Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Palm and any merchant should be given a reasonable amount of time to resolve an issue before someone concludes there's an unwillingness or inability to address the problem. Given the very short amount of time that has passed since the Pro's release and emergence of the cracking cases issue, it seems to me counter-productive at best and childish at worst to start making empty threats of legal action when Palm has clearly demonstrated it will replace a consumer's affected device while it researches the root cause. If that's not good enough for you, get your money back and go on your way. Otherwise, if after 6-12 months the problem is still out there it's more appropriate to contemplate legal action.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The point is not the suits per se, but the threat of them. The result of 30 tags and stickers on the ladder you buy at home depot saying "don't jump on this", "don't lean this on a high power line", "dont give this to your kids to play with" are, we all agree, idiotic to be sure, but when it comes to product warrant compliance against real defect they also they are a good and legitimate pressure. ...

I love it!!! I never thought of comparing falling off a ladder and breaking your neck to not being able to switch from one call to another on your mobile.

Let’s Sue ‘em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Palm and any merchant should be given a reasonable amount of time to resolve an issue before someone concludes there's an unwillingness or inability to address the problem. Given the very short amount of time that has passed since the Pro's release and emergence of the cracking cases issue, it seems to me counter-productive at best and childish at worst to start making empty threats of legal action when Palm has clearly demonstrated it will replace a consumer's affected device while it researches the root cause. If that's not good enough for you, get your money back and go on your way. Otherwise, if after 6-12 months the problem is still out there it's more appropriate to contemplate legal action.

I think that is good point and one most will agree with. It is certainly too early for anyone to contact a litigating firm. I would say however the threat of legal action is hardly "empty." It is pretty compelling if you look at similar suits.

look at the case with headphone jacks on prior treo models. Palm was telling individual people they had no other reports. While people waited and got no satisfaction and no use of the ports, it later tuned out in discovery this was a very very widespread problem.

As I said the threat of legal action, the specter of it, the knowledge by companies that it is a consumer option ,is a significant motivating factor.

Also keep in mind Palm may not be out a nickel if they replace the defective treo pros depending on whether they screwed up i n their specs or their manufacture messed up. If their contract manufacturer used substadnard plastic etc, then Palm is going to get their losses back from th manufacturing company.

What we do know is that these cracks are not the fault of the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    I love it!!! I never thought of comparing falling off a ladder and breaking your neck to not being able to switch from one call to another on your mobile.
    It depends on why you fell off. if you fell off because of a badly made ladder rung, you should sue them. If you fell off becasue you placed it in mud on a rainy day and went on the top rung that is a different stgory.

If a week old phone case starts cracking on multiple customers pros in a week or two, and they give customers a hard time about New in box replacements, they should have the pants sued off of them. Lots of people paid $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I wish we weren't such a litigious society sometimes.
    If you feel a merchant or product didn't deliver on goods or services, you can almost always get your money back especially if you paid by credit card.
    If you've suffered other damages then sure seek recourse, but otherwise get your refund and vote with your dollars by not patronizing the merchant again.
    Class-action suits usually only serve to punish the defendant through the large expenditure of legal fees. I've never seen any meaningful award given to parties to the class action suit, but the lawyers sure make out well.
    However in discrimination class action lawsuits, even with the high expenses, I feel they are sometimes necessary or a company could NEVER change it's practices. It sucks to go that route, but justice never seems to be attained the easy way.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12