Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://gizmodo.com/5094123/t+mobile-...dphone-adapter

Any luck we will be seeing one of these, Palm/HTC?
    Anyone think these would work for the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    Highly doubtful.

If you get it let us know. I think you'll only be confirming it won't work.
    It says its a miniUSB, not the microUSB we need. I convinced the Sprint store manager near me that his Moto microUSB wouldn't work after he offered to me for free and then I smiled and said hook it up and prove it. He was convinced it would work. Thanks to this forum he thought I was the second coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    http://gizmodo.com/5094123/t+mobile-...dphone-adapter

Any luck we will be seeing one of these, Palm/HTC?
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Palm is releasing a 3.5mm adapter in January called the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    well said indeed...and thanks again Palm and Seidio for hosing the 800w folks wanting a 3.5 mm adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    well said indeed...and thanks again Palm and Seidio for hosing the 800w folks wanting a 3.5 mm adaptor.
    Nothing to blame Seidio over. They didn't hose anybody. It was not Seidio who made a device and failed to deliver a wired 3.5mm adapter, but Palm. Seidio simply tried to fill the void and found it was not a good business move. If I ran Seidio and felt it was not a good business move, I'd have pulled the plug on the project personally. It's obviously not something Palm made easy to do, because nobody else is doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Nothing to blame Seidio over. They didn't hose anybody. It was not Seidio who made a device and failed to deliver a wired 3.5mm adapter, but Palm. Seidio simply tried to fill the void and found it was not a good business move. If I ran Seidio and felt it was not a good business move, I'd have pulled the plug on the project personally. It's obviously not something Palm made easy to do, because nobody else is doing it.
    Completly agree that it probably did not make business sense for Seidio, but hiding behind lies by saying it's an engineering challenge is annoying. Call it like you see it, we're not 5 yr olds here

BigMots
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    Completly agree that it probably did not make business sense for Seidio, but hiding behind lies by saying it's an engineering challenge is annoying. Call it like you see it, we're not 5 yr olds here

BigMots
    Well depending how you see it, it was an engineering challenge. The challenge was, to make a wired 3.5mm adapter within certain price constraints. The challenge could not be met, and not even Palm has stepped up to meet that challenge. I thank Seidio for making a good run at it. Because it seems many accessory providers didn't even make an attempt or didn't make it known they tried.
    My best laugh of the morning, thanks for that.

My thought is Palm knew they made a mistake with the 800w, therefore why go to the trouble of making something that would have limited market.

I have no clue why they made a 2.5mm microUSB with MONO. Maybe Palm's brain is like MONO, they only think with half a brain?
    One thing is for sure, with the Treo Pro coming to Sprint, it's very doubtful we 800w folks will be seeing any new accessories. The Treo Pro owners probably have a future full of many new accessories from various vendors ahead of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    My thought is Palm knew they made a mistake with the 800w, therefore why go to the trouble of making something that would have limited market.

I have no clue why they made a 2.5mm microUSB with MONO. Maybe Palm's brain is like MONO, they only think with half a brain?
    What were the Palm people thinking any way with the STUPID MICRO USB connector????
    They used the crappy Palm connector for so many years every one has a drawer full of cradels, chargers, cables etc. They should have left it alone or went with STANDARD MINI USB!!!!! and at least kept the 2.5mm jack.

Sorry for the tone, but come on Palm, if I keep the 800W I received yesterday I am half tempted to give it to my son and take back the 700WX..
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    What were the Palm people thinking any way with the STUPID MICRO USB connector????
    They used the crappy Palm connector for so many years every one has a drawer full of cradels, chargers, cables etc. They should have left it alone or went with STANDARD MINI USB!!!!! and at least kept the 2.5mm jack.

Sorry for the tone, but come on Palm, if I keep the 800W I received yesterday I am half tempted to give it to my son and take back the 700WX..
    Many vendors were going with MicroUSB back when the 800w was first designed. Difference is, other vendors made 3.5mm adapters if they didn't put one on the device its self.

And that Palm connector was garbage, no way I'd want that back either. Palm should have made their MicroUSB compatible with the many 3.5mm adapters already available from other vendors.

Palm has a long history of using connectors that tick customers off. (Well ticking me off.) And just when we thought they'd do better, they even made MicroUSB a hassle.
    One thing is for sure, with the Treo Pro coming to Sprint, it's very doubtful we 800w folks will be seeing any new accessories. The Treo Pro owners probably have a future full of many new accessories from various vendors ahead of them.
    Agree there, I doubt if anybody (incl Palm) will make any more accessories for the 800w, only for that "Cracks-in-the-case" Pro

Spoke to a couple more friends who have the Pro are seething mad about the cracks they've seen.

BigMots
    Many vendors were going with MicroUSB back when the 800w was first designed. Difference is, other vendors made 3.5mm adapters if they didn't put one on the device its self.

And that Palm connector was garbage, no way I'd want that back either. Palm should have made their MicroUSB compatible with the many 3.5mm adapters already available from other vendors.

Palm has a long history of using connectors that tick customers off. (Well ticking me off.) And just when we thought they'd do better, they even made MicroUSB a hassle.
    My point was Mini USB is a long time standard, cameras use it MP3 players etc. Even my 2002 Hitachi G1000 had USB!
    The Palm connector while garbage was around for ever, so evrey one has tons of accessories for it.

The Micro USB offers no advantage over Mini in size or capability, so why did they feel the need to use it?

The lack of a headset jack of either 2.5 or 3mm was pure neglegence on Palm's part..
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.

That's what I did.

The Micro USB offers no advantage over Mini in size or capability, so why did they feel the need to use it?
    September 2007: Micro-USB to be phone-charger standard

It was the "industry" agreed upon plan at the time they did it, for charging and sync. That article does not mention it, but the plan was agreed on, to use MicroUSB for charge and sync too. Then later most of them stopped following the agreed plan. There was never an agreement for MicroUSB to be used for audio and every company went their own way in that regard.

The lack of a headset jack of either 2.5 or 3mm was pure neglegence on Palm's part..
    Agreed.

They did make a 2.5mm adapter, but it's only mono.
    I did the Radio Shack 3.5mm conversion of the Palm Crapset.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=168008&page=4

The instructions are very precise and I was able to get it completed and working. It took me more time to find my tools and soldering iron than it did to do the job. I needed a magnifying glass to see everything, but it was actually pretty easy.

I have downloaded Mortplayer which has a amplifier to improve volume. I have moved to RealVGA (very cool) and the Mortplayer interface doesn't look so well (there is probably a fix) in this environment, but still if you only increase volume by 20 -45%, much improvement.

Although, it isn't good enough and I will still give Palm grief.

Everyday my crappy 800w gets better, too bad it is totally unrelated to Palm, just the great people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Although, it isn't good enough and I will still give Palm grief.
    I think if you get the Jabra BT3030, you'll be able to use the volume controls on it, to get volume to a level that makes you happy.
    We 800 users are definetly the Pontiac Fiero of the PDA industry. Great on paper, poorly made, no support then cancelled.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast