Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JohnH59, I guess we can talk in the old thread if you want. Since we're not supposed to talk about it here. Might be that since you have more than one type of mail setup, that you're not able to trigger the bug.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    This is a bug, but if it's not welcome here I'll say no more about it here in your thread.
    As I said, it doesn't appear to be a bug but the way ActiveSync handles e-mail.

I've posted a reply to this at: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...93#post1526208

It's not a matter of "not welcome here", but I'd like to keep troubleshooting out of this thread if at all possible. Part of the problem of the old bug thread is that there are almost 100 posts to wade through, many of which are off topic or complaints about things that have nothing to do with the purpose of a bug thread. I'd like to keep this one as short and moderated as possible, so if we can keep this self moderated than I don't have to beg Dieter to take time out of his extremely busy day to clean up the thread.

If you can show me how it's a bug (and it meets the 5 criteria listed at the top of the thread) then I'll add it. Since it's ActiveSync it'd fall under the MS bug list (rather than the Palm/800w one), but I'll be more than happy to include it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Now if you want to put together the sort of FAQ that you're describing (more of a Q/A FAQ) and maintain it, I'll link to it from the stickied FAQ.
    LOL, I was ducking even before I hit the "Submit Reply" button, cause I knew that was coming!

Clearly, your thread, your prerogative. It's all good...
    Possible Bug: All sound is killed simply by receiving, sending, receiving a txt message
    I am able to re-produce this on my setup. A hardreset will eliminate any possibility that my setup is the cause, but without hard-resetting just yet, can someone test this also?

Try these steps and let me know your findings.

1. Soft-reset phone (not necessary, but it leaves no apps actively running)
    2. Press the Windows logo should bring up the Start menu, but note it also make a sound right? It should, and the following steps will cause it, and all other sounds to stop.
    3. Without opening any other applications or making a call, send yourself a txt message and press OKs to go back to the main screen (or have someone else send you one)
    4. Press the red button to turn off the screen
    5. Wait about 5 minutes after receiving the sms notification beep
    6. Turn phone on, and check the txt message, reply back to it with anything and press OKs until you're back at the main screen
    7. Again, press red button to turn off screen
    8. Wait about 5 minutes after getting the sms notification beep
    9. Turn phone on, and check the txt message
    10. Now, press the Windows logo to bring up the Start menu...did the sound play?

On my setup all sounds will stop working, rings, notifications, all! Even going into CorePlayer to play a video pops up "Error: Wave Output: Device Error!"

The only way to get sound back I've found is to soft-reset or go into Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Manage and play any tone...pressing the Windows button will suddenly play the sound again.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 11/24/2008 at 10:10 PM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Possible Bug: All sound is killed simply by receiving, sending, receiving a txt message
    Tried replicating it, no luck. But I am using poutlook, not Palm's threaded messaging app.

If you can replicate this every single time, I would try backing up, hard resetting, then seeing if it occurs with factory settings. If it does, sounds like there's a bug in the threaded Palm messaging app.

Do you have a notification/alert program of some sort? That could be attempting to kick off a sound alert that doesn't exist (or is setup wrong) and killing the sound card drivers.

(Thanks for the very clear steps on how to replicate, by the way. Very helpful! )
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    I have this same "bug". I can't say if it meets all 5 of your criteria since it hasn't been addressed by Palm. And for those that think it's actually syncing mail, it's not. It is causing a send/receive on the 800w. I can tell because it is downloading mail newer than what is on my computer. So in effect, they are out of sync. I too have all phone e-mail setting set to manual. Since it is not obeying those settings, I call that a bug. Not a feature, unwanted or otherwise.
    This is not a bug.
    I have used WM phones since the Hitachi G1000 running pocket pc 2002 and all of them have done this. I also have all accounts set to manual and I donot even use Outlook on my desktop, I use Act.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Is this a bug?

When doing a soft reset with the phone connected to a computer, it locks up on the palm screen. This is annoying if you have sprite backup set to automatically backup. I have to remember to unhook my phone the night before my weekly backup but typically I forget and wake up to a phone with a dead battery.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
  8.    #28  
    Is this a bug?

When doing a soft reset with the phone connected to a computer, it locks up on the palm screen. This is annoying if you have sprite backup set to automatically backup. I have to remember to unhook my phone the night before my weekly backup but typically I forget and wake up to a phone with a dead battery.
    I asked Palm about it and they said it was intentionally done to help reduce possible bad ROM flashes (phone resetting before flash is all the way done). Basically when the phone is hooked up to a computer, the computer can still access the phone without WM booting all the way.

It's a good point, and is incredibly annoying to me. I'll throw it on the list, with a caveat of the comment above.

Good catch!
    Last edited by Ebag333; 11/25/2008 at 11:18 AM.
    I asked Palm about it and they said it was intentionally done to help reduce possible bad ROM flashes (phone resetting before flash is all the way done). Basically when the phone is hooked up to a computer, the computer can still access the phone without WM booting all the way.

It's a good point, and is incredibly annoying to me. I'll throw it on the list, with a caveat of the comment above.

Good catch!

That sounds like a lame excuse on Palm's part. I work for a software company and hear those lame excuses for crap in my product all the time from programmers. They cannot handle the word "bug" and waste a lot of time arguing about them instead of fixing them.

I only remembered this one because this morning my phone was totally dead because I forgot to unhook it and it stops charging when that happens. This is usually the only time I have to use my spare battery thankfully.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
  10.    #30  
    That sounds like a lame excuse on Palm's part. I work for a software company and hear those lame excuses for crap in my product all the time from programmers. They cannot handle the word "bug" and waste a lot of time arguing about them instead of fixing them.

I only remembered this one because this morning my phone was totally dead because I forgot to unhook it and it stops charging when that happens. This is usually the only time I have to use my spare battery thankfully.
    It's a lame excuse until it saves you from a bad flash.

Seriously though, it makes a lot of sense to me. Coming from a perspective of having developed custom ROM's, and seeing flashes go bad due to exactly this, I can understand why Palm would try and alleviate the problem.

Waking up to a dead phone is really annoying. Having a phone go bad due to WM starting up and interrupting the flashing process is "a very bad thing".

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, or that it's not a bug that Palm is calling a feature. All I'm saying is that's that reason Palm gave me, and I find it a believable one.
    I found a couple more, not critical bugs during this weekend. I don't care whether you include these in "the list", but I'm reporting them here in case anyone runs into them.

Hard Reset Bug
    After initiating a hard-reset, my Treo hung during bootup. I've reproduced this twice, obviously since it followed a hard reset, this is a stock system.

After selecting yes for "Erase Data", the phone reset and only came up partially, the title bar was blue but the screen was green (or maybe it was the other way around). It hung (I waited for 10 minutes) and it never got to the "Tap the screen to set up your device" etc. The USB cable was not plugged in at the time.

I did a second hard reset, and the second time it came up just fine.

Dialpad Bug
    This is a very minor but amusing bug. Reproducible on a stock system. Bring up the dial pad, and then hit one of the volume keys on the side to bring up the volume control bubble. While the volume control bubble is still showing, tap the '6' key on the screen. It should "skin" some of your dialpad buttons orange when the volume bubble disappears.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I found a couple more, not critical bugs during this weekend. I don't care whether you include these in "the list", but I'm reporting them here in case anyone runs into them.
    Thanks for posting them. (Smarmy comments aside. )

Hard Reset Bug
    After initiating a hard-reset, my Treo hung during bootup. I've reproduced this twice, obviously since it followed a hard reset, this is a stock system.

After selecting yes for "Erase Data", the phone reset and only came up partially, the title bar was blue but the screen was green (or maybe it was the other way around). It hung (I waited for 10 minutes) and it never got to the "Tap the screen to set up your device" etc. The USB cable was not plugged in at the time.

I did a second hard reset, and the second time it came up just fine.
    I had this happen a few times. Most of the time I just hard reset again, but a few times I've let it sit (it was 15+ minutes easy between when I walked away and when I checked it again) and the setup screen did come up. I don't know if those times were actually the problem that you saw, or if it was just a bit slower than normal.

Dialpad Bug
    This is a very minor but amusing bug. Reproducible on a stock system. Bring up the dial pad, and then hit one of the volume keys on the side to bring up the volume control bubble. While the volume control bubble is still showing, tap the '6' key on the screen. It should "skin" some of your dialpad buttons orange when the volume bubble disappears.
    I was wondering when someone would find this!

The .DLL for the dialpad has both blue and orange skins in it. It seems that Palm somehow displays one over the other, or something goofy like that.

There are also alternate versions of the voicemail icon (on the 1 button), in case you want the old school icons instead of them newfangled ones.

/me edits

I added these two bugs and tweaked the layout a bit to make it easier to read, as it was a bit difficult to find specific issues.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 11/30/2008 at 08:48 PM.
    Thanks for posting them. (Smarmy comments aside. )
    wat

I don't know what you found smarmy, but you're welcome, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    I am able to re-produce this on my setup. A hardreset will eliminate any possibility that my setup is the cause, but without hard-resetting just yet, can someone test this also?
    I understand what you are describing but I cannot replicate this myself. I do lose sound if I am playing music whether a local mp3 or a stream for about 5 seconds when receiving an sms message but it always comes right back on its own. I've never had it completely stop altogether.
    Phone displays a "rainbow screen" of lines. Screen flickers on and off at random.
    Workaround: Soft reset.
    [
    In Palm's Maps program (Programs->Maps), if you search for a multiple instance item, eg "usps", "fedex", "citibank" the first couple of times you execute a search the results are sorted by distance order. After that they are random, often returning very great distances and place closer instances further down or not reporting them at all.
    Workaround: Soft reset.
    Just a couple of corrections to consider.

1) On the rainbow lines, a soft reset doesn't always fix this repeatedly occurring even with stock set up.

I guess it is a problem with the way we define bugs to exclude things not occurring in every device.

But you should mark this as sometimes a transient fixable with soft reset and for some handsets a permanent problem that is a known issue with Sprint for which users should get warranty replacement. Sprint has this as a known that bad 800w hardware can also cause this problem an dit is an issue for which they will rma.

2) You can get the distance on the maps to be fixed with a soft reset? I cannot with multiple handsets.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Just a couple of corrections to consider.

1) On the rainbow lines, a soft reset doesn't always fix this repeatedly occurring even with stock set up.

I guess it is a problem with the way we define bugs to exclude things not occurring in every device.

But you should mark this as sometimes a transient fixable with soft reset and for some handsets a permanent problem that is a known issue with Sprint for which users should get warranty replacement. Sprint has this as a known that bad 800w hardware can also cause this problem an dit is an issue for which they will rma.
    Bad hardware is above and beyond the purpose of the bug list.

While yes, you are correct that this can be one of the symptoms the phone gives when there are hardware issues, that is exactly that, a hardware issue and not a software one.

There are some other things that can be issues that would need an RMA. For example hanging on the Palm screen, which is usually caused by the USB cable being plugged in (but can be caused by a corrupted ROM/NV/etc, which needs an RMA to "fix").

If we included every possible scenario that could result in an RMA, the list would be rather long, ranging from soft rebooting on it's own, to won't boot, to "strange random issues".

In those cases it's far better for a person to post up about it, and go through the specific scenario so that the folks here can assist. I've seen quite a few cases where people have thought they had a defective device, and it's turned out not to be (even recently, like when Zbop thought that his display drivers were going out and it turned out to be my RealVGA that killed it ).

Now Zbop had some other issues going on, so I think that RMAing his device was the smart way to go. But that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, the bug list is really intended for things that normal 800w's do that they shouldn't. If we start including in all the things that defective 800w's do that they shouldn't, then the list will become huge in size and include in a lot of false positive things (such as the case with Zbop's 800w and RealVGA). I'd hate to see someone take the time and effort (and often cost) to send back a phone that's working perfectly fine, when it's not actually the device that is defective but is something they've installed or done.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    2) You can get the distance on the maps to be fixed with a soft reset? I cannot with multiple handsets.
    Well....truth be told I actually can't really replicate this.

The distance is only in order to a certain extent. It's never been 100% accurate as to the order to distance for me (though it is generally accurate, IE: 7/10ths of the list are in order of distance and 3/10ths aren't).

I have noticed that my results sometimes change after a soft reset, but they don't seem to be any better or worse than before.

I half suspect that the Maps application is simply coded poorly, and the algorithm used for sorting does so inaccurately, poorly, or based on more criteria than simply distance (IE: maybe sorting based on the "relevancy" of the search, followed by distance, which would put more "relevant" results that are farther away closer to the top).

There are far far far better programs out there than the Map's program (Live or Google Maps). I should really put the resolution as "Don't use Palm's Map's application."
    In those cases it's far better for a person to post up about it, and go through the specific scenario so that the folks here can assist. I've seen quite a few cases where people have thought they had a defective device, and it's turned out not to be (even recently, like when Zbop thought that his display drivers were going out and it turned out to be my RealVGA that killed it ).

Now Zbop had some other issues going on, so I think that RMAing his device was the smart way to go. But that's neither here nor there.
    Your point is taken, but RealVGA is actually a bad example; it's the exception rather than the rule.

I mean, how many apps (short of a custom ROM) can hose your device in such a dramatic way?

I do agree that people should post about it; I find it slightly odd that others have run into it (including yourself), but didn't post.

EDIT: And I do agree that I have some other hardware issues going on (i.e. the radio). I did not RMA the device because of the RealVGA problem, my ringer switch was broken so it was easy to justify getting a replacement.
    Last edited by zbop; 12/18/2008 at 11:59 AM.
  18.    #38  
    Your point is taken, but RealVGA is actually a bad example; it's the exception rather than the rule.

I mean, how many apps (short of a custom ROM) can hose your device in such a dramatic way?
    Surprisingly quite a few.

As a simple example I've installed some programs that didn't support 240x240 (on my 700wx), and since they started when the phone booted they jacked up everything, forcing me to hard reset to get out of it.

I've had similar issues (though not quite that bad) with the 800w, usually a soft reset will get out of it.

But even changing a few registry values can really screw up your phone or cause very strange behavior. I've seen plenty of that working with the custom ROM's and trying to port programs.
    Bad hardware is above and beyond the purpose of the bug list.

While yes, you are correct that this can be one of the symptoms the phone gives when there are hardware issues, that is exactly that, a hardware issue and not a software one.
    Perhaps it would be helpful to asterix the bug not and then footnote that this rainbow lines problem is sometimes a transient/bug and but if users are seeing it repeatedly with hard reset stock set up they may have a hardware problem.

Otherwise users who do have a bad device and get this repeatedly on stock setup may think it is normal bug.

In my case I literally had two devices with the same setups. one was doing this all the time and one not. I thought I may have a corrupt file on one of the programs I loaded. so I took the one that was doing it all the time to hard reset stock and remaining at stock over the next couple of days it continued to do this.

If you don't make a note someone searching for the problem may come to the conclusion it is normal and it is not. In fact the only time I saw it again with my new handsets is with a bad gpsgate exit.
    My phone is having an issue with turning on. I press the power button 100 times, hold it down and the phone doesnt turn on. The only way I can get my screen to turn on is if I soft reset or someone sends an sms message.

Has anyone else experience this?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast