Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, did a quick search and turned up nothing...

Ready to throw this thing out the %#$!@ window

First they stick us with this weaksauce battery...
    Next they cripple the GP* so we can't use it off-network...
    And all of a sudden last night, my dang phone starts blinking red really fast (arrghhh!)

Seriously, WHAT is up with that!?!?

Am I the only one seeing this behavior?

EDIT: Do not take the content above serious, it was just a ruse.
    Last edited by zbop; 11/19/2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Sorry to hear you're having problems, have not encountered that one myself. For me, the battery got WAY better after about 2 weeks of conditioning. Had the same problem with my 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    And all of a sudden last night, my dang phone starts blinking red really fast (arrghhh!)
    Is the phone working again?

That sounds like a hardware failure of some sort.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hey guys, did a quick search and turned up nothing...

Ready to throw this thing out the %#$!@ window

First they stick us with this weaksauce battery...
    Next they cripple the GP* so we can't use it off-network...

Seriously, WHAT is up with that!?!?

Am I the only one seeing this behavior?
    I agree, the stock battery is totally inadequate. I bought the Seidio battery, and could not be happier with the life I am getting now, though the Batt door could be improved.

I have never had the problem you are desribing though.
    Blinking fast.....

Hmm...that sounds vaguely familiar. I think when I had that happen I soft reset and the issue went away.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Hmm...that sounds vaguely familiar. I think when I had that happen I soft reset and the issue went away.
    Yeah, I did a soft-reset and it went away. But then a few minutes later it started blinking orange, first slowly, then speeding up... After a while, it was stuck on green, not blinking and not plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That sounds like a hardware failure of some sort.
    Actually, I don't think it's a hardware problem, the phone is otherwise working fine. I *suppose* it could be software-related, but what would make it behave like that?

Seriously, NO one else but me has this issue?
    You using TreoAlerts or similiar LED program? If so, try deleting it.

We can all agree that the battery is a joke. I told you in your first post in this section, patience, patience with this device. I almost chucked mine a few times as well. I'm on device 3. The 800 is no 700wx.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Yeah, I did a soft-reset and it went away. But then a few minutes later it started blinking orange, first slowly, then speeding up... After a while, it was stuck on green, not blinking and not plugged in.
    Okay, now THAT I've never seen.

Actually, I don't think it's a hardware problem, the phone is otherwise working fine. I *suppose* it could be software-related, but what would make it behave like that?

What software do you have installed?

I have not had that particular problem, but I have had cases were software was causing problems in areas I never expected it might.

I'd advise that if you're adding several apps in any given day, that you slow down and only do about 1 every day or few days, to ensure it does not cause any problems.

I could not get mine right, till I RTN Reset (hard reset would probably work just as well, I just like making sure I killed everything) and then I started slowly adding applications. One app every day or every few days depending on how I felt about the application. Continually making certain NOTHING acted up after adding it. If ANYTHING acts up after adding something, I RTN Reset and go back to the backup I made BEFORE installing that new application.

It seemed on the Palm OS, that S/W bugs were more isolated in their scope of influence, but it seems at least on my 800w, a problem application can cause all sorts of odd behavior even in features it has no known involvement with.

Mine is stable and I'm taking it slow.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Okay, now THAT I've never seen.

What software do you have installed?
    I hard reset my phone last night, so it was a stock install.

Oh yeah... I *may* have installed a little of my own code on it
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You using TreoAlerts or similiar LED program? If so, try deleting it.
    I actually wrote the low-level code for TreoAlerts to manipulate the LED (everything but the standard green blink), but good point.

I told you in your first post in this section, patience, patience with this device.
    You certainly did!
    Oh yeah... I *may* have installed a little of my own code on it
    You need to blame the person who's buggy code caused problems.
    Well zbop, I'm not going to say anything else about your wiggin' out problem, because I think that's been solved .

In addition to what I mentioned about slowly installing applications, here's a couple other things I'm personally doing.
    • Soft reset before installing new applications and soft reset after installing it. I just know it's helped sometimes doing installs that way.
    • When upgrading software, uninstall the prior version manually, soft reset, install the new version, soft reset.

Those are just some things that work for me. Sometimes odd things have happened with software that should not have, when I didn't do what I mentioned above. Kind of like installing a new piece of software on a PC and needing to reboot afterward and even rebooting before, just to make sure things are all clear prior to install.

In the words of Captain James T. Kirk, steady as she goes .
    I actually wrote the low-level code for TreoAlerts to manipulate the LED (everything but the standard green blink), but good point.
    LOL! Here I was developing a theory about how the 800w had some weird code related to charging that wasn't fully vetted in Palm's patch.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    LOL! Here I was developing a theory about how the 800w had some weird code related to charging that wasn't fully vetted in Palm's patch.
    Uh oh, El Jefe is in the house... I better fess up before he pulls out "Da Hammer."

Of course, I am pulling your collective leg and the first post in this thread is entirely disingenuous...

My phone is wiggin out because I am making it wig out, effectively I cracked the LED logic last night and can now control the LED (colors and blink speeds). Anyways, I need to do more testing before I can post the CAB and let hannip integrate it with Treo Alerts. I am still trying to fix a problem with the LED driver not preserving blink rate when it goes into suspend mode.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well zbop, I'm not going to say anything else about your wiggin' out problem, because I think that's been solved .

In addition to what I mentioned about slowly installing applications, here's a couple other things I'm personally doing.
    • Soft reset before installing new applications and soft reset after installing it. I just know it's helped sometimes doing installs that way.
    • When upgrading software, uninstall the prior version manually, soft reset, install the new version, soft reset.
    Those are just some things that work for me. Sometimes odd things have happened with software that should not have, when I didn't do what I mentioned above. Kind of like installing a new piece of software on a PC and needing to reboot afterward and even rebooting before, just to make sure things are all clear prior to install.

In the words of Captain James T. Kirk, steady as she goes .
    Sound advice!

Believe me, I abuse my phone in ways that it was never intended, so yeah I backup and hard reset probably more than anyone, so yeah, what he said...
    Sound advice!

Believe me, I abuse my phone in ways that it was never intended, so yeah I backup and hard reset probably more than anyone, so yeah, what he said...
    Um..No...I have done a hard reset once per week since ownership because of the wiginess. I've already contacted Guiness and yes it's a record.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Sound advice!

I beg to differ!

At least when I was working on custom ROM's, I was hard resetting 10+ times a day most days.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Um..No...I have done a hard reset once per week since ownership because of the wiginess. I've already contacted Guiness and yes it's a record.
    I wish I'd kept track of my hard resets. Since I develop a lot, and play with DLL's not designed for the 800w, I end up hard resetting quite often when I'm working on something.

Of course outside of working on something, I only hard reset very rarely (in fact I had my first one recently). But while working on something I'm usually hard resetting 10+ times a day, for a few weeks in a row. Of course I tend to work in spurts, so then it's a few weeks with no resets, so you might still have me beat.
  19.    #19  
    LOL, guys I didn't realize that number of hard resets per day was such a distinction of honor, but hey I'll concede...
    LOL, guys I didn't realize that number of hard resets per day was such a distinction of honor, but hey I'll concede...
    It's an honor I would gladly pass up!

There's nothing worse than having to wait 30-45 minutes because you forgot a single quote.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast