Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    Have you experienced this? In my Treo Pro everytime I start Google maps and use GPS, my Treo Pro keeps seeking for satellite signal in excess of 45 sec, and in many ocassions now it has taken up to 3mts to lock into GPS satellites. I dont' know what to think anymore, if it is a hardware or software/bug issue. Who else is experiencing this same anomally?
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
  2. #2  
    Thats pretty normal. Most GPS's wait till they have 5 or 8 satellites in contact. Also depends on satellites orbits when your trying to locate.
  3. #3  
    I have had the same experience. With other GPS devices, the same thing happens.
  4.    #4  
    This is very strange and if it has to do a sotware issue & Palm should come out w/a fix b/c to shed $500 on a device w/a GPS problem, a crack come on we're not rich we're in a struggling economy and we support Palm by purchasing a $500 device, can Palm support us.
  5. #5  
    Chestvrg:

    30 seconds to several minutes is perfectly normal with standalone GPS (in fact, that's rather quick).

    Even on an assisted GPS device (such as my 800w), that sort of time frame would be fairly normal. aGPS devices typically pick up satellites faster, but there's no guarantee that it will (for various reasons it may have to fall back on more standalone GPS methods).

    The time frame you're talking about is normal. Asking for Palm to come out with a fix for it would be like asking them to come out with a fix because your screen is square. There's nothing to fix. (As is evidenced by the two previous posts.)
  6. #6  
    If you get your GPS lock with an assisted gps app like google maps first, it helps the standalone apps get a lock.

    As coppertop found here:
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Well here's what I done.

    Set the External GPS application setting to COM4, Hardware to NONE. WLS setting to COM4.

    I then ran GoogleMaps, got a satellite fix there and switch to WLS with Google running in the background. I got a satellite fix real quick with WLS. I then closed everything out, waited a few minutes, ran WLS again and had a satellite acquisition withing a minute.

    I don't know if this is an issue of WLS's GPS interface needing a kickstart but it know works very closely, performance wise, to the Moto Q9h.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #7  
    Berd... I guess misery loves company because the same issues are present with the Fuze. Makes me wonder if it's an AT&T issue as oppose to a software glitch.

    I have to go through the same work around to get WLS to work with the GPS.

    Can one satellite be more receptive to certain applications than others? Or could the GPS chip be more receptive to one application over another? I wouldn't think it matters.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Berd... I guess misery loves company because the same issues are present with the Fuze. Makes me wonder if it's an AT&T issue as oppose to a software glitch.

    I have to go through the same work around to get WLS to work with the GPS.

    Can one satellite be more receptive to certain applications than others? Or could the GPS chip be more receptive to one application over another? I wouldn't think it matters.
    Although,

    I never had this slow acquisition with my q9h.
    Just call me Berd.
  9. #9  
    45 seconds is pretty fast for a cold start!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  10. #10  
    You've got a point Berd.

    Could the aGPS be interfering with the satellite feeds? I wonder if it would work better by disabling aGPS? Might have to give that a try in the morning.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    You've got a point Berd.

    Could the aGPS be interfering with the satellite feeds? I wonder if it would work better by disabling aGPS? Might have to give that a try in the morning.
    From everything I have read, aGPS should actually speed up satellite acquisition.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  12. #12  
    True.

    But everything also points that if GoogleMaps can get a satellite fix in under a minute, so should Windows Live Search.

    There's so many inconsistencies in this would it be surprising if aGPS slowed things down instead of speeding them up?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    There's so many inconsistencies in this would it be surprising if aGPS slowed things down instead of speeding them up?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AT&T's aGPS network fairly new?

    Very well could be bugs in the aGPS servers increasing the time.....
  14.    #14  
    I will try installing Windows Live Search and see how it haves w/the Pro's GPS chip.
  15. #15  
    Okay... here's something odd. I tried the aGPS vs. GPS today with the Fuze.

    Clear skies, not a cloud in the sky type conditions. Using Windows Live Search from a cold start.

    aGPS assisted satellite fix took 58 seconds. I then waited two hours with the phone off and timed satellite acquisition without aGPS; 47 seconds.

    First, I was stunned that WLS got a fix that fast (never happened with the Pro). With the clear skies I didn't expect aGPS to be much help but did think the aGPS time would be quicker. I don't know if the clear skies had anything to do with it or that the extra 11 seconds is due to the satellite signal dealing with the aGPS software.

    Clouds are supposed to roll in tonight so I'll try it again tomorrow.
  16. #16  
    Once you connect with aGPS then the phone *SHOULD* store the data, meaning a connection with GPS will be just as fast.

    Typically at least a few days data is downloaded, there are programs that can extend that 5 or more days.


    Interestingly enough, I noticed this in the Treo Pro's registry:

    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
    "ServerPort"=dword:00001C6B
    "ServerIP"="193.253.42.109"
    "QosPerformance"=dword:00000059
    "QoSAccuracy"=dword:00000032
    "TimeBetweenFixes"=dword:00000001
    "NumberFixes"=dword:3B9AC9FF
    "GPSMode"=dword:00000002
    "EnableAGPS"=dword:00000000
    Someone want to try enabling that key and see if it makes a difference?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Once you connect with aGPS then the phone *SHOULD* store the data, meaning a connection with GPS will be just as fast.

    Typically at least a few days data is downloaded, there are programs that can extend that 5 or more days.


    Interestingly enough, I noticed this in the Treo Pro's registry:

    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
    "ServerPort"=dword:00001C6B
    "ServerIP"="193.253.42.109"
    "QosPerformance"=dword:00000059
    "QoSAccuracy"=dword:00000032
    "TimeBetweenFixes"=dword:00000001
    "NumberFixes"=dword:3B9AC9FF
    "GPSMode"=dword:00000002
    "EnableAGPS"=dword:00000000
    Someone want to try enabling that key and see if it makes a difference?
    Checking it out now.
    Will let you know.
    Thanks

    <edit> @ Ebag,

    So far I'm not sure if I'm noticing any difference.
    I will leave it at "EnableAGPS"=dword:00000001
    for a few days and see.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/17/2008 at 02:59 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  18. #18  
    What happened to the post that someone made in this thread that linked to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431 about AstroGPS and another app?

    I was going to give it a try, but I think the post was deleted.
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Checking it out now.
    Will let you know.
    Thanks

    <edit> @ Ebag,

    So far I'm not sure if I'm noticing any difference.
    I will leave it at "EnableAGPS"=dword:00000001
    for a few days and see.
    If you already have the GPS data, I'm not sure you would notice a difference.

    The only way to really test it might be to hard reset (unless you can find the GPS data).
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Checking it out now.
    Will let you know.
    Thanks

    <edit> @ Ebag,

    So far I'm not sure if I'm noticing any difference.
    I will leave it at "EnableAGPS"=dword:00000001
    for a few days and see.
    You can test it two ways (besides the hard reset as ebag mentioned)
    1. Don't use any GPS for 4-8 hrs
    2. Move/Drive yourself a good distance (20 miles?)

    When you get a GPS lock, all that info is stored in a temp file and that orbital data is "good enough" for the system to keep tracking satellites with out recalibration.

    This is the difference between a "cold" start and "warm" start that many refer too when using GPS. So you want to get it to a "cold" start mode (1 & 2 above).

    Once in a cold start mode, if using aGPS you should be able to get a lock on 5-8 satellites and location info within 15-20 seconds. But: if using AT&T, it's unclear if their aGPS system is online (and in your location).

    You can also try this is more difficult locations: in NYC, it was real difficult to get a SiRFIII system to lock in under 3-5 minutes (building interference). But aGPS does it within about 12 seconds. Canyons/mountains also work well.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions