View Poll Results: Sprint Treo 800w owners, would you have waited 6 months for the Treo Pro?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 30.95%
  • No

29 69.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like a date in January 2009 is being mentioned for a Sprint Treo Pro release.

Now I know there was some indignation on this side of the forums, when the Treo Pro was announced very shortly after the 800w. Some said they would have rather waited. But I wonder, if you are someone who really likes being with Sprint and have a Treo 800w, would you have held off about 6 months to get a Treo Pro instead?

I don't really care for the Treo Pro, but even if I really liked it, I doubt I'd have held off 6 months and probably would have got an 800w anyway, even if I knew all the time lines for product releases in advance. (But obviously I speak from a biased position.)
    Too early to say.

No specs are yet public. Granted it'll mostly be the same, but traditionally GSM->CDMA conversion changes things (sometimes for the better (Touch Pro/Diamond); sometimes not (Epix has 1800mah batter/Saga 1300mah).
  3.    #3  
    Well if they make a lot of changes for the better, I'll just have to go and make another poll .
    I am not waiting for a Palm device ever. It is sad that we would have to wait at all. In a few weeks I will most likely be moving away from Palm once again. My buddy (roger1079)is ringing out the Touch Pro (ATT Fuze) for me. We usually have the same device so if he likes it I am using my rebate for it. His Treo Pro currently has a cracked housing and is trying to get Palm to replace it. He paid $550 plus shipping 35 days ago for it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Nope. No way, no how. I'd already been following the preparations for months waiting for the 800, so there's no way I would have (could have!) waited another 6 months. And I won't trade out for the Pro either.
    Given the 800w, I would have waited a LONG time for the Treo Pro. Heck, I can't bring myself to sell my super-old Mogul since it's still better than the 800w.

I'll be exchanging my GPS-defective 800w for the Treo Pro.
    My Treo 650 died the day the Treo 800W came out. No regrets, I love the Treo 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Too early to say.

No specs are yet public. Granted it'll mostly be the same, but traditionally GSM->CDMA conversion changes things (sometimes for the better (Touch Pro/Diamond); sometimes not (Epix has 1800mah batter/Saga 1300mah).
    Yeah, I hope they don't change it too much. If they change anything, puhhlease let it be the keyboard

(I know, I know, not gonna happen...)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah, I hope they don't change it too much. If they change anything, puhhlease let it be the keyboard

(I know, I know, not gonna happen...)
    lol, I'm kinda okay with the KB.

Would hope they
    • Can keep the same size battery
    • Use the 800w version of WM6.1
    • Have aGPS & GPS (not either or)
    • Matte/Rubberized paint

Dream would be GSM (or WiMAX) capable

At least we know 100% it'll have MIE 6 (not that it's a huge deal).

Actually, the tradition of late has been when a GSM --> CDMA conversion happens with an HTC device, it pretty much got better (updated hardware, fixed bugs, etc.) So more than likely this will be an improvement on the GSM version.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I guess it depends. Would the CDMA version be able to lay off the crack?

"Just say no little Treo Pro! Just say no!!"
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, I'm kinda okay with the KB.

Would hope they
    • Can keep the same size battery
    • Use the 800w version of WM6.1
    • Have aGPS & GPS (not either or)
    • Matte/Rubberized paint
    Dream would be GSM (or WiMAX) capable

At least we know 100% it'll have MIE 6 (not that it's a huge deal).

Actually, the tradition of late has been when a GSM --> CDMA conversion happens with an HTC device, it pretty much got better (updated hardware, fixed bugs, etc.) So more than likely this will be an improvement on the GSM version.
    The keyboard on the Treo Pro wouldn't stop me from getting it, but the 800w has the best keyboard on any phone I've ever used. Of course, any improvements would be welcome.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    The keyboard on the Treo Pro wouldn't stop me from getting it, but the 800w has the best keyboard on any phone I've ever used. Of course, any improvements would be welcome.
    You mean you're going to give up the 800w, noooooo, not you. We need the good hackers to stay with the 800w. We need you on the 800w more than the Treo Pro needs any more good hackers .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You mean you're going to give up the 800w, noooooo, not you. We need the good hackers to stay with the 800w. We need you on the 800w more than the Treo Pro needs any more good hackers .
    LOL, I'm not gone yet... and between Ebag and Hannip, I'd say this forum is pretty much covered.

I'm not unhappy with the 800w, but I'm not committed to it either.

If I'm not here, I'll be hangin out next door
    Your making the assumption that Palm will still be in business in January.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    not really, cus sero plans were taking away from Sprint, so it was a consolation prize
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Your making the assumption that Palm will still be in business in January.
    I figure Sprint already owns a lot of Treo Pros. So if Palm died today, I think Sprint would still have some they'd want to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I figure Sprint already owns a lot of Treo Pros. So if Palm died today, I think Sprint would still have some they'd want to sell.
    Well today it looks better for Palm. As I type they are up 30% from yesterday. Thats a huge swing and I can't find any news to support it. I have never seen a stock swing like Palm has been the last few weeks. 30% is huge, especially without any news. Very strange.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    No, I wouldn't have, and I don't intend on buying a Treo Pro either. I think the 800w does essentially the same thing, but looks better.
    I've been using a 700wx and Touch Pro for the last two months after 2 months of the Treo 800w, so I think I would have waited. If the Treo 800w had decent volume, ANY way to use a 3.5mm headset, and standalone GPS, the pending Treo Pro release wouldn't even be on my radar.

I really do like the Touch Pro I'm using right now, and if the performance holds up, it might be time for me to kick my 6-yr addiction to Treos and their always-exposed KBs.
    I replaced my 650 with the 800w and I'm happy so far. The standalone GPS would be a "nice to have" but not necessary. The 3.5mm jack was an ommission that lacked any common sense, but I never used the jack on the 650, ever. A2DP makes up for it, though.

Given that we won't know the battery size of the CDMA pro for a while, I don't think there's a big difference between 1300 and 1100mAh...besides, there's a battery that big for the 800w anyway.

The pro looks great, but the specs are largely the same. I can see the pro being scratched up after a couple months, but the 800w won't be.

If I could choose now between the pro and the 800w, I'd probably pick the pro, but that doesn't mean I'm kicking myself for having the 800w. I kept my 650 for 4 years (!), and the 800w is a huge step up in capability.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast