Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

GoTreo will be releasing its first Windows Mobile application early next week. We will be providing a new version of LauncherX for the Windows Mobile platform. LauncherX will replace the Start button interface with a graphical tab based user interface. This new interface will allow fast and easy access to all Windows Mobile applications, configuration settings, running applications and application data.

We are looking for people that are willing to test and provide feedback for this new application. If you would like to participate, please send your request to: support@GoTreoSoftware.com. Please include your Name, type of device you are using and your phone number.

We will be contacting users early next week with installation details.

Jeff
    GoTreo Software, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    All,

GoTreo will be releasing its first Windows Mobile application early next week. We will be providing a new version of LauncherX for the Windows Mobile platform. LauncherX will replace the Start button interface with a graphical tab based user interface. This new interface will allow fast and easy access to all Windows Mobile applications, configuration settings, running applications and application data.

We are looking for people that are willing to test and provide feedback for this new application. If you would like to participate, please send your request to: support@GoTreoSoftware.com. Please include your Name, type of device you are using and your phone number.

We will be contacting users early next week with installation details.

Jeff
    GoTreo Software, Inc.
    So, you had to finally make the move to WM.

Glad to see you.
    I will be sending you an email.
    Thanks.
    Just call me Berd.
    What a great surprise! Just sent my email. Yay! There is no wm launcher that I can really commit to. Either they lag a lot or use up my precious battery life
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
  4.    #4  
    Here is a sample screen shot of the initial beta:

Thoughts???

Jeff

Thoughts???

Jeff
    The gadget bar is a must!
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    Anything to make WM launching as easy as Palm launching! This is great!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Anything to make WM launching as easy as Palm launching! This is great!
    Thanks Alli!

It will hopefully be even easier than the Palm environment. Yesyou will be able to launcher programs from any tab or see all of your running programs from another tab. But my goal with this product is to also allow tab filtering so you can launch any application's data files (ie word, excel, pdf, music, video, etc) right from your favorite tab. LauncherX will know what applications you have on your device and will also know if those applications produce data files. The product has automatic tab filtering so you can say I want you to maintain all excel and/or word files in this tab and LauncherX will automatically discover these file types and show them in the tab. From there, you have one touch launching to launch the target application with the data from the file you launched.

You will hopefully never have to use the START menu ever again.

Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    The gadget bar is a must!
    The gadget bar of the Palm version of LX has been replaced by the TAP AND HOLD feature of WM. I found it is much easier to tap and hold than it is to drag and drop the file to a gadget bar.

Drag and drop is still supported to move an application within a tab and to move applications between tabs.

Jeff

Thoughts???

Jeff
    The huge size of the icons is kind of annoying -- I've got quite a few programs installed, and I much preferred the PalmOS's list view of applications...
    I hope you'll make the layout as beautiful as your SafeGuard software. The screenshot above may convince former Palm users, but by WM standards today this is unacceptable. This is Windows 3.1 layout in a Vista era...

As I'm not familiar with the Palm version of LauncherX, what does it have that the many available apps on WM don't have? Compared to SPB Pocket Plus, Vito Winterface, SPB Mobile Shell, etc.? Thanks for any insight.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    The huge size of the icons is kind of annoying -- I've got quite a few programs installed, and I much preferred the PalmOS's list view of applications...
    Small icon views are also available!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    I hope you'll make the layout as beautiful as your SafeGuard software. The screenshot above may convince former Palm users, but by WM standards today this is unacceptable. This is Windows 3.1 layout in a Vista era...

As I'm not familiar with the Palm version of LauncherX, what does it have that the many available apps on WM don't have? Compared to SPB Pocket Plus, Vito Winterface, SPB Mobile Shell, etc.? Thanks for any insight.
    The goal in this product is to totally replace the Start Menu interface of WM. The UI layout of WM is what you are seeing in the product. WM gives you very little ability to make it look "Vista" like.

What parts of the application picture above would you change? The colors of the tabs and the icons in the tap itself are all customizable. You can also use any pictures you have on your device as backgrounds for tabs. The tab interface itself is the standard WM tab interface and the application icons are the icons that each application has provided to represent the application.

I am very interested in everyone's impressions and optinions. I want this product to be used and accepted by the WM population.

Jeff
    You just nailed down the biggest problem with WM: there's no modern looking widget library from Microsoft, this is the same as from Windows 3.x. That's why the competition doesn't use the standard tab interface but recreate the same functionality with a fully skinnable interface. See example here: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    have to agree here 100%

Jeff,

If you're going to want this to be competitive (and your software has every potential as it some of the best out there), you're going to have to go deeper and overhaul the graphics.

While using the programming language and default libraries may be easier (and may even result in faster speeds), the simple utilitarian argument won't fly when you have offerings from SPB, Vito and all the TouchFlow 2d/3d users out there (including the majority who simply add it to their non-Diamond devices for free). Heck, even PointUI is free and looks fantastic. That's your competition.

People are going to want glossy, 3D, rounded graphics for icons, tabs, etc. Since I'm not a programmer, that's about as deep as I can go in the technical aspects.

Your team has the capability to do this, so hopefully you can find a way to keep the principle of LauncherX, but make it more modern looking.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15.    #15  
    I appreciate the feedback!

I understand what you are saying but all of the products you are mentioning don't have the power of this product. From everything I can see, they give you the ability to have shortcuts to applications and provide a nice looking UI. But what I have discovered about WM is that you can not easily find the data that goes with applications and it is very difficult to find and access what applications are currently running on the device. LauncherX provides the ability to directly access the data on your device from the launcher interface. Additioanlly, LX will be extremely fast with a small foot print.

Additionally, the applications that I have seen on the market don't appear to have the ability to group all applications and their data in easily accessed tabs. I am not saying that I am done with the UI but my design concepts are unique as compared to the competition.

Jeff
    Sorry Jeff, not to pile on, but I would echo the sentiments above.

For example, currently I have my "Start" key mapped to directly open up the Programs window, similar to yours above, so I'm not using the Start Menu. I don't have tabs, but I have folders in there (at the top) that approximate your tabs. You can also jump to the app you want by typing in the first few letters. And this is with the stock WM launcher.

I know there is more to your product than that, but from a first impression standpoint, it doesn't appear to be much different from what we have. And the other third-party today screen launchers have a higher eye-candy factor. I suspect that this will appeal more to people coming from PalmOS than existing WM users in it's current form (just from what little I've seen).

As Mal said, if you add some polish and throw in some touch/swipe navigation, people will flock to it
    I appreciate the feedback!

I understand what you are saying but all of the products you are mentioning don't have the power of this product. From everything I can see, they give you the ability to have shortcuts to applications and provide a nice looking UI. But what I have discovered about WM is that you can not easily find the data that goes with applications and it is very difficult to find and access what applications are currently running on the device. LauncherX provides the ability to directly access the data on your device from the launcher interface. Additioanlly, LX will be extremely fast with a small foot print.

Additionally, the applications that I have seen on the market don't appear to have the ability to group all applications and their data in easily accessed tabs. I am not saying that I am done with the UI but my design concepts are unique as compared to the competition.

Jeff
    If the intent is to provide search and direct access to everything, something similar to Spotlight on OSX, then I can definitely see that; the WM search function could be improved upon.
    Don't really like it. I greatly prefer the look and functionality of QuickMenu. It's also free which is very nice.
    Quick Menu looks a lot like Wisbar Lite, which I use. I may try QM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have to agree with the rest. i used your stuff for my palms phones when I had them and all were terriffic but if it has to look nice or there will not be much interest . SPB and Touch Flo with a few add ons can do all those things and they look nice . you got to make it look really nice and people will be all over t otherwise its not going to be an option for alot of folks. Theres to many free app out there that do all the things that you are mentening. But if its all in one AND looks real nice and customizable then I definatly will give it a try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast