Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo Pro users:

I've written a bare-bones MortScript app called "MyBeacon" that turns on the center button beacon in the following instances:

-- New Unread text message
    -- New Unread MMS Message
    -- New Unread email
    -- New Unread email in Flexmail
    -- New Voicemail (should extend standard behavior)

It checks every 10 seconds for one of the above and turns on the beacon.. if it checks again after 10 seconds and there is nothing unread, it shuts the beacon off.

As I said, this is real basic, no options at the moment, no cab file, just run it and go...

Included:
    - mybeacon.mscr -- main script
    - killmybeacon.mscr -- kllls the script if you want to stop it
    - Latest Mortscript.exe in case you don't already have mortscript installed

Installation:
    1. Unzip the zip. It will create a folder called My Beacon with the 3 files above.

2. Create a folder on your Treo Pro called My Beacon in Program Files or if downloaded directly extract the zip in the Program Files directory (or another if you want)

3. Transfer the files from your machine to the Treo in that directory.

4. In a file explorer, navigate to the My Beacon directory. If you do not have any other mortscript apps, click the Mortscript.exe file to register it's file association with .mscr files. If you are already using a mortscript app, this shouldn't be necessary

5. Click mybeacon.mscr and go

Note that it will not restart after a reset (bare-bones) so you will have to restart on a reset for now...

Enjoy and let me know if it doesn't work!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Treo Pro users:

I've written a bare-bones MortScript app called "MyBeacon" that turns on the center button beacon in the following instances:

-- New Unread email

It checks every 10 seconds for one of the above and turns on the beacon.. if it checks again after 10 seconds and there is nothing unread, it shuts the beacon off.

As I said, this is real basic, no options at the moment, no cab file, just run it and go...

Included:

Installation:
    1. Unzip the zip. It will create a folder called My Beacon with the 3 files above.

2. Create a folder on your Treo Pro called My Beacon in Program Files or if downloaded directly extract the zip in the Program Files directory (or another if you want)

4. In a file explorer, navigate to the My Beacon directory. If you do not have any other mortscript apps, click the Mortscript.exe file to register it's file association with .mscr files. If you are already using a mortscript app, this shouldn't be necessary

Note that it will not restart after a reset (bare-bones) so you will have to restart on a reset for now...

YeeHa!

I will give it a try
    Very cool scotty

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #4  
    not quite working all the way at the moment..more tomorrow...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'm wondering what impact this will have on battery life - not just the effect of displaying the beacon but of also polling for status changes
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    definite a good start!

thx scott,
    Handspring treo 90/180/600
    pa1m0ne Treo650 palm Treo 680, palm Treo750,Centro,Samsung i780, Now Treo Pro
    Since im not familiar with how to write with mort script can u possibly make it so the beacon goes on only with missed calls and sms and mms messages . Ok a few things attached is the my beacon file that I changed to only have the beacon go off with SMS,MMS and missed calls can u please check it to make sure I edited properly. 2nd during my experimentation with both files (yours and the one I edited) I noticed that I get a tape looking Icon which represents a voice mail even if I get a text message or missed call (see picture one). How ever once I check the text message the icon goes back to the way it should be. I also posted two pictures first pic is a missed text message with the tape looking Icon (voice mail). The second Picture I'm posting is what my screen looks like when there are no notication just for comparisons. And last I am using SPB mobile shell so not sure if that has something to do with it. Also on a side note my voice mail isn't even set up meaning that when someone does call me it says "this person has not setup their voice mail" and lastly I hate voice mail which is why I do not need that notification. (I hate voicemail means I actually have to return Calls.)

More ranting I'm to old to be up this late.

Thanks

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sschlesinger; 11/19/2008 at 04:38 AM.
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    not quite working all the way at the moment..more tomorrow...
    Very interesting. I hope to see more.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erenken View Post
    Very interesting. I hope to see more.
    Yea, me too. I've been waiting and waiting for someone more clever than I to figure out a way use the beacon light on the Pro.

Soon I hope!
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Hey Scottymomo, what does this line do?
    I had to comment it out on my phone because it was throwing an 'empty variable' error. I looked at the registry path and I think it's because the id key isn't the same on my phone (or is missing):

FlexEMc = RegRead ("HKLM","System\State\Shell\Notifications\Active", "CLSID" )
    #Message(FlexEMc)
    If (FlexEMc eq '{1B70F4A6-F103-40A1-82EC-45CC19E46889}')
    EM = 1
    Else
    EM = 0
    EndIf
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Hey Scottymomo, what does this line do?
    I had to comment it out on my phone because it was throwing an 'empty variable' error. I looked at the registry path and I think it's because the id key isn't the same on my phone (or is missing):

FlexEMc = RegRead ("HKLM","System\State\Shell\Notifications\Active", "CLSID" )
    #Message(FlexEMc)
    If (FlexEMc eq '{1B70F4A6-F103-40A1-82EC-45CC19E46889}')
    EM = 1
    Else
    EM = 0
    EndIf
    This is for folks that have Flexmail as their email client.. which I assume you do not... I should/will modify the code to check and see if the key exists first before executing that piece which should eliminate that error..

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sschlesinger View Post
    2nd during my experimentation with both files (yours and the one I edited) I noticed that I get a tape looking Icon which represents a voice mail even if I get a text message or missed call (see picture one). How ever once I check the text message the icon goes back to the way it should be. I also posted two pictures first pic is a missed text message with the tape looking Icon (voice mail). The second Picture I'm posting is what my screen looks like when there are no notication just for comparisons. And last I am using SPB mobile shell so not sure if that has something to do with it.
    Without doing anything fancy, the beacon is triggered by whether or not the one of the registry entries (there are a few of them) related to voicemail has a value greater than 0. Mobile shell must be looking at that reg entry and thus displaying the indication that you have a voicemail when you don't... without zbop-like hacking skills on the drivers etc for the beacon, that's the best I can offer at the moment

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    This is for folks that have Flexmail as their email client.. which I assume you do not... I should/will modify the code to check and see if the key exists first before executing that piece which should eliminate that error..
    Aah, gotcha, that would explain why it worked just fine once I commented it out.

Very nice work, Scottymomo. Thanks - this is actually the first time I've seen my Pro's beacon light since I use PhoneTag for voicemail. Wasn't entirely sure it worked.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Aah, gotcha, that would explain why it worked just fine once I commented it out.

Very nice work, Scottymomo. Thanks - this is actually the first time I've seen my Pro's beacon light since I use PhoneTag for voicemail. Wasn't entirely sure it worked.
    I use phoneAlarm and modified Scottymomo's script to key the beacon illuminating off PA's alarm state. You can comment out or delete all the other triggers and use this one:

MCc= RegRead ("HKCU","Software\pocketMax\phoneAlarm", "alarmState" )
    #Message(MCc)
    If (MCc > 0)
    MC = 1
    Else
    MC = 0
    EndIf

Works very nicely. I like being able to dismiss the notification/beacon without having to mark a message as read.

Thanks again, Scottymomo.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I use phoneAlarm and modified Scottymomo's script to key the beacon illuminating off PA's alarm state.
    Ok, well my tip on how to adapt the script to phoneAlarms notifications is probably less interesting as I was emailing back and forth with the developer Bruce and he went ahead and integrated the beacon notification fully into PA. Nice guy eh? phoneAlarm is a really amazing product and you can't beat how responsive and developer Bruce is.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I loaded mybeacon on my Pro and it's awesome! I've been dying to get some sort of indicator light on my Pro. This is a feature I've become dependent on from other WinMo and Blackberry devices. Nice work. Keep it coming
    Hi

I've tried to get this SW tweak to work on my Treo Pro but nothing happend? Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?
    Could it have something to do with that I'm running WisBar Advance 3 (and Wista Silver 4 skin) on my Phone? Id addition I have some other 3rd party SW installed.

Thanks for your help!

BR
    Ivar
    Treo Pro users:

-- New Unread email

Included:

Installation:

scottymomo i applaud these efforts but for some reason the application does not work for me. any advice on why that might be would be appreciated. i have reloaded twice and reset the device but still no beacon light.
    great jo...is there a way to leave it on? or does it just blink?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    scottymomo, when I "5. Click mybeacon.mscr and go", nothing happens on the screen, is it still being activated? My beacon doesn't flash with new unread email in my hotmail or new text message when screen is off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast