Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The 800 is lacking in many ways (poor audio earpiece, no standalone GPS even though the feature list states standalone, extremely poor battery life and more). The Pro having cracked housings (won't bring up the bug list sticky, go read it) among other things.

Palm is so done. For many of us we will not be repeat customers. It is sad because my 700wx was such a work horse. That was the Palm we were use to and wanted more of. Two years later they give us this? This is a market Palm owned. You are either in the market or watching it go by. HTC, RIMM and others are dominating. Where is Palm? They lost 16% market share last year. You think these two quality devices will save the Company? They are keeping afloat with a $325 million given to them from an investment firm. In return they promised to change the market with new intuitive handsets. HTC is doing that not Palm. When will we see a VGA screen or 3.2MP camera from Palm? Another 2 years? It will be too late by then. The hail mary has been thrown and HTC has batted it away.

As soon as I am eligible for my rebate Palm will be out of my life forever. It is coming soon.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I wouldn't go as far to say Palm is done.
    Even if Palm dies, the Treo or something incredibly similar will have to come along. Otherwise I will be walking around with a Treo Pro, (possibly with Cracks all over) for a long time. And if my Pro completely falls apart, I will go back to the 750. I am very happy with my Pro.
    And I am pretty confident that the Cracks are a very small batch. Just look at the Poll.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wouldn't go as far to say Palm is done.
    Even if Palm dies, the Treo or something incredibly similar will have to come along. Otherwise I will be walking around with a Treo Pro, (possibly with Cracks all over) for a long time. And if my Pro completely falls apart, I will go back to the 750. I am very happy with my Pro.
    And I am pretty confident that the Cracks are a very small batch. Just look at the Poll.
    I hear you. You do realize 100 year company such as GM is on the verge of bankruptcy? Ford and Chrysler also in trouble. The banks have been bailed out. Do you think Palm can survive with 2 devices every 2 years? If they can God Bless them because many are closing up shop.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  4.    #24  
    One of big three is for sure to fail. I just had a talk with fed... the bailout is just not the ordinary job of fed although they do have the authority.

They also told me the unemployment rate will go up to 10% till 2011, well, you may see the official number is below that, but, that is official...
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrett View Post
    I could argue that a $45,000 truck should be able to withstand minor debris and then claim that my truck only experienced minor debris. Oh, and that it is garage kept.

It wasn't abuse or negligence on my part either. My point is that they dont have to cover anything that isnt in their warranty and they are. The five people on this forum that are upset and that will never do business with them again will be replaced with countless new ones not to mention they'll get even more customers when this phone is released through a carrier for $199; Palm knows this.
    and you would be one of them had they not covered yours. im sure it is quite easy on your part to pass judgment on me for having a bad attitude when you were one of the ones that palm handled well. i guess i spoke to the wrong person, or maybe i simply called the wrong number...whatever the case may be, as of now, i have had no resolution for an obvious factory flaw, and that is unacceptable in my eyes. hopefully palm will do good by me, but as of now, it seems as if that may not be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I hear you. You do realize 100 year company such as GM is on the verge of bankruptcy? Ford and Chrysler also in trouble. The banks have been bailed out. Do you think Palm can survive with 2 devices every 2 years? If they can God Bless them because many are closing up shop.
    Yea, but if Palm goes down, I would think someone would want to buy the rights to the form factor.

I know some devices get close, but they never seem to do it for me.
    But then again, I don't want to be carrying my 750 around 10 years from now.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yea, but if Palm goes down, I would think someone would want to buy the rights to the form factor.

I know some devices get close, but they never seem to do it for me.
    But then again, I don't want to be carrying my 750 around 10 years from now.
    I really hope you are right. When I put my 800 next to the Touch Pro it looked so outdated. I think the form factor is played out. The only form factor that has lasted is a Porsche 911 (36 years). Palm may continue to keep going while losing money and market share. I am sure they will reorganize first. With so many companies struggling and closing up its hard to see Palm making it in the future.

I really hope you are right. When I put my 800 next to the Treo Pro it looked so outdated. I think the form factor is played out. The only form factor that has lasted is a Porsche 911 (36 years). Palm may continue to keep going while losing money and market share. I am sure they will reorganize first. With so many companies struggling and closing up its hard to see Palm making it in the future.
    Form Factor Outdated?
    I know, a lot of people say that, and that will cause many to move on.
    But when something works the way we want, and fits in the hand the way we want, why call that outdated? The Pro was a cool move for style, but did we get a better keyboard for it?
    Just call me Berd.
    If the quality was there like the 700p, 700wx and 755 the outdated look would be a non factor. However my 800 is nowhere near the quality of those devices. Forget the features, size and everything. I am talking about a work horse. The 800 is not it. As a business owner the 800 wouldn't make the top 5 of devices I would give to my enployees. So the Treo Pro tried to add a little flare to the Treo design through HTC. Was it a success? I don't have the device but my buddy (roger1079) does and he has been disappointed. The housing is a severe issue. I believe his will be replaced. Just talked with him and he did get a call back from Palm. The Treo Pro has a release date on Sprint, Jan. 11th. I bet this housing issue delays it back much further.

If the quality was there like the 700p, 700wx and 755 the outdated look would be a non factor. However my 800 is nowhere near the quality of those devices. Forget the features, size and everything. I am talking about a work horse. The 800 is not it. As a business owner the 800 wouldn't make the top 5 of devices I would give to my enployees. So the Treo Pro tried to add a little flare to the Treo design through HTC. Was it a success? I don't have the device but my buddy (roger1079) does and he has been disappointed. The housing is a severe issue. I believe his will be replaced. Just talked with him and he did get a call back from Palm. The Treo Pro has a release date on Sprint, Jan. 11th. I bet this housing issue delays it back much further.
    Yea, so it's not a 'Form Factor' issue.
    It's a Build Quality.
    As far as I'm concerned, the 750 got as close as Palm got.
    But I much prefer how light and pocket friendly the Pro is.

So let's see; Pro Style/750 Build Quality/800 kb.
    That's it - Where to Buy?
    Just call me Berd.
    Dude, are you and Mal getting kick backs from Palm or something? You have also taken the "Mighty Mouse" role and try to defend Palm even though many have legitimate claims.
    Have I ever said anything but Palm should replace them?

And your friend should have read his warranty before he bought the phone.
    (Posted here by the way. If you haven't read it yet, shame on you. You might be surprised at what isn't covered. )

LIMITED WARRANTY
    HARDWARE: Palm, Inc. (“Palm”) warrants to the original end user (“Customer”) that new Palm branded products will be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use, for one (1) year (two (2) years in the European Union if you are an individual consumer) from the original purchase date. Palm warrants refurbished Palm products, marked and sold as such, for ninety (90) days (two (2) years in the European Union if you are an individual consumer) from the original purchase date.

EXCLUSIONS
    This warranty excludes (1) physical damage to the surface of the product, including cracks or scratches on the lcd touchscreen or outside casing; (2) damage caused by misuse, neglect, improper installation or testing, unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify the product, or any other cause beyond the range of the intended use; (3) damage caused by accident, fire, power changes, other hazards, or acts of God; or (4) use of the product with any non- Palm device or service if such device or service causes the problem.
    (Emphasis mine)

It's a fairly boilerplate warranty, but the long and the short of it is that Palm doesn't have to do anything. The very fact that they are replacing units for problems not technically covered by warranty is simply a good move on Palm's part.

Now, I suppose you could argue that the cracking is "from defects in workmanship and materials". You would then have to prove that it actually was a defect, and not simply a design decision. Regardless the exclusion is specifically for their limited warranty, which means the warranty is on their side on this.

And as far as the BBB complaint goes, if Palm replaces the unit, no complaint is needed. If they refuse to, then go ahead and file the complaint. Palm should be replacing the units, regardless if the cracking is specifically covered by warranty or not.

Maybe I misread your post. It simply read to me that you were stating to file the complaint before Palm had a chance to make the situation right. If that wasn't what you intended, then I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

(Posted here by the way. If you haven't read it yet, shame on you. You might be surprised at what isn't covered. )

(Emphasis mine)

It's a fairly boilerplate warranty, but the long and the short of it is that Palm doesn't have to do anything. The very fact that they are replacing units for problems not technically covered by warranty is simply a good move on Palm's part.

Now, I suppose you could argue that the cracking is "from defects in workmanship and materials". You would then have to prove that it actually was a defect, and not simply a design decision. Regardless the exclusion is specifically for their limited warranty, which means the warranty is on their side on this.

And as far as the BBB complaint goes, if Palm replaces the unit, no complaint is needed. If they refuse to, then go ahead and file the complaint. Palm should be replacing the units, regardless if the cracking is specifically covered by warranty or not.

Maybe I misread your post. It simply read to me that you were stating to file the complaint before Palm had a chance to make the situation right. If that wasn't what you intended, then I apologize.
    Roger called me earlier and told me he did get a call back from Palm. He was told to take better pics as she needed them for a meeting. He supplied the pics and she promised to get back to him tomorrow. She also noted that there is an issue with the housing and this is what the meeting was about.

That January 11th date I would bet will not stick. It will get pushed back.

The BBB complaint I mentioned was IF they told him to screw off. If many are having the same issue after a days then it is defective which warrants replacement regardless what the warranty statement says. They cannot list every part of the device on the warranty paper. However if many are having an issue with the same part then its defective. That is all I was saying. He bought the HTC Fuze today and is saying goodbye to Palm forever. In a few weeks I may be doing the same.

If that crack prone case was a design decision or budget decision on their part then shame on them. At that point I would have as much respect for them as I do for Microsoft with the XBOX360 that doesnt do anything consistently but overheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by roger1079 View Post
    If that crack prone case was a design decision or budget decision on their part then shame on them. At that point I would have as much respect for them as I do for Microsoft with the XBOX360 that doesnt do anything consistently but overheat.
    I doubt it was a conscious decision. It was a very unfortunate mistake that is costing them big. They are losing money everytime they send a replacement out. You are going to hate to hear this, but my Xbox doesn't overheat

I am sorry some people are having a hard time with this. I dont blame you for being upset. I almost want to call them and work out the replacement for you. Go to their website and find the 408 number and call Corporate Relations and ask for Jay or Melissa. They are the reps that helped me. Jay authorized a replacement and then confirmed it was a brand new unit. I received the package two days later and they had sent me a refurbished unit with scratches and fingerprints on the back thrown loosely in a shipping bag with no protection. I immediately called them and spoke to Melissa. I explained to her what they had sent me and how I was sure that it was thrown all around and possibly damaged due to the unprofessional nature in which it was shipped to me and so she authorized another replacement also confiming it would be new in the box. Five business days later the new Treo Pro in the box arrived and I dont have any cracks yet. I was very careful when removing the battery cover...

(Emphasis mine)

Ebag, you make a good point regarding Palm not needing to replace the units based on their warranty language but businesses practices like that will certainly lead to disaster.

The old adage that "if you don't take care of your customers then somebody else will"--comes to mind. It shouldn't require a bunch of jumping up and down to get treated fairly. I had GPS issues with mine and it took 3 chat sessions and calls to Palm in order to get it rectified. Because I had the time and wherewithall to resolve this but somebody else in my same situation might not doesn't seem right.

Their warranty is like the one on your valet parking stub that says they aren't responsible for any damage they cause--it is just a good effort on their part to keep you from trying.

In tough times the cream will rise to the top and if Palm wants to stand behind a ridiculous warranty policy IMO they will lose.

However, I am betting that they will do the right thing because they badly need this device to become popular--you should see all the former Palm users and Blackberry users react to my TP--generally they are saying things like "they finally made a slick device" and " I could go with that..."

As much as I really like my Palm devices (let's face it most of us on this site feel the same way)--I also know I can adapt to the next best thing if they go away. I quit using POS devices when they were unable to include 3G, multi-tasking and simuiltaneous voice and data and I no longer care that POs was easier to use because WM works fine for me--and there is practically unlimited freeware and paid software out there--with more to come for sure.

Come on Palm--do the right thing.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Ebag, you make a good point regarding Palm not needing to replace the units based on their warranty language but businesses practices like that will certainly lead to disaster.

<snip>

Their warranty is like the one on your valet parking stub that says they aren't responsible for any damage they cause--it is just a good effort on their part to keep you from trying.
    I absolutely agree, and as I said if they didn't cover it under warranty, *I* would be very very upset. My point was merely that they don't *HAVE* to, and plenty of companies have chosen to follow the letter of the contract/law/agreement/whatever. For them to replace them speaks volumes for their customer service.

I'm firmly of the belief that you can see how good/reliable a company is by how they handle their mistakes (or even your mistakes).

As a simple example, a company I used to work for used UPS as our shipping company. We had to buy the printer, the labels, integrate it into our software ourselves (and before that type up each label individually!), etc. When we had a problem (sometimes our fault, sometimes not) UPS simply did not care and provided the most minimal amount of support.

When we switched to FedEx, the flew in a gal to setup our system. They supplied the entire workstation/scale/printer, and integrated it themselves. They bent over backwards to set it up. About a month later we had a very nasty electrical storm that fried the system (our fault, it wasn't on a surge protector). FedEx flew someone in the next day, and put in a new system. Paid out no doubt thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars to fix OUR mistake.

Now, guess who I use when I go to ship something (years later)?

Palm certainly doesn't have that same level of trust/respect from me yet. I mainly use their devices simply because they work better for me than any of the other options. I will say I'm pretty impressed at they way they've handled the cracking issue (so far), and it certainly gives me hope for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    In tough times the cream will rise to the top and if Palm wants to stand behind a ridiculous warranty policy IMO they will lose.

<snip>

However, I am betting that they will do the right thing because they badly need this device to become popular--you should see all the former Palm users and Blackberry users react to my TP--generally they are saying things like "they finally made a slick device" and " I could go with that..."
    The problem with the mobile industry in general is that until recently none of the carriers, manufacturers, or anyone else really had to respond to the consumers.

You had a choice of 2 or 3 carriers (if you were lucky!), they offered a handful of phones (that were largely the same with no distinguishing features) and off you went.

None of the carriers or manufacturers are very responsive to the consumers. A simple look at how HTC handled the Mogul shows that much. Or look at the way Apple has cracked down on their store (banning apps that might compete with theirs). Or look at the way RIM says "We had an outage. Oops. Sucks to be you."

NONE of the manufacturers OR carriers are doing what you see Toyota doing in the auto market, or what Dell did to the PC market. The market is absolutely ripe for some nimble carrier and/or manufacturer to swing in and offer consumers what they really want, and be forthcoming enough to be open with their consumers.

Maybe Android will do just that. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrett View Post
    I doubt it was a conscious decision. It was a very unfortunate mistake that is costing them big. They are losing money everytime they send a replacement out. You are going to hate to hear this, but my Xbox doesn't overheat

I am sorry some people are having a hard time with this. I dont blame you for being upset. I almost want to call them and work out the replacement for you. Go to their website and find the 408 number and call Corporate Relations and ask for Jay or Melissa. They are the reps that helped me. Jay authorized a replacement and then confirmed it was a brand new unit. I received the package two days later and they had sent me a refurbished unit with scratches and fingerprints on the back thrown loosely in a shipping bag with no protection. I immediately called them and spoke to Melissa. I explained to her what they had sent me and how I was sure that it was thrown all around and possibly damaged due to the unprofessional nature in which it was shipped to me and so she authorized another replacement also confiming it would be new in the box. Five business days later the new Treo Pro in the box arrived and I dont have any cracks yet. I was very careful when removing the battery cover...
    you are a lucky one for sure. i am on my 3rd 360 since launch because of the red ring of death. fortunately the 3rd seems to be holding its own. 8 months and counting with no issues.

at any rate, palm finally contacted me again and acknowledged there is definitely a problem, however the best they could do for me was issuing me a service ticket authorizing a repair. this is perfectly fine by me and my treo will be shipping out to them tomorrow. the customer service experience could have been much better, but i guess i just spoke to the wrong person at the wrong time. i hope documenting my experience here will serve as a point of reference to save someone else the same headache i had.
    It's a fairly boilerplate warranty, but the long and the short of it is that Palm doesn't have to do anything.
    100% Wrong . The long and the short of it is Palm knows they are legally exposed no matter what their warranty assertion is. Warranty is a matter of law, not simply what is claimed on maker boilerplate.
    The very fact that they are replacing units for problems not technically covered by warranty is simply a good move on Palm's part.
    You can bet their legal department is advising they are 100% exposed on warranty and that is what motivated them.
    I'm also going to disagree about Palm not having to do anything about cracked phones. They most certainly DO need to do something if they have a bad batch. The bad batch isn't the consumer's fault. Why should the consumer be left holding the bag on a defective batch? Palm authorized these defective units to go out, so it's on their dime.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12