this, but could it possible be a weird bug with SlingPlayer? Wifi can eat up some resources, so maybe that's causing SlingPlayer to "skip" a bit? Or maybe there's some sort of weird hardware issue you have were the Wifi power wires are too close to your speakerphone and/or wires?)
    Lol, I know my cred is shot when claiming bugs from here on out, but what can I do...

Streaming SlingPlayer over wifi is when I notice it, so wifi is definitely in use. Like I said, I intentionally turned the volume down and put my ear to the phone to see if I could hear the crackle and it was still there. It could be just SlingPlayer, but I haven't verified it with any other programs yet. Although I occasionally stream music over wifi, I usually don't use the speakerphone.

I'll see if I can reproduce it with other players...

FWIW, I did not notice this with my first 800w.
  4.    #44  
    Hmm....okay, that's rather weird.

My first thought is that you have something weird going on with your phone, and you should swap it out. Especially if you didn't notice it with your first 800w. Unfortunately I don't have SlingPlayer installed/setup, so I can't test it myself.

Perhaps someone else with SlingPlayer can chime in....

/me edits

Okay, this is rather obscure, but I seem to recall a similar bug in another streaming program, that when streaming over WiFi (and only WiFi) you'd get crackling/popping. Orb maybe? Sorry, it was something that I read in passing and I don't remember specifics on it.
    Hmm....okay, that's rather weird.

My first thought is that you have something weird going on with your phone, and you should swap it out. Especially if you didn't notice it with your first 800w. Unfortunately I don't have SlingPlayer installed/setup, so I can't test it myself.

Perhaps someone else with SlingPlayer can chime in....

/me edits

Okay, this is rather obscure, but I seem to recall a similar bug in another streaming program, that when streaming over WiFi (and only WiFi) you'd get crackling/popping. Orb maybe? Sorry, it was something that I read in passing and I don't remember specifics on it.
    For now, treat this as NOT a bug. I tested some large file transfers over wifi and tried to reproduce this using different players and it only seems to affect Slingplayer when the speakerphone is being used.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    For now, treat this as NOT a bug. I tested some large file transfers over wifi and tried to reproduce this using different players and it only seems to affect Slingplayer when the speakerphone is being used.
    Thanks for not leaving me hanging!

On another note I added the PRL bug to the bug list. Shame on you all for not bringing that to my attention sooner.
    Do consider adding the 911 lockout bug and this reg edit workaround

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=30

deleting these two keys worked:

HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout (xxxxxxxx)
    hklm\software\microsoft\today\items\"active call"\emergency_hwind
    (xxxxxxxxx)

absent regedit, hard reset.

It was on the old bug list discussion
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Do consider adding the 911 lockout bug and this reg edit workaround
    Added.

See, that wasn't so hard, now was it?
  9.    #49  
    I've added an occurrence to the bug list. There's 4 basic categories:

Always: Will always happen on all devices, without fail.
    Common: Usually happens, easy to replicate.
    Moderate: Along the lines of a 50/50 chance of happening. May not be easily replicated.
    Rare: Doesn't happen very often. Most likely almost impossible to replicate.

This hopefully should help give users an idea of the impact of the issue.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I've added an occurrence to the bug list...
    Very helpful. Thanks.
    I've added an occurrence to the bug list. There's 4 basic categories:

Always: Will always happen on all devices, without fail.
    Common: Usually happens, easy to replicate.
    Moderate: Along the lines of a 50/50 chance of happening. May not be easily replicated.
    Rare: Doesn't happen very often. Most likely almost impossible to replicate.
    This hopefully should help give users an idea of the impact of the issue.
    That is reasonable. The list looks better. Thank you.
    My phone won't wake after charging fully and sometimes won't turn w/o a soft reset. I am having the same issue.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlmer Bear View Post
    My phone won't wake after charging fully and sometimes won't turn w/o a soft reset. I am having the same issue.
    What have you done to troubleshoot this?

Not saying it's not a potentially valid bug, but I've found (personally) that this is generally caused by software issues. When my phone was doing the won't turn on without a soft reset, it was due to something weird with Treo Alerts (possibly the LED program).
    Any new updates on the mail thing?

After this last hard reset my phone battery drains and i've narrowed it down to the email. I have email set to manual now and whenever i look at my phone it shows it's connected to the net. It also gets emails instantly when i get them (i get them on my notebook while i'm sitting right here) so i know the phone is constnatly downloading mail while it's on manual.
  15.    #55  
    If it's downloading mail, it's not on manual.....
    If it's downloading mail, it's not on manual.....
    ya, that's what i thought too. So far we're ok for today. I'll see how it goes.
    I have very few programs on my Treo. G-Alarm, WP, Opera, Skyfire and Google Maps. The phone will not wake up sometimes. This occurs after charging overnight or just lack activity during the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Possible Bug: All sound is killed simply by receiving, sending, receiving a txt message
    I am able to re-produce this on my setup. A hardreset will eliminate any possibility that my setup is the cause, but without hard-resetting just yet, can someone test this also?

Try these steps and let me know your findings.

1. Soft-reset phone (not necessary, but it leaves no apps actively running)
    2. Press the Windows logo should bring up the Start menu, but note it also make a sound right? It should, and the following steps will cause it, and all other sounds to stop.
    3. Without opening any other applications or making a call, send yourself a txt message and press OKs to go back to the main screen (or have someone else send you one)
    4. Press the red button to turn off the screen
    5. Wait about 5 minutes after receiving the sms notification beep
    6. Turn phone on, and check the txt message, reply back to it with anything and press OKs until you're back at the main screen
    7. Again, press red button to turn off screen
    8. Wait about 5 minutes after getting the sms notification beep
    9. Turn phone on, and check the txt message
    10. Now, press the Windows logo to bring up the Start menu...did the sound play?

On my setup all sounds will stop working, rings, notifications, all! Even going into CorePlayer to play a video pops up "Error: Wave Output: Device Error!"

The only way to get sound back I've found is to soft-reset or go into Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Manage and play any tone...pressing the Windows button will suddenly play the sound again.
    This was one of the reasons why I got rid of my 800w back when it came out. Unless I over looked it I'm surprised no one knows why it happens and or a fix by now. The most important thing to me is to be able to hear my phone ring. lol
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    This was one of the reasons why I got rid of my 800w back when it came out. Unless I over looked it I'm surprised no one knows why it happens and or a fix by now. The most important thing to me is to be able to hear my phone ring. lol
    IIRC that was never replicated. I've certainly never experienced it myself.

The default ringer is very quiet. Using your own makes a big difference.
    IIRC that was never replicated. I've certainly never experienced it myself.

The default ringer is very quiet. Using your own makes a big difference.
    It's actually the opposite for me. The default ringers are loud but some of my ringers that I got from web are low. I remember making louder ringers before but I just thought that it would have been fixed by now. Looks like I'm not the only one that is having the issue.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...l-silence.html
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast