Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow!

I used to post here back in the days of way back, when I dropped what was then a ton of cash on an unlocked 600. I deeply loved that phone, and loved the 680 all the more when I got myself one as an Xmas gift when it first came out. Gotta admit, tho, I felt abandoned by the Palm OS eventually, so my attention wondered to the iPhone, which in many ways I feel is the technological successor to the Zen of Palm OS.

WinMo I used back on an HP Jornada and v5, but nothing since then. Less Zen, if I remember, and more pure power.

So am I hopelessly out of touch? What's the latest generation like?

What do I absolutely have to do first? Any tips and tricks to share with a Treo Pro N00b?

Any must-get apps? Anything to utterly avoid?

(And remember, this is an official Smartphone Experts Round Robin Thread! Every day you post here, you get entered for a chance to win a Treo Pro and Accessories! -- Get all the details here!)
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Not sure what all you want to do with the phone, but my list of must-haves include:
    -phatnotes for notetaking
    -TCPMP or Coreplayer for media
    -Resco Photo Viewer
    -pTravelAlarm for a nice alarm program
    -ePocrates if you are in the medical field
    -Magic Button, SPB Pocket Plus (beta version) for improving the Today screen
    -SPB diary for more today screen goodness
    -Marsware WeatherPanel for weather on the Today screen
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    This thread should get you started:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=apps
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    What sorts of things do you want to be able to accomplish with the Treo Pro? What sorts of things do you do now on your iPhone that you would like to try and replicate with the Treo Pro?

I have a Treo Pro and an iPod Touch so I've got a hybrid going at the moment. Other than not using it as phone, I more or less get to compare features side by side.
    Read the 'New to Pro? - Read this' Sticky.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, but... um... er... are you folks not getting the concept of this contest??

I'm not Googling, I'm not thrashing through other threads, I'm here, begging for help, and giving you a chance to WIN A TREO PRO!

LOL! Jeepers! I appreciate links to TC content that will help, believe me, but I need your opinions, your feedback, your current, fresh, fantastic experiences!

So, to beg again...

How do I get my PIM data across? I have calendars in both Exchange and MobileMe, contacts in MobileMe, email in Exchange, Gmail, and MobileMe, and... er... I'm an iPhone guy so I have no way to sync Tasks or Notes anyway, so no worries there

Dieter is demanding we try to do everything over the air, so I'm guessing ActiveSync is my best bet? Not sure what to do with MobileMe though...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    To sync your PIM data, set-up your exchange server on the activesync menu & watch it's magic do it's work... or not :-)
    These are my must have:

Resco Explorer 2008, Registry Editor and Today Plugin
    Mobipocket Reader
    Guitar Hero Mobile (Rocks!)
    Kevtris
    Gmail java applet
    Soft Key Manager
    Tiny Twitter or PockeTwit (scroll iphone like)
    TwitToday - just awesome! Allows you to tweet from your today screen
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    I felt abandoned by the Palm OS eventually, so my attention wondered to the iPhone, which in many ways I feel is the technological successor to the Zen of Palm OS.

WinMo I used back on an HP Jornada and v5, but nothing since then. Less Zen, if I remember, and more pure power.
    There are ways of getting closer to your iPhone experience. If you've tried any of the TouchFlo phones from HTC, there's a version of TouchFlo that was modded specifically for the Treo Pro. I posted a link to the installation files & instructions in the "TouchFlo 2D for the Treo Pro" thread. There are a couple of things that don't work as they do on native installations. But, if you're like me, you may not miss things you weren't used to in the first place.
    Thanks, but... um... er... are you folks not getting the concept of this contest??

I'm not Googling, I'm not thrashing through other threads, I'm here, begging for help, and giving you a chance to WIN A TREO PRO!

LOL! Jeepers! I appreciate links to TC content that will help, believe me, but I need your opinions, your feedback, your current, fresh, fantastic experiences!

So, to beg again...

How do I get my PIM data across? I have calendars in both Exchange and MobileMe, contacts in MobileMe, email in Exchange, Gmail, and MobileMe, and... er... I'm an iPhone guy so I have no way to sync Tasks or Notes anyway, so no worries there

Dieter is demanding we try to do everything over the air, so I'm guessing ActiveSync is my best bet? Not sure what to do with MobileMe though...
    Well in your initial post, you didn't tell us what exactly you wanted. Hopefully you now know how to sync your PIM data. Is there anything else? Media players? Games? Just let us know. We can help.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
  11. JwY
    For PIM, I think Pocket Informant is a must have.
    Well where is your email and calendar stored now? Outlook? Google? Hotmail? Tell us and we can tell you how to sync with it OTA.

As usual: Get Opera Mini, Resco Explorer and Kinoma Play (or FreePlay). I'll second Pocket Informant (or AgendagOne) to replace the calendar app.

I can't be bothered to retype the list of useful apps AGAIN especially since I'll bet living in the UK bars me from winning anything. In fact I think it's damaging to the forums to encourage reposting of information because at some point there will be a top tip that people won't see because it gets posted in one of several megathreads. It won't help searchers at all.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    I can't be bothered to retype the list of useful apps AGAIN especially since I'll bet living in the UK bars me from winning anything.
    Neither me here on the other side of both Atlantic and Pacific.
    However, I've updated my "Treo Pro customizing" wiki page since the last round-robin editor dropped by, so I'll repost my list ...
    Must Have
    1. RealVGA 1.1 (fw) 96dpi & 128dpi mode
    2. ResPack96dpi + ipsecvpnres.96.dll
    3. Total Commander 2.51 (fw) {gc} explorer, regeditor
    4. CLaunch 12.04 + claunch.dat (fw/os) {w} today screen, apps launcher (needs 96dpi mode for editing)
    5. TodayAgenda 1.5 (fw) {ti}
    6. Blade Wiki 3.4.8 (fw) personal mobile wiki
    7. HandyShopper 3.0.7 build 4525 (fw) shopping list, database
    8. Nokia Intellisync 8.0 - SyncClient.cab (cw) OTA sync to lotus notes server

Nice To Have
    1. ScreenCapture Ilium 1.1 (sw)
    2. FdcSoft PPCPimBackup 2.8 (fw)
    3. SkyBook (Snap2Face) 1.0 (fw)
    4. PHM Reset (fw)
    5. Batti 2.4 (fw/os) {gc}
    6. FdcSoft Task Mgr 3.1 (fw) {fdc} apps, process, ping
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Haven't had a chance to use a touch pro, I would really like to get my hands on one here in the near future to see what all the fuss is about.
    Rene, you should be taking advantage of all the things that are void on the iphone.

Take picture of what your doing, what your seeing and send them to your friends via mms. Shoot a short video and email it so someone or a blog, have your friends start sending you pictures of what they are doing.
    Make a slide show and tell a story.

Get Tom Tom or some GPS system and go somewhere you've never been before, or even walk using GPS.

Leave your IM on the background so that your friends can contact you anytime for short chat.

Get pocket tunes deluxe and a rhapsody account where you can listen and download almost any music, whether you own it or not, legally.

Sit on the beach and tether your laptop and enjoy the waves while "surfing" at the same time.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Kinoma Play - should please all your media needs.. if you remember then from your POS days they are out really kick a** on WM.

I highly suggest File Explorer Extension also
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Rene, you should be taking advantage of all the things that are void on the iphone.

Take picture of what your doing, what your seeing and send them to your friends via mms. Shoot a short video and email it so someone or a blog, have your friends start sending you pictures of what they are doing.
    Make a slide show and tell a story.

Get Tom Tom or some GPS system and go somewhere you've never been before, or even walk using GPS.

Leave your IM on the background so that your friends can contact you anytime for short chat.

Get pocket tunes deluxe and a rhapsody account where you can listen and download almost any music, whether you own it or not, legally.

Sit on the beach and tether your laptop and enjoy the waves while "surfing" at the same time.
    LMAO great post
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Read the 'New to Pro? - Read this' Sticky.

So, to beg again...

The thread talks about getting your device set up just the way yuo want it. And then before trying new stuff to do a Sprite Backup. So you can do a Restore if things go wrong. That way you don't have to do hard reset.
    Just call me Berd.
    Rene, I didn't notice Kevin mentioning about cracks while he was using the TreoPro that is now with you. Could you check out that TreoPro for cracks around the buttons (volume and wifi)? Does it have any cracks? I'll feel more comfortable if after the "rough exercise" round robin editors impose on their smartphones, that TreoPro does not develop any cracks. Unfortunately, mine already have one crack near the wifi button.

Ref "Treo Pro body: Cracks or no cracks? Please vote and post details!" http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173784 thread.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I don't read about people using SplashID much anymore. Which is surprising to me. It is the first app that I install. Can't live without it. However, it doesn't sync over the air.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast