Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've managed to crack the LED logic for the 800w; I'm posting a CAB that provides multicolor LED support and partial support for blink speeds (more on that later).

Note: If you want LED notification for voicemail, sms, & email, you need to wait until Hannip integrates this code into Treo Alert, look for an updated version here. The CAB attached below is primarily for anyone wanting to write their own notification scripts or if you are easily amused and just want to play with your LEDs

TreoLED v1.3

Description:
    This program allows you to set your LED state to blink different colors, different speeds, and even solid colors. This program sets the state through the driver and then exits, nothing runs in the background.

Install:
    Install just like any other cab file, a soft-reset is NOT required.

Usage:
    Select any of the LED states installed in the StartMenu->Programs->TreoLED folder. There is a "Demo" shortcut if you just want an idea of what it can do.

TreoLED also supports command-line arguments if you want to call it from Mortscript, for example:

TreoLED.exe [led-state]

where led-state is one of the following:
    off
    demo
    green-blink
    green-blink-fast
    green-blink-slow
    green-solid
    green-blink-turbo
    orange-blink
    orange-blink-fast
    orange-blink-slow
    orange-blink-turbo
    red-blink
    red-blink-fast
    red-blink-slow
    red-solid
    red-blink-turbo

Notes:
    This CAB file will work for the following Treo models: 700w[x], 750 & 800w, although not all modes work on all models. The only changes made in this version is 800w support.

The LED state is not preserved upon soft-reset, if you are writing a notification program, you will need to reset the state when booting up.

The LED driver has a bug where it does not properly preserve the LED blink rates during suspend. The blink rate will instead reset to the default rate while suspended, but it will resume the rate you chose when it wakes up. I'm looking for a creative way to fix this, perhaps in a future version.

The default orange blink rate is double that of green/red. This is done by the driver.

I don't believe this will work on a Treo Pro, but if you want to test it, PM me and I will build you a version to try (the CAB below does a device check and can't work on the Pro).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nice! Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I don't believe this will work on a Treo Pro, but if you want to test it, PM me and I will build you a version to try (the CAB below does a device check and can't work on the Pro).
    Booo. Device checks are bad.

Heck, I love to install stuff that specifically says "this will not work on your device."
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

Heck, I love to install stuff that specifically says "this will not work on your device."
    I would rather have that than install it and have it just not work. I often find myself saying (to my phone), "look! If I knew it didn't work with my phone, I wouldn't have wasted all this time trying to get it to work with my phone!"
    I'd be glad to try it on my Pro.
  6.    #6  

LOL, I have to assume you're kidding here Ebag...

While I would agree with you in the general case that software that restricts where it is installed or run, unnecessarily, is in fact bad. I too find that annoying. Btw, I don't restrict you from installing it or trying it on an unsupported model.

But this code in particular, by nature of of what it's doing, is extremely device-dependent, and supports multiple models, how on earth would you implement this without a device check?

To give you an idea how device-dependent it is, on the 700wx I bypass the kernel and the driver, and program the LED by poking hardware addresses through GPIO. The odds of that working on another device are umm, zero.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Thanks, give me a minute and I'll post one for you to try. It's highly unlikely that it will work, but worth a shot.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Here ya go... Skip the demo and just try the various combinations.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'll check it out too... The treo pro's LED is so small and dim it probably won't matter even if it does work.. you'd have to be looking directly at the device in very close range to see if it's actually doing anything or not

EDIT -- just tried it... nada
    Last edited by scottymomo; 11/21/2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Nothing

Thanks anyway
  11.    #11  
    Thanks guys, as expected. If I end up getting a Pro I'll revisit it then.

Scotty, does the beacon on the Treo Pro allow for any variations? (i.e. like on the Touch Pro?)
    Thanks guys, as expected. If I end up getting a Pro I'll revisit it then.

Scotty, does the beacon on the Treo Pro allow for any variations? (i.e. like on the Touch Pro?)
    Couldn't tell ya but don't think so on the face of it.. whether it's on or off seems to key off of:

"HKCU", "System\State\Messages\vmail\Total\Unread", "Count"

if it's 0 it's dark, if it's 1 or more it's turned on..usually...when the device goes to sleep it seems to have unexpected behavior.. or the script is when the device is asleep.. there might be more to it but I haven't done any digging zbop style (beyond my area of expertise...)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    is there a great risk of burning out the led if we constantly leave it on turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazment View Post
    is there a great risk of burning out the led if we constantly leave it on turbo.
    It may put you in a hypnotic state and make you do things that you don't normally do.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    It may put you in a hypnotic state and make you do things that you don't normally do.
    I knew zbop was doing that!
    zbop, I think there might be an issue. It hung once when turning off a orange-fast blink. Actually it didn't hang the phone, but it didn't seem to exit after it turned off the blink. I'll let you know if it happens again.
    well aside from getting a little dizzy my phone did burn up an extra 5% of battery in that 1.5 hours I had it set to turbo, with nothing else running aside from a couple text messages
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gazment View Post
    LED's are pretty hardy, think about how often the LEDs flash on your router, cable modem, or a hard drive indicator.

But LEDs do eventually burn out, so I would turn it off once you're done playing.
  19.    #19  
    I knew zbop was doing that!
    Oh no, my evil mind-control project has been uncovered...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    zbop, I think there might be an issue. It hung once when turning off a orange-fast blink. Actually it didn't hang the phone, but it didn't seem to exit after it turned off the blink. I'll let you know if it happens again.
    Thanks, I haven't run into that, but I'll try putting this stuff in a loop and see if I can reproduce it.

BTW, for the purposes of Treo Alert, you might want to list the following modes as recommended for the 800w:

red-blink
    green-blink
    orange-blink
    green-solid

The other blink rates and the red-solid do not exhibit consistent behavior between awake and suspended state, which may just confuse the users (this is the driver bug I mentioned).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast