Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Looks like the Treo Pro is the best new PDA out there. My old CLIE PEG-SJ20 is getting hard to write on and this started my search. I think the Treo Pro is the best choice between smart phones because of it's hardware button. WiFi instant on/off- Love it. So Posting to hope I can win one since the cost is out of my budget right now.
    Needing a new PDA. Looking for a Treo.
    Do People moving from the Centro think the kb is nice?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Do People moving from the Centro think the kb is nice?
    You would think if one was coming from a centro and liked it, they would have to just love the pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    The Treo Pro is a great phone although it does have a bad rep of mysterious cracks. If I were to make a better Treo Pro, they should make its body kit more durable and solid kinda like the Centro.
    Fill the cracks with body filler, sand, then paint.
    Just call me Berd.
    Sounds like a job for Mighty Putty .
    Mmm ... That could do it if the crack is cosmetic and non-structural. Is it? How bad has the crack becomes for any of us "cracked" TreoPro owners? Does pieces flake off after multiple cracks?
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    I was trying to be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t View Post
    Mmm ... That could do it if the crack is cosmetic and non-structural. Is it? How bad has the crack becomes for any of us "cracked" TreoPro owners? Does pieces flake off after multiple cracks?
    I'll remember not to sit on my Treo Pro when it shows up.
    Mmm ... Are we still waiting for Kevin's full review of Treo Pro?

The page http://roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com/2008/ seems to indicate that only Kevin haven't posted his full review in the first round of this Smartphone Experts Round Robin 2008.

A bunch of my colleagues were asking whether they should get a BB instead of a WM phone. So I really like to point them to both ...
    (1) Dieter's (of WMExperts.com) full review of Black Berry Bold and,
    (2) Kevin's (of Crackberry.com) full review of Treo Pro.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Kevin's posted his review!

http://crackberry.com/round-robin-re...-palm-treo-pro

I have to say I completely disagree with one point: it doesn't take much work at all to make the Treo Pro an "on the go" device instead of a "stop and use" device. I guess the point that it's not "on the go" for most people at first stands, but I think that with a little work and a little time I'm able to move quite quickly with the Treo
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Ok... since I'm coming from a different perspective than Kevin (longtime Palm OS user, so I'm equally used to styli and keyboards), I still feel I would prefer the Treo Pro to the Bold (or any BB so far). There's a lot software to customize the Pro to suit my liking, whereas the BB style is more take-it-or-leave-it. Maybe it's that I've customized, heavily, every Palm I've ever used and that's started spilling over to other devices...

That said, there's one thing that I agree with Kevin on hands-down--the onscreen WinMob keyboard. IMO it should have been a no-brainer for Palm and HTC to remove/hide all indications of it, as it's just redundant.

I saw a mention in another thread of an app to keep the onscreen keyboard hidden in programs like Opera; sounds like an absolute must-have.
    So what is the best Treo Pro web browser, skyfire, opera mini or something else?
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Kevin's posted his review!

http://crackberry .com/round-robin-r...palm -treo-pro

I have to say I completely disagree with one point: it doesn't take much work at all to make the Treo Pro an "on the go" device instead of a "stop and use" device. I guess the point that it's not "on the go" for most people at first stands, but I think that with a little work and a little time I'm able to move quite quickly with the Treo
    I guess a lot has to do with what one is used to.
    I guess a lot has to do with what one is used to.
    When you read the whole of his paragraph about OTG vs Stop and Use, it actually resonates with me.

I tried an eyephone for a couple of months, and one of the things that struck me in the end about using it, was the amount of attention it required to do anything on it.

It's not a bad device, BUT trying to find a phone number in it, takes a little time, and then trying to accurately do that while driving is just downright dangerous as compared too typing first letter first name, and then last name as you do on a palm device. There is no need to look at the phone (maybe a glance) but nothing more.

I completely understand that people would say "oh you shouldn't use your phone while driving" although with BT handsfree it's pretty safe, BUT you still need to dial a number.

I'm not familiar with BBs, and the pro isn't quite as good as the old Palms for this, but its better than the eyephone.

I kinda wonder with so many of the eyephone users being "newbies" to smartphones, probably coming from Nokia or Moto whether or not there will be any significant increase to traffic mishaps due to driver inattention?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I never use my stylus--other than to calibrate my screen after a soft reset.

IMO it totally defeats the one handed operation that the front facing qwerty keyboard provides. If I am driving and need to look up a phone number I type a few letters than scroll down using the dpad and I am set.

I view the stylus as totally unnecessary--but I don't mind that it is there as it takes no room.

Just curious if you have a bb with a touch screen how do you calibrate the screen?

Also, totally agree that the BB is not nearly as customizable as the Treo. In my line of work it seems like the BB users almost universally don't care to tweak nor know anything about how they would tweak their devices, whereas the Treo users always seem to add or tweak something. No slam on the BB users as they are of the peronality that want it to work out of the box and don't want to be bothered to modify it.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I am strongly opposed to Kevin's on-the-go evaluation. People who are not concentrating on what they are doing because they are too busy "multi-tasking" are a hazard to be around. Put you bloody BB down and pay attention! A phone that requires the user's input is a GOOD thing.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Having been a 10 year PalmOS user and now a BlackBerry Curve 8330 user, I'd have to agree that the BB OS is totally an "on-the-go" smartphone experience. PalmOS was also very much "on-the-go" for me, but it crashed far too often.
    Considering that several people on here strongly recommended RealVGA it's a bit sad to see the review whinge so much about the screen's DPI.

Also Opera Mini > Skyfire from that screenshot. Mini formats large blocks of text to the zoomed-in width of the screen so you can read by scrolling down instead of right down left right down left...
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by NPR_aficionado View Post
    Not a Treo Pro owner, but I do have a Treo 800, and I really don't find the need for a stylus very often. I used to pull mine out once a week or so, but I lost it weeks ago and have not missed it much since.
    +1. I only use the stylus to setup the device after a hard reset.
    I can't defend Windows but I can say that some people like a stylus for the accuracy in working on a small screen or when wearing gloves. Those of us who come from a PDA background are used to a stylus and may even reach for it out of habit. Some apps that have a lot of detail as well as Palm OS apps that are run under Windows (via StyleTap) really need a stylus. Also, games such as backgammon or dominoes that can be designed for play without a stylus are much easier with one. Different strokes--or taps--for different folks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast