1.    #1  
    New to Windows Mobile...

Is there a way to quickly "X" out of a program other than clicking on the "X" in the top right corner?

I've been using the END button but it seems that leaves the program running in the background.

Thanks
    Even pressing the 'X' sometimes doesn't close out a program. So,unless there is a menu item then no...

One option is to hold down the 'ok' button (shortcut to task manager) and end the task.
    I use QuickMenu - it takes over the Start Menu button - to close an application with it, highlight the application to be closed and then scroll to the right with the 5-way button.
    I highly reccomend wisbar lite. I have it configured to minimize program when hitting okay- but close on a 1 second hold. It also has the ability to show icons in the top taskbar of programs which are running. So I can see if something is open that doesnt need to be. (I can hide the icons for activesync, email, etc- things that I dont mind being open)

One of the few programs I absolutely could not live without.

I think it is $5.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I have to agree with Les Anderson. I have been using wisbar lite since my ppc 6700 and it is lightweight and the task manager is very good.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Les and Painter-

Any issues with WBLite on the 800w?

I own it, but haven't used it for some time. Perhaps I'll give it another shot. (I'm currently using PocketPlus, but I never really liked it's minimalist task manager.)
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Press 'OK'. If you want to really close the program, quickly, try a program called AE Button+. Then set it up as follows, assign the 'OK' for single press 'OK/Close', double press 'Task manager', Long Press 'Close Active Program'.
    Wisbar lite works so well it almost seems as if the code was specifically written for the 800.

The icons that show for open programs in the taskbar is what sets it apart from most others I have seen.

It can be a tad trickey to configure- so dont hesitate to ask or pm me.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Thanks, Les. I've installed, dug out my old code, and have been using it. Seems pretty solid, so far on my 800w.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  10.    #10  
    Just out of curiosity, when you "X" out of a program, why doesn't it exit the program instead of minimizing it?

Is it a WM or Palm bug?
    Ahh... you have to ask Microsoft for that piece of wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when you "X" out of a program, why doesn't it exit the program instead of minimizing it?

Is it a WM or Palm bug?
    WM is truly multithreaded unlike Palm OS.

There are plenty of times when I'm downloading a webpage (or file) and want to continue downloading while I go check my calender, or use the calculator quick. With POS you can't do that, you can only have one thing running at a time. With WM, I load up whatever I need to use and when I go back to PIE, it's done downloading whatever I requested.

WM has some smart logic in it to help keep memory free. If you've run lots of different programs, and it starts to run out of memory, it'll start removing the old programs from memory (RAM) to free up space for the new ones.

It's not perfect, of course. If you run a program that's a memory hog and doesn't play well with the OS (such as not closing down when politely requested to) then you can run out of space or bog down the device. It's pretty easy to tell what sort of applications do this, and just make sure you close them down manually when you are done using them.

I almost never manually close programs through Task Manager. WM does a pretty fair job of keeping the programs I need and use alive, while closing the ones I don't need down.

WM 6.1 is way better at managing memory than WM 5 (but IMHO WM5 is better than WM6).
    To sum it all up for you RealDeal71, the X in the corner does not close the program, it basically minimizes it to the background. Without installing additional third party programs or constantly having to perform soft resets as a result of related issues, I think that the best method (at least for me) is to just get into the habit of opening Task Manager and closing them out manually. It only takes a second. To open Task Manager, either hold down the OK button for a few seconds and it will open or press Options + OK (the options key is the button next to Z with just a white block on it). Scroll down, End Task, and done.
    Magic Button (Freeware)