Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm coming right off of a hard reset on my 800w.

At different times during the day my 800w will tell me that I have absolutely no service. I know this can't be true, because it does it when I'm outdoors in New York City. Turning the Radio on and off does nothing. Soft resetting does nothing.

While my phone is in this state, I can't use data, receive calls, or send/receive text messages.

BUT

If I attempt to make a call, WHAM! I now have full service again, and everything works. It's like making an outgoing call is the only thing that can wake up the radio.

Has anyone experienced this, or know of a way to fix it?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    sounds like you may need to exchange it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post

At different times during the day my 800w will tell me that I have absolutely no service. I know this can't be true, because it does it when I'm outdoors in New York City. Turning the Radio on and off does nothing. Soft resetting does nothing.

While my phone is in this state, I can't use data, receive calls, or send/receive text messages.

BUT

If I attempt to make a call, WHAM! I now have full service again, and everything works. It's like making an outgoing call is the only thing that can wake up the radio.

That has happened to me on a couple of occasions as well. The first time I noticed it was after a hard reset and installation of RealVGA. It's probably just coincidence, but do you have RealVGA installed? Like you said, making an outgoing call kick starts the radio back on.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I get the no service thing after a soft-reset sometimes, but another soft reset always fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    sounds like you may need to exchange it.
    Agreed. I have had what Haus descirbes as well- but a soft reset always fixes it.

Your issue seems to be more severe. Good luck dealing with Sprint though. These types of sporadic issues can be a headache with them.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I've seen this alot too. It usually occurs right after a soft-reset, it will be stuck in "No Service" mode. I cannot place a call or initiate a data connection. Turning the phone radio off and then on doesn't fix it.

A couple of times, it just happened (no soft-reset prior) and I know damn well I have service.

And I DID notice that once I was able to place a call even though it said "No Service." So I'm not sure if it will fix itself after awhile. The longest I left it like this was only about 15 minutes before rebooting.

On a related-but-slightly-different issue, I also encountered some weirdness with data connections. The symptom is that I have an idle data connection, but when I try to access it, my signal bars will flicker, but I can't get my connection to work. If I try to disconnect the connection or power-cycle the phone radio, the phone won't respond. I usually end up rebooting in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I've seen this alot too. It usually occurs right after a soft-reset, it will be stuck in "No Service" mode. I cannot place a call or initiate a data connection. Turning the phone radio off and then on doesn't fix it.

A couple of times, it just happened (no soft-reset prior) and I know damn well I have service.

And I DID notice that once I was able to place a call even though it said "No Service." So I'm not sure if it will fix itself after awhile. The longest I left it like this was only about 15 minutes before rebooting.

On a related-but-slightly-different issue, I also encountered some weirdness with data connections. The symptom is that I have an idle data connection, but when I try to access it, my signal bars will flicker, but I can't get my connection to work. If I try to disconnect the connection or power-cycle the phone radio, the phone won't respond. I usually end up rebooting in this case.

Sometimes this happens to me and I cant even launch apps!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    I get the no service thing after a soft-reset sometimes, but another soft reset always fixes it.
    I also get this occasionally. Pretty rarely, and a soft reset has always fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post

BUT

Have you had Sprint service before? I thought this was normal.

Exactly the same issues I had, with three 800w phones.

Also, the three units would drop phone calls, incoming and outgoing. I would see "no service" on the screen when the calls were dropped. And I knew I was in a Sprint service area. 1X data connections were difficult to get and maintain.

No working roaming connections.

So I gave up on the 800w and use Palm OS phones only. No phone radio issues with my Palm OS phones.....

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post

Also, the three units would drop phone calls, incoming and outgoing. I would see "no service" on the screen when the calls were dropped. And I knew I was in a Sprint service area. 1X data connections were difficult to get and maintain.

So I gave up on the 800w and use Palm OS phones only. No phone radio issues with my Palm OS phones.....

Despite the issues I have with the 800w, I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. I am going to push for a replacement soon, and if that unit doesn't behavior any better, I'll be waiting with great anticipation for the Sprint Treo Pro (assuming it really does show up).
    Speaking as someone who lives in an area where I roam a lot, I have had zero problems with roaming. (Which frankly surprises the heck out of me.)

In fact, I've had far more issues with roaming on my 700wx than I have with the 800w. I attribute this largely to the better radio/antenna in the 800w (it picks up signals better). Areas where I got no signal (even when I knew there was one) with my 700wx, or could not connect to data/internet, I'm getting on with my 800w. I've even done some web surfing 30 miles from the nearest town using ancient 1x towers on roaming (while my wife's 700wx couldn't even get a phone signal).

It took like 3-5 minutes per page to load...but it DID work.
  13.    #13  
    Thank you everybody for all of your feedback. It's type of issue that only happens once in a while, and doesn't warrant me staying on hold with CS for a decade, just to have them tell me to do a hard reset. I guess I'll live with it...

I have a Sprint 800w and it works perfectly. No dropped calls, no problem getting data connections, the thing flies and is reliable. All the CDMA radios on the latest Treos are basically the same. No way Palm would buy a different version for each smartphone. It would just be too costly. If you had three 800w's and couldn't get any of them to work right, it must either be some application you are loading on it or something you are doing to it. Probably a good idea that you went back to an OS that you know how to use.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.

There are definitely radio issues with the 800w. I get the no service after soft reset as others have reported, but that's less serious than the other issue I have. My radio just wigs out sometimes and doesn't allow any incoming sms or phone calls for several minutes and then comes back to its senses. Happened on two 800w's I've had so far. I've reported the issue to Palm and have a thread on their forum about it. There are also several threads about it here. If you keep exchanging the device for a new one you'll eventually get one that works ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    My radio just wigs out sometimes and doesn't allow any incoming sms or phone calls for several minutes and then comes back to its senses. Happened on two 800w's I've had so far.
    How sure are you that it's the phone and not something you're doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    How sure are you that it's the phone and not something you're doing?
    1) tested on fresh devices without any 3rd party software installed.
    2) many others reporting same identical issue.
    3) numerous calls to sprint to reprogram/reset device had no effect.
    4) member tested bad and good device activated to same account in same location. bad one exhibited the problem. good one did not.
    1) tested on fresh devices without any 3rd party software installed.
    2) many others reporting same identical issue.
    3) numerous calls to sprint to reprogram/reset device had no effect.
    4) member tested bad and good device activated to same account in same location. bad one exhibited the problem. good one did not.
    Good enough for me.

I just know that you (along with other people who shall remain unnamed here) tend to muck with stuff you probably shouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Good enough for me.

I just know that you (along with other people who shall remain unnamed here) tend to muck with stuff you probably shouldn't.
    Yeah, that's why when I got my replacement I tested it before doing anything to it. I was getting incoming calls just fine until I made an EVDO data connection. Then the problems started again. Note that I have between 60 and 100% signal at all times when this issue is happening.

Some references:
    http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...thread.id=4375

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170796
    Yeah, that's why when I got my replacement I tested it before doing anything to it. I was getting incoming calls just fine until I made an EVDO data connection. Then the problems started again. Note that I have between 60 and 100% signal at all times when this issue is happening.
    I had a thought occur to me on the way home.

Think this could have anything to do with Rev A (and the pesky associated checkbox)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast